5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story and Memorable Characters
Published on October 5, 2011 by Brenda

3.0 out of 5 stars Veined (A Guardian of the Angels Novel)
The story was well written. I was not at all impressed with how those with angle blood were depicted, not at all angelic. The story did drag on. The female was your typical romance novel air head. I finished the book, actually fast forwarded through much of it.
Published 21 months ago by Me

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story and Memorable Characters, October 5, 2011
This review is from: Veined (A Guardian of the Angels Novel, #1) (Kindle Edition)
What to love about Veined? Attic. LOVE him. It seems at first like he's going to be the stereotypical hot, mysterious guy. I love a hot mysterious guy as much as anyone, but there's definitely more to Attic. He really made this book for me. He's funny, sarcastic and cocky. His relationship with Sylva, the main character, starts out as antagonistic when he's assigned as her "transition helper" after she returns to school from being in a coma. Neither of them want him there and the relationship between the two is fractious, to say the least. I don't want to give too much away about what happens, but suffice it say that Attic is not at all what he seems -- and when Sylva finds out, it changes everything. Because it finally explains the blue mark that covers her back and the rising dead body count that Attic may or may not be at least partly responsible for. The ending left me reeling...and really really really dying for a sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars My kind of story, August 30, 2012
Wow. I've forgotten just how good this story is. Right up there with everything I love to write and read. I know the story may not be perfect, but it's my type of thing. So it's perfect to me.

Where to begin? Oh, yes:

The Plot: Is pretty basic for an YA paranormal, though with a twist. Sylva Lark wakes up cross-country and from a coma. Her family has moved there to allow better treatment. Little do the know that Sylva's doctors, as well as Sylva herself, are Guardians - bearers of Angel blood (in their Veins - hence the title) and demon hunters. Sylva must adapt to her new life, find out what's wrong with her and why she has the Vein mark and then decide whether she wants to be a Guardian or not seeing as she'd have to let go of her family and friends. Then, there's Attic, her supervisor and transition helper, soon to become trainer and love interest, and you just KNOW sparks will fly.

What I loved:
- the characters. All of them are awesome and I felt like I really got to know them. Sylva is a protagonist with personality I enjoyed following around. Not ONCE did she piss me off or make me want to scream at her to grow a brain. Even if there were times when she kinda avoided asking the right questions, she at least was aware of it.
- Attic - is not a jerk. He's a tease, which is a lot different. It's Sylva who kinda misjudges him and pushes him around emotionally. He doesn't have that annoying I'll-be-a-jerk-to-you-to-protect-you thing going on, for which I am forever grateful
- the whole process of Sylva making up her mind about becoming a Guardian or not - felt very real to me how her emotions bounced and it made sense.
- the world building - loved everything about it - including the familiar settings of forest and small town.
- the love story was just great. Nearly damn perfect! ;)
- That Sylva had powers too and used them, making her not so damsel-in-distress-ish. I hate damsels.
- it's a fun, fast story meant to be enjoyed rather than dissected. Though, if you read between the lines, you'll find some pretty awesome stuff.

What didn't bother me but could bother others:
- there are some extra words, punctuation marks and such, but who cares when it's such a fun story
- I'll be damned if I could think of anything else. I mean, I've read the lower-rated reviews and I don't agree with them - I'm a reader who remembers details, so I found no inconsistencies in the story.

BONUS: Favorite scene *spoiler alert* [At the end, when Attic and Sylva kiss goodbye. I think it's soooo sweet how they tell each other that they love each other. Loved it the first time around, loved it so much more now. It's the sense of loss and tension that got to me, especially knowing what will happen] *end of spoiler alert*

I honestly recommend that everyone gave this a try if they like YA paranormal that strays a little from the classic formula. Will I read it again? Well, since this is already the second time, my guess is YES!
Will I buy the sequel? OF COURSE! I actually can't wait for it to come out! (hint, hint, Anyta!)

I am the self-proclaimed president of the Anyta Sunday Fanclub.

5.0 out of 5 stars A heroine deserving of the name, November 5, 2011
I love this story. It's so fantastic to see a heroine that is passionate, intelligent, kind, ambitious, and just selfish enough to be real. I love Sylva's independence and her focus, how she values her family and friends. Through her eyes we are gradually introduced into another world - like Sylva, we have it revealed to us piece by piece. And like Sylva, I feel at the end of this novel that I still have a lot to learn. I can't wait for the sequel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Veined (A Guardian of the Angels Novel) by Anyta Sunday, August 16, 2012
Sylvia Lark, Albelin, Jason, Maddy, Marcus, Attic

A Young Adult Paranormal Romance and coming of age novel, the author, Amyta Sunday, has brought us a unique and interesting take on the tradition angels and guardian stories.

When Sylvia Lark wakes up from a coma she is unable to remember what happened to her or how she came to be in the hospital. Her memory is clouded and much of what she remembers either doesn't make sense or seems somehow fantastical. The doctor isn't much help either, treating her oddly and increasing the surreal feeling she has had since she awoke. But happily for Sylvia, her family soon arrives and she is allowed, oddly, to leave on the same day she woke up. In fact, much of what surrounds her is odd. From the fact that her family has moved while she was comatose to the student who has been assigned to help her transition back into the mainstream in a new school.

Sylvia does have a knack for making friends and is soon surrounded by distraction in the form of Maddy, an offbeat endearing and fun classmate and Marcus, who is the best friend to Maddy and a romantic from his heart to his soul. Then there is Jason who Sylvia connects with initially and is claiming a piece of her heart.

While strange things are beginning to happen around her Sylvia feels she is almost being stalked by the mysterious and drop dead gorgeous Attic. He is in her dreams and is awakening thoughts and desires that have not been part of her life before. But she is Jason's girlfriend, isn't she?

With a complex plot, characters who compel interest, a good storyline that flows with ease, the author has created both human and paranormal characters who interact with ease. The mystery is both believable and complex enough to hold the attention and keep the pages turning.

I would rate this 18+ due to adult sexual situations.

Karen Bryant Doering,
Parents' Little Black Book
MistBlueEeyore@gmail.com

5.0 out of 5 stars On the edge of my seat!, May 18, 2014
YARNOVERMOM (WEST MEMPHIS, AR) - See all my reviews
I have NOT finished reading this book yet but I am totally hooked! This is one of the best books I have read in a long time and I got it for free, go figure! fI you want something in the Young Adult area of writing and you want something that is going to keep you guessing, this is the book for you. This is a story that starts out with a young girl in a hospital who wakes up from a coma. The Doctor assigns her a 'transition companion' to help her cope while she is getting back to living her life. HE is also around her age and enrolls in her school to 'keep and eye on her and be there if she needs it', BONUS he is gorgeous! He is also edgy and challenging. She wakes up with some sort of blue circle on her back that 'tingles' whenever he is around. Something is going on in town, people are getting killed, mutilated and she senses it when it happens.

That is as far as I am going to go or I will spoil it. READ IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, May 17, 2014
I cried, I laughed, I fell in love. The book did not bore me. it kept moving, and I didn't want it to stop at all...

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it., February 17, 2013
Sylva Lark has just awoken from a coma to find out that her entire life has been turned upside down. Her parents and younger brother have moved cross country to get Sylva the help she needed. When she starts at a new school, she is assigned a transition buddy named Attic to help her adjust. But what exactly is she adjusting to, why does she have a bright blue spiral etched into her back, and why does buddy Attic wear long black gloves all the time.

The answers she receives will flip her life once again, and she risks losing everyone who has ever loved her.

You will have to forgive this review, my brain is currently only operating enough to keep my eyes open (sleep deprivation thanks not quite 2yo son lol) but this book was amazing. Its a case of same old meets new angles, You have teen paranormal romance, but with strong characters and strong storylines. I would totally recommend this to everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing, Fun, and Worth the Read, February 17, 2013
I learned of this book from a free Kindle books newsletter and gave it a go. All in all it was a pretty decent and amusing read and I was delighted since not all the freebies are quality books (for me). Very few grammatical mistakes, and an easy read help to make the journey with Silva and Attic enjoyable and helps you get sucked in without any uncomfortable technical error stops along the way. The theme takes a slightly new spin on the Angels vs Demons war, but the characters themselves are fun and dramatic and nicely crafted so you successfully feel what they do. The author sometimes berates you with themes she seems unsure the reader would pick up on otherwise, making sure her prowess doesn't go unnoticed which made me want to shake my head a couple times, but its minimal in exchange for the nice escape provided in the short amount of time it take to read the book. Only short because you get sucked in and don't want to leave until there aren't any more pages left to turn. I will definitely be reading the second book and encourage you to give Veined a fair chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars There are no words to describe the awesomeness!, January 17, 2013
I don't think I can write a review that will do this book any justice. This story is a roller coaster of emotions that left me crying like a brokenhearted teen at the end. Oh the ending...oh oh oh...every time I think about it, it kills me (but in a good way if that makes any kind of sense) I loved everything about this book. There was never a moment so dull that I got bored and felt the need to skim. There was no over descriptive page filling and there were no pointless plot twists. From the 1st page to the last...this book had my undivided attention.
I love the world that Anyta brought me in to. Sylva is a heroine that truly deserves the title. She embodied every aspect of a heroine. I was with her through her entire heartbreaking journey and I could feel what she was feeling in the extreme new life she found herself living in.
Then there was Attic who seemed to start off as the typical teen read lead guy...but after a paragraph or two you just knew there was going to be so much more to him. He didn't spend his day pinning away for some "love at first sight" "mysterious attraction" (neither one of them did). While there was attraction at first sight, there was more to Attic and more to this slowly building relationship and you couldn't help but cheer them on.
I can't wait for the next book to come out. The fact that when I got to the end of the book and found I was going to have to wait a few months to get the next part of the story had me crying just as much as the ending itself. Everyone needs to read this...just do it...SERIOUSLY!

3.0 out of 5 stars Veined (A Guardian of the Angels Novel), December 8, 2012