V for Vendetta: Music From The Motion Picture
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$15.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

This is a good overview compilation if you're not that interested in the final tracks from the film, which are missing from this CD either for copyright purposes or whatever. This CD contains about 75% of the score and the major songs played during the film. This disc is great, my low score is due to the fact that, even if say "Street Fighting Man" by The Rolling Stones was kept off and the other three featured, I would have been 10x happier. So I basically made my own V soundtrack. For those of you wondering what tracks are missing they are:

The 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky (sp??) which *SPOILER* plays during V's blowing up of Parliament and the Old Bailey.

Ethan Stoller's "BKAB" which plays right after Street Fighting Man during the credits. You can find the song on his official site or MySpace.

Spiritualized's "Out of Sight" plays immediately after BKAB in the credits, this one can be found on their "Let It Come Down" CD

and THE ULTIMATE MISSING TRACK:

The Rolling Stones "Street Fighting Man"

Get those 4 missing songs and this CD and you just might have yourself The Complete V for Vendetta Soundtrack. I hope this helps you out.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 18, 2006
Actually, the 1812 overture part from the movie, the exact part IS in the last track of this soundtrack labeled Guns and Knives and Cannons too. It plays at the very end of it! So if you are worried about not hearing the 1812 overture, it is there!
on April 13, 2006
I was very interested in the movie V For Vendetta so as a result and being a fan of movie scores I said to myself: "I'll pick up the V for Vendetta score.."

So I pick it up, and what a surprize it was. This score is magnificent. It opens up fast, and ends fast. I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to describing scores but let me just say, this is a keeper. It's catchy, and fast. It's an amazing score and works stand-alone from the movie. You'll find yourself listening to it a lot.

Also..what's sad is that the "Spotlight Review" isn't even correct. First: The 1812 Overture IS on the soundtrack. Second: It's not surprizing that the songs in the end credits aren't on it, I wouldn't expect them to be. Besides, if you don't have the Rolling Stones song just by the CD it's on..Chances are you'll like it.

Overall: This score was a surprize to me and I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is. I would suggest everyone who enjoys movie scores check out Dario Marianelli's score for V For Vendetta.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 10, 2006
I bought this two days after seeing the movie due to the fact that more than a few of the songs from Dario Martinelli were stuck in my head.

The first day, alas, was dissapointment. I got through the first five tracks and besides Julie London's beautifully sang "Cry Me A River" I wasn't impressed. But I decided to stick through it. Second day, I listened to tracks 5-10 and abruptly there was a lot more for me to be happy about. All these tracks start rather slowly, and I think originally that's what put me off. But if you wait a minute, or just enjoy it where it is, suddenly you'll feel a lot better about what you're listening to. The theme in "V" is rather catchy. It's dark but fast-paced, and I think that's what I appreciated about it.

Remember, Remember: Eh. Not exactly the best start. The crack of the drums is nice, but altogether it's a little too slow in the beginning to give attention. Give or take a minute and it get's more interesting, with the theme underlying all the strings and whatnot.

Cry Me A River: Beautiful. I love this song and Julie London has a voice reminicent of Billy Holiday. Soulful and something we can all relate to, this is a great track to cool down to.

"...Governments Should Be Afraid of Their People.": Not bad. The main theme sticks out in this one, and we get a look at the dark mood that prevails throughout the entire soundtrack and movie. Once again, if you're patient, the brilliance pops through.

Evey's Story: Not one of my favorites. The switch between the fast-paced violence of Evey's parents being black-bagged and the quiet memory in the beginning is a little too abrupt for me to really get into and adjust. I don't find myself liking the blaring of the French horns in this one, though in others it's fine.

The Red Diary: Curious. It has a lot of optimism in the beginning, but gradually you see the despair in it. Altogether: A nice track. Not the best but not the worst, either.

Lust at the Abbey: I particularly like this one, actually. The choir in the beginning is an interesting, macabre touch. As the tension rises the choir rises as well, and it's good to make the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

Valerie: My absolute favorite. The beginning--eh, but two minutes in an entirely brilliant cello solo starts up, followed shortly thereafter by the strings, and the song suddenly becomes very interesting. The switch then to Valerie's story is a classy touch as well, and the piano gives it a melancholy feel.

Evey Reborn: See above. The main points classify. Two minutes in, the song begins to expand itself and though the music mainly consists of whole notes, it really gives the impression of being "reborn". Great track.

I Found A Reason: Like "Cry Me a River" this is a very intimate and well sung track. The singer has a very interesting voice, not like anything I've ever heard before, and it made for a curious track.

England Prevails: The drum rolls and march-like tempo makes the atmosphere come across as totaltarian and desperate...which it is. Once again, like many of the tracks in "Vendetta" this takes patience. Give it a day of listening and you'll enjoy it.

The Dominoes Fall: Another favorite. This is a song that you can tell is right before the climax of the movie, when everything begins to fall into place, and it just...fits.

Bird Gurhl: I didn't really like this one. The singing was a little too unusual for me to get into and the melody wasn't something I could get into.

Knives and Bullets (And Cannons Too): An excellent finale. The battle-scene's theme is quick and brutal, something that you can keep up with. And the resolution afterwards? Great as well. Ending with Trakolsky's (ugh, totally spelled that wrong) 1812 Overture is a fun yet at the same time sad twist. Through V's death we see his rather eccentric personality and love for music.

Altogether: Don't poo-poo this soundtrack just because it doesn't have all the songs in there. Even without them it is an amazing listen. Give it a day or two and graudally it'll grow on you. Beautiful all around.
on March 25, 2006
I have no words for this soundtrack. More importantly, the praise goes to Dario. He has done two amazing soundtracks in the last year now that I think should get high amounts of praise.

Just last year, he completed the score for Pride and Prejudice. I think the movie was so/so but the soundtrack was beautiful.

But with V for Vendetta, I did not know he could get this dark! I think just by listening to this you can just invision parts of the movie. If you have not seen the movie, you can feel by the music how the character is feeling. The power of the tyranical goverment, the letter by Valerie, and most importantly, the climatic finish ending with "1812" Overture.

The two songs that I want to point out, "Cry Me a River" and "I Found a Reason" are played on V's jukebox at the begining and the end of the movie. They are so beautiful, one of the reasons I also bought the soundtrack. I am a fan of slow jazz music from the 40's, so hearing Cry Me a River being played... Wow.

If you are a fan of Dario Marianelli (Pride and Prejudice) and if you liked V for Vendetta (or if you didn't) the music is still amazing. Get it.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I just finished watching this movie and i got shivers when i heard Cat Power's "I Found a Reason" coming out of V's jukebox...i found it really touching and appropriate that someone found Cat Power's profoundly emotional music suited to a movie containing such timeless human themes as are presented in this one...

If nothing else, this soundtrack is infinitely valuable simply for containing a Cat Power song...to further experience the brilliance that is Marshall Chan, please refer to the Cat Power records "You Are Free", "What Would the Community Think" and "Moon Pix"

I have not officially listening to this soundtrack but have heard those tracks featured in the film and found them to be quite suited to the overall revolutionary and emotional theme/feel of the movie.
on June 17, 2009
I love this movie. What is it about a man in a mask and cape that really turns me on? And the fact that the mask is frozen and yet the actor still manages to convey extreme emotions...incredible!

So of course I had to buy the soundtrack, and it is wonderful, very evocative of the movie. My favorite pieces are Valerie and Evey Reborn, followed by The Dominoes Fall (also favorite scenes of mine from the movie). There is only one track I consistently skip, and that is Bird Gurhl by Anthony and the Johnsons. Just hate the quavering vocal!
on March 8, 2007
I've never heard nore bought a soundtrack by Dario before. It was after I saw this movie that I snapped this soundtrack up at once. Like some of the other gere greats the past few years, this comic-book inspired movie has a similar main theme which represents "V" and his will to fight the system. Nat Portman's character has a softer similar sounding theme which is very soft & touching. If anything is better than that...on the last track is the select capture from Tch. 1812 Overture that caps the actual film. GREAT SOUNDTRACK!!!
on November 14, 2011
I have to agree with some of the other reviewers that this soundtrack "should" have included the Stones song, but no big deal.
I DO think I've found another great soundtrack composer (in Dario Marianelli), much along the lines of Jerry Goldsmith, David Arnold, Hans Zimmer, James Horner, and Carlo Siliotto.
It's a wonderfully moody score, and sets the tone brilliantly for this film noire.
Plus, I've always liked hearing the 1812 overture (Tchaikovsky).

Many times, the background music is so subtle, you're not even aware of it, UNTIL you get the soundtrack.
Much can be said for this movie.
Other times, the music if right UP FRONT (where it belongs), especially during scenes of extreme conflict.
The composer has matched the scenes with the music VERY well.
Often, we see contrasts between the music and the actors...in THIS case, it's mroe complimentray than anything else.
And it all works out nicely.
It's a joy to listen to, and worth adding to one's colelction of movie soundtrack scores.

Dario Prevails!
on October 23, 2008
While the message in V for Vendetta clearly and eloquently hit home for me, the thing that caught my eye, or ear rather, was the soundtrack. The music clearly dictates the mood and yet still remains something to be heard alone. The pieces envelope you, taking you back to a specific scene in the movie, but also inspire you to look past the movie and see beyond to the message. Without this wonderful score and soundtrack, V for Vendetta would not have had such a huge impact has it did.