5.0 out of 5 stars Use for Law Enforcement Officers
Published on August 3, 2012 by C MURF

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price, but there are some issues.
I've had this now for a few weeks. Before I get into the pros of the device, let me state a few of the issues I have with it.

Published 23 months ago by Marc Douglas

5.0 out of 5 stars Use for Law Enforcement Officers, August 3, 2012
This review is from: Veho VCC-005-HDGUM Gumball 3000 Edition Muvi HD 1080p Mini In Car/Action Camcorder (Electronics)
After purchasing this item for use in Law Enforcement, I was 100% satisfied. This recorder comes with a wireless remote which allows me to begin video recording and/ or take photos of whatever is in front of me without messing with small buttons which may not be accessible in a unexpected or high stress incident. There is no software needed so you are able to play or edit the videos on any computer with basic programs. The clips and attachments are high quality so I don't need to worry about it flying off in a physical altercation. I will also be using this in my personal life for high definition video recording of mountain biking and family sporting events. I recommend this personal video camera to anyone looking for a compact, sturdy device for work or play. The ONLY complaint I could have is I wish the user manual was a little more descriptive but after a few minutes of playing with it, I figured it out with no problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, March 27, 2012
I bought this as a helmet camera for Rollerblading. It works surprisingly well both video and audio. At 1080p resolution you can even read license plates on passing cars. It's more stable than I thought it would be; playback is smooth and sound is good. I didn't like the mounts provided so I made my own from 1/16"x1 1/4" aluminum flat bar and stuck it on with foam tape. The remote works well; the person who couldn't get it working probably didn't read the instructions, they have to be paired just like a Bluetooth earpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Personal Camera, Awesome Video Quality, June 16, 2012
This personal/wearable camera is probably the best on the market right now. I say this after researching for quite some time. And, it serves as duel purpose for me.

1.) I use this camera at work everytime I have interactions with the public, and I'm sure one day soon it will be a career saver for me. In a day and age where everyone has a camera phone to video things they see from their perspective, you need a camera to show things from your perspective, and to video from before an incident occurs. With the included 8gb memory card you don't have to worry about, "do I have enough memory to start this video before ____ hits the fan?" Just start it and stop it from the included remote control.

2.) Sports, particularily off road mountain biking. WOW! It takes amazing video. I can mount it anywhere on my bike, and I can check and make sure I've got the angle I want with the video screen on the back.

The options are endless with all of the mounting kits it comes with. Daytime video is better than you can imagine, and surprised me beyond what I thought it could do. Nighttime video is very much above average, a little grainy when looking into the darkness, but better than expected.

The only change I would like to see is to make the battery removeable. Then you would have the option to purchase an extra battery and change it out if the internal one became low. Now I say this without due cause.... I have yet to have the battery run out on me in an 8 hour shift, but at the same time I'm only recording approximately 2+ hours of footage in this 8 hour timeframe.

Also, It is about twice the size of most wearable cameras, but the video quality definitely makes up for the size concerns.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price, but there are some issues., October 26, 2012

My first issue is with the remote. It's awesome that the unit even comes with one at this price, so kudos to Veho for that. However, when the camera is in time lapse mode ( for example, shooting still pics every two seconds ), you cannot properly start or stop this mode from the remote. Using the shutter button on the camera itself does what it should and starts and stops the picture taking mode. The remote seems to want to take one picture and stop. Although sometimes it will actually go into time lapse mode! So it is inconsistent. This is unfortunate for me because I purchased this specifically for the continuous still shooting mode and I need to be able to start and stop it with the remote! ( I've tried a variety of remote button 'press' combinations and I haven't found any that work consistently. )

Another issue with the remote is that apparently Veho thinks it's disposable. From what I've read on their site and other places, the battery is soldered in there and it works for 2000 uses or so and then it dies. When mine dies, I imagine I'll try to solder a new battery in. If that fails, you can buy a new one from them for 30 dollars or something like that.

Don't expect much help from the manual when it comes to the finer details of camera's features. It is a very simple quick start guide. After that you're basically on your own.

My next biggest disappointment is that when I tried contacting Veho about the remote issue, they never bothered to reply. I did get the 'auto reply' so I know they got my email to begin with.

My last two complaints are: In this version you cannot change the FPS in the 720 video mode, you are stuck with 60fps. On their next model up you have a lot more control over the FPS ( frames per second ) at different resolutions. And finally, you cannot change any exposure or color balance. You get what they give you. Just one auto setting for all situations.

-----------

Now, the good bits.

I'm generally happy with the quality. The video is a bit on the grainy side, but for 30FPS 1080P at this price point, I think it does a fine job. I wouldn't call it 'professional' by any means but it gets the job done. I was pleased that it works just fine with a simple class 4 8GB micro SD ( and it includes one ) I didn't experience any frame rate issues or anything. The video came out pretty smooth.

The still pictures are coming out pretty nice and you can get up to 8MP in size, although the sensor is 5MP, so I'm not sure if there is a true improvement in quality at the 8MP over the 5MP or not. This is something I have yet to test out. What I really want is 12 MP stills.

I've noticed that the sky gets a little blown out on a bright day, but this has to do with the auto exposure. I suppose they have to do this to get proper exposure of shaded areas.

The picture is wide but not too wide. It doesn't have too much distortion or anything.

The Gumball version comes with a lot of nice mounts & accessories. It's pretty impressive in that department. You get helmet mounts, a window mount, another mount, straps, velcro, a case, a lanyard and so forth, all very nice quality stuff. Combine that with the camera, the memory card and the remote, and it's a great value. I need to buy a mini hdmi cable to test the hdmi out on it.

To sum up, for the price, I'd buy this again. However, if money was no object, I'd buy the latest and greatest GOPRO 3 for 400 bucks. It has wifi now and it even does 4k, and shoots 12MP and it comes with a better remote. However, the GoPros still do not have what the Veho has standard, and that is a small color lcd screen! (GoPro, this is your main weakness! imho) That is well worth the price of admission. It helps a lot to be able to see the menu and delete pics, clips and so forth.

Should you get this? I guess that depends on what your specific use for it might be. But if you're on a budget, I think it's a good place to start. Good luck and have fun.

p.s. One thing the Veho has that is cool is a standard camera threaded hole for a tripod mount! I don't think the GoPro even has that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, May 19, 2012
The camera works great and the angle really is a very wide lens, and any distortion due to the very wide angle isn't really noticeable at all. The angle is clearly well over 120 degrees. Excellent camera to use while driving too as a dash cam. The video quality is good, but wish I could have 1080 and 60 fps, but you can either do 1080/30fps or 720/60fps. Either way it is a very good camera for the price.

2.0 out of 5 stars An honest review from a law enforcement officer, September 8, 2012
Amazon Customer (Orange County, CA) - See all my reviews
Ok, so let me start out by saying I am by no means trying to bash Veho MUVI and the rest of their products. In fairness to MUVI, I have to say though that this video recorder was so bad that I honestly believe that there is no other explanation other than it was clearly defective. When I first opened the box, it appeared that the main product and the rest of the accessories had been thrown in there together. There were no signs of abuse on the actual video recorder though.

Testing the product - I recorded inside my house with normal lighting as well as in my patrol car during hours of darkness. I made several recordings to which one of them during playback had the audio a few seconds behind the video which made the video completely out of sync. The other recordings appeared to in sync. The video quality was so bad I do not even know where to begin. The images were extremely grainy and pixelated to say the least. I even tried adjusting the settings around by lowering them from 1080p to 720p which made no difference. I did try the still camera mode which surprisingly took decent still photos. Also, a 12:20 second crappy video took up 1.06 GB of computer storage memory which is obviously unacceptable.

I am a law enforcement officer and my department is currently looking at the Taser's AXON wearable camera. The AXON's video is only capable of recording in the standard 640x480 format and it costs about $2,000 with all the accessories. I bought the MUVI HD Pro Gumball Edition to try it out and possibly save our department money. I also bought the MUVI because it is High Def and had an overall decent amount of good reviews on the internet. I spent a lot of time looking at you tube videos which showed the camera recordings as very good.

So why am I not giving this a one star instead of a two star? I don't want to throw off the "curve" too much "so to speak" on the rating scale since there are only 18 other reviews at the time I am writing this. Like I said above, I honestly believe I just got one of those defective cameras especially since there are a decent amount of good reviews on the internet. I hope Veho is listening because they need to make sure their quality control people are doing their job before a product is shipped out! There is just no way any company can stay in business if all of them were this bad. Funny thing is I am actually considering trying the MUVI HD Pro (not gumball edition) and hoping I won't get a lemon. I am only buying through Amazon though because of their excellent return policy. If I get another lemon, then I guess I have to return it and be 0 for 2.

If anyone is interested, I found this US Department of Homeland Security review on wearable camera systems: [...]

Also for those LE officers who are considering the Taser Axon, look into the Looxcie LX2 wearable camera. They both have the exact same features. It appears TASER is using the exact same camera as Looxcie and just slapped on their own logo. Looxcie's camera is $140 on amazon - [...]

Hopefully this review was informative for everyone. Best of luck all of you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Camera and a question, August 15, 2012
This camera is very good. my first ride with it i put it on the kaymoore trails out in WV and it took flawless video on this extremely bumpy and difficult trail. There was a problem uploading it though. watching the video on the camera itself was great. the videos were perfect. but when i copy & pasted them to the computer the videos were not in hd and they were extrenely shakey and laggy even. i think it may just be SD card lagg but it may also be me uploading it wrong or using the wrong settings on the camera. Any one have an idea what that may be?

1.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera and accessories, June 26, 2012
(see update below) I haven't used it too much yet , but from my first few usage videos it appears to be a very good camera which looks robust and has a very wide range of action accessories to suit your needs. The video is crisp and clear, though they can work more on the audio as that causes some additional noise which you can rectify with a software, but that is something that Veho should work upon. I had to use .mov to .mp4 converter to decrease the size of the video (quality intact) that this creates just so that i dont fill my hard disk with videos only.
Overall - a good buy for someone who is looking to spend less money to get a good cam with many useful accessories.

I'll edit the review should I find something weird in the product.
UPDATE-
Its been 3months of regular use in my biking trips and mountaineerring trips and the camera does not shoot HD videos anymore. N 1080 or 720 p videos can not be made. Unfortunately since its been more than 3months Amazon wont replace or do anything. i wish i had purchased a GoPro ... All that i can do is use it for making VGA videos and its really no fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars easy setup, easy file transfer options from device, great video/photo quality, May 30, 2012
I was a bit skeptical about this product due to some negative mounting comments, but right out of the box you can choose any mounting option you wish (it comes with several) to be setup and recording in moments. I went with the suction cup window mount, I read some complaints here regarding setup for the car but it doesn't take long to figure out how to maneuver the mount in a way that removes it from view of the camera. The video quality is what they claim it to be, very good. Photos come out with high enough resolution (8m) to zoom in on license plates and anything within view of the camera.

With the window mount you can also swivel the device quite easily to point at the driver/driver window (or anyone in the car for the matter), which will be an awesome way to remind police officers to be fair during traffic stops. It's worth the ability to document how you are driving/how someone else is driving in case you need to go to court, HD video evidence tends to win over she said/she said even if it's with a police officer. The audio I found was good enough to hear your phone conversations fairly clear (blue tooth or speaker phone) as well as anything on the radio or near your car with the window down.

The device is small but locks in tightly to all mounts, while still being very easy to remove. The options for what you can do with this after removing is endless, especially for someone who enjoys the out doors. The endless uses plus the practical use of recording your day to day drive is well worth the price.

Recommend purchasing the 32gig card - it's worth the extra 20 bucks to have hours of more recording time.
SanDisk 32GB microSDHC Memory Card (Bulk Package)

------ Updating ------
Don't keep it up in your car in the summer - it will fry the camera slowly..

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed review, April 23, 2012
CzarDestructo (North Shore, MA) - See all my reviews
Preface. I bought this product for a very specific use, as a car block box. Since this isn't how many folks will typically use this product I've broken down my review as such.
As a whole, neutral video camera package for the price - 5 stars
As a video product focused on car usage - 2 stars
My experience with the company - 1 star

I'll start with the everyday Joe who might be looking for an easy to use, inexpensive HD camera. The camera itself is very well made, solid, capacitive buttons work like a champ and the little LCD screen is extremely useful. I can't imagine aiming or framing a video with a camera of this wide a view angle without the screen as it's optical view is very different from any camera you've probably used in the past. The camera takes phenomenal mid to high light videos but falls short in dark or really bright scenes due to the lack of dynamic range. Really not a big deal because you're going to have this issue with ANY camera under $1000. The accessories that come with this camera are plentiful and shockingly high quality. For the price I was honestly expecting cheap, breakable mounts that I'd never want to use. They're solid and versatile and for the $150 total I paid this is a wonderful kit.

For the mediocre score; this is marketed for car usage. That said, the suction cup mount is entirely useless. What you must take into account that the windshield will always have an angle to it so your mounting options are little to none. This camera doesn't have an option to flip the video so you MUST mount it upright. Since the camera itself is shaped rectangular with the lens on the top you have to deal with the other 2/3 of the camera on the bottom and this forces you to mound the suction cup below the camera rather than above. Since the windshield is tapered the suction cup mount ALWAYS ends up in the field of view of the camera. I had to make my own mount to overcome this, I attached a photo of it.

Now for the bad, I emailed their technical support prior to buying this unit and asked point blank if this unit would function as a car dash cam / black box. I asked the following question:
"Can you please confirm if this model supports the following:
-Loop recording, i.e. it will continue recording until the memory card is full and will start deleting the oldest files.
-Car recording, i.e. the camera will begin recording video when power is applied to the unit via the car adapter."

And got the following response:
"Hi Nicholas, I can confirm that the Muvi Gumball does both the things stated in your email, I hope this helps! Kind regards, Veho Tech Team"

Fact of the matter is loop recording works but I have to turn the camera on and press record EVERY TIME I get into the car which I'm not happy about. Since I bought this camera purely for this reason I'm kind of stuck with half the features I actually wanted and wished I spent more on an actual solution.

A sample video can be found here:
[...]