Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on July 15, 2009
I've had my Verbatim Store 'n' Go Micro 8GB drive for over six months (I bought it before they renamed it TUFF 'N' TINY) and haven't had any problems with it. It has been a reliable, sturdy, and fast storage device, and looks great on my keychain. It's always fun when I plug it in someone else's computer and they go "What the heck is that?" "Did you say EIGHT gig?" "Must've been expensive!"

I was a little worried about buying from a brand name that is not necessarily trusted in the field of flash memory, but my fears were allayed when I plugged it in for the first time and it identified itself as a "Kingston Store 'n' Go", which leads me to believe this device is the product of some collaboration between Kingston and Verbatim, or is an entirely Kingston product that has simply been purchased and rebranded by Verbatim. Either way, I feel better about the device knowing Kingston's name is associated with it in some way.

Just for kicks, I recently ran my drive through its paces using the Xbench benchmarking program for Mac. It clocked at the following speeds:

-Sequential-

Uncached Write: 0.03 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write: 1.00 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read: 3.27 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read: 29.86 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Update: I've now had my Tuff 'n' Tiny for nearly a year and still continue to love every minute of owning it. It takes a licking and just keeps ticking. If I could add a sixth star to this review, I would.

Another update: Hm, it seems I spoke a little too soon. After one year and one week, my 8GB Tuff 'n' Tiny has finally kicked the bucket. It has the same symptom many have described here--it just stopped being recognized by all my computers. It doesn't show up on the desktop when I plug it into my Mac; there's no dah-donk sound when I plug it into my Windows PC. I'm willing to concede, as others have suggested, that the super-thin Tuff 'n' Tiny may be more sensitive to static shock than other more well-shielded USB drives. However, given that mine lasted over a year with fairly heavy use, I feel like I did get my money's worth out of it, so I've gone ahead and purchased the newly released 16GB edition of the Tuff 'n' Tiny. If I don't have similar luck with the new one, I'll definitely consider docking some stars from my review and selecting a different brand and a larger more well-shielded form factor for my next USB drive. I'll keep you posted.

Yet another update: I've now had the 16GB model for over a year and it's been working great. (And now that I've updated this review, Murphy's Law states it will quit working in about a week. Haha, keep your fingers crossed for me!)

And as a bonus, here are benchmarks from Xbench for the 16GB model:

Uncached Write: 0.18 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write: 0.97 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read: 3.19 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read: 18.73 MB/sec [256K blocks]
22 comments|130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 17, 2010
I really should have listened to the negative reviews.

I work on both a Mac and a PC (windows nt & vista). It's 6am and I've spent a few minutes getting about 2Gb of documents together to work on at the office on my pc and was MID transfer when the tuff-n-tiny suddenly ejected itself.

This has absolutely never happened to me before. No, it didn't get jostled, there wasn't an earthquake, the flash drive was in my laptop and I was looking at the transfer progress waiting for the estimated time to process. everything was absolutely still--and voila, self eject complete with warning message that a device had been improperly removed.

I then actually removed the drive from the computer, reinserted it now I get the error message 'The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer'.

I've had it opened and out of the package for all of 10 minutes. And already-a major issue.

update--thought i'd reformat the drive on my PC at work...no dice. the laptop doesn't even register that there's a device in the drive.

Verbatim's getting a call from me then the damn thing's going back to the seller/Amazon.
55 comments|43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2009
I'm clocking write speeds of around 17MB/sec and read speeds of around 30MB/sec, both sustained. It's 'tuff', it's definately tiny, AND it's fast!
on February 20, 2011
This is a great USB drive--it cost me about as much as an 8GB drive from a retail store, but is a quarter the size. I almost lost it twice because it is so small that I didn't notice leaving it plugged into a public computer, but since then I check for it like it's cell phone or wallet (has important stuff on it now). I got it thinking I would put it in my wallet, but I'm not sure if that's a great idea despite the name; one side may look really sturdy, but I can see the contours of the circuit trace on the reverse, leading me to believe that it may not be extremely scratch resistant.

Anyway, great device--just hook it onto your key ring and you won't ever forget 16 gigs of homework at home!
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon September 22, 2009
Update (04/22/12):
This thing still works. I am now using it as a secondary drive to my Xbox Slim and it doesn't protrude like the bigger drives.

This gadget scores a lot in coolness. It is so light & tiny. It comes with a matching larnyard if you want to hang it in your keychain. The USB drive is color coded as follows: purple for 8g, green for 4g and orange for a 2g. It looks like just a solid piece of plastic. Looks pretty tough as indicated by its name. I love its simple and minimalistic design. I have own a few flash drives or pen drives that I used for my keychain, but either they are big and awkward, but also the caps always get lost in the process. Now, this don't have a cap so there is nothing to lose. The contacts are located on the other side and is completely exposed to achieve its small size. You can plug it either way but will only work one way. But no worry, it will not damage the drive if you plug it the wrong way. It will just do nothing.

This will be my primary drive that I carry everyday. I have already loaded them up with all of my fav apps.

Primary Apps:
Ad-Aware - anti-spyware, AVG Antivirus - antivirus, Firefox Mozilla - browser, FoxitReader - PDF reader
IZArc - completely free zip app, Open Office - office suite, Spybot Search & Destroy - another anti-spyware

Secondary Apps:
Audacity - excellent audio prog, Crap Cleaner, Crossloop - remote computing, CutePDFWriter - PDF write
Daemon Tools - virtual drive, Dvdshrink - back up your DVDs, Gimp - similar to Photoshop, ITunes, Irfanview - Image viewer, Launchy - similar to Quicksilver on Mac
Locknote - password protected note, Picasa - photo organizer, ImgBurn - ISO, Skype - free call, VLC- all-purpose media player, Yahoomsgr
on March 18, 2011
I just love these things, and this is the second one I've purchased. No problems using them, though be warned they are tiny. I have mine attached to a neck lanyard, so if I'm using it away from home it's less likely I'll forget it.
on May 31, 2010
I bought this flash drive so I could set up ReadyBoost
on my Windows 7 system - it's working flawlessly. One
thing to remember - if your flash drive doesn't have
software on it to let you remove it, be sure and run

"Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media"

before you just go and pull it out of the port. That
could be the end of your system recognizing it.
on December 17, 2009
I really like how small the Tuff N Tiny is; I keep it on my keychain and really like it. Unfortunately, it's not very reliable. My first one failed after 6 weeks. It completely died. Verbatim sent me a replacement and that one failed after a few weeks. The Verbatim replacement process was pretty good. I called up and after some verifying that it was dead, they gave me an RMA # and I sent it back. They sent a replacement about a week later.
on March 15, 2012
This is my second Tuff n' Tiny flash. I had the purple 8GB version for a few years, and when my wife asked for it, I couldn't resist buying the black 16GB for myself. During these years, I never had any problems. I repeatedly copy and delete large files, 700MB to 1.5GB, into these drives on a daily basis, but they haven't failed or anything all these years. The transfer speed is very good, and if not being better, it is nothing short than my huge SanDisk Cruzer 16GB USB Flash Drive SDCZ36-016G-A11. The size, shape, and speed make this drive one of the best flash drives I've ever had.

People tend to forget one thing about flash drives: these are not for storing any precious data. These are portable devices designed to increase data mobility. You should always back your data up into your computer or network attached storage. Nowadays, some NAS like Synology DS212 even come with automatic USB backups. You don't even need a computer and just plug the drive in and hit the backup button. The NAS will automatically make the backup for you.
on December 30, 2009
on the surface this USB drive seems great. if anything it's TOO small. It's TINY and looks well made. The only problem was, the drive, which was supposed to be a way for me to back up all of my important files and information so that I could carry it with me, stopped working in less than a week. I believe I copied my files to it exactly once before it stopped working. Maybe I got a defective drive, but it doesn't inspire confidence. Once they fix the minor breaking-in-a-week thing, I'll give it five stars
1313 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse

See 1 answered question