1,463 Reviews
 (1,061)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime DVD Media! Superb Quality!
I have already written a glowing 5 star review for the 25 pack spindle of these and will simply reiterate here that these are simply the best DVD blank media that I have used thus far.

I have used many different brands and must tell you that after burning to many tens of these disks I have yet to suffer a single error writing to them!

These burn very...
Published on June 19, 2006 by Grumple Dumple

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good quality as in the past
Published on February 17, 2010 by Magellan

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime DVD Media! Superb Quality!, June 19, 2006

These burn very very fast at 16X in my pc computer's NEC ND-3500AG 16X DVD burner and also in my DMR-EH50S Panasonic DVD Recorder (through which I record content from the television to its hard drive and then after editing the content, burn it to DVD media).

I also want to let you know that there is extra storage space contained on these that I have not found with the many other brands I have used (including Taiyo Yuden, Philips, Maxell, Memorex, TDK)! I can squeeze more video and file content onto these Verbatim disks. That makes a difference in those critical moments in which I need to fit those extra few megabytes onto the same disk.

I will continue to use these exclusively until either the production quality goes down or they quit making them altogether -- I hope neither happens!

The price on these has been fluctuating lately, but no matter what the price, these are quite simply worth purchasing! It just so happens that at this particular moment (of writing) this 100 disk spindle has reduced in price to a mere $34.99. There is a $12.00 rebate for it as well!

After buying 3 25 pack spindles, I finally got wise and opted for the 100 pack. This should last me quite a while!

So get this 100 disk spindle now! I heartily recommend it to you!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good quality as in the past, February 17, 2010
This review is from: Verbatim 4.7 GB up to 16x Branded Recordable Disc AZO DVD-R 50-Disc Spindle 95101 (Electronics)
I've used Verbatim disks a lot over the years and overall they have performed very well. In fact, just recently I tested some DVDs that I burned 3-5 years ago that had some family photos and videos on it, and many of the Memorex and Ritek DVDs were unreadable, but the copies on Verbatims were fine. So I have no personal problem with the Verbatims. Fortunately I had a second backup copy of this material on other media that was still good.

One advantage to Verbatim DVDs is that they pioneered a more stable metal-stabilized azo dye that is said to be even better than Taiyo-Yuden's super-cyanine dye.

However, in doing a lot of online research recently reading various discussions and blogs about what is the best media for long-term storage, there was general agreement from many of the participants in these discussions that Verbatim's once great quality had slipped in recent years. People were saying that Verbatim had licensed its technology to various offshore manufacturers who were producing the disks under their label and those disks were showing high failure rates. If you can find the ones that really are made in Japan, though, it was said those are probably still good.

In fact, I am about to purchase some Verbatim DVD+RW disks to make another copy of my personal files onto these RW type disks. That's because RW's don't use optical dyes, which can age and degrade over time; instead the data is stored by an exotic alloy--often GeSbTe (germanium-antimony-tellurium), but I have also seen InSbTe (indium-antimony-tellurium) mentioned-- which should be more stable. This is possible because the alloy has different reflectance in the crystalline vs. the amorphous, non-crystalline state. The problem is that since these are rewritable disks there is the danger that you could accidently overwrite them, which is why many people prefer the optical dye media which are write-once. For me I don't think that is a problem so I'm willing to try some of these and just see how well they do over the long term. I'll check them again in 5 and 10 years (assuming I live that long :-)) and see how they do compred to the optical media.

But after extensive research on the best optical media I settled on Taiyo Yuden. Their name came up again and again in the forums, and no one complained of any serious problems. Their reliability and consistency was especially held in high regard. Since I went to so much trouble researching this issue, I thought I would report on what I found here.

Be sure that you have real Taiyo Yuden though, as they are often faked. True T-Y media has a noticeable little ring in the dye area near the hub, which stands out and is easily seen. It's said this is more expensive to do and is harder to fake. Also make sure that on the package it really does say made in Japan. T-Y is only made in Japan. They have not diluted their quality by outsourcing to anyone else as has been said in the case of Verbatim. Also, avoid any disks from China and United Arab Emirates. Those consistently came up in the forums as among the worst. Those from India could sometimes be good and Taiwan was usually okay.

Verbatim does have a point in their favor, though, in that their dye technology can be shown to be more resistant to ultraviolet light damage. However, unless you're in the habit of leaving your DVDs on the dashboard of your car or something this isn't as big a deal as has been claimed. And since many people bought the Verbatims in the past for archival purposes they're going to be stored in a dark place anyway so it's not really a factor for most people.

The same thing goes for the previously very well thought of gold/silver (actually aluminum) DVD-R disks from Mitsui. These disks are expensive (over $2 per disk) compared to Taiyo Yuden's which you can get for about 36 cents apiece if you buy a hundred pack. The problem is that Mitsui has since broken up into two subdivisions, Mitsui Advanced Media of America and of Europe, and people were saying the quality just wasn't as good as in the old days.

Also, people were pointing out that the necessity for gold has been over-hyped in recent years. That's because it just isn't necessary to pay the extra cost anymore. Gold was preferred some years back because it doesn't oxidize if there is a defect in the polycarbonate plastic layer covering the thin metal layer, and was thought to be superior because of that. However, it turns out that had more to do with defects back then in the manufacturing process of applying the plastic layer evenly to the disks. That problem was solved years ago and now there's no real reason to go to the extra expense of the gold, although many people still think it's the best archival grade media. There's no doubt it's a good media, the problem is that they can't prove that it's worth spending 6 or 7 times as much for a disk that doesn't last any longer according to these accelerated aging tests that have been done. Nevertheless, you will often find websites advertising the gold types as the only true archival quality grade media.

I did come up with one very interesting find on a gold/silver disk that might be worth it for very critical information. Mitsubishi-Kagaku recently teamed up and have produced a dual layer gold/silver disk similar the earlier Mitsui disks. They're also over $2 per disk but there's a very interesting difference. It turns out that DVDs are typically stamped from a glass master with runs of usually around 500,000 before they replace the master. After the fist couple of hundred thousand, the master isn't that accurate anymore and that can cause problems. Manufacturers typically mix disks from different parts of the runs together when you buy them. It's thought that this is why you can buy a cake box of 50 or 100 disks, have no problems and then run into several failed burns with apparently no reason. Very likely those disks were from the last 100,000 or 200,000 of the run.

However, these Mitsubishi-Kagaku disks are guaranteed to be from runs of less than 25,000 disks, which should be well within the tolerances of the glass master. You pay for it though, and a cake box of 25 disks is around $65. You can find them on the web by looking up "Century disk." The dye is a metal stabilized azo dye which is said to be possibly the best dye, too. I bought a small number of these disks for some very critical data as well as the Taiyo-Yuden and have been very happy with the results. No "coasters" at all.

By the way, there are several reasons to prefer the DVD+R media to the -R. Unfortunately, although Taiyo Yuden makes +R's, Century disks only come in -R format. There are several reasons for this superiority. One is that +R's have better bit error checking and correction algorithms than -R's, which could prevent lost data. The second is better wobble detection (all disks have this and it has to be corrected for during recording and playback). The third is that +R's have more than one burn profile for the laser power, whereas -Rs only have one. This makes it more likely to get a better burn since the dye is sensitive to the laser power.

Whichever way you decide to go, good luck with your archiving and optical storage!

5.0 out of 5 stars No coasters., January 17, 2008
Besides Taiyo Yuden brand DVD media which are always highly rated. Verbatims are held in high regard. I have tried Sony, Maxell, Memorex, TDK... all of the usual supects and Verbatims is my media of choice. I have gone through two 50 disk spindles and can't recall getting any errors. If you find a good price stock up on these. great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good media for your DVD-R needs, February 2, 2008
Matthew G. Sherwin (last seen screaming at Amazon customer service) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Verbatim makes a very reliable blank DVD-R that can handle up to 4.7 GB of data. Moreover, these blank DVD-Rs record data at speeds up to 16x. I have used these as data discs, discs to record video and discs to record video. I also get very few, if any, coasters.

The DVD-R discs are compact and easy to store. While the discs are still blank, store them in the circular case on the spindle that they came in. After your burn data onto them, I would recommend storing them in slim jewel cases instead of paper sleeves. It's just better protection for your DVD-Rs that have data stored on them. Don't store these discs, burnt or blank, in rooms that become very hot; this causes damage to any brand of this type of disc and you could lose data over time.

There are two caveats that many other people note about any brand of this product: when you are burning the data onto the blank disc, don't be surprised if you see that the data is burning at a rate slower than 16x. This can happen if your burner doesn't have the capacity to burn faster, or it may be a quirk. I am not a professional so I cannot be certain of precisely what causes this phenomenon; but I assure you that the extra minute or two (tops) that you wait to get your DVD-R completed is worth the wait. In addition, DON'T write on these using Sharpie ink pens. The ink can seep through the top coating of the DVD-R disc and compromise your data

Overall, Verbatim blank DVD-R discs store data reliably and I believe that an extra minute to burn the data onto the blank disc is well worth it in the event that it doesn't actually burn at 16x.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, July 12, 2008
Tall Paul (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Still the best discs you can buy in a retail store. The only discs that are marginally better than Verbatim are Taiyo Yudens that are more expensive and only available online. As far as quality per dollar spent Verbatim is #1. Verbatims are made by Mitsubishi thats why the quality is so high. These discs go on sale at Best Buy every month for only $12.99. Verbatim is so confident in their discs they give you a lifetime warranty

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Media, June 1, 2007
I use this media for all backups and have never had a problem. I use a Pioneer DVR-111D burner. Verbatim is THE best you can buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy if they're made anywhere else besides Taiwan or Japan....(* star for Amazon not providing this info), November 29, 2013
When I first began copying onto blank dvd media, I did research online to see what the overall consensus for the best general purpose brands to use waw... Everyone seemed to concur that Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim were the ones to stick with as they gave they best results with minimal errors.

Well, that was about five years ago. Since then, I've noticed a lot of complaints from people who bought newer packs of Verbatims and had multiple problems with them. The one reoccurring fact seemed to be that due to their popularity, they had started to outsource them for manufacture from their original production plants in Taiwan and Japan, and were now making them in India and Sri Lanka. According to the reports, these were the ones that were giving faulty results.

So anyway, when my local MaxOffice had a sale on these recently, I went to buy a couple of 100 bundles and instead of the usual "made in Taiwan" Verbatims they normally stocked, this time they were marked as being made in India. Hmm, I thought, surely Verbatim heard the complaints from users and fixed the production problems and they were now up to their usual high standards...

Brrzzzzz! Wrong! When I tried these shortly thereafter, I got 4 bad burns out of 10 that I tried, with multiple files and different drives, too. I returned them immediately for a refund, and sought out the manager of the OfcMax to let them know exactly why I had a problem with them. Of course, this info went to deaf ears because I still see them showing up on the shelves as the India ones.

Which brings us to Amazon...who don't provide product info as to where these are manufactured, which is a shame because they have occasional sales on these for very reasonable prices (like today's Black Friday deal of $18.99 per 100). But I'm not going to get burned (ha ha) on these again and need to go through the hassle of returning them, so no sale. At least at brick-and-mortar stores, you can examine the merchandise you're about to buy and find out where it was made.

I've made tons of copies on blank media (based on

1.0 out of 5 stars Coaster City, March 30, 2010
I just bought a 50-pack of Verbatim DVD-Rs (16x) from Amazon. Of the ten discs I have burned so far, six failed verification. In all of the hundreds of DVDs I have burned before, I have had this happen maybe twice. This is completely unacceptable and not the kind of quality I expect (and usually get) from Verbatim. Another reviewer warned of Verbatim discs made in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), and indeed my discs were made there. So be warned and watch out.

5.0 out of 5 stars works great for me !!!, December 21, 2008
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Verbatim makes a very reliable blank DVD-R that can handle up to 4.7 GB of data. Moreover, these blank DVD-Rs are capable of recording data at speeds up to "16x." The video I record onto these lasts and lasts. I have used these as discs to record video both with and without audio.

The DVD-R discs are compact and easy to store. While the discs are still blank, store them in the circular case on the spindle that they came in. After your record video onto them, I would recommend storing them in slim jewel cases instead of paper sleeves. It's just better protection for your DVD-Rs that have information stored on them. Don't store these discs, used or blank, in rooms that become very hot; this causes damage to any brand of this type of disc and you could lose your recorded video over time.

There are three caveats that many other people note about any brand of this product: before you buy these make sure that your DVD burner drive can burn the Verbatim brand of DVD-R without any problems; otherwise you run the risk of getting way too many coasters at best in exchange for your money. Second, there's the "recording speed" issue. When you are burning video onto a blank disc using computer software, don't be surprised if you see that the data is burning at a rate slower than "16x." This can happen if your burner doesn't have the capacity to burn faster, or it may be a quirk. I am not a professional so I cannot be certain of precisely what causes this phenomenon; but I assure you that the extra minute or two (tops) that you wait to get your DVD-R completed is worth the wait.

In addition, DON'T write on these using Sharpie ink pens. The ink can seep through the top coating of the DVD-R disc and slowly but surely compromise your data--ouch! If you need to label the discs, label its jewel case using a post-it note.

Overall, Verbatim blank DVD-R discs store video reliably; and if you make sure your burner can handle these they will be very useful to you. An extra minute to burn the data onto the blank disc is well worth it in the event that it doesn't actually burn at "16x" speed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Media is Excellent - Packaging for Shipping needs improvement, January 11, 2007
Tony Thiel (Kauai, Hawaii) - See all my reviews
I have ordered and used two sets of these and have never had a bad one. However Amazon shipping department have gotten a bit sloppy lately with their packaging for shipment.

Seems like they just grab any ole box (mostly too large for the item, throws the item in with a bit of very large bubble wrap and away it goes.

In my opinion, this method of packaging rarely protects the item and most of the time, the item(s) just rattles around inside. My wife and I have ordered a lot of things in the past year and have received the last few packages in this manner.

Back to the DVD-R media. I ordered this plus a couple of CD-R media. Being heavy and rounded the DVD-R came in with a broken outer casing. Luckily it didn't come apart and the media scattered all over the place which could have easily happened.

So come on Amazon! I've given you folks lots of KUDOS for your service and customer satisfaction, however your shipping department needs to be straightend out as they've gotten sloppy lately.