5.0 out of 5 stars Vegas keeps blowing away the competition
I absolutely LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this software and have never looked back. I've upgraded from Version 9 to get the more 3D processing for generating 3D videos (none of the competition can do as of this writing).

Published on November 21, 2010 by David Lozinski

1.0 out of 5 stars No support, unreliable, unstable
Published on June 30, 2011 by Joseph F. Delgado

5.0 out of 5 stars Vegas keeps blowing away the competition, November 21, 2010
This review is from: Vegas Pro 10 [Old Version] (Software)

I was a newbie at making videos, and started off with Roxio Video Wave (which I would also highly recommend to anyone starting brand new). However, as my skills progressed, I found I kept wanting to do more than Roxio could accommodate.

I trialed lots of software (I tried Corel's suite, Nero's, Cyberlink's PowerDirector, Adobe Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro), with my hopes set the highest on Cyberlink PowerDirector and Adobe Premiere Elements.

Being a Photoshop user since Version 3 and loving that program, I couldn't wait to try the relevant Adobe Premiere Elements and Elements Pro. Unfortunately, they were total disappointments because of their complexity, kept crashing (those users who complain about that aren't kidding), and the lack of some basic intuitive interface workings. Plus with Adobe they install all sorts of extra "crap" software (bloatware I think the technical term is?) that runs checking registration, etc.

PowerDirector was great, but not expandable and had quite a few little annoyances with its interface I couldn't get over.

Reluctantly, I tried Sony Vegas Pro. I was reluctant because seriously... how many people have received decent software from a camera or hardware electronics manufacturer? Zip. Zero. You get those cheesy programs to make short clips or transfer files from your camera to computer, but that's about it.

Well, let me say Sony's Creative Software division that's created Vegas Pro has certainly altered my stereotype! They're a godsend!

I had a learning curve of about a day with Vegas getting used to their terminology as opposed to Roxio's (for example, in Vegas Pro media on a timeline is referred to as an "event". Roxio also has the same functionality as "envelopes", but Roxio doesn't call it "envelopes").

Anyway, Vegas Pro's functionality is exactly what I need/want in a software package. It does all the little things I find "non professional" producers would do. For instance, if I want a clip in a Vegas Project, I can just drag and drop it from Windows explorer onto the timeline and Vegas automatically does the import into its "library". In any Adobe project or PowerDirector, it's a 2-step process of first having to "import" it into your media library and then dragging from your media library onto your timeline. Vegas Pro knows what you want, and does everything automatically for you when you drag/drop (eg, import it into the media library, etc).

Vegas installed easily, starts in less than a minute on my 4-year old Dell laptop, renders quickly, and hasn't crashed once. It's also not bloated software, and doesn't install more software than you need.

Vegas Pro can handle almost any kind of media file you want to throw at it.

It comes with an amazing set of transitions and video effects out of the box (as PowerDirector does). But if you want more, dozens of companies produce hundreds of additional plugins (both audio and video) allowing you to do more. Two great ones are 3D Six Pack from Pixelan and the NeuBlue additions.

Video is a cinch to work with on the time line. In the same single clip you can easily slow video down, speed it up, and even reverse it without having to use or create separate subclips, and all just by clicking and dragging the mouse pointer. Super fantastic.

With audio, it's a snap to work with. I've even created a few remixes just by working with sound clips across the time line, doing fades, and adjusting audio envelopes (eg, the volume, playback speed, etc) on the time line. I can convert from anything to anything or vice-versa -- no more audio software needed!

Another big advantage of Vegas Pro over Adobe Premiere Pro is you can preview transitions and video effects *before* you actually apply them! In Premiere Pro, you can't do that. Who the heck wants to have to memorize transitions/effects to know what they might look like on your timeline before rendering?

Anyway, with Vegas you can also customize just about everything; windows can be docked however you like; you can write your own scripts to include your own functionality using .NET; the PDF manual was a breeze to read through and very comprehensive with great examples (free download from Sony's website);

After learning their Vegas lingo, it's become even easier and things just work.

The three drawbacks I find to Vegas (which are really minor) are:
1) the media library that came with it has nothing but "demo" clips which I can't use unless I purchase them;
2) the "trimmer" window where you can work with sound/video clips separately outside the timeline works differently than Roxio's similar interface. In Roxio, when you set an "in" and "out" point in a media clip and insert that into the timeline, that's the version (eg, you can't extend beyond the boundaries of the media w/o reediting the in/out points). In Vegas' trimmer window, you can set the in/out point, but when dragged onto the timeline you can extend beyond those points if you need to (I personally wish it was locked like it is in Roxio because otherwise there's no point to having the trimmer window as you can just do all your work in the timeline);
3) the Sony Message boards are restricted to people who have registered their software. So as a "trial user" you're out of luck. Also when registering (not activating) you have to provide Sony with all sorts of information (which I refused to do).

I've been recommending this software to anyone who's thinking of wanting to do more with creating videos than just the basic stuff. I'm not a fan of Sony products (computers, cameras, video cams, etc), but I absolutely love this piece of software. As much as I love Adobe Photoshop (and recently purchased the CS4 version), for video production I'm definitely a Sony software convert.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, powerful, and easy to use, February 2, 2011
Anonymoose (Anywhere, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vegas Pro 10 [Old Version] (Software)
I have experience with many professional level NLEs, and Vegas is by far the easiest to use. I have been using Vegas Pro since version 8, and I have never had it crash, even on my sub-par performance PCs. I have crashed Final Cut Pro on a Mac Pro workstation many times, and this was with 2x2.26ghz Intel Xeon quad cores, and 8gb DDR3 1066mhz RAM. My PC has a 2.2ghz AMD Turion X2 Dual core, and 4gb of DDR2 800mhz RAM. If you don't have a quad core CPU, and anything less than 4gb of RAM, using Adobe to edit video will be very painful.

Vegas is very good at its user interface, and is very intuitive. If you have a basic understanding of how NLEs work, you will be able to make basic edits as soon as you open it. I've never had to close Vegas and reopen it, due to RAM usage. When I use Premiere and After Effects, I have to do this about every 20 minutes. Another very nice thing about Vegas is that it's disc usage is very small. If you've ever used Premiere, you know that it will create literally dozens of files and logs for a very simple project, making file management difficult. Vegas projects will only ever make one .veg file. I have never had to render my timeline in Vegas, whereas this must be done in most other NLEs. Rendering in After Effects and Premiere gets old very fast.

Unless you have a specific reason to use Final Cut or Adobe, (such as plugins), I would highly recommend using Vegas.

1.0 out of 5 stars No support, unreliable, unstable, June 30, 2011
This review is from: Vegas Pro 10 [Old Version] (Software)
As an experienced editor, I need software that will actually work under all circumstances, not just when doing a five-minute tutorial for YouTube. Vegas Pro 10 suffers from the same lack of actual technical support from Sony, who leaves its training and support to VASST and tenth graders on YouTube. While it promises to be a powerful, solid editor, certainly loaded with great features. try using more than a handful of plug-ins on a 30-minute project, and see where it goes: constant crashes, disappearance of audio for no reason and, worst of all, no explanation of why any of it is happening. I use this software on both Windows Vista and 7 on either a 3 or 5 GB RAM machine, Intel dual and quad. If you are making family videos or three-minute spots to enhance with flashy and otherwise sophomoric effects, this is the software for you. If you cannot handle frustration, stay away from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars finally one with options for 24 bit 96khz audio, November 20, 2010
This review is from: Vegas Pro 10 [Old Version] (Software)
I bought their vegas studio ultra 10, and I was able to get it to save 24 bits, 48khz audio using the lossless windows codec, but I had recorded a performance at 96khz 24 bit, and that's what I wanted to play. I tried PowerDirector 9, but it didn't provide anything over 16 bits uncompressed at 48khz. Finally, with vegas pro 10, there are a bunch of better audio rates and depths available. It also looks like it is rendering pretty fast compared to studio ultra 10.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really useless. It keeps crashing and terrible customer support., December 5, 2011
Samantha Smith (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vegas Pro 10 [Old Version] (Software)
Okay, I just want to say that I've tried the free trial version on the site and read the reviews on this page before I've order it even the bad ones. I was thinking to myself that 'it can't be that bad' so I went a head and took my chances anyway. My friends kept recommending this to me and I really need an good editing software so I can edit my HD videos for youtube.

It arrived to my house and I was really excited to use it. I've downloaded the software and did everything the instructions told me to do. I've tried using it and it kept freezing and crashing on me. I couldn't use it at all. Everytime I use it there's a error pop up message saying it's not responding and freezes on me.

So I've tried contacting them about the problem on their facebook page. They've ignored it. They've never responded to me but they could respond to other people on their page that is either prasing their stuff or asking questions. I've even tried emailing them on their site and I've never gotten an email back from them. I went to Best Buy so they can have a look at it and the guys at Best Buy don't even know why it's not working. They've said that my computer has all the system requirements for it to work properly. Soon I've returned it and got a full refund. It's no point in keeping something that don't even work and I've spent $500 on this piece of crap and they won't even contact me. I've ended up buying an MUCH cheaper editing software for $40 and it works good.

Oh yeah, and here's the kicker. I've brought this in October. It's December 5th and the customer support is NOW getting back to me. It took them TWO months to email me back. It's too late now. I don't even care about the problem anymore. I've already sent it back for a refund. I don't recommend this product at all and they really need to work on their customer support.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, but needs to work better with audio effects., June 6, 2011
This review is from: Vegas Pro 10 [Old Version] (Software)
Let's start off by saying that I love the software, it is awesome!!! I have found almost nothing wrong with it. With me being a loyal Sony Vegas Pro user since version 8, this is the best version yet! The one thing that can be a bit annoying, if you add tons of audio effects (and I mean A LOT!!!), it can easily get messed up while playing them in the preview window, my last film it even stayed messed up after rendering. The audio effect was placed in exactly the correct place while editing, but after rendering the audio itself was about a minute after where it was supposed to be. This is one serious thing that I would like to see fixed. Other than that I have had a few odd problems with key-framing with it seemingly putting in invisible key-frames (call me crazy.) that would mess-up some of the process. Other than those somewhat minor issues, it's been working great. In all of the Sony Vegas Pro versions that I had, I have never come across loading problems, but in this one the first few days that I had it, it wouldn't load up any of the windows inside of the program. It works just fine now, but I don't know what caused it, or fixed it. This is my favorite hands down video editor. I highly recommend it, if you are new to this stuff, I recommend buying Sony Movie studio first, it is far cheaper and has many of the same features that this does. I will continue buying every version of this as soon as it comes out, I have yet to find anything better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Product, April 16, 2012
This review is from: Vegas Pro 10 [Old Version] (Software)
I love Amazon and I love this product! Amazon really saved me on this purchase and I appreciate it. I'm going to skip the upgrade to 11 and will update when 12 comes out because I'm so pleased with how well this works. It does everything that I need it too and is easy to work with. I only wish it could do flash files- I have to convert them to wmv files first but no big deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Updated review, October 2, 2011
M. Payne "Marjie" (Centennial, CO, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vegas Pro 10 [Old Version] (Software)
I left a neutral review when I first received Vegas Pro because learning it as rapidly as I needed to appeared to be a daunting task (I did mention that I didn't know enough to rate it). Now that I have had time to learn the basics plus a bit of more advanced techniques I love this product. I am editing and doing some of the videography on a volunteer documentary project and had to rebuild that project which had been started on a non professional level software. Vegas Pro has many user friendly features and has on-line Webinars to help learn how to use it. I really love that I can be doing edits at the same time the movie is running in the time line.
I still have a lot to learn but highly recommend this product!

2.0 out of 5 stars Great software...if you can get it to load, May 19, 2011
This review is from: Vegas Pro 10 [Old Version] (Software)
I bought Sony Vegas Pro 10 and it was great for about 3 weeks. Then one day I clicked on it and it did nothing. I looked online for answers and this is apparently happening to a lot of machines. I did everything I could (reinstalled, deleted registry entries and reinstalled again, did a complete uninstall following the instructions from their website, unplugged USB devices that might interfere, etc.) short of formatting my computer and it still won't work. Not a good sign for software that cost $500+.

2.0 out of 5 stars If you want any support just forget it, September 12, 2011
This review is from: Vegas Pro 10 [Old Version] (Software)
I bought this after having Vegas 6 for years. It would not burn dvds from previously prepared files which is something I absolutely need and there was no reason I could figure out. I went to support and there is no support. If you pay extra you get to call them. If not you write an email and they ignore it. My question has been unanswered for over a week now. I went on the forum and asked there and no response there either.
So unless you are never going to need help for what seems to be a bug in the software, better get something else.

Vegas Pro 10 [Old Version]
Vegas Pro 10 [Old Version] by Sony Creative Software (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
Out of stock