5.0 out of 5 stars Australia's healthiest export
Published on May 21, 2010 by Thomas Rowland

3.0 out of 5 stars Vegemite
I love Vegemite, so please don't misassociate the rating. I've a relatively small kitchen and associated pantry (i.e. actually use some of the cabinet space as pantry space). Wanted the "400g Jar" as advertised, because it fits where I want it to fit. Instead, seller sent 2 x 200g jars. It's an annoyance to not get exactly that for which you paid.
Published 18 months ago by Charles Taumoepeau

5.0 out of 5 stars Australia's healthiest export, May 21, 2010
This review is from: Vegemite 400g Jar (Misc.)
Vegemite Vegemite 400g Jaris practically unknown in North America, but I'll bet there is no one is Australia of an ethnicity who has never heard of Vegemite, and of those who have, almost everyone will have some at home. Every restaurant and side of the road eatery carries it. It comes in tubes, jars, and little packets like jams and butter substitutes do in the US. It is Vegemite, the concentrated yeast extract spread that goes on most slices of bread or toast Down Under. Dark brown to be almost black, it has a strong taste, so if you're a novice, spread it thin. Americans who try Vegemite fall into two categories: those who hate it or love it immediately. Don't take my word for it, check it out online: there is no better sourse for B vitamins than Vegemite. If your are used to nothing other than peanut butter and jam on your bread and toast, you are ready for a change, a change for a low-calorie healthy product that you won't be able to stop talking about. It's flavour is unique; it's closest cousin is the British and New Zealand Marmite, though similar, is not the same. Ordering it in the US is more expensive than getting it Oz, but it is a sacrifce that I am happy to make just to have it on the table.

5.0 out of 5 stars Call me a convert, January 3, 2011
This review is from: Vegemite 400g Jar (Misc.)
I was frightened by my breakfast today. Vegemite on buttered toast. Yes, I had researched the traditional way to eat it. But still... I was scared. I faced my fear. I opened the jar. I stared down the thick, dark, brown, gooey goo. I took a spoon and took control. I spooned out a tiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnny bit. Tiny. I put it on the edge of my toast. I made a face. I took a bite. I smiled. In dismay. In pleasure. I picked up the spoon again and commanded the brown goo to give me more more more. Well, still sparingly, but, nevertheless... more. I used no more than 1/2 teaspoon on my slice of toast. I had a second slice with another almost 1/2 teaspoon. I updated my Facebook status. People replied in curiosity, in fellowship or in disgust. Or all of the above. About an hour later I craved it again, and I indulged again. Between waking and dinnertime, three slices with that just-less-than-one-half-teaspoonful of Vegemite was all I consumed, and, I swear, I was pleasantly satiated all day and full of energy. Can't wait until breakfast tomorrow! :) (Standard disclaimer: I've been vegetarian for almost 18 years. This had an almost beefy taste. Salty, beefy, vegan, lots of B vitamins. Yum.)

5.0 out of 5 stars I just adore my Vegemite!, May 14, 2010
This review is from: Vegemite 400g Jar (Misc.)
I was a little leery about trying Vegemite...it has such bad press outside of Australia, but I find I absolutely love it. It is extremely salty, slightly beerish and very savoury. So far I have mostly consumed it with bread and butter...but I have already started taking tastes straight from the jar. I also find I like it better with whole wheat bread than white.

I think the main challenge for the uninitiated is that it looks like it might be sweet. It is not sweet at all and you should use it very sparingly mixed with plenty of butter, at least at first.

Sadly, my husband also likes it and my supply is dwindling rapidly. I wish they sold it in a larger size.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fave breakfast spread for my husband!, January 30, 2010
This review is from: Vegemite 400g Jar (Misc.)
After looking around at specialty stores in my locale, I realized that I could buy Vegemite for less through Amazon's food distribution. I bought 2 jars for my husband, for Hanukkah - he was thrilled! Next best thing to returning to Australia & bringing some back in our luggage! Wish Amazon carried the larger sized jar!

5.0 out of 5 stars For Aussies and die-hard Aussie-Fans, May 13, 2010
This review is from: Vegemite 400g Jar (Misc.)
So apparently Australians spread Vegemite on their bread slices. The Germans think it's Nutella before realizing that it is FAR from it. I would never put it on my bread because you have to grow up with it to LOVE it. I have put it on a hard-boilt egg and then it's quite pleasant. I gave it 5 stars because everybody should get a jar and let their friends taste it for the fun of it. It's a yeast spread and it tastes very salty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, October 30, 2010
This review is from: Vegemite 400g Jar (Misc.)
Well, this product isn't a big success outside Australia and New Zealand. It's made of yeast and has a strong flavour, but still I like it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars An Acquired Taste for Most, February 25, 2012
Susan Jackson (Honolulu, HI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vegemite 600 Grams (Misc.)
I love Vegemite and Marmite! It is definitely an acquired taste for most Americans, and I learned to love it a long time ago. My taste for it was reinvigorated by a wonderful trip to New Zealand where it is commonplace. Not so much here - hard to find and expensive for a small jar. It is a yeasty, salty, umami taste treat - perfect spread lightly on toast, sandwiches, rice cakes. It's not for everyone, but I was delighted to find it through Amazon.com.

5.0 out of 5 stars From the states, April 17, 2013
I have always wanted to try vegemite, and this year i bought some and WOW is it good it's very salty and has a bit of a beef taste. With vegemite a little bit goes a long way. For the price why not try something new To my aussie mates you have a convert

5.0 out of 5 stars Never fails, May 16, 2010
Gina (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vegemite 400g Jar (Misc.)
it's Vegemite, it's good and it's available in America. It gets to the point where you don't care how much it costs, as long as you have it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vegemite is Vegemite - exempt from review :), March 7, 2010
This review is from: Vegemite 400g Jar (Misc.)
Okay so I only just thought to put Vegemite in the amazon search box - and found I could buy it. I have to say, as an Aussie I think it is hilarious to be reviewing Vegemite...:) I mean it is not like they are going to change it - maybe they will add it to a few more things like they have to cheese slices, crackers (aka bikkies etc). But we would revolt!!! Vegemite is vegemite (and we are Happy Little Vegemites) so, I mean sorry to all the Americans who keel over dead at the taste...So I think people can review for entertainment purposes only. I mean my friend thinks it is something they scrape out of beer barrels (he he). I am just glad there is another place to replenish in case of emergencies. Go Aussie Go!!

Vegemite 400g Jar