Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Vegetables
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on August 9, 1999
I purchased this book hoping to find some meatless entrees to fit into my regular non-vegan diet. There are a few recipes for your run-of-the-mill veggies like broccoli, cabbage, corn and string beans. Most of the book is dedicated to vegetables like truffles, watercress, sorrel, salsify, rutabagas, cardoons and fiddlehead ferns, to name a few. I was disappointed with the small number of recipes that I would consider using in such a large and expensive book.
11 comment|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2015
The recipes are too fancy.
on April 2, 2010
I tried the the basic steamed broccoli recipe because it had a new twist, so I thought I'd give it a try. I thought that a very easy dish would be a fair test for the book. It was way too salty, and not palatable. Sad, because my family likes that veg! Cooking is something I'm passionate about as I make dinner 5-6 time a week, and I'm not talking mac'n cheese.

The physical quality of the book is poor, the paper is the high acid type that will yellow and crumble quickly, and visually lacking. I feel sorry for the author because the few photos in the book look like something from a 70's Better Homes and Gardens, which my mom still has, which inspired me to cook beyond that stuff.

I'd suggest the CIA books instead, as the recipes are better tasting and have some cred.

Ruth Reichl's Gourmet cook book is a real winner, too, and never disappoints... good for the average kitchen.