4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product for the price
Initially I bought a Cruz Reader which was not exactly friendly because of the touch screen. As soon as the Tablet came out I returned the reader and got the tablet.
1- It is an excellent ereader with many more additions
2- Video playing is very good, it accepts AVI as well as other formats
3- WIFI a access is very good
4- Access to Facebook, twitter,...
Published on November 12, 2010 by AMEX

1.0 out of 5 stars Be prepared to be underwhelmed
I bought this because I'd done a bunch of research on tablets and saw a lot of hype and anticipation over the release of the Cruz Tablet. Then I saw Best Buy drop it's price by $50 -- OMG. So I jumped at it.

There are a couple of positives about it:

Published on November 23, 2010 by Robert J. Kierski

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product for the price, November 12, 2010
This review is from: Velocity Micro T103 Cruz 7-Inch Android 2.0 Tablet (Black) (Personal Computers)
1- It is an excellent ereader with many more additions
2- Video playing is very good, it accepts AVI as well as other formats
3- WIFI a access is very good
4- Access to Facebook, twitter, browsing the web, etc.. are a very nice plus for a traditional ebook reader

For me this is a very good product for travelling. It is a great ereader, plus you can watch videos,listen to music and have access to the web and games.

I would not compare the Cruz Tablet to the Ipad. They are different products for different markets. For what I was looking for I am very satisfied and I paid half the price than an Ipad

A nice feature is that you are NOT tied to Border books, I installed a Kindle reader and now I have access to the Kindle library which is very extensive. You can also shop around to compare prices on ebooks. I could not make the BN reader to work yet
Regarding the apps, if you search around a little you can find many apk free, such as google maps ( no gps), games, youtube,email clients, etc. Some of the applications can not be installed since it is based on android 2.0 but I was not expecting the Cruz to be a full tablet since the beginning.

For me this is a very good ereader with many PLUS benefits.

I would have liked the possibility of upgrading to android 2.1 or 2.2, but the information says it is not possible

1.0 out of 5 stars Be prepared to be underwhelmed, November 23, 2010
Robert J. Kierski (Farmington, MN USA) - See all my reviews

There are a couple of positives about it:

1 It looks nice. I doesn't look cheap or cheesy like some of the other tablets. The lines are clean and the controls are where you'd expect them.

2 Battery life is awesome. I pretty much played with mine for 3 days, almost non-stop. I only had to charge it twice.

Other than that, I can't think of much that was good enough to comment on.

Now for the negatives:

1 CRUZ Market. It's a joke. The apps are provided by a freeware site, not affiliated with CRUZ in any way. About 75% of the "apps" are web based apps -- not standalone. The one app that is available from CRUZ (YouTube) is only available if you go to their support web site and download it onto a desktop computer first. I attempted to D/L it from within the CRUZ tablet -- it failed.

2 MIPS CPU. Most other Androids use an ARM CPU. The MIPS CPU in this means several things: a Hacking it is nearly impossible (You can _never_ get Android Market because it depends on shared libraries that are for an ARM only b) You will _never_ see an upgrade to Android 2.1, 2.2, or 3.0. c) that also means you'll never have Flash. d) can you say "slow?"

3 Memory size. The documentation is misleading (to me anyway). I thought there was an internal 4GB SD card and an external 8GB SD card. There is only one SD slot and both cards are external. If you need to swap the cards, you have to quit all the applications that depend on any data on the current card, or you risk corrupting your card. Not all the applications have a "quit" option, so you need to get a 3rd party app the will kill other apps.

4 The screen. There are several things I don't like about the screen. It's not responsive. For a capacitive screen, it sure acts like it's resistive. Even if you're careful and use just your pinky nail, you can frequently select the wrong thing. It's said to be glass... but I'm guessing it has a polycarbonate laminate so it scratches just like all the others. And fingerprints... don't even get me started.

5 Weight. I'm sure the battery capacity is because it's packed with batteries. Compared with other tablets with similar battery life, this thing is a load. It's thick too. These two make it uncomfortable to hold for any length of time.

6 No extras, No accessories. It has no camera, no GPS. There's a microphone so you can leave yourself voice messages, but skype doesn't work... so the microphone is pretty worthless. The speakers are horrible. Either they're not loud enough to hear, or they're over-driven (distortion). There is a dock port... but no dock.

7 USB. They say the storage is expandable via USB. The USB here is one way. This is a rather lame complaint as there aren't many devices that have dual purpose USB ports. But I read into this that I could connect my external 2TB USB drive. You can't.

8 File formats/File browser. There are very few file formats that it understands. MPEG isn't one of them. If you have anything in MPG or MPG2 format, you'll need to transcode it first into something it recognizes. The file browser isn't any help when trying to load files it doesn't understand.

9 SMB/CIFS -- Nope... doesn't have it. It has NFS, but there isn't any way to configure NFS mount points. And really... who set's up an NFS share on their desktop or laptop? It would be nice to be able to remotely share the documents on your desktop/laptop without having to load them on an SD card, or D/L them using a USB cable.

10 Video is horrible. Even though you can get YouTube from the CRUZ support web site, it's not worth having. Playback in the YouTube app is choppy at best. Most of the time, I'd see a blank screen and hear the audio. The app isn't fully functional because you're missing google provider services and extensions. Playback of local videos are choppy, studderish, sometimes out of audio/video sync.

11 Photos. If you wanted to use this as a very expensive E-Photo-Frame... I'd reconsider. The CPU power necessary to convert a 10MP picture to fit on the screen is more than this CPU has. Hence, transitions are even worse than it's video playback.

All-in-all, I was disappointed. There are a bunch more things I could have ranted about. In then end, I regretted spending the $250 this cost. I was thankful that BestBuy was willing to take it back without charging me a restocking fee... although I was willing to part with the 10% - 15% fee I was expecting to pay.

UPDATE (12/20/2010):
At the time of writing the above review, when I attempted to access the "CRUZ Market" (or freewarelovers.com) from the Cruz Tablet, I found the number of apps to be disturbingly few. Today, when I access freewarelovers.com from my PC, I see there are many of the apps I was interested in getting. And... it appears the apps can be D/Led to the PC and side loaded using a USB cable or SD card. As I no longer have, the Cruz Tablet, I can't verify that these apps will actually load or run. I also can't determine if these apps are "browsable" from the Cruz Tablet. But... I can see there are about 1500 android apps on freewarelovers.com including kindle, skype, and various other tools I spent my 3 days searching for.

UPDATE (3/31/2011):
To those who feel the need to post insulting comments based on the information in the above review:

The facts presented in the above review were true to the best of my knowledge as of the date the review was written. Many things have changed in the "World of Android" since that time. While I have kept informed about the "World of Android" in general, I have not followed the progress of the CRUZ tablet that I reviewed. If you have information about changes that might help a prospective customer make a knowledgeable decision about buying a CRUZ tablet, I would invite you to post that information in a reply here, or in your own review.

UPDATE (11/7/2011):
Based on a response from one of the people who has replied to this review, I have seen the Cruz Tablet at a very reasonable price point -- $69. I believe the Cruz tablet is worth significantly more than that. As one person pointed out, at this price, you can buy a bunch and give them to your kids at Christmas. At the time I purchased the tablet (a year ago), there were a number of issues I had with a it. Velocy Micro has addressed many of those issues. In the above review, I indicated that the OS would never be upgraded. This was based on information directly from VM. Since then, VM has posted an upgrade to Android 2.2 -- a significant improvement. While there are tablets out there, and more coming that will have more features, better battery life, and maybe a better price/performance ratio, this tablet is still a pretty good buy. It is certainly very durable.

If on the other hand, you feel the need to post insulting comments.... BITE ME!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent reader with lots of extra's, November 19, 2010
I have had the reader now for 2 weeks. I was able to add kindle (from FREEWARE LOVERS .com)slideme marletplace (from cnet downloads) alkido books and several games..As a traveling companion its excellent..plays clear movies and music..You can buy movie in ipod format from moviedir.com..they play fine and dont take up alot of card space.Directions leave much to be desired.. Any android tablet would be for someone with computer abilitys..Android is a telephone format that has been adapted to tablets.because of this some downloads dont work..Tablets are being denied access to the android market by google..and possibly android updates.
Long car rides, my wife can play solitaire or packman..It won't play angry birds or do live wallpapers..Ive got 6 hrs of battery life playing movies on the plane..

4.0 out of 5 stars Great device - don't confuse it with $500 tablets however, August 9, 2011
Ok, lots of complaining out there. First off, you get what you pay for. I paid $199 for the tablet, not $500 or more. So, my expectations were realistic. Yes the screen can be a little difficult at times and occasionally when you put the device to sleep instead of turning it off, it locks up and you need to reset it which is a pain. However, I turn it off every time I am done with it and I haven't had a problem with the screen since.

It reads Amazon books, Borders format, PDF etc etc. I watch AVIs on it all the time on the plane. I download TED conferences onto it and listen to them also. Screen picture is great, video isn't choppy unless you watch a huge HD movie. I've had issues watching HD movies that are 4GB in size. Smaller movies, say less than 1gb work perfectly.

I can shop on Amazon for books, it downloads the books instantly and I am reading in under 60 seconds.

My kids use it and love to go on the Android app sites and try games. Yes, some games don't work, but I am guessing that would be the case regardless of which device you purchase. The game / app may not be written for your device.

It doesn't have a camera or GPS. WHO CARES! Really, I didn't buy it for that. I bought it to read, watch movies, store some family pics I can look at when I travel and maybe play a few games. For that it is fantastic and would purchase another one in a heartbeat.

Like anything else you purchase. Figure out what you really need/want, and what you are willing to pay. Don't purchase it, and expect it to compare to an IPAD. Seems obvious, but so many people complain after buying a device that is 30% of the price of others and insist on comparing it as if they were apples to apples.

4.0 out of 5 stars Update Firmware; Use a CLASS 10 SDCard (Vital for Android OS), February 22, 2011
A quick Supplement to the other reviews:

For a substantial increase in device performance - use a fast SD Card (I use a Patriot CLASS 10).

The supplied card is only a Class 4 and will make your sideloaded mp4's and pdf's slower. (I did verify that standard 29 frame mp4's , as well as , pdf's work well).

The Cruz website (...cruztablet...) provides a blog, userguide, the LATEST FIRMWARE UPDATE, and searchable product support which explains how to install it.

Summary
Use a CLASS 10 SD Card (vital for it's speed and for Android OS caching), and Update this T103's Firmware. Also, the device itself Feels rather high quality. I hope this is helpful.

2.0 out of 5 stars E-reader + some extras, November 18, 2010
I bought this have had had it for a couple days. Overall it's a great reader with some extras. I have a 30 day return policy and I'm still arguing with myself if I want to return this or not. I would suggest if you are going to buy this buy it from a place that has a 30 day return policy and you can easily get your money back

Pro's
Good reader (day/night mode)
Borders app installed (I am partial to Borders)
nice email application
Good web access(see cons regarding youtube/flash).
great touch screen, very responsive
Good customer service via phone and email (sucks I had to call and email)
expandable memory up to 32 GB, comes with 4 GB and 8 GB SD card
Wireless N
I usually get 10-15 hours of battery life split between reading, movies, music, websurfing etc.
Plays movies, need to convert them from whatever you have movies as on your PC to MPEG 4

Great price for what it does, from my research it's the best under 300.00 thing out there that calls itself a tablet. However if you want the full PC experience and don't want an IPAD suggest you wait for something other than the Cruz and be willing to fork over more cash.

con's
No 3G
No youtube or flash, even the free flash app doesn't work great, has an add watermarked over the video. The skyfire (skyfire.com) web browser offers a better video experience but still nothing like Windows.
No access to Android Market
Cruz market has as many apps as I can count on my hands
Android 2.0 OS with no intention to upgrade
Had to reset it 3 times my first 2 day
No user manual you can find it online, or download the manual to your tablet
Can not get the Kindle app installed for whatever reason. I use Borders however I am writing a reveiw on Amazon so figured Kindle maybe important to some people
It's a weird hook up to your PC. I still have XP and you have to plug in the tablet then on the tablet click a "Mount" button. The PC does not automatically recognize the device.
No accessories yet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buggy with no support, January 3, 2011
J. Bradway "jamie" (Apex, NC United States) - See all my reviews
I have read a review or two that are at least somewhat positive, but I just can't imagine why. If you want an ereader with some extras, save yourself $100 and get an ereader with some extras.

The 'cool' factor dropped off after about 30 minutes when the bugs started overtaking anything positive about the tablet. The capacitive screen is the main problem on my particular device - completely mis-registering any touch on the screen making navigation a random activity. On the occasions when the screen is functioning properly, as it does for short periods for no discernible reason, many of the apps in the official cruz market will not install or run properly on this device. It doesn't seem they had time to test that before rushing it out the door to fill pre-orders.

And there's a dock but no docking station nor any device known to attach to the dock. What? Who? Why would that be?

My Cruz Tablet did not come from Amazon or I would probably be much happier. My retailer has steadfastly refused to acknowledge my complaints or accept a return. Velocity Cruz support is equally farcically named and will not acknowledge claim tickets. Their support pages frequently confuse the Cruz Reader with the Cruz Tablet and offer advice that is unintelligible or completely wrong. I am stuck with a $250 glossy paperweight.

Velocity Micro, you should be ashamed. Unnamed big book box store, you should be embarrassed. You entered into a bad partnership; suck it up and treat your customers right.

One star for good battery life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Tablet with some tweaking, January 3, 2011
After reading less than favorable reviews of the Cruz Tablet, I saw it on sale at BestBuy for $199 so I took a chance. This is the one with 512 mb Ram, not there newer one with only 256 mb. After installing a couple of alternative app markets, LauncherPro, and Xscope browser, this thing is actually smooth, stable, & fast. I cannot complain for the price I paid.

4.0 out of 5 stars good budget tablet, if you take some initiative, October 29, 2011
I own this and can say that with a little above and beyond initiative, you can actually squeeze a lot of performance out of this little tablet. I didn't get this on Amazon, I found it at Sears on clearance for $69, so I am commenting from the perspective of that price. If you root the tablet the Android Market can be easily installed, and if you Google modifying the build.prop file, you can overcome most, but not all, installation limitations. The Starfire browser allows you to play Flash video, and uPNPplayer and RockPlayer, installed as a System App, makes this a really nice streaming media player. Is the the equivalent to a Galaxy Tab or HTC Flyer? Obviously not. In the end you get what you pay for, but a little work makes this little guy far more functional than even Velocity realizes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT buy Cruz Tablet, November 22, 2010
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. I preordered the Cruz Tablet thinking that Android 2.1 would be installed (As Advertised) and it would perform well. The unit comes with Android 2.0 installed. The apps and network connection are extremely slow and froze at times. The recorder application was not installed. Flash does not work--No YouTube or anything else that uses flash. The technician with Velocity Micro technical support was courteous and informative. The technician worked with me looking for solutions. The result was the tablet operating system is NOT going to be updated, they do not know where the recorder app is, flash cannot be installed and Velocity is already working on a replacement for this Tablet (Remember that I just received this direct from the warehouse once they were drop shipped from China). I was told there would be a 15% RESTOCKING FEE. The technician was extremely honest and stated that they released the product before it was ready. I will send it back and take the 15% hit just to get rid of this paper weight! Unfortunately, I will not trust any products from Velocity Micro due to this unfortunate experience.

Velocity Micro T103 Cruz 7-Inch Android 2.0 Tablet (Black)
Used & New from: $53.76