Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Vegetarian Kids' Cookbook: Fresh, fun food show in 350 step-by-step photographs
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on July 21, 2013
I ordered this for my daughter's 9th birthday. She's a vegetarian and a picky eater but likes to cook. I hoped that this book would encourage her to expand her repertoire and try new foods. However, it's been a disappointment.

My big complaint is that the book is NOT intended for children, contrary to the what the title suggests. The text inside the book is very clear on the fact that the book is intended for PARENTS cooking for vegetarian children. The recipes are not presented in a style that would be easy for children to follow, despite the illustrations. For example, weights and measures are generally presented in triplicate: metric weight, English weight, and English volume (or Celsius, Fahrenheit, and gas setting in the case of oven heat); and ingredient names are often given in both British and American English, so that a typical ingredient reads: "175g/6oz/1 1/2 cups plain wholemeal (whole-wheat) flour". This is not easy for a young cook to read. Nor can a novice easily interpret directions like "cook gently until the vegetables are just tender".

So the book is not for kids. But I don't feel it's very useful for parents cooking for kids, either. The selection of foods does not seem especially kid-friendly. I mean, I'd be thrilled if my kids would eat cheese onion and mushroom flan, or herb omelettes, or pumpkin pistachio risotto, or anything involving smoked tofu, but come on. I can easily find more suitable and abundant recipes in Joy of Cooking. The step-by-step illustrations take up a lot of room and contribute very little. I can understand instructions like "put the ingredients into a bowl" without a helpful picture of the ingredients sitting in a bowl.
on October 24, 2012
I was hoping for a cookbook that would contain recipes that my 9 year old son would be excited about and could possible handle mostly on his own... Not the case

The book is heavy on outdated typical vegetarian meals. Lots of pasta (and bread products) dairy and eggs. Yes they are made in animal shapes with smilely faces, but my kid doesn't need bells and whistles to eat. Nachos, pizza. Blueberry muffins, fruit salad, veg soups, and roasted potatoes are what a random flip just produced.

This book was going to be my first Amazon return, but they kindly refunded me my money and let me keep it. It will be gifted off or donated away
VINE VOICEon May 10, 2011
My 8 y.o. likes to cook many of the recipes from this book herself (under supervision, of course!) The step-by-step photos make the recipes easy to follow. There is a good variety of dishes from kiddie staples like pizza, nachos, and burgers to more elegant gourmet fare like aubergine bolognese, mushroom flan, and pumpkin risotto. And unlike some of the other vegetarian cookbooks aimed at kids/teens, the recipes are for the most part reasonably healthy. Highly recommended for families with vegetarian or "flexitarian" children.
on January 9, 2014
I originally saw it in a friends house! We are bringing our kid up a vegetarian and wanted more ideas. My son has been looking into the book and making requests! At 3 years old, he may not be able to help with a lot of stuff, but it is very easy to follow the steps.
on December 21, 2013
Dropped this book in water and bought a new right away to replace it. Great ideas, helpful basics. Ingredients list includes photos of ingredients in the appropriate amounts. Emphasis on nutrition. More than just recipes.
on July 7, 2015
Really not impressed. It's just too basic and many recipes are not appealing to kids.
on March 20, 2016
My grand daughter is enjoying her new cookbook.