Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 7, 2013
Color: GreyVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is an GREAT, quality humidifier (not so much as an air purifier). If you are looking for a great AIR PURIFIER, I highly recommend the IQAir New Edition HealthPro Plus Air Purifier, which is pricey but worth it).

I purchased my first Venta Airwasher LW25 almost 10 years ago. I currently own 5 Ventas ... both the LW25 and LW45 ... in white and gray. I did extensive research on various allergy/asthma websites before ultimately deciding to purchase the Venta. Yes, it is expensive ... but well worth it for humidifying the air. In all these years, I have not found another product that even comes close to the Venta (for humidifying the air). There is absolutely no white dust on anything when using this unit. I purchased it to humidify the bedrooms and living room during the cold winters (when the heat is running almost non-stop), not as an air purifier. There is a noticeable/drastic improvement in the air humidity when it is running versus not running. My family sleeps so much better with the Venta and IQAir HealthPro Plus running ... no nose bleeds, no coughing.

Since I purchased my Venta as a humidifier (not a purifier), I don't use it in the summer (when the humidity is naturally high) and only use the IQAir HealthPro Plus. The Venta should not be used in areas/times where the humidity is high because it will over humidify the room. (There is no humidity control/monitor on the unit.) For this reason, during the summer, I put my Ventas away and only use air purifiers to clean the air in my bedrooms. The Venta works best when you can close the room off (i.e., shutting the door to the room); however, it still works in big open rooms (i.e., living room) ... just not as good. It has 3 levels of operation. On level 1 it is extremely quiet and on level 3 it provides enough "white noise" for a great night's sleep. (My family has trouble falling asleep when it is too quiet in the room.)

YES, you do need to buy/use the Venta Airwasher Venta Water Treatment, 35oz Bottle. I repeat ... YOU NEED TO BUY/USE the VENTA WATER TREATMENT ADDITIVE. It needs to be added to fresh/clean water every 2 weeks (after you clean the tank). It is similar to salt in salt water, where it stays in the tank during those 2 weeks (and you just add water). The Water Treatment Additive keeps the water from getting that musty/moldy smell and helps prevent hard water deposits from building up on the inside of the Venta during the 2 weeks that you are just adding water (and not emptying/cleaning the unit). It works!

Venta has made some changes to their current model, compared to the units that I purchased over 8-10 years ago. I like the new blue-lit display and the fact that you can leave the setting level (1, 2 or 3) and just turn the unit on/off (without cycling through all the settings to turn it on/off, as it was in the older model). The new model also now auto-shuts off and the display goes red when the water level is too low. The plug on the current model does not seem as heavy duty as the previous model. It is more of a cordless phone-like plug now versus the older heavy-duty paper shredder-like plug. The motor/fan is much lighter and the base and wheel are slightly wider than those on the older version. Overall, happy with the improvements.

I own 4 LW25s and 1 LW44s. The advantage of the LW45 over the LW25 is the tank is almost double the size and it has 2 wheels so it can humidify a larger room (or a smaller room faster) and does not need to be filled as frequently. Generally, one tank of the LW25 can run 12 hours in my child's room during the winter before it needs to be re-filled.

I think both the black and white units look nice in a room, so it is just comes down to personal preference on the color.

Cleaning the unit is relatively easy. The tank, wheel and top (after you remove the fan/motor from it) can all be soaked/cleaned in the tub easily. The fan (and its parts) are a little more difficult since the fan motor cannot be submerged in water (but can only be wiped down). This really isn't a problem until you've owned the unit for a year or so and dust and other film/deposits start to build up on the parts. Still, given this, the Venta unit is easier to clean and maintain than other humidifiers ... especially since it only needs to be done every 2 weeks.

One final note: When you get your Venta Air Washer, write down the unique serial number and register your product. The number is only on a sticker in the top and fades over time. Again, buy and use the Water Treatment Additive every 2 weeks.

BTW ... Of my 4 older units ... ONE unit the fan motor started sounding funny/sticking after 8 years of use (so I tossed it this year), ONE unit the buttons are sticking (but it still works) and the other 2 units still work fine.

Highly recommend the Venta Airwasher for a humidifier and the IQAir HealthPro Plus for an air purifier!
Color: GreyVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have a large bedroom 17 ft. X 19 ft. which is about the size that this unit services (20x20) so it seemed the right unit for the job. I have a house that uses forced air heat. It keeps the house warm but causes a big drop in the humidity level (about 50% lower than outside). As a consequence, I’m always looking at humidifier options for the bedrooms.

I have a couple of Swiss Air units that work well, but they have a labor intensive cleaning cycle if tap water is used. Due to the comments by some users and the fact that the manufacturer recomm3ends only their own cleaning products I’ve used these only with distilled water. Distilled water is the miracle solution for a humidifier because any unit will require no cleaning as long as it is used. The drawback is the expense (about $0.90 per gallon) and the hassle of maintaining a supply. Since my winters are short it is a manageable approach. However, I would like a more convenient option.

The Venta unit has a less demanding cleaning cycle: wipe it out every two weeks and a thorough cleaning every six months. The six month cleaning can be done with regular vinegar, also. The only special requirement is to use a special wetting agent every two weeks. Overall, I have found it to be a more convenient alternative.

I’ve got the LW25 GREY that holds about 1.25 gallons of water. It has three speeds. On low, it is very quiet and probably won’t be noticed. On medium it’s noticeable but not obtrusive. On high, it’s a little too loud for me. I’d consider the high position to be only used in special situations.

On medium it goes through a tank of water in about a day. Advantages vs an ionizing unit: no visible vapor and easier cleaning cycle on tap water. The disadvantages vs. an ionizing unit: doesn’t seem to put out as much humidity as quickly and it’s louder.
If you need a humidifier for longer durations then this unit is a great way to go. For shorter durations an ionizing unit may be better for your situation.
Color: GreyVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We live in the bone-dry Arizona mountains, where outdoor humidity regularly hovers between 10 and 20%. That is roughest on living things; we feel the blast-furnace dryness in our noses and other soft tissues of mouth and throat. And such a parched environment shrinks wooden furniture and musical instruments. We've been running another humidifier in our bedroom for some time, and it has made life a lot easier: we no longer wake up with crusty sinuses and dry eyes.

However, our house is built with a great-room that combines both living and kitchen/family rooms, and we spend a lot of our time there as well. One thing we've noticed about our other humidifier, which actually produces vapor that looks like steam in the air, is that we get a significant buildup of fine white dust everywhere. We put up with extra cleanings for the benefits, but for the great-room, we wanted something else.

The Venta Airwasher/Humidifier supplies that. It produces water vapor in a different way than our other humidifier, and that's the secret. A beautiful thing about this device is how simple it is: Essentially, the unit comes apart in the middle. The top half houses a fan that blows upward at your choice of 3 speeds. The bottom half is the cold-water reservoir that holds 2 gallons. In it sits a plastic "drum," made up of a lot of individual cells. Like the paddlewheel on a Mississippi steamship, this drum rotates at a steady speed. The individual cells bring up water, which becomes vapor in the column of air generated by the fan.

This particular unit says it's for a 400 sq. foot room, but we're operating it in a much larger space, and it's working. I have one of those electronic weather stations across the room, which measures both inside and outside temperature and humidity levels. Often, the outdoor humidity will be at something like 15%, while indoors, the humidifier has raised the percentage to 25 or more. That's enough to make a real difference in the comfort of our breathing passages and eyes.

Another way we know the unit is working - we have to refill or top it up twice a day. That means we're getting an additional 3 - 4 gallons of water in the air of our great-room during each 24-hr. period.

The instructions say you can use tap-water in the unit; however, we live in a rural area and get our water from a well, so we do not want to choke it with minerals. We use water from our Reverse Osmosis (RO) filter, and so far, there have been no mineral deposits at all.

Recommended!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 19, 2013
This unit stopped working after about three months. I have heard nothing from the seller after three attempts using the Amazon contact the seller email. I have another unit that I have had for well over 5 years that continues to work flawlessly. This unit has a paper thin power cord and I believe an inferior motor. Even the plastic housing is much thinner and less substantial. Don't buy it. By the way this is the first negative comment I have ever made on an Amazon item for sale and they, their distributor or retailer deserve the negative comment.
on February 13, 2013
I did not buy mine at Amazon, but I wanted everyone to know
that I have had mine for ten years and it still is working very
well. It would be nice to be able to get a new wheel in the
unit as mine is showing its age a little, but after 10 years
it has more than paid for itself.
on June 13, 2012
This unit is well made. A true German ingenuity. I love the fact that I don't have to deal with filters. No filters means I don't have to make a trip and pay for filters, I don't have to change them and I don't have to worry that if I forget to change the filter in a timely fashion, the unit will not work effectively. I just fill it with water and don't even have to worry about the water levels. If I forget to refill it, it'll shut down on its own. It is simply perfect!
on June 23, 2014
What was most important for me was that this seemed the only humidifier in which you can bring the water to the device. I own the LW 24 and for the most part it's just like the LW 25. I lift off the top part (which has the motor) and place it next to the bottom part, fill a medium size plastic water can with spigot from a faucet with water, carry the water can to the Venta, and pour the water into the bottom part. This eliminates what most if not all humidifiers require, carrying a tank to the faucet, filling it with several gallons of water, turning the tank upside down, and lugging it back to the humidifier. I am a very senior citizen and I just could not do that lugging after I got my medicare card. If the water can is too heavy with too much water, I just make two trips.

I only gave the LW 24 four stars because of minimal problems over the past 3 years of ownership and because I can't get the humidity in the medium sized bedroom over about 35 percent. But the ease of filling the device makes up for everything.
on March 19, 2014
A year ago I bought the Venta Airwasher (White, 5524536), no longer available. This model is the update of that version. So below my review of the older model, followed by an update.

Original review (March 2013)-----------
Just so you know where I'm coming from, here is what I'm looking for in a humidifier:
(1) The heft to reasonably humidify a 200 square foot room,
(2) The capacity to only be filled once a day,
(3) Something that isn't going to get mineralized or become a bacterial soup,
(4) Something the looks nice, and
(5) Something with a built-in hygrometer.

A product that offers all 5 of these doesn't exist. I thought I had found it in the Staedler form (I had the Hera, but I imagine the William is similar). The deal breaker for me was that the built in hygrometer just didn't work -- the number never budged. Maybe I should have tried a replacement, because on paper it meets all 5 criteria. (The Staedler form avoids bacteria with an Ionic cube - who knows whether that works or not).

I also tried the Broksonic Hybrid Ultrasonic Humidifier, which nails looks but misses many other requirements. (I've posted a review).

Here is how the Venta stacks up:
(1) Power: raised the humidity in my 200 square foot room very easily.
(2) Capacity: needs to be filled once a day when running at max speed.
(3) Comes with demineralizing / antibacterial solution for the water, plus a special cleaning agent to be used twice a year. (For what it's worth was also rated as a top choice in a very rigorous German test.)
(4) Looks: well, hmmm, it's not ugly although no great beauty. Worth mention it's not huge and bulky so not terrible.
(5) No built in hygrometer, although I've concluded it's better in most cases to have an external hygrometer since in any case a hygrometer built into the unit can't be that accurate.

So 3.5 out of 5, but the 3 things it does it does really well. I'm going to give it another 2 weeks, and if it continues to perform I will eventually buy another. So far I am not in love but very satisfied.

Update: It has been 3 weeks now and the unit is working well. It raises the humidity in a small room to 40 percent, and runs about a full day at the highest fan setting. A quick note: there is anti-bacterial fluid that you should buy with this: Venta Airwasher Venta Water Treatment (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P9BY2E/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1). This prevents bacterial buildup and should be added every two weeks. In between you don't need (shouldn't) clean or flush the unit (i.e., replace the water completely -- you just top it up). Around a week to 10 days the water does develop something like soap scum build up. But this is normal. When you give the inside a quick clean and gentle scrub the buildup comes off easily. Not ideal, but every humidifier has to be cleaned. This at least reduces it to once every two weeks and prevents bacterial buildup in the meanwhile.

Update March 2014---------------
So the older unit just gave up recently. Simply wouldn't start. I've got to admit that I was a bit disturbed by this. I went for the "made in Germany" mystique, and assumed this was built to last. But, on the plus side, there is a two year warranty, and they were incredibly efficient in honoring it. They had mailed me a replacement fan within the week.

As it turns out, I stand by my positive review of the earlier model so we bought a second unit (the LW25) for our second bedroom. It' basically the same unit with an ever-so-slightly sleeker design. But otherwise everything else is the same. To recap the key fact: you must buy the cleaning and treatment fluids with this kind of unit. Since there is standing water in the reservoir and you only top up most days, it's essential and makes the unit easier to clear.
on June 10, 2014
If you do decide to get one, you should definitely get the white version. It is easier to see when the unit needs cleaning and whether you've done so effectively. Besides, the black unit makes it like you're trying to humidify the Death Star. That said, here's my take on whether you should buy one at all...

Pros:
1. Having the water reservoir as the bottom piece and the power cord attached to the top allows for easy refilling without having to unplug the unit or lift the reservoir (which is heavily when filled) onto a base like most humidifiers require.
2. The simplicity of the unit (just a fan that blows over a tube comprised of close-together discs) makes it very easy to clean, and reduces the chance substantially of having a clog or other mechnical issue. Every inch of the inside is visible, so you won't have any hiding mildew or stagnant water sitting in a hole or non-visible tube.
3. The cold evaporation ensures that the room doesn't feel like a jungle in the morning. I've found that I don't get any weird buildup on the wall. It also means that you don't have to be concerned about the surface on which you place it getting water stained because of falling steam/condensation.

CONS:
1. It is bizarrely expensive for what it is.
2. While it is easy to clean, a weird rust-colored precipitate coats the bottom and wheels frequently. The care that they recommend for it to keep it clean is not 100% effective. I have to leave the disc soaking in the cleaner and blast it with water to get the layer of rust stuff off. That said, I have not had any mildew buildup or smell ever.
3. It feels fragile, especially the disc tube and the handle holding it. I am always particularly ginger when carrying it, more so than should be required of an item costing as much as it does. It could definitely be built more solidly.
4. The cleaner they sell for it is overpriced. That said, all you have to do is look up the chemical composition of the cleaner and you'll see that there are less expensive alternatives out there.

I've had my until for a little over two years. For as much as I paid for it, I expect it to last at least five. If it does, I'll add a star here. When you sell a product this expensive, it better be one that can survive the long haul. We'll see if that's the case.
VINE VOICEon December 17, 2013
Color: WhiteVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I live in southern California, with average humidity in the 30's but much lower during the winter with the heater. The Venta works well in my 500 sq foot apartment, and manages to pump a gallon of water per day into the air on medium setting. On high setting, it's about two gallons every 30 hours. The low and medium settings are very quiet, and the high setting is that of a floor fan at medium setting.

Basically, the fan blows down and rotates a honeycomb of blades. As the blades pass through the water, it washes off accumulated dust and evaporates water into the air. I managed to get about two weeks out of a bottle of treatment before the water turned brown from accumulated dust. It does not have the effectiveness of a HEPA filter, but I have sneezed much less since I've begun using it, and the air never smells bad when I come home.

One negative is the price of the treatment. It inhibits bacteria and mold, but does nothing to prevent mineral deposits on the blades. With the hard water in my area, I expect to have to descale the blades every three months. I played with the solution and found it to be a mixture of soap and other non-dissolving chemicals.

Any water soluble chemical would evaporate into the air, and you do not want to inhale it into your lungs. I found that a dab of unscented dish soap keeps the water clean just as well as the treatment, and does not evaporate into the air either. Now I can change the water weekly without feeling like I am burning through my money.

I expect to use some sort of vinegar or citric acid solution to descale my humidifier. No reason to pay full price if I don't have to.