5.0 out of 5 stars New Patrol Buddy
I bought this device to record all my traffic stops and cases I come across. All I can say is that every department should have this issued. It's already saved my job! As cops, we get complaints all the time from citizens claiming this or that! It's an awesome feeling to say " No I didn't, here's the video!" This Muvi HD10 is awesome! Excellent picture / voice quality...
Published on March 23, 2012 by Local Cop

2.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, But Amazing!
I bought this camera based upon the reviews and example footage I've found on YouTube. The reason I purchased this to begin with was to have a wearable camera to wear while on patrol (Law Enforcement). I needed something that would be of quality, use as little space as possible, and be solid in construction. When it arrived, I immediately started testing it out using the...
Published 18 months ago by T. J. Young

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Law Enforcement, July 21, 2013
This review is from: Veho VCC-005-MUVI-HD10 Muvi HD 1080p Mini Handsfree Camcorder with Remote Control and Wide Angle Lens (4GB Memory Card) (Electronics)
This is by far the best investment I have ever made. One exonerated Personnel complaint pays for it. This is a must for ALL LEO officers working with the public. It's well made and comes with a whole host of attachments. My only advice is to practice with it before you put it into play. Spend a few extra dollars to get the 32 g SD card. As a supervisor, I use it daily to keep my people out of trouble. (And myself)

4.0 out of 5 stars Average College Adventurer, July 6, 2013
When I first found this camera, I was looking for a good camera that would be able to capture video, take high quality pictures, and record voice clearly. (I like to hike, go to concerts, bike, play soccer, snowboard, and record classroom lectures).

When I first bought this camera, I attempted recording my friends playing soccer (very fast movement). When video recording fast movement in the middle of the day, both the videos and images would come out great. However, as the night would get closer, the video would begin to lag and become more pixelated. Also, The images required me to hold steady for a longer period of time to prevent the picture from becoming too blurry. Fast paced action in dim light would become almost impossible to capture during night time. Although I was hoping the Video was more crisp for high action movies just as it is with low action recording.

After a while i decided to take my Muvi out for a Hiking Adventure. The continuous picture taking feature on the camera is perfect for this. You will be able to choose to take continuous pictures with the option of choosing the amount of time between each automatically taken picture. This feature is really helpful in taking effortless pictures of your adventure, which will "tell your story" when looking at the photos back home. This also applies to Concerts and fairs. The Fisheye effect of the camera makes for some cool effects for concerts and performances. Also, The music and crowd can be heard clearly without "blaring" your speakers when playing back videos on your laptop/desktop.

When taking the Muvi on my first bike ride, the quality of the pictures and video were again very clear. The fast movement of the bike ride does not compromise the quality of the images(in the day). Fast moving cars and moving pedestrians were captured clearly when riding past them with pace. The Bumpy ride did not affect the quality of the pictures, for most of them came out clearly when looking at the pictures afterward. I would say the same for snowboarding when comparing to a bike ride. However, I would recommend using a waterproof case for those wipeouts that may cause problems due to water damage.

As for the Voice, I have no major complaints other than wishing the microphone would be more sensitive to picking up sound. When utilizing my Muvi to record lectures in the classroom, I find the most effective way to record voice is to either sit in the first or second row of the classroom. This muvi does a good job at picking up the clarity of the lectures, but there is a small problem. When playing back voice recordings i am always having to put the volume on high in order to listen. With some headphones, laptop volume, AND Itunes volume on high, I am able to clearly listen in on what went on in class. It gets the job done.

Getting use to the Muvi's design is a matter of playing around with the buttons and features for a couple of days before getting use to. The uploading of pictures to your computer is easy to use and organizing files is an ease with the use of Finder (Macbook default). The Alligator clip (included) works great with the muvi in making all of this happen and can be easily clipped to a backpack strap or waistband.

All in all, I am happy with my purchase The major pros are that it can take awesome pictures with great videos and clear voice. The Major cons are that I am unable to produce the same quality of video and pictures under dim light.

I've owned this Muvi since late March 2013 and Its still going strong with no problem.

Hope this helps!

3.0 out of 5 stars sorry for the low rating, June 15, 2013
Length:: 6:41 Mins

I gave it three stars because the product description stated HD and 170 degrees field of view...
Even the manual states that under "Specifications"...

They even know how to stipulate as tehy did so when they mentioned "Digital zoom 3x (when using 720p resolution).

So, the manufacturer clearly understands how to write a stipulation yet did not do so when I came down to the HD being at a much smaller field of view in 1080 mode.

I purchased this for the wider field of view in 1080 mode and of course this is disappointing.

Sorry, for the short review but I wanted to get you guys a quick video of this product to help in anyway in your purchasing decision.
I suppose it is a great product if you do not care about that field of view and 1080 HD as I do.
Here is the quoted from the listing as I made the purchase understanding, "5MP HD video image resolution up to 1920 x 1080 at 30fps; 170 degree wide angle lens to capture all of the footage all of the time".
You can read this anyway you like but I understood it to be like the manual stated, full, 170 degree field of view at 1920 x 1080.
Very low battery life - right at 54 minutes of recording time at 720 and with seven different recording times on/off a full battery

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok for it's purpose, October 20, 2011
The camera itself has a good build quality and it's fairly small. You lose the zoom function when the camera is it to 1080P. It appears you only have the zoom when the camera is set to 720P. The remote function works great. They provide alot of different attachments for the camera to be mounted to something. For my purposes which is to video ski runs and kayak runs, this camera fits the bill. The waterproof at the time of purchase is not readily available.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the better wearable HD video camcorder in the market, October 13, 2011
Have enjoyed using this unit as it allows me the flexibility of using full 1081, 720 and lower to conserve mini sd card space. It is still small enough to be noticeable. Have used it extensively in my regular biking that I have mounted on my helmet as well as the bike handle. I like the fact that I can view my footage on the mini screen that is in the back of the unit. It gives you all the controls to delete footage or stills and format the sd card. Comes with the pocketable remote control. I can take video footage and still shots with the remote control. Just the same the unit has to be turned on and it would shut off depending on how you program it. It also has a voice control that when turned on, the video cam will start shooting with just 65 decibels of sound and turn off when the sound falls below the sound decibel limit. Time and date is an option that one can control off and on. Daylight and night shootings are fantactic.
Makes a lot of difference when footage is done while people are not aware that they are being videod unlike the hand held camcorder or camera where people behave differently. The camera is part of my daily attire that I wear in my belt, arms and on my SUV that I mount with the suction device that I adopted from my obsolete GPS. The attachments can work with HERO video cam except for the basic base. The rest is the same. The 5 MG pixel still pictures are comparable to any still camera. The sound is very acceptable. The lens cover could be more durable if it were made of glass or hardlex material instead of plastic. The case material is rubberized metal except for the rear that is made of tough plastic to protect the small screen.
I stll have to receive the waterproof case that I had to order from Amazon UK, where it is only available for now. Amazon US does not have it in stock. It cost me more money as the dollar is less in value than the British pound.
Have accumulated gigabytes of footage from the numerous outdoor and indoor adventures I have engaged in. The camcorder is mounted in my SUV when not in use for sports. Have another VEHO micro video cam in handy for pocket use.
Am happy with VEHO and its products. While I am not a professional photographer, the HD 10 should be used by law enforcement in their vehicles to catch the bad guys on the road. Cons: The unit shuts off when it is plugged into the vehicles 12v outlet. This is one improvement that VEHO should make to allow the unit to be used long term without using the battery smilar to GPS. HD witout the high cost...VEHO sure delivered.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good camera, some disappointments, April 21, 2014
I bought this camera on a friend's recommendation, as well as seeing videos on his YouTube channel coming from this camera. I give this camera a 4 star because there are some things that I didn't expect or foresee. I'll explain below

Quality & Memory

This camera can record at 1080P High Definition at 30FPS, 720P at 30 or 60 FPS, 960P 30FPS, and WVGA (848*480) 60FPS. At 1080P, your bitrate choices are 16mbps & 6 mbps. All the other resolutions are 8 & 4 mbps.

This is the part where I was a little disappointed. The description claims to have a 170 degree wide angle lens, but doesn't mention at what resolution, so one would assume that it applies for all resolutions. After playing around with the different resolutions, I realized that 170 degrees is good for any resolution BUT 1080P. After later research, I found that 1080P is at 120 degrees.

Veho includes a Class 4 4GB Micro SD memory card with this camera, which is decent, but won't last long. I would suggest a Sandisk Class 10 32 GB Micro SD card. On 4GB, 1080P 16mbps will probably get you about 30 to 35 minutes of recording time, or about 4 to 4.5 hours on 32GB's. 32GB's can hold about 9 hours of 720P at 8mbps, 4GB's will give you about an hour of 720P.

Pictures

The description claims this camera to take 5MP images, but your choices are 3MP, 5MP, or 8MP. The default setting is in 8MP. I give this feature a 3/5 because you have to hold the camera still in low light, even then it still comes out a little blurry. You pretty much have to use a tripod in low light. Speaking of that, this camera does have a tripod socket at the bottom. The pictures do have a bit of a fish eye effect because of the big wide angle lens on the camera, but not a problem for me since taking pictures wasn't my primary intention.

Date Stamp

I've seen this feature included on my digital camera, but Veho's camera went a step further. Not only can a date stamp be included in pictures, you can have it when recording a video. It's totally optional if you don't want it, but it's a nice feature to have when recording in a car, or need it for some other legal purpose.

Keep in mind that Veho is a European company, so the date is in the dd/mm/yyyy format. As far as I can tell, there's no way to change that. Doesn't bother me since I prefer to use the European date system.

Battery

Battery life is rated to last about 3 or 4 hours. Longest I've used this camera for on the battery is about 90 minutes, which used approximately half the battery. My old camera would last about 45 minutes on VGA (640*480) on one battery. The battery is internal and can't be removed, but I'm fine with that as long as it lasts me a few years.

The battery in this camera is part of the reason I got this camera. I use this camera in my car whenever I'm driving. Where I live, drivers can be crazy, and sometimes stupid. Having a long, lasting battery is very helpful.

Remote

I like the fact that a remote was included with this camera, as it comes in handy for what I use it for. I use this camera in my car when I'm driving. I can have the camera mounted to my window and put the remote in my cup holder, which gives me easier access if I need to stop a video or take a picture. The remote has 3 simple buttons: Record, Picture, and Stop.

Accessories

There were quite a few straps, cables, etc. in the box. I can't describe what some of them are or do since I didn't intend to use this camera for sports, so I only needed a few accessories from this box. One of them being the belt clip. Keep in mind that with the belt clip, you can't see the LCD screen (which is where the remote comes handy). With the LCD screen blocked, you can't take a picture without the remote, but you can still stop and start on recording videos. You'd still be able to see the red & green lights at the top left of the device with the belt clip covering LCD side. There is a CD inside the box, but it's not really needed.

Cables

With the included USB, it is a data cable. What that means is, if you were looking to record and charge at the same time, the included cable won't do it. There is another cable that you can buy for around $15 that will let you record and charge at the same time, so that way you don't have to use the camera battery. I just got the charge and record cable today (4/21/14) and will be testing it out today.

This is all the time I have for right now to include, so if I think of anything else, or if something else changes, I'll edit my review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, June 6, 2012
Very easy to use. Auto-corrects white balance -- colors looked right even in semi-darkened room. The helmet mount worked fine, and I got just over 4 hours record time on a freshly-charged battery. As others have noted, there is a slight fisheye effect, but I didn't find it too distracting. Long videos are automatically broken into sequentially-numbered files, presumably to avoid running into the 2GB filesize limit for FAT-formatted media.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Mini HD Video Camera, May 14, 2012
Alex Q (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
This video camera served me very well for daily use for a research study. It's video in good lighting comes out in fairly high quality. Even in low-light settings it does OK, but is a little grainy. For its size and quality, there are few other options that could do as well for the price. It has a very nice wide angle, so it can capture almost anything that would be within your view. This video camera is perfect for when you want decent, high quality video, but don't want to carry around something larger or heavier.

3.0 out of 5 stars LEO review- nice camera, audio problems, Veho 'support' beyond worthless, June 17, 2013
This is a LEO review geared toward other LEO's. I don't work the streets regularly anymore but do go back for the occasional OT assignment on holidays and STEP DWI's.

I am a firm believer in cameras in this line of work. I tell all the younger guys that if you are doing what you are supposed to be doing, good cameras are your very best friend, bar none. Screw evidentiary value- I'm talking about protection from malicious BS complaints. I speak from experience.

Not only that, we've all seen cellphone footage of officers doing something controversial, and usually the phone cams come out to film the reaction without the context of what precipitated it. This camera will protect you from belated (or intentional) out-of-context video sent to the front office via the news media.

That said, video has intrinsic courtroom value, and so I managed to procure three body cameras for T&E for us: Pivothead glasses, the Muvi VCC005 HD10 (the 'pro' version), and a tiny HD lapel camera of unknown make.

The Muvi is by far the most practical of the three for routine use. The Pivothead makes prosecutors 'ooh' and 'ahh' with amazing HD of HGN and true POV, much better than this unit, though it does have its own quirks. The small chewing-gum-pack-sized camera was great in daylight, worthless at night, and my concern about being easily lost came true within a month (hence no brand given).

First the good stuff. This camera comes with a box of accessories to mount it more ways than any one person ever will. Unlike the chewing-gum sized cameras, the plastic housing on this camera has a clip that is meant to be used and will hold tight. I clip it in line with the bottom of front pockets and it stays. Donning and releasing seatbelts, no problem. It has reasonable nighttime performance, though the pictures are grainy.32GB cards mean many hours of video can be saved. The battery is supposed to last 4 hours, though I've never needed anything close to that. Its practically invisible at night, and even in daylight conditions probably wouldn't be noticed by anyone that doesn't already know what it is.

Quirks- Like any camera the exposure range is limited. The spot of a Streamlight washes out any detail. 1080 HD is great, but if you choose that resolution you will have to be careful about keeping your subject in the field of view. If you get this unit you will see that is not always possible. There is a 960 option that has circular gumball distortion throughout the picture. 720 is available at 60 fps or 30 fps and gives a true wide-angle view, though there is prominent barrel and pin-cushion distortion across the frame. Nevertheless, IMO the 720 resolution gives the best results for this line of work- if its somewhere front of you its on video, and at interview distances the subject's body, hands, and face are visible.

LEOs, particularly if working at night, need to peruse the menu, shut off the audible beeps and turn off the blinking green light visible from the front when recording. When turned on, the LCD screen comes on but is effectively blacked out by the carrier. There is an orange light on the top that is illuminated when not recording, and a blinking green light when recording (easily muted with a Sharpee). I leave the orange one alone, as it is a reminder that camera is not recording. You can leave the unit on and ready for instant record (though the battery ticks away running the LCD screen), or turn it on as needed. If you do that though, you have to wait about 5 seconds before hitting record. Get distracted and hit it at 4.9 seconds- no video. Thus, IMO, the orange "not recording" light is a good double check. This may seem complicated, but in reality its not- seatbelt off, camera on, open door, hit record, no orange light in your periphery, its recording.

The most common problem I've encountered is the lens fogging up when going from A/C to humid outside air. Also, for LEOs I recommend the 'pro' model I bought elsewhere, as it doesn't have the white company logo on the front.

The Problem- like other reviewers here, my unit after a couple of months developed a weird, random problem of no audio. When it happens, the video is fine. It doesn't happen most of the time. This isn't a file conversion/upload problem as there isn't even any sound when the video is played on the unit. Sometimes its 1 out of 8 recordings, sometimes 1 out of 20. A string of videos made under identical conditions, most are fine, one is silent. I've tried different cards with different speeds, but nothing fixes it. I've tried different things to induce the problem, no luck. I was prepared for this possibility because I had researched other reviews here.

Veho, on the other hand, is completely, utterly clueless. Their technical support was limited to an email asking if I formatted and/or changed cards to correct problem. This flaw is well documented here and on other internet reviews, but Veho acts like it is news to them and offered no ideas beyond that. That is an indictment not only of the tech support crew, but Veho's apparent indifference to easily googled feedback of its products. I will try to send it back to B&H and if there are no problems with the replacement, maybe Ill bump the rating up.

All in all, if you are a LEO and you get a good unit, I think this thing is worth its weight in gold. Even now I clip it on, as I have other audio for backup.

5.0 out of 5 stars this is so much fun, September 3, 2012
I have this unit and actually built a cradle for it in one of my hats. So when I go the the doctor or got to buy something like a new car. I can record the whole thing live.
I also found it helpful hanging from my rear view mirror on the little clip on the back of the recorder. It saved me a ticket for running the stop sign. I showed the judge the video
and it clearly showed I stopped and that the police officer was mistaken. The ticket would have cost me almost $750.00 here in California, but with this little thing hanging from my
rear view mirror it caught the truth. Its a little short on recording time, but I can get almost a hour worth of recording on its battery alone. The picture quality is very good and it can pick up and it did the entire conversation of the officer at my window, flirting with me, and when I told him "thank you but no thank you" he wrote me a ticket. The judge got to hear all of that at the same time he watched the video. he dismissed my case..

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›