4.0 out of 5 stars Another Christmas, Another VeggieTales
Junior Asparagus has become obsessed with the drums, playing them all the time. While his parents go out Christmas shopping, he is supposed to go caroling with his friends, but a mix up leaves him home with Grandpa (Pa Grape). Mad at his friends, Junior intends to sulk, but Grandpa decides to tell him the story of the little drummer boy.

Back in the time of...
Published on October 2, 2011 by Mark Baker

1.0 out of 5 stars Most disappointing VeggieTales ever
I was very disappointed in this VeggieTales movie and would not recommend it to anyone. Most of the movie was dark...then ends with a short biblically incorrect positive feel good message. Here is a summary of what happens.

Published on December 14, 2011 by EJB

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Christmas, Another VeggieTales, October 2, 2011
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

Back in the time of the Romans lived a little boy named Aaron (Junior again) who had a happy home life and a gift with a drum that could make animals dance. When his family home is destroyed, he sets out with just the animals left, determined to live as isolated a life as possible. Will he stay angry or will he have an encounter with the newborn king?

This episode appears to be based on a story, or at least inspired by it, but I'm not familiar with the source material. The story is very tragic at the beginning, and you can really understand Aaron's anger, a theme that is played out through the entire story. And yet, when the climax comes, it is suddenly all washed away - it's just too easy. The resolution needed more context to the story.

Along the way, we do get some great humor with the characters that Aaron meets along the way. I especially loved the Star Wars references at one point.

They've finally animated "The 8 Polish Foods of Christmas" from the mid-90's Christmas CD, and it's still a hoot.

For much of this DVD, I was enjoying the story despite the sad beginning. I just wish that the climax had included more of a lesson; as it is, it was over all too quick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Cute!, November 11, 2011
First off I should mention, we have never seen VeggieTales before but I am glad we finally have! My 3 year old loved this DVD! He laughed and laughed over vegetables dancing and talking! Once he got over that I was able to show him lessons learned from Veggie Tales, like forgiveness and friendship. There are funny songs and references (Star Wars is one) throughout the movie, that I don't mind watching it with them, because of course they have to watch it now over and over! The story does start out sad but turns around and how can you not smile from singing and talking vegetables! I also have a feeling we will be watching this DVD long past Christmas!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute movie!, January 20, 2012
My little siblings love watching this over and over; it is a very cute story from Big Idea, and it is a completely new story line, unlike some of the other films coming out of Big Idea now. The only thing that I noticed about this video was Junior's perpetual bad attitude. My youngest brother has some mental difficulties and this causes him to pick up on a lot of negative attitudes right away. It is unfortunate that he could not escape bad attitudes even by watching a Christian film. Oh well...over all a cute movie!

1.0 out of 5 stars Most disappointing VeggieTales ever, December 14, 2011
EJB (Raleigh, NC) - See all my reviews

1) Aaron is a boy who gets a drum. He is friends with a few animals and one day comes back to his house burnt down and you assume his parents are dead.

2) He hates people and goes off on his own instead of seeking help. Ends up with very bad people who try to exploit him.

3) People exploit him and then end up selling his camel who is one of his friends. (this is when my 5 year old was crying and asking why the people are mean and Aaron didn't get a good adult to help him) The buyers are the three Magi (wise men) who are following a star. So, Aaron again goes off on his own towards the star.

4) The star leads Aaron to the Magi but before he gets to him one of his other friends, the sheep, gets run over by a cart and is near death.

5) The wise men are there in front of baby Jesus in the manger with some shepherds. (Even Snopes know this is an urban myth and Jesus was a small boy and not an infant when the Magi came)

6) Aaron as in the song plays his drum for baby Jesus since he had no gift for him and sees his parents there who takes care of the injured sheep.

I wish I could return this movie and I probably won't buy next year's VeggieTales Christmas movie (we have Star, Toy that Saved, St Nicholas, and Meaningful life) before viewing it now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mildly Entertaining, Completely Irrelevant, December 12, 2011
I am a big fan of having family Christmas movie time. However, if you are looking for entertainment value, skip this and grab you a copy of Elf, Charlie Brown Christmas, or The Grinch. This is not nearly so artful nor creative as VeggieTales has been in the past. And ultimately, I'd skip it.

If movies that are just sort of thrown together a la a fifth grader's short story for English class bother you because of poor writing, overdone plot elements, contrived and clunky conflict and resolution, and unlikable/unsympathetic characters, you'll also want to skip this one. It's kind of a kids' version of a cheesy Lifetime movie with old 80s sitcom stars from supporting roles.

And if you look to VeggieTales as an aide in teaching your children about the Bible and hope to find this as a way to relate to them the true meaning of Christmas, you're REALLY going to want to skip it--

I just watched this for the second time with two of my children (8 and 5) and asked them what they thought it was about. They got it right for the most part, they said it's about a little boy who thinks his parents have died. He's really sad and lost for a while and gets in with an odd (the kids seem confused about their character) crowd but then eventually finds his parents at the end. That about sums it up. Junior plays two characters, the Drummer Boy in the story set at the time of Christ's birth, and himself in the story set in modern times. The character from the part set in modern day is, in a word, smarmy. The character of the Drummer Boy is an Anakin Skywalker of sorts who, while not as dark as the future Darth Vader, is completely consumed by the death of his parents. First of all, why do so many writers of children's stories decide that one or both parents should be missing? It is not only overdone, it is a weak plot device. The stakes need not be so high, and relying on such a worn out and overly dramatic scenario seems lazy. Second of all, the change in the Drummer Boy is intended, upon close examination (and really because we are told rather than shown), to come when he sees Jesus. However, the Drummer Boy sees Jesus almost instantly before he is reunited with his parents, so the whole reason for the change in him is lost on children. They think the Drummer Boy is happy now because he has found his parents, not because he has found his Savior. Honestly, it's only because I know that Jesus is the Savior that I even inferred that message. It's debatable that it's even there.

Shouldn't the point of a VeggieTales Christmas movie set at the birth of Christ BE the birth of Christ? There are many of us out there who think that the quality of VeggieTales has gone down significantly since the departure of Phil Vischer as CEO in 2003. The messages are watered down and the artistic and creative quality has certainly suffered. A friend asked me recently why I still even let my children watch VeggieTales. My answer to that is that they are better than a whole lot of the other things out there that they could be watching. On the other hand, there are also a whole lot of things out there that would be more educational! It used to be that VeggieTales communicated the stories of the Bible in an accessible way for children. It was an aide in teaching them what we want them to learn about God and his people. This movie does not do that. There is nothing in it that shows children how the birth of Christ changes anything, much less everything! What a missed opportunity for Big Idea! If you are looking for something new this Christmas that helps teach children (and remind us all) what Christmas is all about, grab you a copy of Song of the Stars, Sally Lloyd-Jones' new book that is beautifully and artfully written to help us share the story of how the long-expected birth of our Savior changed the world.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please - save your money!, December 6, 2012
MamaBee (Appleton WI) - See all my reviews
First off, I want to say I'm a huge veggie tale fan... but this one really dropped the ball. It was horrible! And my sweet little 5 year old, had to deal with such a dark movie on what should be the greatest story ever told!! My son loves sheep and even has a stuffed lovie that his is favorite, Rupert goes every where with him... so when the cart comes and smucks Baba... and Aaron is pleading to Baba not to die... well, Thank you Veggie Tales - you have given my kid nightmares!!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent!, December 27, 2013
This review is from: VeggieTales: The Little Drummer Boy (Amazon Instant Video)
Great version of the original! (Actually like it better) This episode is exactly how they should be, funny and religious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Veggie Tales Hit, January 24, 2013
My 5 year old loves Veggie Tales, and this video did not disappoint! A precious story and fun characters and songs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute movie, January 10, 2013
This is such a cute movie. My son loves it. One thing I will say though. The kid in the movie hits everything in his sight with his drum sticks, including things like lamps. My son went through a phase of doing this after watching it a few times. He was only 2 at the time. He is 3 now and it continues to be a trend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another hit from VeggieTales!, November 8, 2011
My children love everything that VeggieTales produces and the absolutely love the new VeggieTales DVD, The Little Drummer Boy! In wonderful Veggie-style, the telling of the story of the little drummer boy comes to life through the adorable Junior Asparagus. As soon as I pop this DVD in, my kids are glued to the television. And most importantly, they're learning amazing lessons!

Rate and Discover Movies