Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

I love this book! I saw it at Barnes + Noble yesterday, looked at it for five minutes and had to have it! I've been reading it since and am very pleased. For years I've been wanting to plant a vegetable garden, but have been intimidated.

Barbara Ellis has written this book to remove the fears of planting. The layout is great, with questions and answers laid out in a logical format.

The book is jammed pack with information, tips, problem solving techniques and it's all about organic!

I even like the size and feel of the book.It's just over 4" x 6" and over an inch thick and over 400 pages long. The cover is really sturdy--something I like, as I tend to be rough with my "how to" books. The illustrations are simple but good, too.

I highly recommend this book!

By the award winning author of Harmonious Environment: Beautify, Detoxify and Energize Your Life, Your Home and Your Planet
on April 21, 2008
I spotted this in a Border's bookstore about 2 weeks ago and immediately bought it. Although it doesn't mention lasagna gardening, which is what I do (Google the term for more info) the rest of the book is filled with outstanding information in an easy-to-find format. Within minutes I found answers to dozens of questions, and I'm a lifelong gardener with tons of experience although I haven't gardened in about 5 years so I needed the help. Gives a good concise outline, pros/cons and dos/don'ts of different crop types--it really helped me decide what to plant and when. Though thick, the book itself is small enough to put in a large pocket to carry with you while gardening. I highly recommend this book for experienced and new gardeners alike.
on January 27, 2014
I've been gardening seriously for the last several years, devouring all the gardening books I can get my hands on. I've read a lot, and for the most part, they are all identical. It's as if the authors all just use the same template and material and they are all pretty basic. This one is different...

Once you get past the basic "how to" intro books, there's little out there. I have found that this book helps when Ive had a particular problem or had a less than successful harvest of a particular crop. It serves as a nice reference for an intermediate gardener like me. It's 1 of 3 of my "go to" books.

I'm not knocking the basic books. If you're just starting up, there's a couple out there that are better than the rest. Reading one of these will get you going in the right direction. Then, this book will hopefully, help you as it's helped me when I've run into issues I can't figure out on my own.

I've rated it 4 stars just because it didn't make me say, "Wow, this has all the answers!" But, it's still a great resource.
on February 14, 2009
Fabulous resource with tips and ideas for home gardening. Includes basic information on pests and diseases and how to get rid of them, composting, crop planning and rotation, etc, along with a large section information on individual vegetables. I've found the tips on when to start seeds indoors the most helpful.
on February 10, 2014
I purchased the Veggie Gardener's Answer Book because a good friend recommended it to me for my organic garden. The book is very informative and very well organized. It addresses many subjects of concern to organic gardeners. There are numerous tips on planting, harvesting, pests and caring for the soil. I would recommend this bood to amateur gardeners or anyone with less than a green thumb. Tons of great information.
on December 29, 2012
I have looked at a lot of gardening books in the past from the library, but this one is probably one of my all time favorites! If you are trying to get into gardening, this is the book for you. It is very simple to understand for the beginner, and gave me some very good ideas. I learned a lot from seed starting from this book, and also how to mix my own soil. I still refer to this book every year when I start seeds and whenever I have a problem in my garden. I also like that this is a small book and you can easily carry it around with you.
on October 28, 2008
The Veggie Gardener's Answer Book is just that. The book is written in such a way that similar questions are asked several times with the answers worded slightly different each time. So whether you know what you are doing, or don't, there is surely an answer included in such a way that you will understand it. The book covers everything you can think of that would come up when planting your veggie garden. My only gripe would be that most of the answers seem to be geared more toward people living in states other than California. There are many suggestions for keeping your veggies alive during harsh winters, which does not apply to my location.
on June 15, 2012
Just received this book today.It took awhile since the book was returned to seller and it had to be remailed. The seller was very good about letting me know what happened after I contacted them after not receiving the book in a timely manner. I'm sure the book will be a lot of help in answering questions about veggie gardening.
on October 9, 2013
great little book full of wonderful answers - very helpful to new gardener or seasoned veteran of vegetables. Would definitely recommend.
on April 13, 2013
I like how this book is laid out in Q&A format. That makes it easy for me to find my answer quickly.