Vengeance Trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance / Oldboy / Lady Vengeance) [Blu-ray]
Item Under Review
While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)
We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
The Process of Mr. Vengeance
My Boksu Story
Jonathan Ross on Park Chan-wook
Soundtrack & Photos
Top Customer Reviews
Let's start off with the elephant in the room: Oldboy. It's definitely the most popular and acclaimed film in the collection and, unfortunately, has the most maligned high-def presentation. Mainly, there are complaints that the picture quality is mediocre and that it's missing the 7.1 lossless audio from the original Blu-ray.
1. The picture quality is true to the source and to the director's own intentions. Park discusses the look of the film on the features; a different chemical process was used and the bleached color, hazy photography, heavy grain, etc was all part of how he wanted his film to look. In this regard, I can't imagine the film looking that much better in high definition (although I'd loved to be proved wrong someday). It will always be an "ugly" film and will never look perfect.
2. The audio itself is more problematic as this was an error on Tartan's part. Still, boycotting the set and/or waiting for a future re-release from Tartan will likely be a fruitless endeavor. There's an easy solution that requires minimal effort. Here's the situation: at the time of this writing they will, with proof of purchase, supply you with a FREE copy of the original Blu-ray AND two free DVDs of your choice from their library. This is a great deal. After talking to them, I got the replacement Blu-ray and the two DVDs in a matter of days.Read more ›
As far as the picture quality goes, this is as good as the films are going to look. Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance looks incredible, and much better than it did on dvd. Lady Vengeance looks great too, and is the best looking of the three by far. The colors are vibrant and you can notice every tiny detail in things from the characters' outfits to the tears rolling down the cheeks of children in a certain hard to watch scene. Oldboy however, doesn't look much different from the original dvd release, and there's a reason why. On the special features, they talk about how Park wanted the same colors and tones as the movie Seven. So they used a bleach bypass process on the actual film to get the desired look, sacrificing crystal clear picture quality as a result. So because of this, I can't exactly knock on the picture quality since this is how everything's -supposed- to look. Think back to a movie like 28 Days Later where the grain and grittiness helps the movie- would you want to see it looking as sharp and clear as something like, say the recent Alice in Wonderland? Oldboy doesn't look horrible by any means, but it's easily the ugly one of the three. Still, it looks good, and it's not the transfer's fault.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Fantastic and the bts is really insightful. I didn't think Park's movies could look any better, but they do in blu-ray.Published 6 months ago by Andrew Heitzman
I am so happy to get this but still need photo book and it's not look like the old 1 .. It's just 3 disc blu ray only ! I still wants photo book and some bonus disc.Published 14 months ago by Htet Myet Htut
Finally got it, three awesome movies from one director
Box a little bent up, but bluray movie boxes were pristine
If you love any of these three movies purchase this set now. Not only do you get all three of these beautiful films at the best quality you can find them but also tons of special... Read morePublished 20 months ago by Nick O'Lear
First, the gripes: Although the outer, cardboard box on the BluRay trilogy was shrink wrap sealed, the individual disks contained therein were not nor did they have the tamper... Read morePublished on January 6, 2014 by East Coast Crew
Great films, but there was no 32 page booklet, and both Oldboy and Lady Vengeance refuse to play anything but the title menu. Read morePublished on January 5, 2014 by Sital
I quickly ordered this trilogy set when the prices went down for new copies. It seems like the prices are staying down for now. Read morePublished on October 26, 2013 by parkym
|Topic||From this Discussion|
Its 50/50 chance it will come with a tin collector metal case or cardboard box.
Nov 29, 2010 by iNCREDiPiNOY | See all 2 posts
That would be sacrilege to listen to these fine films dubbed. Let's pretend this question wasn't posed here and we'll leave it at that.
Jun 22, 2010 by J. Ayala | See all 8 posts
|Has the HD Audio been fixed yet?||Be the first to reply|
|Lots of issues with this release, buyers beware.||Be the first to reply|
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Art House & International > By Country > Korea
- Movies & TV > Art House & International > By Original Language > Korean
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray > Movies
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Foreign Films
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Horror
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Indie & Art House
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy