4.0 out of 5 stars Linda Howard is back--sort of!
The other reviews have given you the basic plot. Yes, you will know "who did it" almost immediately after the murder, but the book is fun and fast paced. The hero is a macho cop, a bit travel worn; and, the heroine is smart, sassy and a bit damaged. However, I really liked both of them and their chemistry.

To those who criticize the lightness of the plot, I...
Published on August 11, 2010 by Shelli

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry to Say, a Snoozer
Published on August 12, 2010 by JP Reader "Me"

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry to Say, a Snoozer, August 12, 2010
Starting off with a bang, wedding planner Jaclyn Wilde and Detective Eric Wilder run into each other (literally) at the courthouse one afternoon, then at a bar where they talk long enough to discover their last names are almost the same, and then gosh darn it the attraction is so strong that they find themselves together in bed that night. Oddly enough, for me that was the best part of the book as neither made any kind of excuse or justification for that action other than "Hey, (s)he is really hot and sexy and I wanted to!" I found it kind of refreshing.

There is a morning after scene that made me oh so fondly recall the Linda Howard humor of the past. Eric is lying in bed contemplating how he likes women well enough for the good parts but really wishes he could avoid the complications like having to spend an hour or so the next morning talking and relating because he is a busy man and he just doesn't have time for all that stuff. Jaclyn then pops into the bedroom, hands him a cup of coffee in a To Go cup and takes off for the shower and asks him to make sure to lock the door on the way and oh sorry, she just doesn't have time for a chat because she is a busy woman! At this point in the book, I gave a small grin and settled in for hopefully a really enjoyable Linda Howard ride.

Unfortunately, it went downhill from there. First the characters - there is Eric who is pretty much a Wyatt from the Blair Mallory books wannabee. Detective cop, perfect body, perfect face .. wisecracks on demand. In fact, halfway through the book I kind of renamed him in my head as "Eric/Wyatt." Jaclyn thank God is only 25% as irritating as Blair Mallory ever was in that she at least doesn't spend chapters explaining to the readers how beautiful, intelligent and successful she is - that is left up to Eric/Wyatt to tell us. And tell us. And tell us. So we get a whole lot of "Jaclyn is very pretty and classy and I know she'd never murder anybody but I still have to do my job gosh darn it!" Its a real internal struggle for a guy who has spent a total of one night with the woman.

Then there is a good portion of the book where Jaclyn first explains that as a wedding planner it is her job to give the Bride what she wants (the Grooms are hardly ever mentioned other than as poor saps who should probably run) and then paragraphs of Jaclyn internally mocking the taste of the Bride. There is a more than a little class snobbery in Jaclyn's persona ... Nascar (tacky), Wedding on Grandpa's farm (Hee Haw Hell which somehow translates into a doomed marriage), high society extravaganzas (true love).

As far as relationship development goes, there is the scene I described at the beginning of the book and a really quick chapter summary at the end where Eric/Wyatt explains what will probably happen in the future. Pure tell, little show. Very boring. The ninety percent of the middle of this book is taken up with the internal struggles of the two characters. Jaclyn hates Eric/Wyatt because she is a busy woman (6 weddings in 5 days) and he has the audacity to bother her with questions about a murdered woman. She glares at him. She snaps at him. There is one excruciating scene where the "stress" of being involved in a murder investigation gets to her and she stomps her feet, screams at him, calls him names, shoulder butts him a couple of times and generally acts like a petulant 4 year old who missed her nap. I guess this was supposed to be sexual tension or something but I have to say my response as a reader was more along the line of "Huh?" Are there really men who find that attractive and amusing?

As a couple, these two never go on a date, they don't discuss religious beliefs, movies, hobbies or tastes in music. They don't kiss, hold hands, have fun together or show any affection and the boom! Jaclyn has a near death experience and next thing you know she's decided she loves the guy. Criminy. And then she has the audacity to question the validity of the Hee Haw wedding couple's love?

As far as solving the murder goes - as other reviewers have already mentioned this whole thing was painfully obvious pretty much from the the beginning. So obvious that I spent a good deal of the book thinking that it had to be a red herring and I was in for a surprise. Pfffftttt. Oh well. Eric/Wyatt figures it out pretty quickly too, saves the day, blah blah blah blah blah.

Read at your own risk but if you're hoping for a Linda Howard turn around this isn't it in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Linda Howard is back--sort of!, August 11, 2010
Shelli (NY, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Veil of Night: A Novel (Hardcover)

To those who criticize the lightness of the plot, I say: "Be happy the old Linda Howard has come out retirement and remember the plots of her "classic stories" were often predictable, but always sexy and fun." So is her new book.
Michele

4.0 out of 5 stars Huh?, August 10, 2010
Veil of Night is about a event coordinator named Jacklyn who is having a very busy week with six weddings and five days and a bride from hell to deal with in the meantime. She has a one night stand with a detective and when the bride from hell is killed and Jacklyn is the main suspect, Detective Eric Wilder is called to question her. The book follows the actions of Jacklyn and Eric as they try to figure out what happened to the bride from hell as well as their feelings for each other.

I've been a fan of Ms. Howard for years. Her novels have always been full of intrigue and suspense as well as juicy sex scenes. Veil of Night has all the right points in the suspense part. Although, the murder doesn't happen until half way into the book which makes the first half go by almost painfully. The rest of the book is composed of interrogations and questioning and fits in right with Ms. Howard's style. The romance aspect of the novel is what is really lacking. There is chemistry between the two main characters and one very nice sex scene in the beginning of the novel...but that's it for the rest of the novel. I kept reading and hoping for at least one more sex scene...but no. Very disappointing, but I'll still be waiting to see what comes next.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not her Best, August 30, 2010
This review is from: Veil of Night: A Novel (Hardcover)
I have all of Linda Howard's books. I have a love-hate relationship lately. This one is somewhere in between. it started out great and had a very interesting premise. It was downhill from there. In Linda's good books, you leave with the feeling you know the characters. This was all superficial stuff. you never can quite connect with the characters, and the characters don't quite connect with each other. You can't see any motivation behind any of them. The plot is disjointed with lots of things that seem unrelated. I kept waiting for things to get moving, but nope. Throughout the book you know who did it, so in the end you want to know why. You'll be left still waiting--for the action, for the answers, and most of all, for the romance.

4.0 out of 5 stars it's a keeper for me, August 19, 2010
This review is from: Veil of Night: A Novel (Hardcover)
This book is fun from beginning to end. Linda Howard wrote some of the funniest lines in this book that made me laugh out loud. Some of my favorites that I remember:

From Eric: "She kabobed!"
From Madelyn: "She killed someone? Can't say I'm surprised, that psychopathic little slut. Bless her heart." :)

I've read some of the reviews here and I don't understand the complain about the lack of interaction between Eric and Jacklyn. They are together pretty much on every other page in the book, and when they're not together, they're in each other's mind constantly. Linda Howard did a good job building Eric and Jacklyn's relationship progress into believable story arc, considering the timeline. She shows how Eric learns more and more about Jacklyn and her life from his investigation and interrogation, and liking her more because of it. Linda Howard shows how Jacklyn finally comes to trust Eric in the end through his heroic act. To me, that's more romantic than pages after pages of sex scenes.

I really like how Linda Howard shows that Eric knows quite well just which button to push to aggravate Jacklyn, eventhough they've only met for less than a week. There's one scene when Jacklyn finally loses it, after days of Eric's constant shadowing of her (she views this as lack of trust, Eric's just doing it because he can't stay away from her), and that scene was a LMAO moment for me and Eric.

If anything, the only weak part of this book is the suspense part. I still don't know the reason behind the killing but I may have missed that from reading too fast. Will have to re-read it again at a slower pace.

I would highly recommend this book. It's funny and enjoyable, solid B+ for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars It has its moments, August 16, 2010
This review is from: Veil of Night: A Novel (Hardcover)
Being a huge fan of Ms Howard's earlier works, It's been such a long time since I've felt, wow, what a great novel. Veil of Night is better than the last several for sure and makes a good attempt at sparking the wit and chemistry we all know and love, but I have to agree with most, it was a pretty boring book. It has a good start and a decent ending but the middle is pure pain.

Jaclyn Wilde is an events planner with her mother and they have 6 weddings scheduled in 5 days. In addition to this, Jaclyn needs to finalize the details for the ultimate Bridezilla wedding to take place in a month. When the tension escalates between her and the demon bride, she finds herself getting assualted and fired by said bride and calls her mom afterwards to celebrate only to find out later that the bride was murdered right after their incident and she's the primary suspect. To make matters worse, she's being investigated by the hot detective that she had a one night stand with only the night before.

This book had a lot of potential. There is a lot of the humor, wit and points of view of both the hero and heroine of the story to add to their attraction to one another. Unfortunately these moments are so far and few between. I'm not sure what has happened to her writing style but we often find ourselves having to endure the mind of the killers or bad guys as well as her peripheral family that add absolutely no value to the story and only detract from the main characters. For example paragraphs from the mother's point of view on how she loves her daughter, paragraphs from the bad guy thinking over and over again how they've worked hard for what they accomplished and won't let anything stand in their way. And of course, paragraphs and paragraphs of thinking of one another that is humdrum and boring. Linda Howard's books used to be about the hero and heroine working together and building their relationship. This book highlights how they work separately and how they each deal with their situations by themselves. For what is supposedly romatic suspence, the only tension is at the end of the book but by then, you already know who the killer is and it's just a matter of proving it.

Last but not least, I'm not even sure how the Veil of Night got it's title and cover. It seems far more dark, dangerous and sexy than it really is. If anything, this book is lighthearted and fluffy and has nothing to do with it's name. Veil of Night is better than the last three novels by Linda Howard, but if you've read them, it's not saying a whole lot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Veil of Night really made me laugh, August 18, 2010
This review is from: Veil of Night: A Novel (Hardcover)
I have been reading Linda Howard for a long time. One of reasons she is a 'must read' author is that she always makes me laugh. The immediate jump into bed was surprising, but not a deal breaker and while the reality of the characters and predictability of the book wasn't to several reviewers liking, I remind them this is fiction and doesn't have to be how real people would react !! What made this another Linda Howard book that I will read again and again is the laughter. Ok, so Jaclyn is a little uppity when it comes to Nascar and Hee Haw, has anyone ever met a wedding planner that didn't have a bit of that personality trait? Ok, so Eric has only a few words he uses when describing Jaclyn, men aren't always the most articulate when they are trying to use both of their heads at one time.

The bottom line is that Veil of the Night made me laugh out loud several times and there is not much else you can ask of an author but to feel good after reading their books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Linda...how the mighty have fallen, July 12, 2011
This review is from: Veil of Night: A Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
First off, I want to say that it pains me to do this to an author who has been responsible for countless hours of reading enjoyment, but I feel that it is my responsibility to warn all of her die-hard fans, of which I am (was?) one.

This book was not good. If the author had been someone else, I probably would have given it 2 or maybe even 3 stars, but for an author who has given us such contemporary gems as Dream Man, Cry No More, Shades of Twilight and Heart of Fire, not to mention some suberb historical romance, this was just sad.

It felt like she was just going through the motions and not even bothering to read what she'd written in the last chapter, because the repetition was unbelievable. I kept waiting for the plot, waiting to care about the main characters, waiting for the expected breathless Linda Howard suspenseful twist, and I GOT NOTHING.

Maybe her publishers are putting lots of strain on her to produce, produce, produce in a short amount of time and she has folded under the pressure and just sold out. The quality of her novels has slowly but surely deteriorated over the past few years and I know I'm not alone in wondering why. Is she getting old? Bored? Lazy? Is she on drugs? Why, Linda, why? Take your time, please. If I have to wait three years for an amazing book, I will gladly wait, instead of wading my way through this insult to both of us. I know you can do better, Linda. We all know what you are capable of. Now go out there and give me something good. Or I may have to stop buying your books.

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars - On the Line Between Great and Okay, August 15, 2010
This review is from: Veil of Night: A Novel (Hardcover)
Plot Summary: Wedding planner Jaclyn Wilde is a classy lady. That's what Detective Eric Wilder thinks when she enters his usual watering hole for a much needed after-work drink. This chance meeting is followed by an impetuous night of amazing sex that has them both wondering if it was only a one-night-stand. Before they can explore anything, Jaclyn is considered a prime murder suspect when one of her clients, a raging Bridezilla, is murdered shortly after they had an explosive meeting. Eric must remain detached and professional in order to clear Jaclyn's name, but she's too hurt by his cold treatment to understand his motives.

Not bad. I don't want to raise expectations too high and proclaim that Linda Howard has returned to her former greatness, but Veil of Night stepped back toward the style of romantic suspense that made her my personal queen in this genre. It wasn't too short (Ice), it wasn't overburdened with boring descriptive passages (Blood Born), and it didn't have a wildly improbable romance (Burn). This one reminded me of a Jayne Ann Krentz novel, the ones where the heroine is a career-oriented, self-employed business owner, usually an event planner, or something similar. As formulas go, it's not a bad one, because it's not hard to identify with the smooth, cool lady who has it all put together on the outside, but on the inside she's just like us, sometimes insecure, often emotional, and desperately in need of a good man.

Eric was an utterly believable and likable character. He wasn't totally smooth and polished, but he knew himself, and he refused to apologize for his rough edges. I liked the fact that Eric's interest in Jaclyn was mostly sexual to begin with, but his feelings for her developed naturally. Well, as naturally as they can in a story-line that takes place over a week, but in a romantic suspense novel, that's a lifetime. My point is, he wasn't ready to settle down and make babies right away, because it always freaks me out a little when a story has the man eyeballing the woman as a potential mate within the first five minutes. It feels off.

Ms. Howard took her time introducing the villain into the plot, and I suppose that hurt the tension a little, because I never felt that Jaclyn was in any danger until well into the second half of the story. I think she wanted the focus to be on Eric and Jaclyn, and instead of plopping the reader into the danger and simply alluding to their shared past, she actually took the time to let the reader experience it first hand. I liked it myself. While I don't think I'd spend the big bucks to read the hardcover edition, I'd have no compunction buying it as a paperback. I've got my fingers crossed for Ms. Howard's next book, and I hope she keeps climbing that staircase up to the top where she keeps her best work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Would Make a Lovely Romantic Comedy, August 10, 2010
Jacqueline (Lone Jack, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Veil of Night: A Novel (Hardcover)
I liked this for what is was. It was a light hearted romantic suspense. It succeeded best where the heroine, Jaclyn, was trying to deal with her frustration with the hero Eric. I kept picturing this as a romantic comedy. The scene where she pitched a hissy fit at a wedding rehearsal was laugh out loud priceless. I would totally go see this at the movies.

The book was fast paced and quick to read. LH is good at writing clear coherent scenes which are easy to visualize. There was a lot going on, a lot more action than introspection. The dialog was good. The men seemed like men and not just what women wished men were like.

The romance element was not intense and torrid. The book took place over a week so this was the opening of a relationship. Which is more realistic than falling in love and being totally committed after only a week. They knew they were attracted to each other and were going to give a relationship a try after the book was over. There were two nice love scenes. They were short, as descriptive as necessary without being pages of graphic stuff that bogged down the story. (I have no objection to graphic stuff in its place which is not a light hearted romantic suspense like this.)

The suspense element was okay. You knew pretty early who done it. I would have expected more red herrings concerning the others involved in planning the wedding, the caterer, the seamstress etc. The blurb on the book made it seem as if since everyone hated her, there would be many suspects. The police were shown solving the murder and a lot of the scenes revolved around their work, but it wasn't to the level of a police procedural novel written by people who specialize in that sort of fiction.

The ending was a bit unclear. You had to guess a bit at motivations based on one scene that took place earlier in the book in the victim's POV.

All in all a nice way to spend the evening. Not the best that LH has written but not the worst and far better than most other less talented authors.

Veil of Night: A Novel
Veil of Night: A Novel by Linda Howard (Mass Market Paperback - June 28, 2011)
$7.99 $7.19