Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Junior Asparagus has become obsessed with the drums, playing them all the time. While his parents go out Christmas shopping, he is supposed to go caroling with his friends, but a mix up leaves him home with Grandpa (Pa Grape). Mad at his friends, Junior intends to sulk, but Grandpa decides to tell him the story of the little drummer boy.

Back in the time of the Romans lived a little boy named Aaron (Junior again) who had a happy home life and a gift with a drum that could make animals dance. When his family home is destroyed, he sets out with just the animals left, determined to live as isolated a life as possible. Will he stay angry or will he have an encounter with the newborn king?

This episode appears to be based on a story, or at least inspired by it, but I'm not familiar with the source material. The story is very tragic at the beginning, and you can really understand Aaron's anger, a theme that is played out through the entire story. And yet, when the climax comes, it is suddenly all washed away - it's just too easy. The resolution needed more context to the story.

Along the way, we do get some great humor with the characters that Aaron meets along the way. I especially loved the Star Wars references at one point.

They've finally animated "The 8 Polish Foods of Christmas" from the mid-90's Christmas CD, and it's still a hoot.

For much of this DVD, I was enjoying the story despite the sad beginning. I just wish that the climax had included more of a lesson; as it is, it was over all too quick.
on January 20, 2012
My little siblings love watching this over and over; it is a very cute story from Big Idea, and it is a completely new story line, unlike some of the other films coming out of Big Idea now. The only thing that I noticed about this video was Junior's perpetual bad attitude. My youngest brother has some mental difficulties and this causes him to pick up on a lot of negative attitudes right away. It is unfortunate that he could not escape bad attitudes even by watching a Christian film. Oh well...over all a cute movie!
First off I should mention, we have never seen VeggieTales before but I am glad we finally have! My 3 year old loved this DVD! He laughed and laughed over vegetables dancing and talking! Once he got over that I was able to show him lessons learned from Veggie Tales, like forgiveness and friendship. There are funny songs and references (Star Wars is one) throughout the movie, that I don't mind watching it with them, because of course they have to watch it now over and over! The story does start out sad but turns around and how can you not smile from singing and talking vegetables! I also have a feeling we will be watching this DVD long past Christmas!
on November 8, 2011
My children love everything that VeggieTales produces and the absolutely love the new VeggieTales DVD, The Little Drummer Boy! In wonderful Veggie-style, the telling of the story of the little drummer boy comes to life through the adorable Junior Asparagus. As soon as I pop this DVD in, my kids are glued to the television. And most importantly, they're learning amazing lessons!
on February 27, 2013
The theme song is always a favorite of mine and has been since I first watched VeggieTales. I was pretty disappointed, though, that in some of the recent DVDs they don't play the whole theme song. But many shows have done that and it's a little thing in comparison to all the awesome things that the shows are full of.

The Little Drummer Boy stars Junior Asparagus, who I really love by the way. He has always been one of my favorite characters. He's just too cute for words. Most if not all people know about the little drummer boy. It's just such a classic song, so putting it to video is pretty amazing. One of my favorite parts of this DVD is how in the story portion they have two French peas named "May" and "Wee" - that was so clever to me. Another great part is the animals in the story - sheep, donkey and camel - that ended up doing a little dance in the movie which was so cute to me.

Now Junior is really getting into drumming, so when Pa Grape tells him a Christmas story, he picks the perfectly fitting story of Aaron as a drummer. It's such a great way to show kids the story of baby Jesus. It's not totally all about the Christmas story, but it shows a different perspective of someone who didn't know anything about Jesus being born and suddenly coming across him from somewhere else. It's a great story for sure.

The silly song portion of the movie was fun to watch for sure. I knew about the 8 Polish Foods of Christmas song before. Seeing that come to video was super amusing.
on December 26, 2011
I was hoping to introduce my nephew and his family to the VeggieTales series of movies and I selected this as the starting DVD to give them as a gift unpreviewed. Unfortunately it seems this was the wrong place to start and there may have been better choices available. First off, my nephew likes the music CD I gave him the prior year so it seemed like a good time to give what appeared to be a Christmas themed VeggieTales DVD as he is now around two and a half years old. We all sat to watch this gift DVD and I could tell it wasn't being received well by anyone in the room including my nephew. The adults were yawning, one actually fell asleep watching it, I tried to enjoy it as it was my gift, but found it hard to like this story as well as the jokes all fell flat and the story and characters were all hard to like. My nephew kept asking to watch Mickey Mouse instead while this was on. A clear disappointment and it will be hard to give any future gifts in this series after this poor introduction to the VeggieTales movies. Avoid this one and go with the Rankin and Bass version which I found to be a much better Drummer Boy story told with a heart and better representation of the true meaning of Christmas.
on December 27, 2013
Great version of the original! (Actually like it better) This episode is exactly how they should be, funny and religious.
on January 24, 2013
My 5 year old loves Veggie Tales, and this video did not disappoint! A precious story and fun characters and songs.
on September 7, 2014
While I typically LOVE LOVE LOVE veggie tails, I did not like their adaptation of Little Drummer Boy. In the original the drummer boy's pet lamb is miraculously healed by The Baby Jesus. But in this one, its the "Dr" that heals the lamb. While I fully understand that sometimes God will work miracles through other people, the new version lost something when they took that "miracle" out. Just my opinion. Some other people may like the more "realistic" version I guess, but to me it opens up doubt, was it God or man that did the healing? I like believing the unbelievable, isnt that what faith is all about?
on November 8, 2011
I've been buying VeggieTales for my niece and nephew since they were 2 years old and they LOVE them! We love starting Christmas early so I got The Little Drummer Boy and watched with them last night. It was another hit! It has us laughing the whole time and I love that they are learning valuable lessons in a fun way. I just found a VeggieTales toy Drum that I'm going to surprise my nephew with and a set of VeggieTales Little Drummer Boy Characters for my neice. I got them the Veggie Nativity set last year and it was their favorite Christmas toy so they will flip when they get these. I love being their favorite uncle!