on October 15, 2010
I find it hard to believe this is "Chiropractor recommended" as claimed, but I'm sure it's comfortable for some. Unfortunately for me, it pushes my head forward, putting my neck into a completely non-neutral position. As other reviews have stated there is no back-forward adjustment either so I think this will either work for you, or be pretty uncomfortable. I found it gave me bad neck pain within 20 mins or so.

For $70 (for a headrest!) I expected excellent build quality but that's not the case. It's not terrible either, but is somewhat at odds with the chair it's designed to accompany.

The headrest arrived assembled incorrectly (the headrest was mounted to the bracket assembly facing the wrong way), dirty and in dirty, dusty bubblewrap. Nothing major, it wiped clean, but again for a $70 headrest this is not what I expect.

I'm seldom moved to write negative reviews, and would'nt have bothered, except when I went to see if I could return the item, I read this:

"This is not Costco. If you are old enough to have a credit card and shop online you should be old enough to shop responsibly"

I'm sure I'm not the only person that finds that irritating and patronizing... Personally, a simple "I'm sorry, we do not accept refunds except in the case of damaged/faulty items" would have been far better.

Anyway, in conclusion if you have an Aeron and feel the need for a headrest, I would sell your current chair and get a model with one factory fitted. I'm sure some people find this comfortable, as the positive reviews shows, but for $70 with a no-return policy I don't think it's worth it.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 17, 2010
I was very disappointed in this product. First, the "head" rest sits between my shoulder blades and there is no way to lock it in it's upper-most position - it keeps falling back down. Secondly, the clamp to attach it to the chair is not quite right and if you put too much pressure on the head rest (like when stretching)it pops off and falls to the floor - which is where I left it until I take the trash out next week.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 14, 2012
This headrest has less adjustability and doesn't match the overall look of the Aeron Chair. It might be priced cheaper than the "other," pricier headrest here on Amazon but there is a good reason for that - it just doesn't do the job.

One of the best features of the Aeron Chair is its ability to be customized to fit the end user. With the other ($150) headrest also from Vendor Gear the headrest is no exception. One can move the headrest over a greater range (in all directions) of forward and backward to meet one's head or neck and also move the headrest up and down. This headrest is vastly inferior in every way.

You get what you pay for. The only time this cheaper unit is of any benefit is if one is fully reclined and leaning the head fully back.

I ended up with the other headrest and it is worth every penny. Not only does it fit me perfectly but my wife can adjust it for her comfort as well. And it looks like it was original equipment on the Aeron Chair and NOT an afterthought from another company that was slapped on an Aeron Chair.

By all means, if you want a headrest spend the extra money and get one that works.
on February 2, 2013
The good: when you finally get it to work, it's comfortable... until it breaks (3 days)

First off, the mount is made of a cheap composite (but we'll get back to that). The bars that let you adjust the height of the headrest are loose, no way of tightening. So, I had to use some locktite to have it grab a little so it would work.

I leaned back in my chair to look at one of my monitors... and the mount clips snapped! The cheap composite broke right off, giving me whiplash! Now my neck is in pain, and my freakin' $900 chair has scratches all over the top where it gouged out! f'm super P**sed off!!!

Don't go for the cheaper headrest like I did... get the good one and save your neck AND your $900 chair!

THIS THING SUCKS!!!
on December 26, 2010
I LOVE this headrest!

It fits perfectly on my Aeron & both looks and feels great. The Headrest was shipped fast and arrived in perfect shape. Went straight from the box onto my chair, and was super-easy to attach.

When I lean back in my chair it is true perfection - the headrest fits exactly under the small/back of my neck. I love how the headrest moves when I move around in the chair, it seems like it finds the perfect adjustment according to the way I sit.

I admit I was a little concerned at first when I read some of the reviews, but I'm so glad I went ahead & ordered the headrest. I already thought the chair was the best office chair I've ever had, and the headrest makes it just perfect.

I especially didn't get the guy who said it fell off his chair - I see no possible way for that to happen... I wonder if he has the right chair?
He also wrote the headrest came to sit between his shoulder blades. The back of my Aeron chair is exactly at the height of my shoulders. These chairs come in 3 sizes - He must be sitting on the wrong chair size or the wrong chair all together. I can't see how that is related to the headrest.
on September 20, 2011
Great product, I have two and love them.

Thanks for watching:

On youtube, you can find my video review here: /watch?v=_4Jr-e2eI54

Thanks,
Fabian.
on September 8, 2010
This headrest is extremely easy to install and very comfortable. The only drawback is that it does not have an "in and out" adjustment only an "up and down." It is black and matches the frame and armrests for my purple colored Aeron. It looks great and serves my purposes very well.
on June 16, 2010
Easy to install. Built well. Looks good.It could be more adjustable(moves up and down but not forward and back), but that is looking for things to criticize.
It is the perfect touch to my Aeron. Would definitely recommend to anyone who owns this chair.
on January 18, 2011
After years of fruitless searching, I finally came across this headrest, which will fit on my Aeron chair! Oh, JOY! Now I can finally slouch like my slothful nature demands! Seriously though, I find that this headrest installed extremely easy...even someone with no mechanical aptitude at all would have no trouble installing this headrest quickly and securely. Also, I find that it looks nice on the chair...the aesthetic design fits with the swoopy curves of the Aeron and the whole package looks like an integrated design. I only wish that the fabric more closely matched the color and texture of the arm rests, but that is a small complaint.

As for function, there is only one adjustment: vertical. The headrest can be moved up and down by about 2 inches to accommodate taller or shorter people. Unfortunately, the adjustment depends on friction and does not stay in its adjusted position for more than about 10 seconds. I am constantly pulling it back up and this is aggravating. Fortunately, I am a professional design engineer and can easily find some 6mm, 2 piece clamp collars to install on the rods to lock this headrest into place. I recommend that anyone who buys this do the same. The clamp collars must be 6mm, not 1/4", which make them a bit harder to find in the U.S.

The last complaint is the lack of 'in-and-out' adjustment. It would fit me better and be a lot more comfortable if it could be moved in about 1", but there is no provision for that at all. My only option is to add another pad to the headrest, which would make it look extremely stupid. So my delimma is: comfort, or fashion?

In conclusion: I give this headrest 4 stars out of 5, mainly out of desperate relief that finally (FINALLY!) there is a headrest available for my cherished Aeron chair. It also looks nice, and is extremely simple and easy to install, and appears to be securely mounted. However, it has two substantial shortcomings: lack of depth adjustability and a poorly designed vertical adjustment which constantly slips. The second is fixable with a couple of cheap clamp collars (why did the manufacturer not include these???), the first you will just have to live with.
on September 5, 2011
I purchased 2 headrests several weeks ago (mesh and PU leather). The shipping, packing, and follow up were all 5 star.

Appearance: The headrests look FANTASTIC on the chairs, very attractive. The mesh and the PU leather have a nice finish look to them that goes well with the chairs. It's complimentary and looks like they belong. Much better than the photos.
Function: Up/down, tilt forward/backward. It's designed to move with your movements. Personally I've found I don't want it to move at all. I really only want it in one position, all the way up and tilted forward. I'll probably tighten the headrest a little more so it stays tilted forward. As far as the up/down there is no mechanism I see to prevent that movement, so I may get creative. The chair is for me, so I'm not concerned about others needing to adjust it.

A couple things I noticed in other reviews that initially concerned me that I thought I would address here to clarify/help someone:
-Headrest falling off.
The clamp needs to be tightened substantially. You have the ability to put a high amount of force/leverage on the headrest. Tighten appropriately, more than finger tight.
-Headrest too low.
I am 6-0 and have a 'B' chair (according to the sizing chart I should use a 'B' or 'C'). I position the headrest is at my upper neck/lower head. Very comfy/supportive and prevents your head from tilting down when a headrest is too high.
-Build quality.
The frame/backing is very durable, attractive, and appropriate. But I can see how someone might want real leather or a very luxurious fabric. The headrest can be recovered if that's the case. A bright orange or cobalt blue sure could spiff up an office!

I don't have any complaints at this point, but like many things, it's personal preference that makes it or breaks it for you. If you want/need a headrest, this is it. I would buy again.

If Herman Miller made these, they would cost $150.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

See 1 answered question