Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Style: Waterproof Case|Change

on March 25, 2010
This thing is great. I tried the Oregon Scientific ACT3K and the picture quality of the Muvi is far better.

The Veho folks aren't doing us or themselves any favors by shipping it with such a sub-standard memory card though. At first I was slightly disappointed until I put in a 4Gb class 2 MicroSDHC card I had lying around. What an improvement. I've got a couple 8Gb class 6 cards on the way so I should be all set.

Some things to note:

1. Files are limited to 30 minutes at which time it will start a new file.

2. For some reason all files are dated 12/31/2000 12:00 AM

3. Files are huge. The 3:25 min. video I submitted was edited in Movie Maker and saved as a WMV at 2mbps and is 52Mb. The original raw 5 minute AVI file at 64kbps was 175 mb.

4. The audio is awful but not really an issue for me.

The edited video in WMV was as close as I could get to the original. There was only a slight loss in quality.
6868 comments| 595 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
On the plus side, this camera looks well constructed. There are two switches, one for power and the other to activate the sound activation feature. There is also a little button on top to start recording manually.

The problem I experienced was unbearable background noise with every recording. I contacted Veho technical support and at their request sent them a sample. They said my recorder *was* defective and that I should return/exchange it. The attached video highlights the noise problem with both the original camera *and* the one Amazon sent as a replacement.

According to the manufacturer, some amount of background noise is expected. Let me provide their explanation, directly from their FAQ:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem: There seems to be a lot of sound interference (buzzing) on my recordings, even in a quiet room. Why is this?
Resolution: The level of noise that you are experiencing with the camera is normal. Due to the sound activation function on the Muvi Pro the microphone is extremely sensitive therefore it will always pick up noise even in a quiet room.

Me, I think it's nonsense. What noise, exactly, would a microphone pick of from a quiet room: Ghosts?

Another aside, mostly for people who already own this recorder is about the date/time stamp. It is permanent and cannot be remove (which goes back to it being permanent). It's also impossible to set unless you know how and nearly impossible to find out how. Here's how... Create a file named time.txt in the top level of the camera's memory. That would be alongside the folder named DCIM. You write in that file the date and time in the following format: 'YYYY.MM.DD HH:MM:SS' - Leave off the quotes, don't put a "return" at the end, and the only space is between the two digits for the day (DD) and the two digits for the hour (HH). Turn the camera off and back on. If you did everything right the file will be gone and the time will be set.

BTW, I feel that honest, effective reviews, accompanied by detailed videos, can take the place of first-hand experiences that are often lacking in online shopping. I've always appreciated the help I've received from other reviewers and try to return the favor as best as I can. Please let me know if found this review helpful and the video at least entertaining. If there was anything you thought was lacking or unclear leave a comment and I'll do what I can to fix it.
1717 comments| 343 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2010
I do a lot of walking, typically 3 to 6 miles every day from my home to my work, or to nearby businesses. Like most pedestrians, I've had my share of close calls with inattentive and careless drivers. After recently being hit by a car (fortunately, I wasn't too badly hurt), I started looking for a small videocamera that I could wear to record what happened during my walks. The Veho MUVI seemed ideal, and I've now had a couple of days to use it. So here are my impressions:

(1) The MUVI is both smaller and heavier than I expected. It came with a rotating clip to hook to the front of my shirt, and a lanyard to wear around my neck. It looks and feels quite sturdy. I wouldn't want to bounce it off a sidewalk, but it definitely feels tough enough to endure normal handling, or being dropped a short distance. It does get warm to the touch while recording.

(2) Despite what the product photos on Amazon show, the camera must be mounted or carried vertically, not horizontally, with the lens on top for proper orientation. The video quality (640 x 480 pixels) is excellent given the lens size, and the Muvi quickly adapts between outdoors and indoors lighting changes, and gives very good results with both.

(3) As many others have pointed out, the 2 GB card that comes with the MUVI is simply inadequate. Buy yourself an 8 GB microSDHC class 6 card. The MUVI requires about 2.6 GB per hour of recording, so the 8 GB card will provide sufficient capacity for about 3 hours of video, which should be more than enough given the battery life of the MUVI.

(4) Despite what the instructions say, you cannot record while the MUVI is being recharged. On the other hand, with two MUVIs, four 8 GB SDHC cards, and a USB auto charger, you could record an entire 12-hour road trip by charging one MUVI while recording with the other.

(5) My Macbook mounts the MUVI exactly like a USB thumb drive whenever it is plugged in. Videos can be easily dragged and copied, or dragged and deleted. The MUVI does not support high-speed USB data transfer, so I recommend that you get a high-speed SDHC card reader if you want to copy off movies quickly.

(6) Audio quality is adequate but not very impressive. The voices of the people I talk to actually sound clearer than my own, and are understandable as long as you don't have a lot of background noise. You could probably understand a conversation recorded in a quiet room, in my opinion, but I wouldn't gamble on it in a large crowd.

(7) Best of all, the MUVI doesn't look like a videocamera. I've had lots of people look right at it and not realize what it was. I'm guessing they dismissed it and assumed it was an MP3 player or some sort of Bluetooth earpiece. It is ideal for discreet recordings, especially if you find yourself dealing with government authorities and want a video record of your interactions with them. (First make sure to review the wiretapping laws for wherever you live.)

So what would I like to see for a future version of the MUVI? Full HD quality recordings, longer battery life, better audio, and true optical stabilization would be a nice wish list, although fitting any of them into the MUVI's form factor would require a lot of engineering effort. Nevertheless, the MUVI is still an amazing little videocamera for its size and cost, and I'm looking forward to using it extensively in the coming months.
11 comment| 163 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2011
I bought two of these as replacements for the similar unit I've had for about 18 months that has broken. One of the ones I bought would never sync up with my computer, and was returned at no cost to me to Amazon. The other one works fine, and has a better resolution than my original unit. I am a Police officer, and use them to capture video and audio on traffic stops, as well as anytime I have need of recording statements or actions. The audio on them is better than the in car camera I have.

I have also used one clipped to a hat band at sporting events to record video. It works well.
55 comments| 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 15, 2010
Purchased one of these and promptly rigged it up on the tiedown mount of an RV8 aircraft and flew it thru barrel rolls and high speed (200mph+) passes at airport. Camera did a very good job, only a slight pause for some unexplainable, reason (very slight). Handled the lighting variables in good shape. Excellent for the cost, and this is coming from a retired USAF Motion Picture Cameraman who has done several kinds of these applications on higher speed aircraft.
44 comments| 220 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 11, 2010
Veho VCC003MUVIPRO Muvi Pro Micro DV Camcorder with 4 GB Micro SD

I have to say I'm very impressed with this! I previously used a large Hi8 tape cam but it's very obtrusive. I use this 99% of the time I ride my bike as it helps me review and improve my riding technique. With this cam being so small and barely visible, I can leave it mounted when I park my bike. With the optional clip, it pops right in and out and It slips right in my pocket. I can even clip it to my belt while walking and no one ever notice. Sweet!
The PRO model is true 30fps. 4Gb is sufficient because it records for 2 hours and only uses half the memory. Add a 8Gb mini SD for under $30.
The only negative is how long it takes to upload your clips to a computer.
Something this small with this much quality you can't beat!
I removed the previous video and replaced it with two different views.
The first was with the cam mounted on the tank and the second half I was able to mount it inside of my helmet. I thought it came out pretty good and my feelings remain the same about the versatility of this little camera. And it would really be nice to have the option to disable the time stamp!
2424 comments| 246 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2009
I've bought 3 or 4 cameras of this type for use at work. I've bought 2 different helmet cameras that worked kind of okay, but this one knocks it out of the park. The case is built like a tank, it's very easy to use. The voice activated function is great. I'm using an 8gb chip in mine, so I can't talk about the quality problems I've heard about when using the 2gig chip that ships. I've used it the past couple days testing it by using the clip mount to clip it under my rear view mirror facing forward and I can tell you there are no police dashboard cameras that can beat the video. The camera focuses perfectly through the windshield and the angle of view is wide enough to capture a perfect scene. Low light is great, used it at a shooting range yesterday and once I figured out the proper placement the videos were great even in reduced lighting. If you need a tiny camera with great quality this is the one. My one complaint was when I installed the driver disk I began getting com errors and had to do a lot of googling before I could shut them off. I plugged the camera in another computer without installing the drivers and it worked fine. I suppose you will need the drivers if you are going to use this as a web camera, but thats a waste of a great piece of equipment. Audio is a weak point and wind noise will wipe the audio. If your going to use this as a cruiser cam not sure how you would get external audio, but it will pick up the video well. I highly recommend it. [...]
1717 comments| 235 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 6, 2011
I bought this camera for recording on-board video from my race car, and I'm not disappointed. After a half-season of racing, the Veho Muvi Pro is still going strong after being pelted with mud lap after lap. The video quality is very impressive for a camera of this price and size. Video wise, the only drawback seems to be that it struggles in low light. Usually this is not a problem for my purposes, as track lighting usually provides sufficient light, but a couple of times this year I have had grainy footage due to poor lighting and mounting location. When used around the house, sound can sometimes be a bit muffled, but when racing, the camera does an excellent job of capturing the sound of my engine, with little to no wind noise. Others have mentioned the video skipping just a bit, I've had a bit of this with the memory card shipped with it, but it's usually minor, and indications are that a better memory card eliminates this issue. Overall, this camera has done what I wanted it to do, and is at a low enough price that I can afford to put it in peril on the track. After seeing my videos, one of my competitors has already bought one for himself, as has an ultralight pilot that I know. The included video is a compilation of clips in different lighting conditions, to give you a real-world idea of how the camera performs. All in all, in my opinion it's a fine camera at a great price.
44 comments| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2010
1st, Battery life poor but other than that it was a pretty good camera. 2nd, My unit died at 7 months. Unit has a 1 year warranty but no one will honor it! Seller ('PORTABLE GUY') directed me to the manufacturer (VEHO)who directed me back to the seller who said that manufacturer had to warranty it. (catch 22) Veho has not responded to any follow-up emails. Amazon granted me an 'exception' and refunded my money, (good decision by Amazon!). If you choose to buy this beware of ~ZERO~ customer service from either Portable Guy or Veho.

Veho VCC003MUVI Micro DV Camcorder
1010 comments| 234 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 22, 2010
Like most people, I bought this because it was small. It mount's to my vehicle's windshield easily and does not obstruct my view tucked up under my rear-view mirror. It seems well built, and easy to use. The included memory card provides a good amount of recording time, but it is very slow to transfer the videos to a computer through the internal USB, only about 1MB/s. You should get an SD adapter and use a card reader.

The main downside to this is the battery. It advertises a recording time of about 3 hours, but I struggle to get even one hour record time out of it. It can only fill the card if you stop to charge it between shooting, or if you run it on USB power. A $5 USB 12V to USB adapter works nicely for me, with a thin USB cable.

I found the included clip is nice, but it's not entirely useful. If you want to expand your mounting options, check out the RAM mount system. The RAM-B-238-VEN1U allows this to mount with a "B" size ball. Then you can stick it to almost anything depending on your base.
66 comments| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse