on February 8, 2006
At low speed you won't even know it's on and it's still quiet at med. and high speed too. We normally run it on medium or high speed when the weather is 35 or colder here in New England and turn it down to low if the temperature outside goes up or it's raining out. Doing this keeps the humidity in the house a pretty constant 40-45 per cent. We have a Colonial house and keep the upstairs bedrooms closed so the unit is just taking care of aboout 1100 ft. downstairs. I fill it in the morning and just before bedtime. They only hold a few gallons of water, but what a difference they make. We have had hardly any colds since we bought ours a couple of years ago, and we're not constantly having to put on lip balm or hand lotions like we used to. Your skin will thank you for it. But wait...there's more...hehe...Wait til you empty and clean it like I do every 2 weeks. The water you dump in the sink...unbelieveable what this unit takes out of the air. Remember, it's an air purifier too. It's amazing to see the junk that's in the dirty water. Stuff you would normally be breathing in.

It's light weight and small enough to be unobtrusive. I had a problem with mine the second year...called the company and within 3 days had a replacement part that was a snap to install, free of charge of course. Fantastic 10 year warranty.

Proof of how much we love this unit...the day it broke was a Sunday and dry as a bone...temp in the teens. Within an hour I was home from Bed and Bath with a new unit. Didn't even want to go 3 days without one running. Now we run them both on low speed most of the winter.

Check out their website...commercial buildings all over Europe use them as well as musicians with expensive wooden instruments to protect. Little known product just introduced to the US a couple of years ago. Highly recommended.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
My family owns two Venta Airwashers: this one and the Venta #5014436 LW14 Grey Airwasher. I am writing this after having used them for about two years. We live in a dry apartment, and we are also musicians with wood instruments, so it is important for us to keep our apartment well humidified. We are also sensitive to sound, so we need to make sure that whatever machines we purchase work quietly.

Before we purchased these, we measured our apartment to make sure we were purchasing the appropriate models for the space we live in. I think this is crucial, as you cannot expect a model that is too small to properly humidify a space that is too large, and vice-versa. This seems obvious, but I think a lot of people overlook this and purchase the wrong model.

I think people are missing the point when they complain about the level of humidity and whether it reaches an optimum level or not. Ventas humidify and purify at the same time, and once a room has a certain level of moisture, it will essentially stay that way if you leave it set to a certain level. It's not like it ill keep ramping up the moisture until you are living in a rainforest. It can only humidify so much, unless you use the largest model in a closet-sized space.

Regarding the noise issue with the fan, I found that when it starts making that subtle clicking noise that some reviewers mention, it is because the fan mechanism has lost lubrication. A few drops of light oil (such as lemon oil) clears up the noise immediately.

As long as you follow their directions--and we all know how much Germans love accuracy and directions--these will last a long time and provide and work excellently.

The reason I am giving this four stars is because I am convinced that they could have designed these with less hard-to-clean crevices. There are many hard-to-clean spots, and a few spaces that are almost impossible to clean. Granted, you won't see them as they are deep inside, but I like to know that I can clean every bit of gunk that I see. You really need to thoroughly clean the Venta every month or so, which should only take a few minutes, but there are an awful lot of crevices.

Another tip: the way to clean the rotating disc assembly inside the Venta is to use a soft brush, and scrub in-between the discs, and it can also be washed in the top rack of a dishwasher. They offer a special substance that also cleans gunk from inside and off the bottom half of the Venta, but vinegar works just as well.

Also, as mentioned by others, you need to use their additive in order to allow the water to sheet off the rotating plastic disc assembly. Some folks mention using a few drops of dish washing soap instead, but I haven't tried that yet. When you consider that other models by other companies require you to purchase filters and the like, I think buying a few bottles of this additive is not so bad. Each bottle lasts ca. 3-4 months.

Now the crucial information: does it really clean the air and humidify well? Although we have not tested our air with any gauges to see if there is a marked difference, I can assuredly say that the air in our apartment is cleaner and definitely moister. The air even seems to smell cleaner. Our wooden floors creak when we don't run the Ventas, and after a day of running them, they are silent. The truth is in the water: when we clean the Ventas and replace the additive every two weeks, the water is definitely filthy. The Ventas must be doing something right.

All in all, we have no regrets. These are simple, yet well-built humidifiers, albeit a little pricey. They are a little difficult to clean, but if you are even somewhat attentive and can follow directions, they should serve you well.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 21, 2006
We have two of these units. They work well and humidify efficiently and quietly. I find them easier to clean than other humidifiers and like the fact that I don't have to buy filters that cost $20-$40 depending on the brand. I gave it three stars, because the fan mechanism seems to be poorly made. In both units the fan was defective and had to be replaced. The first did not engage the discs, while the second made a rattling noise. Venta sent me replacement parts without questions, however that should not happen at that price level.
on February 8, 2006
True to form, the European reviewer praises the Venta's holistic simplicity, while an American criticizes the cost!

I have some criticisms of my own. First, the simplicity of design means no control over humidity level. If the water feels like evaporating, it does! The manufacturer claims a typical range of 40%-55% humidity, but for me it never even reached 40%. Like the American that I am, I returned it to the store for a less "elegant" model that just boils the water, and keeps doing so until you get to the level you want.

I also don't understand why a simple window to indicate water level is not included, and agree that -- however sturdy the case is -- it really, truly is just two pieces of plastic. This thing should cost fifty bucks, tops.

But I also agree with the German commentator about the effectiveness of the unit in cleaning the air. The room just smelled clean -- much more so than with the Ionic Breeze ripoffs, or even some smaller filter-based units I have used. It generates only a very soft hum, it definitely is well-constructed, and the "natural" approach of simple, cold evaporation has appeal. I just wish it worked as well as the alternatives at doing its primary job, or had a price advantage.
on March 12, 2006
It's of course bogus to point out the German social system as reason for the price. A free market is characterized by supply and demand setting the price. I asssume there is a free market in the U.S.?. What you effectively pay for in this humdifier is the idea and patent, not the material. It's the same why an Armani suite costs 2000$ and why Microsoft Office costs more than the CD it is burned on.

I have this humidifier now for a year. I am an allergy sufferer and dry air makes it worse. I live in CA. Thye humidifier extends on the principle of what my Mom always recommended: Put a bowl with water in your room. Since it does not heat the air you don't have problems with overheated air that then condenses on windows etc. The dryer the air the more it will pick up the humidity. It's kind of self regulating.

It does the job for me. I measure it and I get usually a jump from 45% to 55% of humidity in my room. I personally think cleaning is very easy. You have to use their cleaner, I do it every 8 weeks or so. It's true there will be mineral deposits on the air cleaner. I wipe them away every 2.5 months. It's not a problem as you can dissassemble this thing completely.

I think this is the best humdifier out there. It avoids all the problems of heated humdifiers and it's self regulation is ingenious. I don't believe it does a good job of cleaning the air however. That's why I have Friedrich B as well. BTW speaking of which it costs 500$ and is a set of metal plates with a fan made in the U.S.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 28, 2006
I purchased the smallest version, the LW 14, for the purpose of cleaning the air in a small kitchen without windows.

Air ionizers didn't rid the air of the frying smells, but this appliance works.

The initial price is high, but not the cost to keep the Venta running. Water is cheap. Power consumption on highest setting is about 35 Watt. For whisper-quiet use in a bedroom a lower setting is better. Any air-con would be much louder anyways and drown out the Venta on the highest setting.

The motor used to power the machine is indeed very silent, and possible can't be manufactured for 30$. The other components are ruggedly constructed and hopefully last many years.

The device can also be used for aromatherapy, which I'm just testing with some natural Mint oil against my cold.
on February 1, 2010
We've owned this unit for eight years. It has functioned flawlessly. It's quiet and efficient. We live in the mountains of southwest Colorado where winter humidity can easily drop below 20%. This little unit keeps our large bedroom right about 50% according to our hygrometer.

We do not use the company's additive. Just water from our well (which has a fairly high calcium content and a high pH balance). The calcium eventually builds up. We clean it by running white vinegar through it. It's simple. Tap water varies, so perhaps the different results people get are caused by the differences in the viscosity of their water.

The design is so elegant, there's not much that can go wrong. Others here have suggested that it must be periodically cleaned in order to operate quietly. I would guess that's correct since that's what we do.

This has been a pretty dry winter, so we're considering buying a second unit so we can humidify more of the house. We would definitely recommend this product.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 17, 2009
Pros: Great looking, simple operation, easy to disassemble. Quiet when optimally cleaned. Customer service is friendly & helpful. One of two significant complaints that I see others have made is that it does not seem to moisturize the air. Well I can testify that it makes water disappear at a rate of 2 gallons per day; it's not leaking onto the floor so it must be evaporating. It helps with dry skin, breathing, sinuses, etc.

Cons: After 10 days, mine began to make a methodic clicking noise every 2 seconds. You won't notice it during the day, but when trying to fall asleep, it can be irritating. The clicking is caused by residue buildup on the gear mechanism. So be prepared to remove the mechanism & clean it at least every 10 days. For $300, the gear mechanism should be better designed. It is too tightly packed & has ZERO tolerance for any residue.

NOTE: The manual is vague about how to clean the gear. After removing it, you have to scrub the 2 teeth protruding from the mechanism with hot water & a brush. Spin the rubber grommet with your fingers to get each tooth to fully protrude. Always have the teeth pointing downward when cleaning so that debris does not fall into the mechanism.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 16, 2007
I have had this humidifier for going on three years. I agree it is expensive but considering I was buying a new humidifier 1-2 time a year it has more then been worth it.
My main problem with other humidifiers was the cleaning. If you forget to clean it you will never get the mold out of it. I am just one of those people who forget things and with this humidifier that works fine since it only needs to be cleaned every 2 - 2.5 months.
The humidifier works well enough so my family's noses and throats from drying out. If you are looking for a sick room humidifier that turns your bedroom into the subtropics then this is not for you but if you wanr something that is low maintenance and works as a humidifier and freshens the room, then this is for you.
I do recommend using the additive it keeps the water fresher and makes cleaning necessary less frequently. You fill the bottom up and pour in the additive. For the next two weeks you just top off the container. At the end of two weeks you empty it and rinse it out and start again. Once a year (before I store it for the summer) I clean it really well. Thats it. No other humidifier can claim that.
on November 17, 2006
A very simple design that works humidifying a room but I am not so sure about the air cleaning properties. The special soapy mixture you use seems to collect an amount of dirt when it's time to replace the liquid but what does that mean? Replacing the fluid and cleaning the unit is more work then throwing out a filter but that's not a real problem.

The unit is not bedroom quiet, at least for me. I eventually banished it to another room until I gave the unit away to someone with a two floor house. They are are very happy with it as it helps keep their musical instruments from drying out in winter. The aromatherapy option is very nice and works well.

The price prevents me from recommending it. I have some $50 ultrasonic humidifiers that work just as well.