5.0 out of 5 stars New Patrol Buddy
Published on March 23, 2012 by Local Cop

2.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, But Amazing!
Published 21 months ago by T. J. Young

5.0 out of 5 stars New Patrol Buddy, March 23, 2012
This review is from: Veho VCC-005-MUVI-HD10 Muvi HD 1080p Mini Handsfree Camcorder with Remote Control and Wide Angle Lens (4GB Memory Card) (Electronics)
I bought this device to record all my traffic stops and cases I come across. All I can say is that every department should have this issued. It's already saved my job! As cops, we get complaints all the time from citizens claiming this or that! It's an awesome feeling to say " No I didn't, here's the video!" This Muvi HD10 is awesome! Excellent picture / voice quality. The wide angle lense captures all the action especially when you're dealing with multiple subjects. There's cheaper and smaller ones available, but it's just that! Cheaper and smaller because it doesn't offer the quality higher models like this one offers. This thing easily clips to my uniform or can be mounted anywhere as a bunch of mounting accessories come with it. The only con to this is the small 4gb sd card that comes with it. When you're recording video especially in 1080p or even 720p, you run out of room pretty quick, good enough for about 30 mins of video. I've upgraded to 32gb and used a class 10 card for faster speeds in transferring and hours of recording time. At the end of my shift I just view, edit, rename, and transfer to my bigger flash drive or laptop. Just a word of warning to my fellow officers......don't get the ear mounted cams, they'll easily fly off your head if you gotta chase or take someone down, unless you're some fat desk sergeant that never patrols or wants to record himself downing jelly rolls. This Muvi HD 10 comes with a solid alligator clip. I've rolled around with a suspect and it stayed on my shirt the whole time. Oh yeah, it works good for other stuffs too! Bottom line, it works...and works well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good enough for motorycle and legal protection, March 1, 2013
I use this while riding my motorcycle to record other drivers and to protect myself legally. At 1080p the recording detail is good enough to make out the speed gradients on my analog speedometer and I can even make out the small specs of rust on my steering column. I can see every little detail of the asphalt, make out the faces of passing pedestrians, read mail box numbers (if passing slow enough) and license plates of cars when at a stop. The view angle is wide enough to record my instrument panel, my hands on the handlebars and my wrists (in comparison I have tried other mini cameras and the video recordings are only wide enough to get the windshield area). There is a time & date stamp setting that superimposes over the video, which makes a nice legal reference. The 720p modes and lower aren't good enough to catch small details like license plate #'s so I don't even use them.

I can't comment on all the accessories. I only use the pocket clip and I'm good enough with the camera buttons to not need the remote. It is not hard to use the camera if you only need to turn it on and push the record button, which takes maybe 5 seconds to get going.

The on-board controls are only needed if you need to navigate the menus to do something special, like change the date/time, change the resolution, or do a video playback. Once I had my controls set I never really used the on-board stuff again.

The included software isn't needed; the movie files are saved in .mov format which I have viewed in Windows using Apple's Quicktime software. VLC media player also works, it is freeware software that can be used with any operating system.

In conclusion, I feel confident using this camera and will update my review if I encounter any problems with it. It has met my expectations and exceeded them for a small pocket camera. 5 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, But Amazing!, December 22, 2012
T. J. Young (Denver, CO United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this camera based upon the reviews and example footage I've found on YouTube. The reason I purchased this to begin with was to have a wearable camera to wear while on patrol (Law Enforcement). I needed something that would be of quality, use as little space as possible, and be solid in construction. When it arrived, I immediately started testing it out using the 1080p and 720p settings:

Video Quality: Amazing quality on HD settings. Eats up memory space like a mad man, but looks pretty solid. I was able to transition from light to dark with little problems, and see clearly in all recordings. I could read license plates, street signs, etc. when mounted in my vehicle, and see small text when worn.

Audio Quality: Decent "to the rear" recording when worn, but amazing "to the front" as the mic is mounted on the from face beside the camera. I even ran some music in my vehicle and turned up the radio and it came across as clear as if I added the music onto the clip afterwards.

When speaking to different people I'm able to fully understand every word spoken within about 20 feet or less. Comes in handy in almost every regard.

Construction: It's made of hard and soft plastic. Has what feels like a rubbery feel to the front (which seems like a layer added on top). The screen on the back seems sturdy enough to take a few bumps, though I did leave the screen protector on it when wearing the alligator clip (the screen is put up against the clip with a small gap).

Downsides: Eats up memory. A single 40 minute clip on full 1080 HD fills an entire 4GB MicroSD card. I'm not entirely sure why, but the footage breaks itself down into multiple files. One file was 3.42GB (31 minutes) and a second one less in length and size to fill the card. I see no option for ONE continous file which would be ideal.

One the of the most major flaws which caused me to give this a 4 star review is that if you leave the unit on and then try to record a few things happen. I usually keep it on and plugged in while wearing it (with an extended USB cord plugged into a laptop). When I go to record I pull the cord and began hitting record. The camera goes into a standby when not in use, so it takes roughly 15-20 seconds to get out of that and start up. This requires you to hit the record button over and over until it starts. You run the risk of stopping the recording this way as well.

I then noticed after doing a VERY crucial recording... that while it recorded the video in full HD perfectly fine (albiet two files), it had NO audio. ?! That's what I said. There were some very specific statements and observations on the video that were completely lost. I tried three different players (VLC, KMPLayer, Quicktime) and the audio was simply gone. I attribute this to the fact that I had been keeping the camera on for too long regardless of whether it went into standby or not.

Bottom Line: It's an amazing camera. It's discrete. When mounted to chest I've had people look at it and not even notice it's a camera (I did apply black electrical tape to the MUVI logo which is bright white on the front, and to the two lights on it). It's sturdy... not a single problem even after some drops. It comes with an amazing variety of mounts for the dash, body, etc. The price is decent, and the quality is worth every penny. I'm tempted to buy a second one to dash mount it and run it in conjunction with the chest camera.

EDIT: 08-31-13

I have run into a snag with the camera. Apparently plugging it in and unplugging has now made the USB port non-functional and it physically moves around in the body of the camera. Plugging it in no longer charges it or accesses the footage. This is not something I would have expected to randomly happen from this camera based on its performance thus far. I have dropped the rating down to 3 stars while I contact support and see if they are able to send me a replacement (refurbished or not) or repair it. If the replacement goes through ok, I'll bump this back up to 4 stars and potentially 5 stars.

Just be aware that aside from the audio problem this is a possible issue that you can run into.

EDIT: 09-08-13

I contacted support through their website and received an email a couple days later. They will not replace the camera even if it's defective. They told me to contact Amazon which they can't help either with it being outside of the return policy. I emailed them back again the same day and no response over a week.

I now own a $150 paper weight. Be warned that Muvi will not warranty this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Camera Info, April 4, 2011
Camera is solid and well made. Easy to see the display even in sunlight. Came with a variety of mountings and a remote control. Remote control and VOX works great. It's very easy to operate. The touch controls are sensitive.

Video - Outstanding quality videos and four resolution choices.

Photos - The pics it takes are they are wide angle and towards the edges objects curve. It's an interesting photo effect but if you want plain photos this may not be the cam to select.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but no battery replacement options, June 7, 2013
Martin "Martin" (New York / New Jersey) - See all my reviews
I usually don't write reviews - but I do feel like I should warn you that the battery in this unit is not meant to be replaced, so as far as I am concerned - it is a disposable camcorder. I have electronic equipment that works from the 80's. But when batteries are built in and aren't designed to be replaced - it makes me feel like I am spending $150 for a ride, because eventually the ride will be over. I'd rather look for a unit that has user replacement batteries.

Other than that - it's an awesome little camera.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Camera, lots of features., December 19, 2011
Got this camera as a replacement for a smaller Muvi camera that failed.
The touch controls are very sensitive. The zoom will not work in movie mode.
Comes with an easy to use remote control that allows the user to take movies, or still photos.
The movie feature takes very good quality movies, even without the zoom.
The still photos are hit and miss, about half turn out blurry.
Battery life has been much better than expected.
The instructions that come with the camera are very minimal, and the controls can be a bit confusing, especially deleting and viewing files.
The camera is a bit large for mounting on a helmet, and for mounting on a motorcycle, it has lots of accessories, but no method of mounting on handlebars.
So far, the quality of this unit has been good, hope it lasts better than the first one I bought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Veho muvi HD-10 cam, September 1, 2011
OK, first lets clear things up. It is VERY easy to turn off the time and date on screen - (read the instructions). Second YES,. you can turn off the beeps too (read the instructions) This cam is MUCH better than the GoPro because: It has a screen. With the GoPro,m you either guess and get home to find you have recorded an hour of the sky, or pay another $100.00 for a clumsy clamp on screen. Also the veho has a 160 degree field of view. The GoPro SAYS it has a 140 degree field, but what they don't tell you is that's only for photo, video goes down to 180 degrees. The veho HD 7 and HD 10 are used by more motorcycle cops than any other and does not look like a grey cardboard box. The remote control is worth twice the price itself. Just too cool. Also the VOX feature instantly makes this a great security cam. Love it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I intended this for driving use and work but it excelled at catching our caretaker watching TV instead of dad., January 30, 2013
This little camera is great. I immediately plugged in a 32GB micro SD card and usually took this on my dashboard to record drives. (This thing comes with a mess of mounts and clip) It was also not only intended for use at work to catch those who should be caught but also our stupid customers who deserve to show their true colors on youtube. (And insurance for me for the lying hissyfitters.) This thing can be set to record when it hears audio. I wish it were motion sensor instead. Maybe next time. This thing is only like a double sized Zippo lighter in size and has an awesome color screen on the back to display what you're recording or looking at. You can also use it for playback on the unit.

We had recently hired a caretaker for my dad with Alzheimer's and I had a funny feeling about the new caretaker. I set the thing to record with audio sensor start recording and set the camera in the back of the room. Because this cam is HD AND has like a 160 degree view or something like that I was able to record watching the caretaker in up to almost 2/3rds + of the house. I caught her scoping out rooms she had no business in, and worse, ignoring my dad who she was being paid to care for. I watched her watch TV and talk on the phone for 3 days and fired her. BINGO! This recorder paid for itself hundreds of times over instead of us getting grief and regrets from a no good worker. I can just imagine something bad happening from a non caring caretaker. Thank you Veho.

This thing is small and easy to disguise. Just cover the tiny red light in the front with a square millimeter of electrical tape and you've got a cheap surveillance system. I should have rated this 4 because they missed motion sensor but this thing is a magnificent miniature HD camera. Even when I recorded 1080 it took a long time to fill the 32GB card.

This thing may also be great for sports but I messed up when I took it whitewater rafting so we never got to use it for that, although it did get to come along for the ride. The waterproof housing is waterproof and very sturdy, by the way. If you want a small, easy to disguise, HD, super wide angle camera, with remote control, that carries a very decent charge this is what you're looking for. The pictures from this motion and still camera are very clear and of excellent quality. I love this camera for its simplicity, tiny size, remote control, and excellent quality product both picture and build. What's even cooler is if you get the right micro HDMI > HDMI cable and you can play direct from the Veho to any HDTV. This also an excellent bargain for what you are getting. The recording video plays back in excellent HD on a large screen HDTV. I played it on a 60" and saw so much detail that I was really impressed something this small recorded such a beautiful video.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice camera at a great price, December 19, 2012
Ray J (Port Jeff, NY United States) - See all my reviews
So I just picked up this version of the Muvi HD after using the Gumball 3000 edition for a very short time. Both take very good videos during the day, and not so great videos at night. I decided to switch to this one because the Gumball version does not let you turn off the LCD screen while in use. Since I will mainly be using this with my car, I did not want a screen on all the time causing a potential distraction. Other differences, this version has more quality settings for recording, the remote is updated and the battery is now replaceable in it, and the buttons are now color coded, green for record, red for stop, gray for snapshots. The pluses to the Gumball version are that it comes with a car charger, which lets you record and charge at the same time. Too bad you cannot buy it separately for the HD10. The Gumball also comes with a nice window mount, which is much better than the other window mount kit you can buy separately. The audio quality on the Gumball also was very bad compared to the HD10. Maybe I just had a bad unit, but in the car while driving it totally amplified any rattle sound to the point you could not really hear much else. The HD10 does not do that. If you are trying to decide between the 2 models, I would pass up the Gumball version and get either the HD10 or the NPNG version. Gumball is a discontinued version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Law Enforcement, July 21, 2013
This is by far the best investment I have ever made. One exonerated Personnel complaint pays for it. This is a must for ALL LEO officers working with the public. It's well made and comes with a whole host of attachments. My only advice is to practice with it before you put it into play. Spend a few extra dollars to get the 32 g SD card. As a supervisor, I use it daily to keep my people out of trouble. (And myself)

Rate and Discover Movies