4.0 out of 5 stars Good beginning ideas
If you are considering planting a small garden for the first time, this book will offer you many options and ideas. If it does nothing else, it will convince you to get going in the garden, something we all need encouragement to do.

Published on May 1, 2012 by Alex S

3.0 out of 5 stars starters only
excellent for absolute beginners,some good tips but to simple for specialised information.This book has started my interest to look for more information
Published 18 months ago by Lieve Beutels

4.0 out of 5 stars Good beginning ideas, May 1, 2012
This review is from: Vegetable Container Gardening: 7 Easy Steps To Healthy Harvests from Small Spaces (Kindle Edition)

Don't have space for a garden? Just use a container. Want to keep your weeds to a minimum? Use newspaper and cardboard. These and many other ideas will spark your imagination.

This is not a fully detailed book, it talks about drip irrigation, for example, without going into great detail of telling you how to put together a system. It discusses companion planting while giving a few examples, but without providing a full list. But it will set you along the way, and it will give you much to think about.

If you want a more detailed book, they are out there, but this one is well worth starting with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful and Informative, April 2, 2012
JP (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I thoroughly enjoyed this little book. It's full of gardening tips, some I knew, some I forgot, some I never heard of. Growing up we had a large yard with a beautiful thriving garden. Now living in a smaller space makes having a "real" garden not possible, but I can still have a container garden. I've had them in apartments before with great results. Trying to get back into it after moving I got this book and am all jazzed up ready to head off to the nursery to get some seeds and my balcony garden going. I've alwyas preferred growing things from seeds, and was happy she had a section on that. Some books seem to think you can only grow vegetables from nursery-purchased shoots. I've always grown things from seeds though. Somehow I feel more accomplishment at it. :)

I'll definitly start with her Top 10 List of Easiest Vegetables to Grow. Ten is already more than I have room for, but I've grown some of them before with good results so will start there.

Overall a great little book and a good starter for anyone who is new to container gardening. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Info, April 2, 2012
A friend loaned me this book, and at just the right time. I'm getting ready to order the seeds for my garden, and I've been contemplating container gardening.

This book has lots of information on not only what to plant but how to plant, maintain and harvest. It also gives advice on what to plant together to confuse any pesky bugs.

It looks like I'll be referring to this book all growing season as it has lots of valuable information for those of us new to container gardening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Advice for Would-Be Container Gardeners, February 10, 2012
I really enjoyed reading this book. It took me back to a few years ago when my hubby and I had a garden plot in our back yard. Then we moved to our current house and our yard has tons of trees so a graden just wasn't practical. We miss the pleasure we derived from gardening so I've often thought about how we might have a small patch. This book has provided me with the answer to that question.

Vegetable Container Gardening has provided me with everything I need to know to start a small-scale container garden on my deck this spring when the snow has disappeared. The information in the book is set out in easy-to-follow steps and is practical and complete. The seven steps are in logical sequence and are thorough in their presentation. They make good common sense and are practical and easy to follow.

The top 10 best veggies to grow is an excellent list and the tips throughout the book provide a well-rounded look at the topic. Of all the things I learned from this book I think the best for me was the information on upside-down gardening. I'm definitely going to try a few upside-down hanging planters. It will be fun to have a few veggies growing again and I can't wait to start!

Thanks for a great book!

Marg Ruttan

5.0 out of 5 stars Raised Bed Gardening and Container Gardening, February 17, 2012
We have been raised bed gardening off and on for the last fifteen years or so, and I have been considering adding container gardening to the mix.

This is an excellent, well laid out, no nonsense guide, easy for beginners but with information that even more experienced gardeners can use. If you have ever wanted a garden, but thought that it may not be practical due to your living situation, go ahead and grab this book... I am sure that there is a strong possibility that you will find some options here, no matter where you live!

I particularly liked the straight forward approach used here. The book is direct and to the point... all in all, a good read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Small Spaces, February 16, 2012
I live in an apartment and I've always wanted to grow some of my own vegetables. I was completely clueless about gardening but this book has given me confidence that it can be done. With just some balcony space and some containers I can start my own little vegetable garden. The book offers practical advice and tips for any aspiring gardener, such as what to plant, how to maintain it and how to harvest the fruits of your efforts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource, February 13, 2012
I've always wanted to grow some of my own produce but have been waiting until I had a place with an area I could turn into a garden. Generally I dismissed the patio plants at the hardware stores as novelty or impractical. I had no idea what was really possible. This book has been a great resource to help me plan out an array of vegetables and herbs in the limited space I have. She offers practical advice to help make decisions about where and what to grow, as well as on maintenance and harvesting. I'm really looking forward to watching everything grow and having access to such fresh food.

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative and easy to follow guidelines on getting started, May 19, 2013
I am considering doing some containers for herbs and greens. This was just what I needed. Would recommend this for the beginner

3.0 out of 5 stars starters only, January 9, 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars More Work Makes Better Books, September 26, 2012
It does not look like the author sent this book through a proofreader or a formatter. The information is good, but the mistakes in the text detract from the information. I do like the specific detail given on individual plants and the companion plants which work well together.

Rate and Discover Movies