5.0 out of 5 stars So tasty...so cheesy.....SO GOOD!
Our family has started to dig into various Cheesy Skillet meals by Velveeta, and this one has become our favorite.

The preparation for this meal couldn't have been any simpler...just follow the instructions on the box and you're good to go. Within 15 minutes, your senses will be on cheese overload.

I've uploaded some pictures into the "Customer...
Published on September 25, 2011 by The Matrix Fan

2.0 out of 5 stars Broccoli Dust?
Wouldn't it be nice if the picture on the box was what you would actually end up with?

Don't be mislead by advertising of Velveeta Chicken and Broccoli Skillet Dinner - what you get is yellow mush with little flakes of broccoli dust.

Published on August 10, 2011 by Nancy

5.0 out of 5 stars So tasty...so cheesy.....SO GOOD!, September 25, 2011

I've uploaded some pictures into the "Customer Images" section - not an easy task, because I wanted to dive right into this meal instead of taking pictures of it!

The cheese was delicious, there were noodles aplenty, and it provided a very hearty meal. I could only finish 2 servings before I was stuffed.

If you serve this with a side dish of vegetables, you'll have yourself one smiling family.

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spanks Hamburger Helper's behind!, August 12, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We don't use 'skillet meals' very often but wanted to try this because it's new.

The only other version of this we had eaten was from Hamburger Helper. The Velveeta product was just this side of homemade tasting, and beats HH hands down. The only odd thing was having to add a packet of cheesy powder to the dish when making it; reminiscent of Kraft Mac N Cheese. I had fully expected all of the cheesy sauce to come from Velveeta cheese.

This dinner was creamy and yes it was salty, but in a good way. I would buy this and keep it handy for the teen to make a quick dinner. Both my son and husband loved it and said they would definitely eat it again.
If I make this again I might add a little finely diced onion and a can of diced tomatoes to make it stretch since my family gobbled this down and didn't leave much for me!

2.0 out of 5 stars Broccoli Dust?, August 10, 2011
This review is from: Kraft Velveeta Chicken and Broccoli Skillets Dinner Kit, 14.64-Ounce (Pack of 6) (Grocery)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

The directions and cook times are easy to follow, just wish that they had been more specific with "reduce heat" - to what? Low, simmer, medium low. When I opened the package to add the dehydrated broccoli flakes, I knew that disaster was imminent. This now made the product look like I had just sprinkled ground black pepper on it. No healthy color to tantalize the brain, so I quickly steamed some "real" broccoli mixed it with the rice and chicken concoction before adding the pouch of cheese. Now, there was some interest.

I was pleasantly surprised that there was not an overabundance of saltiness but the product overall does have the processed chemical taste.

My final judgment is that I do not think that this product will find its way back to my pantry, there was no visual appeal and the taste was marginal at best.

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT Hamburger Helper, but Quite Good Just the Same, August 4, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My box showed up today around noon, which solved the question of "What's for dinner?" I've been looking forward to trying this ever since I heard about it -- I'm a big Hamburger Helper fan (have been ever since I moved out on my own some 20 years ago). I figured this would be Hamburger Helper with real cheese rather than cheese powder.

Preparation is easy; brown the ground beef, drain, add 2 cups of water with the seasonings packet and the macaroni. This is the first place you know this isn't HH; you have to make sure you cook the water (or "most of it" as the instructions say) off before you add the Velveeta. Another difference is that the seasonings smell a little .... strong, and a little unusual, to put it mildly. I wasn't too fond of the odor emanating from the skillet, and at this point I started to hope that I wasn't going to have to make something different for dinner.

This also tastes different from HH. Not bad -- in spite of my initial worry, the Velveeta Cheeseburger Skillets tastes quite good. But it is rather different from HH, and if you're expecting HH you will probably be disappointed. I can't quite put my finger on what the spice is, but there is a definite spice that makes this taste completely different from any cheeseburger macaroni that you've ever had before.

I'm not sure if this will completely replace Hamburger Helper for me; I'll have to wait and see what other varieties they come out with before I make that decision. But I do know that this is a good alternative, and for people who want something different, it will be a good choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Try with Chicken -- It's Delicious!!, August 20, 2012
I have tried the Kraft Velveeta Chicken & Broccoli Cheesy Skillets Dinner Kit 14.64 oz (Pack of 6) and found it to be pretty decent, despite some of the bad reviews. However, I would agree that the pasta wasn't quite my style...like a strange hybrid between rice and pasta, it does sort of create a strange texture for the dish.

So, I decided to try the Tuna Melt instead. Tuna kinda skeezes me out, so I added a 10oz can of chunk chicken breast instead of the 2 cans of tuna that the box calls for. I spiced it up with a bit of black pepper, and it turned out great! Cheesy and tasty, this dish hit the spot, and it was ready in like 15 minutes.

For vegetable snobs, I will go ahead and tell you that the veggies that are included in this pack are minimal. It's a great choice for families with kids who are a bit picky about their veggies, though. Next time, I might add a drained can of peas or some frozen broccoli florets for a bit of added nutrition and flavor, but this dish is perfect without. I'm sure those who like tuna would enjoy it as directed as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Way better than Hamburger Helper, November 8, 2011
I just tried this flavor of Velveeta Cheesy Skilets along with my family last night, and instead of using ground beef, used ground pork, one can hardly tell the difference between the two nowadays. Anyway, I basically prepared according to instruction, but when adding the cheese sauce from the packet I also added some taco seasoned cheese to the mix and allowed it to all melt and come together. The result spoke for itself, my family and I wolfed it right down. For me, it was quite palletable, very creamy, plenty of sauce and just the right amount of pasta. My grandma and dad both had no complaints either.

Needless to say after trying this and two other flavors, I don't think I'll ever go back to Hamburger Helper again. It's a little more expensive than that brand, but the fact that you need less ingredients (no milk) the cost ends up being cheaper in the end, and you can use that milk for something else that requires it. Trust me, if you do it right and spruce things up your way, this will be something worth buying again and again. I look forward to getting myself a couple more boxes of this stuff in the near future. My tip is to definitely add something of your own to the mix and add some more cheese as well. As is I am sure it's still really good, but it's when you add that special something and make it your own, that the results are worthwhile. I give it four very solid stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good, October 14, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Normally, I do not use this type of product, but, thanks to Amazon, I had an opportunity to try it. I kept my mind open as I did not know what to expect, and the picture on the box looked appetizing.

Overall, the flavor was barely OK, but the included broccoli package was a joke, I had to add frozen broccoli to make the whole thing decent. I did not like the type of pasta used in this dish. It was not the usual elbows that mac-and-cheese is most often made with. Visually, the pasta reminded me the diamond shaped moth larvae casing. Larger pasta would have made the texture less mushy.

For chicken I used a day-old rotisserie chicken from Costco. Legs have been eaten the day before, but the breast remained. I skipped the browning step because the chicken was cooked already, added pasta, seasoning and water and proceeded per instructions.

At some point I was instructed to add "broccoli florets". The contents of the broccoli package were only identifiable as broccoli because that's what the package said it was. "Broccoli" was very very dry, brown, flat, and most of it was just dust. Thankfully, I had frozen broccoli that I added and it provided the color, the crunch, and the reasonable amount of the veggie component. The cheese paste's flavor was good. It melted quickly, and, once mixed in, it coated all ingredients well.

The flavor of the final dish was OK, the texture was poor because of the small pasta used that lumped together. In my opinion, my final dish's texture and the flavor were helped tremendously by the addition of the frozen broccoli. Otherwise, I would not eat it. As a side note, the dish did not reheat well in the microwave the next day. It solidified in the fridge and reheating it in the microwave caused hot and cold spots and the cheese did not melt.

Other than the seemingly low price, I am not sure what the appeal of this kit is. You have to buy your own chicken, and, potentially, broccoli, so all you are getting as a "bundle" is pasta, seasoning, and cheese paste. I think you can get the same quantities of these products for the same or lower price, plus you will be able to choose your own kind pasta, and will end up with a better tasting dish with a nicer texture.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty, and easy to add to, August 4, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
To get it out of the way, let me mention the obvious downside. At a minimum of 350 calories for one cup - and you will eat more than one cup - it's better to treat it as a very occasional treat than a mainstay. It's beef, velveeta and starch; and it's slightly higher in calories than some equivalent products. But if you're dieting, you're already avoiding meals like this one.

As an occasional treat, though, it's nice. It's simple to prepare, and it went flawlessly. It cooks in one pan, is tolerant of varying heat (I cooked it over a woodgas stove), and doesn't take long. The taste is a little on the bland side as is, but adding spices and other additions is easy. It's creamy and rich. I added some tomato and some minced, dried onion, and spiced with a splash of hot sauce and lemon pepper. It doesn't need salt. It was good. And if you actually measure out a cup of the stuff and sit it next to a decent quantity of vegetables, it's not as much of a dietary train-wreck as you'd think, and you aren't hungry again soon afterwards.

I think packaging could be improved; the packaging isn't very suitable for burning or recycling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, July 10, 2011
Donna M Bettro "dobedo" (South Hadley, Ma United States) - See all my reviews
Made this for dinner this evening and I loved it! Was quite surprised since I don't usually like these type of meals. But I really liked the combo of the cheese and bbq sauce. I also topped it off with the french fried onions.......Yum! I haven't tried the other flavors but will def make this again.

1.0 out of 5 stars The dogs loved it, me not so much, October 9, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This dinner kit was not at all what I was expecting, was poor in quality, and overly complicated with four separate packages to mix together. It does, however only take 20 minutes to make, but at the end of it, I found it inedible. I had somewhat realistic expectations that you weren't going to get broccoli out of a box so had some fresh broccoli on hand. I'm glad I did, because the separate broccoli packet that came with this dinner kit was essentially smashed broccoli dust. There's a separate packet for seasoning and for pasta as well, but you add them at the same time. I couldn't help but wonder why the pasta and seasoning wouldn't be in one packet, but I guess they felt it necessary and more costly. The pasta was also not what I was expecting. For some reason I was thinking it would be a substantial pasta, but it was actually orzo that ended up looking and tasting more like rice than pasta. The last packet was the velveeta cheese packet which looked rich and creamy, but when combined with all the other ingredients, ended up resulting in a slightly sweet chemical taste. I took a couple of bites and really didn't like it all. My dogs were not so discerning, but for a family meal, it tastes overprocessed and isn't better than plain macaroni and cheese.

If you're going to go through the trouble of making chicken and broccoli with cheese, you could probably add real chicken and broccoli to standard mac and cheese and do much better than this.

ARRAY(0xa3e5e120)

$29.00
In stock. Usually ships within 4 to 5 days.