Veil of Midnight by Lara Adrian
Paranormal Vampire Romance Mass Market Paperback- December 30th, 2008
4 ˝ stars

Published on December 29, 2008 by Bookaholics Reviewer

3.0 out of 5 stars Liked it, but didn't love it...
*** 3 1/2 stars
Published on December 31, 2008 by Dark Dreamer

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 stars - kick a## heroine, super HOT vampires, and mesmerizing twists and turns! Oh, yeah!!, December 29, 2008
Bookaholics Reviewer (Bay Area, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Veil of Midnight (The Midnight Breed, Book 5) (Mass Market Paperback)
Veil of Midnight by Lara Adrian
Paranormal Vampire Romance Mass Market Paperback- December 30th, 2008
4 ˝ stars

Veil of Midnight is the 5th in Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed Series and another hit in her continuing vampire series. Unlike many authors whose continued series have run out of steam and seem flat, Lara Adrian's books build upon each other, enthralling her readers. Mesmerizing characters and fascinating plot lines are introduced, which are sure to keep readers wanting more!

Nikolai is a vampire of the Order, an elite vampire group whose purpose is to protect the vampire society as well as humankind. But, Nikolai has never been good at playing by the rules and when he is sent to track down a vampire Elder he meets more than his share of trouble.

When Renata first meets Nikolai she is puzzled by his decency. He is unlike any of the repulsive and cruel vampires she has been forced to serve. She has been humiliated and used by a vampire Elder for her psychic powers as well as her blood. Renata spends her days plotting to escape and stay alive. Renata's sole comfort is a young psychic girl for whom she cares. When a powerful group of renegade vampires threaten Renata and her charge, Renata realizes she needs Nikolai's protection.

Veil of Midnight is sure to be yet another best seller and is guaranteed to delight and captivate fans of the paranormal and those jaded by the 'typical' romance. It has suspense, fascinating world building, and enthralling characters. I particularly enjoyed the characters interactions. Although both characters began as enemies, they grew to earn each another's respect and love. Renata was a resourceful and ruthless woman who was more than a match for Nikolai. I was also intrigued by the mysterious characters Lara Adrian introduces in Veil of Midnight. (I am especially eager to discover the origins of the elusive Hunter.) The story ends well for the two main characters, but be warned, it does leave many questions unanswered for her next installment.

Reviewed by Steph from Bookaholics Romance Book Club

3.0 out of 5 stars Liked it, but didn't love it..., December 31, 2008
*** 3 1/2 stars
I won't give you a book description since there are a few already. What I didn't like was the love story part of the book. I felt that the couple lacked something, not quite sure what but there was something missing. The relationship felt a little flat to me. The continuation of the saga from previous books was better. I liked that this book moved the big picture foward and held some interesting plot twists and surprises. It seems to me the first few breed books had a delightful and exciting romance involved, the last two seemed a little lacking in that dept. I am still planning to continue following this series and did enjoy the book, just not as much as the first few.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Booksmarks from Wild on Books!, November 6, 2008
Nikolai has been sent by his commander to Montreal to find a Gen One vampire that is in danger. The blond warrior gets more than he bargained for when he is tricked by a beautiful woman named Renata and is immobilized by her psychic force. Upon awakening, he finds his quarry and is invited into the Gen One's lair. Once there, Niko comes face to face with the atrocities this vampire has been hiding on his land. When Niko loses his temper, he is thrown off the vamp's land. Niko, however, isn't leaving without a fight and he for sure isn't leaving without Renata, the woman with whom he saw his destiny.

Renata has been a prisoner of Yakut's, a Gen One vampire for two years. First brought to his home as a woman to hunt, Renata impressed the forceful vampire with her psychic ability and made her one of his bodyguards. When Renata overhears the huge blond warrior asking about her boss in a club, she sets him up for capture. The tables are turned, however, when he is invited to Yakut's home. No matter how much the warrior makes her tingle, Renata will not forget the seriousness of her life nor will she forget her promise to keep the child Mira safe. When Mira is sold out from under Renata, she vows vengeance.

Nikolai and Renata set out to find the sinister Rogue that has suddenly become more powerful than any of his Order thought. With vampires being murdered and allies turning against each other, the only two people Nikolai and Renata can trust are themselves and in turn that trust leads to a bonding - breed style.

Yearning for Nikolai's story since Kiss of Midnight, I knew that his mate would have to be a warrior worthy of him. Renata could not have been more perfect for him. She is fiercely loyal and a female warrior determinedly defiant in protecting her own. Her psychic ability helps out immensely in the battles she and Niko fight. They love just as intensely as they battle. Her trust in Niko and the power of his blood to heal won me over and made me her biggest fan.

Nikolai... honed warrior breed, blond, faint Russian accent. There was NOTHING about this fine man that I did not like. His combativeness and skills as a warrior surprised me with the ferocity in which he fought but I knew without a doubt that when he loved, he would love forever and without hesitation - which he did. Quite sensually I have to say. Add in the special talent Nikolai possessed concerning vines and this remarkable vampire made me shiver.

Lara Adrian utilizes previous characters throughout Veil of Midnight. As a reader I am dying to see what happens next in this paranormal, yet contemporary and believable world. Veil of Midnight will enthrall you and leave you breathless for more. That's just the first time you read it. Reading it a second time will just seal your addiction to these heady warriors and their breedmates.

Veil of Midnight is the fifth installment of Lara Adrian's highly successful Midnight Breed series. As such, I highly recommend going back and reading the series in order, starting with the book that started it all, Kiss of Midnight. You will be glad you did!

The Midnight Breed Series reading order is as follows:

Kiss of Midnight, Book 1
Kiss of Crimson, Book 2
Midnight Awakening, Book 3
Midnight Rising, Book 4
Veil of Midnight, Book 5

***Natalie S. for Wild on Books***

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovin Me Some Kick A** Heroines!, January 23, 2009
The Order, a military faction of the Breed civilization, is in the midst of saving not only their species, but humanity as well. The Breed truly are a sub-species of humans. Having originated from aliens who where able to breed with human women, the offspring of these unions were left with the terrible task of bringing down these ancient aliens in order to preserve Earth's human inhabitants from their bloody destruction. These vampires were known within the Breed as Gen One vampires, and today are a rare find in the Breed population having existed since the death of their ancient alien fathers centuries ago.

Lucan, leader of The Order, has charged one of his combatants, Nikolai, with the task of making contact with a Montreal Gen One named Sergei Yakut. This elusive Gen One is to be offered their protection because an unknown assassin is systematically killing the Gen One Breeds and thereby exterminating the most powerful members of their species.

During Nikolai's search for Yakut he encounters the very mysterious Renata who welcomes him with a very sharp blow to his ego. Renata is a Breedmate - a special human female who can mate with the Breed. Each Breedmate can be identified by the same crescent moon and teardrop birthmark. In addition to their ability to provide offspring, Breedmates also have psychic abilities that are unique to each individual. Renata has the ability to create a high pitched sound heard only by the Breed that creates debilitating pain. Suspecting that Nikolai is the hit man that nearly murdered her boss, Sergei Yakut, Renata brings the big Breed down with every intention of capture and questioning.

Renata and her crew are surprised to discover that Nikolai is a warrior member of the Order and that the hit on Yakut was planned with the combined intention of wiping out all Gen One Breeds. Renata at this point appears to be a verdant follower and protector of Sergei Yakut but this appearance couldn't be more contrary to the truth. Having been abandoned as a new born and survived her formative years on the streets, Renata has learned time and again that she can absolutely trust no one. Her entrance into Yakut's circle was nothing short of abrupt and terrifying. She now lives in a realm of fear with the knowledge that she can never, ever escape.

Nikolai is granted permission to investigate the scene of the failed hit at Yakut's hunting lodge located outside Montreal. The hundred year old lodge is bereft of any human comforts and it's soon apparent that Yakut has been organizing and participating in the outlawed practices of a Blood Club whereby humans are captured then hunted for sport. Nikolai is also introduced to Mira, a young Breedmate with the incredible ability to show the future to anyone who looks into her eyes and is fiercely protected by Renata. Nikolai confronts Yakut on his illegal extra-curricular activities with abysmal results. After which events soon unravel with Mira being sold to an evil vampire, another hit on Sergei's life being successful, and the horrible added result of Nikolai being charged with the murder due coincidental circumstances.

Renata, determined to rescue Mira but realizing that she can't do it without help, breaks into the holding facility that's interrogating Niko. As the two escape, it becomes a race for their lives and with the death toll increasing every hour, Renata and Niko can only pray that Mira herself is not dead.

I really liked Renata. The fact that she's a warrior was fun and exciting, plus I felt a measure of female satisfaction every time she brought the Breeds down with her mind. Her strengths nearly put her on equal footing with Niko and their struggle for domination was interesting. Renata was above and beyond the most admirable of the female characters of Adrian's series so far. She repeatedly made hard sacrifices not only during her time with Yakut but also as a child living on the streets. She always put those weaker beings first in her priorities.

On the other hand, Nikolai was boring. We know that he's the adrenaline junkie of the Order but that's about all. We aren't privy to Nikolai's upbringing until nearly the end of the novel. While his past was indeed tragic, I thought that Adrian could have brought it out earlier in the story and saved me and my distracted search for understanding. I wanted to know who Niko was and if he had any substance to his character. Needless to say I was disappointed.

I was also disappointed with the romance. It just felt forced and based purely on Niko and Renata's life or death circumstances. One minute Renata believes Niko to be the killer of Yakut and then she's in love with him all because he agrees to help her rescue Mira? Plus there was some definite innuendo regarding Renata and sexual abuse. Although it is never verbally or mentally confirmed by her, there seemed plenty of evidence to indicate that there was. Yet Renata has no trouble having sex with Niko and the fact that she was raised by nuns leaves little in the way of modesty and Renata is soon butt nekkid and turned on!

Honestly I feel that if Adrian had been allowed an additional two hundred pages of wrting space, this story could have been great. The plot and action were intense and exciting and I think maybe a bit too complicated thus forcing the romance into the background. Adrian was also spending numerous pages in other characters' POVs when she could have devoted that time to Niko's and Renata's romance.

So far, I've personally found Adrian's novels to be either a hit or miss on my "like it" or "love it" scale. Combined with the fact that I loved the action packed plot but was disappointed in the romance, I have give this novel three stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars 2.5 stars - Not great romance, not bad story, June 9, 2009
I've been reading the Lara Adrian Midnight series from Book 1 straight through, starting about a month ago, and this is my first adult vampire series. I LOVE them!! But this latest book I just finished, "Veil of Midnight" wasn't great compared to the rest of them. With all the other heroines, I felt connected and I understood them. I understood their feelings and why they might hesitate to fall in love. But then, I also felt their joy in discovering love, trust and respect from these incredible Breed men through Adrian's writing.

HOWEVER, Renata just plain annoyed me. She was too guarded and too volatile. I couldn't understand (aside from destiny and that she was apparently gorgeous) why Niko would fall in love with her so quickly. I have a daughter who I would give my life for, but I wouldn't be so recklessly blind as Renata is when it comes to her either (thus causing the final conflict between her and Niko). That she makes such snap judgements about Niko really annoyed me about her.

I agree with the other reviewers who said the characters and love story just weren't developed enough in this book. Their back stories seemed rushed and like I said, I just couldn't connect with their love. The story concerning the furthering of the overall arc of the series was good, with an interesting twist that I'm excited to see played out.

While I'm glad I read it so that I can keep up with the overall story, it's not one in the series that I feel compelled to read again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very bland........2.5 Stars for effort!, December 30, 2008
Cooper (Houston Texas) - See all my reviews
I waited so long for the "Veil of Midnight." I was not crazy about it. It was bland. I felt the romance rushed and not very believable. I did not like Renata, I felt she was a little too Amazonish. Nikolai I was not crazy about either. The story did not get going until the middle, yet it still was not a "WOW!" If you have never read this series, and this is your first, don't be discouraged. Read, "Kiss at Midnight", "Kiss of Crimson," and my favorite from this series, "Midnight Awakening." Those three are the best of this series so far. I still think this series has potential, as long as Ms. Adrian returns to her orginal formula.....ROMANCE + PASSION and some suspense, in that order. Unfortunately, this book was just okay, it had a little too much of suspense, and not enought of the other two. I would not read it again.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Romance Fell Flat For Me, February 20, 2009
I think that this book strayed closer to the Urban Fantasy mark than Romance. I would be fine with that if that had been what I was expecting. However, I bought this in the Romance section and was expecting those qualities. The relationship between Niko and Renata felt rushed and flat.

I liked Renata's character. I thought she could be dense at times, but her overall strength and lack of "woe is me" was very refreshing. Even though her physical strength and weapon skills didn't put her ahead of Breed males, her crippling mind attacks definitely did. I think that some might find her cold in the beginning of the book, but I enjoyed her stoicism. It seems like most of the time a strong male is paired with a weaker female, but I felt that Renata was the stronger of the two lead characters. Or at least I felt that way for the beginning half of the book.

For the first part of the book Niko was a mystery to me. It was kind of irritating because I wanted to see more of who he was as a character. There wasn't a lot of insight into him until later in the book. When we did get told about his past it was still rather "ho-hum" for me. I wanted to see more of who he was beyond his mission. I guess because we spent more time in Renata's head I had a better understanding of her character. The stray thoughts here and there built on each other to show what made her tick. I guess I wish we would have had more of that with Niko too.

I liked that Niko wasn't looking for love, but when he did realize he had fallen for Renata he owned it. There was no mental angsting about it. He may have been a bit surprised but he never tried to deny it and was actually the first one to admit it. It was refreshing, but leads directly into my biggest problem with the story: the romance.

I think Niko and Renata needed more time to develop their relationship. I liked the unwilling fascination with each other in the beginning. I also liked the thread of danger that ran through Renata when she thought of Niko. She had to be very careful to not put a foot out of line there or Sergei Yakut would crush her. I was intrigued by the faint disgust Niko had by his attraction to her when he thought she condoned what Sergei did and that he desired her when he thought she was blood-bonded to Sergei. I was really looking forward to see how the author would get the characters together with all those factors against them. Unfortunately that was never explored.

Niko seemed to want to be with Renata because of a hot vision he saw. He seemed to fall in love with her for the same reason, because I can't see any other reason why he'd feel that way so quickly. Renata seemed to want Niko because he can help her find Mira and because to heal she needs his blood and his blood makes her hot. She seems to fall in love for the same reason. I wish I could have seen a real reason why they want to be together. As it is I feel that after the adrenaline wears off and they don't have to rescue anyone they'll start to realize they don't know each other at all.

I was intrigued by Hunter right away. I predicted what would happen, but not how it would center around Mira. I'm interested in what part he will play in the upcoming story arc. I was very irritated by the inclusion of Andreas Reichen's story arc. It was blatant sequel bait. It added absolutely nothing of value to this storyline. I like to read connected stories in a series, but it is very irritating to have so much space in a book devoted to a character that doesn't impact the current storyline at all.

The book is well written and the storyline is intriguing. It's very easy to get caught up in the action of the book. I enjoy this author's books and will buy her again, but I wish she would bring back the balance of romance and action that she had in her earlier books.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Romance Does Not Compute, November 17, 2009
I have enjoyed books 1-4 of Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed Series except this one, #5, didn't work for me.

It seems that the reviewers here who had a problem with this book, had a problem with the romantic aspect. I agree with them. The 'romance' felt rushed and odd. Our hero Niko was just okay - he wasn't as bright as a hero should be. The heroine Renata was so abrasive. I strongly disliked a good deal of their dialogue which bordered on the melodramatic, oddly enough. It seemed like suddenly they were in love, and this after she really put him into at least 2 dangerous (VERY dangerous) situations. One of those situations, by the way, (I don't want to give any spoilers) would have at least left Niko justifiably pissed off at her, but he wasn't! No hard feelings for nearly getting him killed?! No, instead he finds he is irresistibly drawn to her. How, I wonder, since she flips between being so darn caustic and then is moping and whining repeatedly to him, "Will we find Mira? Will she be ok?" Shut up! And what does he do? He keeps giving her the same answer, over and over, "I promise you we will find her... bla bla bla!" Then they're having cataclysmic, totally unrealistic sex, and oh, by the way, they realize they are falling for each other. Based on what!? AND if Renata is so tortured over the missing Mira, how the heck could she even be in the mood to get it on?!

On the good side, there is a lot of action and plot, lots of really nasty baddies to keep things interesting as well as developments relating to the overall picture of the series. But as to how things wound up for the H/H HEA, I really lost interest. I'm not sure what happened to Lara Adrian's writing in this book.

Like I said, the previous 4 books have been well-done and Lara has so far been one of my favorite paranormal romance writers. I guess not all the books can be 5-stars, but I'm hoping that this book is not a sign of what is to come, or I'll be really sad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely loved it, October 27, 2009
Zan (zanandrob) - See all my reviews
I loved this book for a number of reasons

- The main female character- Renata- is anything but a helpless, frail female. She is strong, fierce, powerful and yet still utterly feminine. She is a total bad-ass with an iron will. She singlehandedly rescues Nikolai from containment facility for heaven sakes. I love strong female characters.

- Nikolai has no emotional baggage from his past that interferes with him falling for Renata. He doesn't have a "tortured soul" or "I'm evil, stay away", or a "I don't deserve to have love" complex. This is very refreshing. He doesn't constantly run away to find a diversion from her, questions his feelings or push her away emotionally either. Here is a male who knows what he wants and goes after it. But then again, Nikolai is a seize-the-day kind of guy.

- The characters know what each other are from the beginning of the story - he a Breed Vampire and she a Breedmate. All the cards are basically on the table from the get go and therefore no need for any kind of deception about the whole Vampire/ blood drinking thing.

- There are sub-stories taking shape throughout the book that normally I hate because I just want to focus on the main characters and don't really care to read what's going on from the bad guy's perspective. But the plot twists and sub-stories are so interesting. I actually didn't mind reading them. For example in the case of Dragos, Hunter, Fabien and even Lex (Alexei).

- Another thing that is interesting about this book, Nikolai spends the entire book away from his brothers at the Order. The whole thing is played out in Montreal away from the Boston compound. The good part about this is he gets to spend day and night with Renata and we get to see their relationship progress without any interference from the members from the Order.

- I like that even before the last chapter of the book the main characters are already bonded together and are looking to their future together. Unlike the previous book with Tess and Dante, I feel like Niko and Renata's story is completely resolved at the end. However, you are left wondering about what's going to happen to the other characters including Hunter in the other books to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Series Is Getting Better and Better, January 5, 2009
LeaF (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
I waited for what seemed like forever for the publication of this book and I have to say, Lara Adrian did not disappoint. In fact, IMHO her "Midnight Breed", series is getting better and better.

For those of you that are not familiar with the stories, Ms. Adrian's vampires are a group of warriors formed by their leader 'Lucan', millennium prior to the story told in "Kiss of Crimson", the series opener. The "Gen One", vampires are direct progeny of eight extraterrestrials called the 'Ancients', who were lethal, powerful, bloodthirsty creatures. After arriving on earth the Ancients carved a path of bloody destruction, wiping out entire villages in their quest to feed. Lucan suffered great loss at the hands of his father, an Ancient, therefore he formed "The Order", a group of Gen One warriors, and engaged in a bloody war to wipe out the Ancients. The Order prevailed against the Ancients, and they thought they were all killed. The books all take place in present day and The Order's role has evolved to one of keeping their people safe from their enemies.

Breed males are powerful, not only with respect to strength and speed, but they also each have a unique gift passed down by their mother, a "Breedmate". The Breed can only conceive under certain special circumstances following the exchange of blood with one of these very remarkable human females. These women have an identical tiny birthmark somewhere on their bodies that identifies them. Breedmates all have a special gift such as the ability to heal wounds or psychic ability etc. Once a Breedmate and a Breed male exchange a blood bond, they are mated forever or until death. They have a special link, one knowing where the other is or when he or she is approaching.

Each book tells the story of one of The Order warriors and his mate. Ms. Adrian has gradually built their world, expanding the Order's "family" within the main base located in Boston. What I really like is that the setting for these stories have changed, not all taking place in Boston. The other outstanding point is that each of the Breedmate's is written as an exceptionally strong woman.

Civilian Breed vampires live in a colony type of setting called 'The Darkhavens'. The Breed are not tolerant of sun exposure and they do have enemies within their society. The Order also deals with bureaucracy within the Darkhavens and the civilian police force.

"Veil of Midnight", is Nicholai (Niko) and Renata's story and takes place in and outside of Montreal, Canada, where he is sent to track down 'Sergei Yakut', a reclusive Gen One vampire. The Order has been trying to locate and warn the Gen One's because an assassin has been targeting and taking them out one by one. There are very few Gen One vampires left.

Niko gets a lead on Yakut's whereabouts through questioning some young Breed males in a bar in Montreal when he sees and attractive woman come in. She attracts his attention, he approaches and questions her, then she runs from the bar with Niko in pursuit because he is sure she knows something about Yakut.

The woman (Renata) is a Breedmate who uses her powerful gift to bring Niko down in an instant. As the story progresses we learn that Renata is virtually enslaved to Sergei Yakut, who is a brutal bloodthirsty Gen One vampire living in an isolated area outside of Montreal. Yakut also keeps a young girl captive, who is a Breedmate with an extremely special gift. Renata has bonded with the little girl, loves her dearly and will do anything to protect her.

In addition to her Breedmate ability, Renata trains as a warrior incessantly and is an expert with weapons, especially knives. She is quite the lady!! She is however emotionally vulnerable and very suspicious of Niko as their relationship intensifies.

I always liked Niko's character, he is the "jokester" of the warriors. He loves to tease his fellow soldiers about their settling down and 'bonding', with their mates. He is a master with weaponry and actually crafts his own for use. Like all the Order's warriors, Niko is a battle honed soldier dedicated to carrying out his mission, he is completely committed to his brethren. Renata gradually earns his respect and ultimately his devotion and love as she too is a determined warrior. His special gift is a very unique one and when he and Renata make love, it comes into play. The sexual tension builds between these two and IMHO the eroticism was extremely HOT.

Ms. Adrian has developed a separate subplot in "Veil of Midnight", concerning 'Andreas Reichen', a high ranking, well connected and wealthy civilian who lives in one of the Darkhavens in Germany. Andreas was introduced in "Midnight Awakening", 'Tegan's' book and has been an ally of the Order. An exciting storyline surrounding Andreas is developed and next book in the series "Ashes of Midnight", is to be his story. While Andreas is a civilian, he is extremely powerful, his 'gift' is lethal and amazing.

I think of all the heroines in Ms. Adrian's novels, Renata is probably the strongest with respect to her gift combined with her warrior skills. She is well mated with Niko and Ms. Adrian wrote a lovely HEA for them.

The focus of "The Order's" missions have evolved and changed and this is a transition book. However, what I like about this series is that the plot has evolved over the course of the stories and at no time have the subplots overtaken the main storyline in each book. New characters have been introduced gradually and the subplots are well integrated along with the antagonists in the novels. If you have not read this series I would suggest starting with the first book "Kiss of Crimson", and if you like the story read them in order.

So, "sigh", now I wait until May 2009 for Andreas' story. I have to say, despite being way to old to admit to this, I am a total Lara Adrian 'fangirl'.

Veil of Midnight (The Midnight Breed, Book 5)
Veil of Midnight (The Midnight Breed, Book 5) by Lara Adrian (Mass Market Paperback - December 30, 2008)
$7.99