4.0 out of 5 stars A Kindle Color
If you want an Android tablet running the latest version, able to play all the latest apps and flash video, don't buy this tablet. If you want an Android tablet you can root or upgrade, don't bother, you will not be happy. If you want it to be an Ipad, forget about it.

However, if you want a $250 color e-reader that has a stable OS, long battery life, and a...
Published on December 30, 2010 by Julia Hatcher

2.0 out of 5 stars EDITED: Not As Happy Now
EDIT: After having this tablet for over a year now, I'm reducing the star rating from 4 to 2. After buying and reviewing this tablet originally, I bought a Samsung Transform phone, which runs Android 2.2.2. After having a direct comparison, this tablet started showing its flaws. While I still stand by my original comments (which remain unedited below), there are some...
Published on January 3, 2011 by Kalaab M. Pickering

‹ Previous | 1 2 324 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT GET HOODWINKED BY THIS HOAX, March 22, 2011
This review is from: Velocity Micro T301 Cruz 7-Inch Android 2.0 Tablet (Black) (Personal Computers)
I got this for Christmas from Borders. I was excited but' quickly deflated. Not all "free" books would download. My music was cool. It was nice listening to my jams while reading my book. Like having a soundtrack for a movie.That is unitl the one downloaded book that I actually purchased, couldn't be recalled 4 weeks later. Borders promised over 99 free downloadable books. Slim pickings of not very interesting books. The books I did download for free, however became unaccessible at the same time my purchased book did. The book cover icons remained in my library, but the device would try to upload the books and say, "This book cannot be accessed right now, our site is working on this problem."
VIDEO PLAYBACK is a JOKE.
I uploaded a 10second vid from my PC -that had originated from my camera. It only half worked before freezing up the entire device and I'd have to exit the program and re-enter it just to see 3 seconds of the vid.
It's impressive "lookin" but don't believe the hype. After a while, My Velocity Cruz Tablet just completely would not work at all. It couldn't be reset, couldn't be recharged. I took Took it back to borders and got a refund.
Oh and get this, Before I took it back, I called Borders cuz I loved it so much, I was willing to settle for a replacement. I mean it was a gift, I figured I could work through the kinks. The Border's lady said, "All the ones we have are returns and have to go back as defective" -She said she'd call around town and find me one. "She called me back and said "No Borders in our city had them in stock." She was like, I guess we haven't really ordered any new ones. Well I guess Border's wouldn't order any new ones, the Christmas season is over and everyone's got wind that the Velocity Cruz is a piece of expensive JUNK- Border's, who's going outta business unloaded this crap onto the public, and the public unloaded it RIGHT BACK.

Since I've seen them all over Home Shopping Channels at $150...it's trash and they're still trying to sucker people into buying them.
The device is defective. They know it and they'r still trying to unload it on the unsuspecting public. Should be illegal.

I saw on YouTube Wal-Mart is apparently selling them 50% off now. There is a reason it's 50% off. Its a dud. A dummy. Don't get suckered in. My mom bought it from Borders on 12/21, by February I couldn't charge it, couldn't reset it, it was just a blank, black pretty piece of trash.
Prior to conking out, my books DISAPPEARED. It showed their icons but then "errored" and I couldn't read them. My mom paid a total of $466 -That was for the CRUZ, PROTECTIVE SLEEVE, EXTENDED WARRANTY. We got all her $ back about 2 weeks ago.

EDITED TO SAY: Maybe I'm not being fair to Borders. I'm sure they didn't 'unload this device' as I accused them of. I'm sure they thought they were selling a reputalbe device that could rival/compete witht the IPAD/Kindle etc etc...I'm sure they've not ordered any more for stock because they've realized the ones they did sell are being returned for unforseen defects and I'm sure they've made the conscious decision not to burden their customers with this device any longer.
They were very kind to me for the most part when I returned the device. So while I've ragged equally on Borders and the Velocity Cruz, what it boils down to is my whole-hearted disappointment that my new Christmas toy of which I cherished with all it's kinks and flaws ultimately did not work out for ME.
That said, Borders in and of itself is KEWL in my book. The Velocity Cruz however -sucks rocks

1.0 out of 5 stars Cruz Tablet not as described, February 16, 2011
I was sorely disappointed in the Velocity's Micro T301 Cruz Tablet. The video quality is extremely pixelated (ie unwatchable) and owners do not have access to the Android market as described by Amazon. I used it for approximately 10 minutes and knew it was unsuitable for any use. I returned the tablet promptly to Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really happy with this, January 26, 2011
After over a month of use, I'm really happy with this device. I've downloaded the latest kindle 2.0 software, added sudoku and a good notepad app, and use it to check Email when I'm out. I wish it were able to download movies from Netflix for flights, and I wish there were a better app for magazines. As others have said, if you understand it's not an iPad (which I didn't want) then this thing is perfect for reading, surfing, and keeping up with email.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cruz T310-you get what you pay for, January 8, 2011
The Cruz Tablet is okay for the price. It's certainly not an IPad but books load quickly and easily although I have not figured out how to organize them or delete them yet. The page turn is a little jerky and it sometimes changes from vertical page display to horizontal display on its own. It is slow when you are online but for half the price of more expensive tablets, it does as well as you would expect.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cruz Tablet, January 14, 2011
For the price - love it! Not as user friendly as I had hoped. Has a learning curve. Still trying to learn how to download apps. Screen magnification not as easy to use as some other products. However, I added a 16G SD card so now have a tablet with 20G for less than $300. Awesome!

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Tablet but questionable support, February 19, 2011
I reeived my CRUZ T301 on 1 Feb 2011. I was most interested in it as an ereader with some computing capability.

Pros: As an ereader, it is great. I was able to call up all of the books that I had previously purchased and loaded on a Kindle. I was also able to download the Borders Kobo app and access books on their site. Good battery life too.

I found that the browser was functional but not overwhelming. I could sign on to my webmail account and view emails of interest. I never intended this device to replace my laptop for email and other computing options.

Cons: The power supply failed after two days use. I could not tether the T301 to my laptop to download apps directly to the SD card. I followed all of the instructions on the help file for tetherng the T301 to a a PC running Windows Xp professional, SP#, but still no luck. It also ceased to allow me to use a version of the "YouVersion" bible that originally installed and worked fine.

Velocity Micro's support is my greatest concern. I contacted them re the power supply and the tethering problem. Five days later thay responded that I needed to email them a copy of the invoice for my purchase of the device before they could send me a replacement power supply. I emailed them the requested information. I never did receive any satisfaction on the tethering problem. Several days later, I teceived an emil from the support supervisor stating that I needed to return the T301 as well as the power supply before they could replace it. I might have done that but the deadline for returning it to AMazon for refund was rapidly approaching. So I told the support team to forget about it and I returned the whole lot to Amazon for refund.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!, April 6, 2011
Great product! I purchased my cruz after reading all of the negative comments. I wanted a more versatile ereader that could support apps and that I could purchase ebooks from more than one bookstore. The screen is very sensitive which is really a great thing. After learning how to use the touch screen and learning it's sensitivity, I absolutely love it. My mom owns a pandigital ereader and it is very hard to click on things even with the stylus. I also read a negative review about not being able to watch youtube videos but there is a youtube app that allows you to watch youtube videos. The video quality is not computer quality but it is just fine, as I did not purchase mine to watch youtube videos anyway. The cruz is very easy to navigate and the set up is great. If you are wanting a color ereader that has web browsing, document support, and that supports other apps this is an excellent choice for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome tablet.great alternative to ipad, January 22, 2011
I have had this for over 2 weeks and love it.I have put tons of apps on it and very easy to use.Most of the negative reviews i feel are because people haven't read the manuel on the tablet. I am so glad that i didn't have to pay 600 for an ipad. try it it really is a great product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised!, January 2, 2011
This ain't no ipad, but it is one quarter the cost (velocity cruz reader r101). It is, however, open source and you can fetch a bunch of apps from [...] which will make it do all kinds of things. I got this as a gift for Christmas (I was thinking of buying a Archos 5) and wasn't very impressed when I first got it, but with the addition of the apps, it does some amazing things (be aware that not all apps from freewarelovers.com will work but most probably will). You can view streamed video (flash web sites) with the use of the Skyfire browser app, you can get every online radio station on the planet with tunein app. The speakers are a nice addition.

The only disappointment is the fact that there is no mic jack on the reader (there is on the tablet). With the tablet you could probably turn it into a wifi phone (with google voice mobile).

If you don't mind experimenting, I don't think you will regret spending $120 for the reader (Borders).

5.0 out of 5 stars A color Kindle?, February 4, 2011
Lyle (Savage, MN USA) - See all my reviews
I have been using the Velocity Micro T301 Cruz now for about 2 months and I am just amazed! I primarily purchased this for a smaller Kindle reader but wanted a smaller package to carry around with me, This is now my favorite Kindle! for less than $100.00 than the "non-Cellular" Kindle, I now have color, e-mail and Web browsing using WiFi at home or in hotels/coffee shops.
I am very pleased with this product, Lyle

‹ Previous | 1 2 324 | Next ›