5.0 out of 5 stars Venta Airwasher Humidifiers are the best!
This is my third Venta Humidifier so I'm clearly a huge fan. My other two are the larger Venta Airwasher Humidifier LW45 WHITE models.

Published 12 months ago by Michael G. Lustig

3.0 out of 5 stars Version 2.0 - an Improvement for Venta's Original Airwasher
Published 12 months ago by R. Ocampo

5.0 out of 5 stars Venta Airwasher Humidifiers are the best!, December 3, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

I've been though several types of humidifiers and every other one had serious drawbacks. Ultrasonic humidifiers leave a fine white dust. Swamp-cooler (fan blowing on sponge) humidifiers get moldy which is the opposite of what I want to blow into my air.

On the other hand, Venta is advertised as an Airwasher which implies that it cleans the air. In fact, it really does. If you fill the filter with clean water and check on it before it runs out you'll see that the water is dirty. The dirt came from the air.

Others have reported problems with their Ventas clogging up with mineral deposits. I haven't had that problem sine the water here isn't too bad in that regard. Venta sells Venta Airwasher Venta Water Treatment, 35oz Bottle to help prevent this but for me it didn't make any noticeable difference.

I clean mine periodically with white vinegar and a toothbrush. I wouldn't put it in a dishwasher like some users suggest since the plastic might melt.

My only minor complaint is that sometime the lid's motor and the water wheel don't engage the first try so you have to do a visual inspection to make sure it's actually working after you add water. Other than that, this product is built to last out of high-quality materials.

I think this is the best humidifier on the market.

3.0 out of 5 stars Version 2.0 - an Improvement for Venta's Original Airwasher, December 9, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I previously owned Venta's LW24 model and was quite fond of it's build quality and simplicity of use. Of particular note is the high quality German-make plastic that I've come to appreciate which has a solid and luxurious feel. If you have a German car, you'll know what I'm referring to from the plastic remote key to the plastics on the dashboard. It's night and day different from the plastics used in Japanese and Korean cars.

So I'm excited to be able to impart my thoughts on their latest version 2.0 models. Mine is the LW15 which is their smallest offering. On Venta's website they list 11 reasons why "people insist on Venta Airwashers." Let's tackle them in detail:

1. Can never over humidify - Which is true because it uses "cold evaporation" which basically uses the air passing through the unit to pick up moisture. When there is enough humidity in the air, there would be less evaporation in the process. So thereby it is self-regulating. I agree with this 100%.

Of course the only issue is that there are times when you want to over-humidify a room when you're sick. Unlike ultrasonic humidifiers, this will not make it possible.

2. No filters, No trash - For those who remember the Rainbow Vaccum cleaners, this Venta Airwasher uses water as the filter. There is no filter to buy and replace because you "ideally" refill the water onto the base. What Venta does not tell you is how dirty the internals can be including the vents over time. You have to religiously clean the unit every two weeks. Over a year, you may even want to send in your unit to them for ultra sonic cleaning. There will be a build up of gunk and you will need to constantly buy their Water Treatment additive every 2 weeks to try and prevent the build up as buy the Venta Cleaner every six months to help remove the gunk.

So yes there are no filters to buy and replace, but it is replaced by the above chemicals to add in the water.

3. Hygiene, No more germs - Well to prevent the build up of germs in the water, you need to clean and replace the water as well as use their Water Additive to maintain hygiene.

4. Low Maintenance - I thought this was the case when I got the unit, but I see nothing has changed from the original unit. So I don't agree in this aspect because frankly having a filter to catch the dirt and germs is easier to remove and replace than clean the whole unit altogether. So if low maintenance means not buying filters, then yes. But in terms of cleaning, you have to clean this more often than those with filters.

5. Use very little power - I agree because it uses cold evaporation and thereby only has a small fan to move the air, this does not use much electricity compared to other humidifiers including my Air-O-Swiss ultrasonic humidifier with heater. Depending on the speed setting, it only uses 3 - 4 watts of electricity.

6. Eco-friendly - To a certain extent, yes, because of the water filtration method as well as the little power that it uses to operate. As to the chemicals you have to pour into the unit every two weeks as well to clean every six months is something I'm not sure about when flushing down the drain over time.

7. Extremely simple to use - This is correct. There are only two buttons on the unit - Power and Speed. In the old model, these buttons are a mechanical switch that you press down. In this latest iteration, the buttons are similar but it's a soft digital switch. There is now a nice blue light to let you know there is power and the numbers light up to let you know of the fan speed.

8. Very simple to clean - This overlaps the "low maintenance" reasoning which I don't agree. Over time you need to thoroughly clean the unit and it's pieces because of the dirt and calcium build up. I thought it was easy as adding chemicals and water to prevent these build up, but gunk will still build up over time. I ended up scrubbing the parts with a toothbrush and after two years I gave up and sold the unit.

9. Easy to fill with water - This seems like a no brainer, but it is true. You remove the top portion to expose the bottom base that acts as a water basin. Pour water, replace the top part and you're done.

10. Made in Germany - I have no complains with the build quality and have high regards to German made products.

11. Premium Quality - As I have mentioned in my introduction, the high quality plastic has provided a solid look and feel that will blend with any interior. There are no tacky controls or gimmick shapes. The cube shape with fins is unique to Venta.

Overall it is a much improved unit from their previous model while still retaining the high quality build and shape that is known to become Venta's signature look. Unfortunately despite the ease of operation and the promise of no filters to purchase, you are still faced with buying additive solutions on a bi-weekly basis to prevent dirt and calcium build up that will form gunks in the machine. As well as purchasing their cleaning solution every six months for a thorough cleaning. Not to mention that you will eventually want to send in your machine for an ultrasonic cleaning once the gunk becomes unsightly. Of course this depends on your location, environment and water quality on how the machine reacts. Living in the downtown core of a city maybe the reason why my unit performs this way.

At this rate I would have just want to contend with having the dirt stuck on the filters to toss away and replace than to clean the whole unit. So it is disappointingly the same old method that has become Venta's trademark as well. I remember how tedious it became that I eventually had to give up.

4.0 out of 5 stars for true purifying + humidifying, Go 1 or 2 sizes up -- trust me (i've owned mine for 5 yrs), December 5, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The concept of an air purifier + humidifier in one seems too good to be true. Can 1 product really do the work of 2 machines? Well, yes and no. i've had an LW15 for almost 5 years and this is my 2nd unit.

For AIRWASHING,
the small LW15 size does an OK job, but get a larger unit-- much better. We all know ionic purifiers release ozone into the air, so this is still a filter-less, more healthy alternative. How? WATER is the filter. The fan intake pulls in dirty air; airborne particles get trapped in the water tank and sink to the bottom, while venting out fresh air evaporating near the top. The proof? After a few days, pour out the water and look at the collected particulate and pet hair. It does the job, but even in my tiny bedroom, the LW15 isn't powerful enough, even on 'high' setting. I should have gotten an LW25 or LW45 to increase the airwashing power.

For HUMIDIFYING,
Sadly, in my tiny NYC bedroom, the LW15 is not strong enough to humidify the air, and i still woke up with a dry nose. Therefore, I currently use TWO LW15's and put them on 'high' setting next to my bed, which is much better.

Truthfully, it's a better airwasher than humidifier. The LW15 merely balances out the dryness to an equilibrium. But i like my space to be on the moist, tropical-temp side of the equilibrium. It's just not powerful enough to emit loads of water into the air.

PROS:
+German efficiency and quality (my nearly 5 yr old unit still runs perfectly)
+genius design of only 3 parts - motor, cylinder, and housing unit. No filter.
+easy to clean
+whisper quiet
+responsive customer service

Cons:
+Expensive (but you can find used ones on Craigslist for cheap)
+LW15 size not strong enough to be effective even in small room - get LW25 or LW45 instead)

Despite the cons, i love the quality of Venta and the genius theory behind it, but the LW15 size is not strong enough to be effective even in small room. I HIGHLY recommend getting 2 sizes up and bonus-- you won't have to refill as often)

If you're unsure and need serious quantifiable power for purifying and humidifying, then get 2 separate machines. But if you lack the real estate (like me), and you want a good quality 2-in-1 machine, this is the absolute best. Don't go to Bed Bath & Beyond and get a cheapie purifier/humidifier hybrid-- this one does so much more and is worth the money.

The only hidden costs is buying the Venta treatment additive (a few squirts to the water) to improve performance. It costs about $18-20 a bottle, and i buy only 2-3 bottles a year. Less costly than filters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Save money on filters, chap stick and skin lotion and cough drops, December 2, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I own 4 different kinds of air filter machines and 3 different humidifiers. Currently. Others have passed through over the years.

Air filtering machines, are all about the filter. If they work, the filters are expensive. If they don't work, the machines make and move around more dust than they filter.

Humidifiers, when they don't work, create white dust, water spills, noise, and I have even had one that made my walls moldy.

So this Venta machine seems like a pretty groovy invention. It uses water as the filter. So that is a pretty cheap and effective filter. But it doesn't shoot steam or mist out. Something about cold evaporation. All I know is it doesn't make a mess.

This machine is really quiet. Like really quiet.

This is the perfect time of year to test a machine like this. Dry lips, dry skin, dry cough. So far the machine is handling all those things very well. This is a small unit. One room. It takes a little over a gallon of water. You fill it up and top it off every day or so. That part is easy. There is also a water treatment you have to add. You get some with the machine. From my reading if you have hard water you really need this additive.

You completely clean the unit a few times a year. You rinse it out every two weeks. It comes apart. Some of it looks easy to clean with a cloth, some looks like a pain. There is special cleaning fuild. You put the cleaning fluid Ina nod run it for two hours then you still have to wipe it down inside.

Also from my reading there used to be a lw14 model. THis takes the place of that. This is rated quieter and it is supposed to use less energy. The footprint seems about the same and the amount of room it does seems about the same.

3.0 out of 5 stars I've been using VENTA Humidifiers for almost 10 YEARS. Great HUMIDIFIER, but the LW15 is TOO SMALL ... SIZE UP to LW25 or LW45., May 23, 2014
This is an GREAT, quality humidifier (not so much as an air purifier); however, I recommend SIZING UP to the LW25 or LW45. This LW15 is a little too small to provide adequately humidify a room. If you are looking for a great AIR PURIFIER, I highly recommend the IQAir New Edition HealthPro Plus Air Purifier, which is pricey but worth it).

I purchased my first Venta Airwasher LW25 almost 10 years ago. I currently own 5 Ventas ... both the LW25 and LW45 ... in white and gray. I did extensive research on various allergy/asthma websites before ultimately deciding to purchase the Venta. Yes, it is expensive ... but well worth it for humidifying the air. In all these years, I have not found another product that even comes close to the Venta (for humidifying the air). There is absolutely no white dust on anything when using this unit. I purchased it to humidify the bedrooms and living room during the cold winters (when the heat is running almost non-stop), not as an air purifier. There is a noticeable/drastic improvement in the air humidity when it is running versus not running. My family sleeps so much better with the Venta and IQAir HealthPro Plus running ... no nose bleeds, no coughing.

Since I purchased my Venta as a humidifier (not a purifier), I don't use it in the summer (when the humidity is naturally high) and only use the IQAir HealthPro Plus. The Venta should not be used in areas/times where the humidity is high because it will over humidify the room. (There is no humidity control/monitor on the unit.) For this reason, during the summer, I put my Ventas away and only use air purifiers to clean the air in my bedrooms. The Venta works best when you can close the room off (i.e., shutting the door to the room); however, it still works in big open rooms (i.e., living room) ... just not as good. It has 3 levels of operation. On level 1 it is extremely quiet and on level 3 it provides enough "white noise" for a great night's sleep. (My family has trouble falling asleep when it is too quiet in the room.)

YES, you do need to buy/use the Venta Airwasher Venta Water Treatment, 35oz Bottle. I repeat ... YOU NEED TO BUY/USE the VENTA WATER TREATMENT ADDITIVE. It needs to be added to fresh/clean water every 2 weeks (after you clean the tank). It is similar to salt in salt water, where it stays in the tank during those 2 weeks (and you just add water). The Water Treatment Additive keeps the water from getting that musty/moldy smell and helps prevent hard water deposits from building up on the inside of the Venta during the 2 weeks that you are just adding water (and not emptying/cleaning the unit). It works!

Venta has made some changes to their current model, compared to the units that I purchased over 8-10 years ago. I like the new blue-lit display and the fact that you can leave the setting level (1, 2 or 3) and just turn the unit on/off (without cycling through all the settings to turn it on/off, as it was in the older model). The new model also now auto-shuts off and the display goes red when the water level is too low. The plug on the current model does not seem as heavy duty as the previous model. It is more of a cordless phone-like plug now versus the older heavy-duty paper shredder-like plug. The motor/fan is much lighter and the base and wheel are slightly wider than those on the older version. Overall, happy with the improvements.

I own 4 LW25s and 1 LW44s. The advantage of the LW45 over the LW25 is the tank is almost double the size and it has 2 wheels so it can humidify a larger room (or a smaller room faster) and does not need to be filled as frequently. Generally, one tank of the LW25 can run 12 hours in my child's room during the winter before it needs to be re-filled.

I think both the black and white units look nice in a room, so it is just comes down to personal preference on the color.

Cleaning the unit is relatively easy. The tank, wheel and top (after you remove the fan/motor from it) can all be soaked/cleaned in the tub easily. The fan (and its parts) are a little more difficult since the fan motor cannot be submerged in water (but can only be wiped down). This really isn't a problem until you've owned the unit for a year or so and dust and other film/deposits start to build up on the parts. Still, given this, the Venta unit is easier to clean and maintain than other humidifiers ... especially since it only needs to be done every 2 weeks.

One final note: When you get your Venta Air Washer, write down the unique serial number and register your product. The number is only on a sticker in the top and fades over time. Again, buy and use the Water Treatment Additive every 2 weeks.

BTW ... Of my 4 older units ... ONE unit the fan motor started sounding funny/sticking after 8 years of use (so I tossed it this year), ONE unit the buttons are sticking (but it still works) and the other 2 units still work fine.

Highly recommend the Venta Airwasher for a humidifier and the IQAir HealthPro Plus for an air purifier!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice quiet sturdy unit., December 2, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have had this unit for about a week. It is set up in our family room near the fireplace. It does seem to clean the air - although not with the efficiency of a big air cleaner. I have noticed a decrease in routine odors and the wheel which does the cleaning collects quite a bit of stuff.

On “high” it puts about a gallon of water into our relatively moist southern air about every other day. It does not puts out a “mist” of any kind, so this is not a super humidifier like one might use in a sick room, but rather is designed to maintain a good environment in the winter. Unlike mist humidifiers it doesn’t get anything “wet.” So, the carpets, furniture, etc are all safe.

The unit is well built of heavy plastic pieces that fit together well and look like they will last a long time. It has a very good feel to it and a nice compact appearance. In our family room is sits un-noticed in a quiet corner. It is supposed to be place quite a distance from air obstacles, but this is hard in our home.

Function wise, there is a large fan in the top of the unit that blows air near, through and over a large rotating wheel with multiple veins. The air moving across the veins gains humidity and loses some contaminates. The bottom wheel is ingeniously turned by the same motor that spins the fan, eliminating unnecessary complexity.

The unit has two speeds. On “low” it is quiet enough to not be heard except at close distances. On “high” it is louder, but still not bothersome. It is much quieter than say, a space heater with a fan or a traditional air filter.

The unit is designed for easy cleaning. The bottom, since it has no electrics can be rinsed easily. The top disassembles to provide access to the moving parts. The top is supposed to be cleaned once a “season” while the bottom needs to be washed about every ten days.

There is a solution that you are supposed to run in the unit for maximum effect . It comes with enough for a couple of uses- about two weeks or so. The solution is not terribly expensive, but I have not had it long enough to get a feeling for how much it will cost to run.. I am thinking, “minimal.”

Recommended for those who are looking for a quiet humidifier that “washes” the air and gradually increases humidity in a controlled manner without making a mess.

1.0 out of 5 stars Had High Hopes..., March 6, 2014
This review is from: Venta Airwasher Humidifier LW15 GREY (Misc.)
I had high hopes for this unit after reading the reviews and figured with the high price, you get what you paid for right ?

Wrong, this unit barely worked and was extremely loud on any setting. The unit also gave off a smell that was not over whelming, but irritating. The unit also would shut off after 5-10 minutes of running no matter what setting even after taking the unit apart and firmly closing all sides and clasps.

Unit was returned for a different brand that I am now very happy with ! I would not recommend this unit !

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it advertises, but I have mixed feelings...., January 16, 2014
Paukenwirbel (the mid-South, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm pleased with this product, in that it definitely does exactly what it advertises in the "airwasher" department, and it does so effectively. It's really amazing how much gunk one finds in the bottom of the unit after a couple of weeks.

The design is simplicity itself, and every part feels as though it's well designed and sturdily built. Part of what makes me hesitant to give it 5-stars, though, is just what a simple, plastic unit it is with a simple fan (even though the unit is fantastically built and brilliantly designed!). The cost is quite significant, and it doesn't stop at purchase but continues through a lifetime of use, as one needs to replace the water treatment chemical every 10-14 days. It's a good alternative to disposable filters, but the cost seems excessive....

Particularly so because of how small an area this services (advertised as up to 200 sq. ft.). My bedroom is not huge, but it's about 250 sq. ft., so I really should get a larger unit, but the cost is staggering. Nonetheless, this unit does seem to do a good job of cleaning the air in my bedroom, though I wish the company didn't emphasize this so much as a humidifier.

It succeeds in evaporating about a gallon of water (fan set on high) every 36-48 hours, depending upon the RH, but in the heart of winter, that's a relatively small amount of water that barely moves the hygrometer's readout in my bedroom.

The fan runs nearly silently on both speeds, and one would think that it could put out a bit more humidity if it had a faster-running fan, though that would make water refills more frequent, necessitating a larger tank, meaning one might as well buy a larger model. One quibble about the air-flow is that while pulling the air IN from the top is a good idea in many ways, that necessitates pumping it out the bottom/sides, so if you have this on a floor, that's stirring up dust into the air, actually decreasing the air quality. You really need a platform of some sort to set this on, free-standing enough so you don't soak your walls and end up with a mold problem.

Sorry for rambling, but it's a necessary result of my mixed feelings: this product is a good idea that seems overpriced and not quite perfected. But, since it truly does as advertised, cleaning tons of gunk out of the air, I must give it at least 4 stars, though I can't say I think it's quite worth the price. It's a neat and very functional gadget for folks who have plenty of disposable income.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best in humidifers, January 6, 2014
This review is from: Venta Airwasher Humidifier LW15 GREY (Misc.)
I have owned this product for at least 10 years. The quality of the product is unsurpassed and the fact that there is no mist (no while powder on table tops) and no steam (no risk of burns), it is pretty safe for my pets. I have run in on all 3 speeds, the lowest is the best for sleeping. It does not "force" water into the air, it adds moisture through evaporation. In the process, it also clean the air in the room. You don't realize how much it's doing until you empty the tank! Mine did not have a shut off feature, but doesn't necessarily need it since it doesn't care if it runs out of water. I also used the treatment with the water to help keep mold and water mineralization to a minimum. The housing to the motor is easy to open with no tools, so you can clean the fan and parts of any build up. You will not find another humidifier like this; it is worth the money and, after all these years, still going strong!

Venta Airwasher Humidifier LW15 GREY