4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera
Published on January 4, 2011 by Mark Parker

Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:43 Mins
On the plus side, this camera looks well constructed. There are two switches, one for power and the other to activate the sound activation feature. There is also a little button on top to start recording manually.

Published 22 months ago by Bob Tobias

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much worthless if you want to record sound with your videos, January 8, 2013
This review is from: Veho Muvi Pro Micro DV Camcorder with 4 GB Micro SD (Electronics)
Length:: 0:43 Mins

The problem I experienced was unbearable background noise with every recording. I contacted Veho technical support and at their request sent them a sample. They said my recorder *was* defective and that I should return/exchange it. The attached video highlights the noise problem with both the original camera *and* the one Amazon sent as a replacement.

According to the manufacturer, some amount of background noise is expected. Let me provide their explanation, directly from their FAQ:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem: There seems to be a lot of sound interference (buzzing) on my recordings, even in a quiet room. Why is this?
Resolution: The level of noise that you are experiencing with the camera is normal. Due to the sound activation function on the Muvi Pro the microphone is extremely sensitive therefore it will always pick up noise even in a quiet room.

Me, I think it's nonsense. What noise, exactly, would a microphone pick of from a quiet room: Ghosts?

Another aside, mostly for people who already own this recorder is about the date/time stamp. It is permanent and cannot be remove (which goes back to it being permanent). It's also impossible to set unless you know how and nearly impossible to find out how. Here's how... Create a file named time.txt in the top level of the camera's memory. That would be alongside the folder named DCIM. You write in that file the date and time in the following format: 'YYYY.MM.DD HH:MM:SS' - Leave off the quotes, don't put a "return" at the end, and the only space is between the two digits for the day (DD) and the two digits for the hour (HH). Turn the camera off and back on. If you did everything right the file will be gone and the time will be set.

BTW, I feel that honest, effective reviews, accompanied by detailed videos, can take the place of first-hand experiences that are often lacking in online shopping. I've always appreciated the help I've received from other reviewers and try to return the favor as best as I can. Please let me know if found this review helpful and the video at least entertaining. If there was anything you thought was lacking or unclear leave a comment and I'll do what I can to fix it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, January 4, 2011
I bought two of these as replacements for the similar unit I've had for about 18 months that has broken. One of the ones I bought would never sync up with my computer, and was returned at no cost to me to Amazon. The other one works fine, and has a better resolution than my original unit. I am a Police officer, and use them to capture video and audio on traffic stops, as well as anytime I have need of recording statements or actions. The audio on them is better than the in car camera I have.

I have also used one clipped to a hat band at sporting events to record video. It works well.

5.0 out of 5 stars TEST RIDE!, June 11, 2010
Length:: 1:06 Mins

Veho VCC003MUVIPRO Muvi Pro Micro DV Camcorder with 4 GB Micro SD

I have to say I'm very impressed with this! I previously used a large Hi8 tape cam but it's very obtrusive. I use this 99% of the time I ride my bike as it helps me review and improve my riding technique. With this cam being so small and barely visible, I can leave it mounted when I park my bike. With the optional clip, it pops right in and out and It slips right in my pocket. I can even clip it to my belt while walking and no one ever notice. Sweet!
The PRO model is true 30fps. 4Gb is sufficient because it records for 2 hours and only uses half the memory. Add a 8Gb mini SD for under $30.
The only negative is how long it takes to upload your clips to a computer.
Something this small with this much quality you can't beat!
I removed the previous video and replaced it with two different views.
The first was with the cam mounted on the tank and the second half I was able to mount it inside of my helmet. I thought it came out pretty good and my feelings remain the same about the versatility of this little camera. And it would really be nice to have the option to disable the time stamp!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough little camera at a great price!, July 6, 2011
Length:: 1:38 Mins

I bought this camera for recording on-board video from my race car, and I'm not disappointed. After a half-season of racing, the Veho Muvi Pro is still going strong after being pelted with mud lap after lap. The video quality is very impressive for a camera of this price and size. Video wise, the only drawback seems to be that it struggles in low light. Usually this is not a problem for my purposes, as track lighting usually provides sufficient light, but a couple of times this year I have had grainy footage due to poor lighting and mounting location. When used around the house, sound can sometimes be a bit muffled, but when racing, the camera does an excellent job of capturing the sound of my engine, with little to no wind noise. Others have mentioned the video skipping just a bit, I've had a bit of this with the memory card shipped with it, but it's usually minor, and indications are that a better memory card eliminates this issue. Overall, this camera has done what I wanted it to do, and is at a low enough price that I can afford to put it in peril on the track. After seeing my videos, one of my competitors has already bought one for himself, as has an ultralight pilot that I know. The included video is a compilation of clips in different lighting conditions, to give you a real-world idea of how the camera performs. All in all, in my opinion it's a fine camera at a great price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for it's size, December 22, 2010
Like most people, I bought this because it was small. It mount's to my vehicle's windshield easily and does not obstruct my view tucked up under my rear-view mirror. It seems well built, and easy to use. The included memory card provides a good amount of recording time, but it is very slow to transfer the videos to a computer through the internal USB, only about 1MB/s. You should get an SD adapter and use a card reader.

The main downside to this is the battery. It advertises a recording time of about 3 hours, but I struggle to get even one hour record time out of it. It can only fill the card if you stop to charge it between shooting, or if you run it on USB power. A $5 USB 12V to USB adapter works nicely for me, with a thin USB cable.

I found the included clip is nice, but it's not entirely useful. If you want to expand your mounting options, check out the RAM mount system. The RAM-B-238-VEN1U allows this to mount with a "B" size ball. Then you can stick it to almost anything depending on your base.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value medium-res video; very handy for investigators., May 14, 2011
D L (WA United States) - See all my reviews
I use my Muvi Pro for legal investigations, witness interviews, discreet location recons, sub rosa investigations, for documenting service of process (summons service) and other related activities where a large camera is not appropriate.

It resembles a Bluetooth headset in size and shape, and people usually don't even notice it.

On a couple of occasions I have worn it outside clipped to a shirt or hoodie during light rain, and it's survived these experiences. The camera indeed does have a long run time, in excess of one hour (I've never needed to record for longer than that.) That's not to say it is a good idea to wear this for hours in serious rain.

The files produced are indeed large; I completely agree with the technique suggested by other reviewers; using a micro card adapter in a fast USB-II external card reader is easily twice as fast as trying to import directly from the Muvi Pro.

The images are a bit fish-eyed due to the wide lens configuration, but it's not too bad. Focus can handle from a few inches out to infinity but don't expect crystal-clear shots such as those a $10,000 pro video camera will produce.

The trade-off for the large depth-of-field seems to be in slow shutter speeds. The little Muvi Pro does not do well in capturing fast movement in low light situations such as indoors under normal house lighting; but there again we are dealing with compromises due to size and price.

Color tends to be over-saturated in the blues, which makes outdoor scenes look "better" than they actually were; (reminds me of the color processing they did on the old tourist post cards. Looks great but is not accurate.)

I tried using a Kingston 8Gb micro card in this unit and the Muvi Pro did not like it, wouldn't 'boot' to it so I've stayed with the native 4Gb one and it's been fine.
(Update 9/24/11: Tried the Kingston 8gb again and now it works, no idea why it didn't the first time. A fast Class-6 or-10 card is a good idea for video.)

Battery life has been good and I've never had it fail during recording; I always recharge it after a use while offloading the files. I do wish there were some low power warning but if there is one I don't remember what it's supposed to be (a flashing "low power" LED would be great.

All in all a very useful piece of gear, extremely handy to carry with you on the job in case unexpected opportunities arise.

After 4 months of use one of the little clip-points on top of the plastic clip-carrier broke, causing me to have to use some black duct tape to keep the camera in the clip so be aware that the little clip is not as heavy-duty as the camera itself.

A new generation of Muvi has just been released, the Muvi HD 10 Veho VCC005MUVIHD10 Muvi Full HD10 Handsfree Camcorder which seems to offer many features that the Pro lacks, especially the ability to monitor the scene being recorded; the trade-off is that the '10 does not appear to be a Bluetooth headset and instead, looks more like what it is: a little camera.

Depending on your requirements, the smaller Muvi Pro might be the best choice for you. The accessory pack available here (though I could not get the Amazon link search to find it) is called the Veho VCCA003ESP Extreme Sports Pack and sells for about 17 bucks, might be a good deal because it includes a replacement clip and some other mounting options.

I'm glad I bought the Muvi Pro and now am considering a Muvi 10 to add to the toolkit.

(9/24/11 update: Still using this professionally and it's delivering work product without fail. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars did exactly what I needed it to, May 15, 2011
This little gizmo is one of my most favorite purchases. At first the audio was not very clear, but after playing around with the settings downloaded from the install cd, the sound is much better. The picture quality is amazing! I was being harassed at work and wanted to accumulate some evidence since my boss thought I was over-exaggerating. Now she knows I was not over-stating the facts!

3.0 out of 5 stars Veho Muvi Prov, August 8, 2011
This unit so far is working well as a "portable" camera. Video seems to be on the average. The mounting clip does not keep the unit upright if you clip on your pocket without any additional support (business card behind it seems to help)

For those who want to use it as a car camera, be aware of couple serious drawbacks: it only operates on its internal battery while recording (last for 1 hr typically) and no recording over oldest data like a typical car camera. So after either the battery runs out or the SD card is full, there is no more recording. You then have to either recharge the battery and manually erase the data file. So every day, you have to take the unit out of the car and do both things to get ready for the following day. That to me is very time-consuming and make it less attractive as a car camera.
BTW, for many occasions, I could not tell the color of the traffic light from the recorded video. Forget about reading the license plate number of the vehicle in front of you.

JT

1.0 out of 5 stars not high definition, May 6, 2011
This product claims to have a 2 megapixel CCD. That may be, but the only resolution video image that comes out of it is 640x480 (0.3 megapixels). In addition, the video compression is extreme, so the 640x480 image is very blocky like a very low quality .jpg. The color ballance was also way off, so all indoor images were yellowish. I was thinking those videos posted on here had been compressed. No, what you see in those videos is as good as it gets. I was very disappointed with this product. The only software that comes with this is some opensource thing that you'd need a PH.D. in video compression algorithms to figure out. Also you can't turn off the timestamp in the video. The viewing angle is also pretty small, so it looks like you're looking through a small window.

2.0 out of 5 stars Small, but need much more battery capacity, February 20, 2011
I purchased this based on one of the reviews here and for outdoor use, it's of very limited use. I got no more than 35 minutes of power out of this before it shut off. This was setup for VOX mode. The promotional literature that came with this stated in standby that you would get about 250 hours I believe and on full recording about 3 hours? I used up 1.58 GB with 30 minutes of use during a hike today. It was fully charged when I left and there were no warnings from the color of lights that this device uses that it was going to get such limited time. I'm sure that if I was constantly monitoring it I would of seen the warning, but I was paying attention more to where I was going and not the colors the device uses. I watched the lights (green slow while recording) and thought I had ample time. I was pretty disappointed to say the least with this recording time. In addition, the audio quality is NOT on par with the video. During my hike today (it was a tour) the speaker (who was about 5 feet from me) tended to overload the mic and obviously any of my talking overloaded it as well. While the mic is obviously sensitive to pick up wind noise (no is no way to baffle the mic with a device of this size) none the less the recording quality is very poor. It does work find as a USB cam indoors though. All in all is pretty marginal for what I used it for, but if your looking for something tiny (as in covert) this may be your ticket. Buyer Beware.

Veho Muvi Pro Micro DV Camcorder with 4 GB Micro SD