5.0 out of 5 stars Drive works well and boosted performance for me.
This SSD is being used for a system drive in my desktop computer, and works well with Windows 7 and Windows 8. Boot time is definitely improved, and seems reliable so far.

Published 17 months ago by Amazon Customer

Published 10 months ago by John Hawkins

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Drive works well and boosted performance for me., November 8, 2012
This review is from: Verbatim 120 GB SATA III Internal SSD 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch 47378 (Personal Computers)

I am retaining my hard drive for data, but the OS and all programs are running from this drive, and performing like a champ. I honestly don't know how the speed compares to other SSD devices, but the increase in performance from using the hard drive is noticeable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, January 12, 2013
I bought two to replace OS drives in two different computers. Both work as advertised.

I have bought over 20 SSDs in the past year to replace mechanical hard drives from various vendors; so far, these two drives worked as well or better than any of the others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Drive...Plug and Play...., December 4, 2012
I got this drive as an Amazon Lighting Deal and used it to replace a WD Velociraptor spinning disc. There is no comparison in speed, this drive is incredibly fast. Boot time is more than 50% less. Plug and play...

Verbatim is not necessarily known for drives, and I was hesitant. But, it has the same SanForce controller used on many higher-end drives and has generally good reviews & 3 year warranty.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lousy Drive....lasted less than six months before crashing...., June 11, 2013
Bought 1/31/13 ....drive died 6/9/13....tested all parts, replaced cable, changed connection....still dead.....now booting from old HDD with old OS until I can figure out how to get Win7 off of dead drive and install on new SDD from other mfg...........not much more to be said......worked great until it didn't.....conveniently died after the warranty expired...total loss....should have spent the extra $20.....bought Verbatum because of name recognition from the old PC days......going back to more expensive Intel.....

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked for 3 days, June 10, 2013
Excitedly I imaged my hard drive to this flashy new SSD. It worked extremely well, for exactly 3 days. After that my machine wouldn't boot and all data on the device was lost.

Look, you might be attracted to the lower price of this drive but do yourself a favor and avoid it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good cheap SSD, February 15, 2013
Ultimatum (Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
Upon receiving this SSD, you can tell that it's cheap. The packaging and how the drive looks and feels are all just cheap. However, I'm not concerned at all with how a drive looks as long as it performs well. This drive is good but it lowered my dard drive score in WIE (in Win7 x64) from a 7.9 to a 7.5. I'm not sure what's up with that since this drive is supposed to be faster than my old drive, but oh well. I took off an star for the lowered performance. It doesn't come with a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter either, so I had to get one of those separately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelente, December 22, 2012
Excelente, great performance in Ubuntu 12.10. The boot time decreases to 5 seconds!! Tested with kernel 3.7.1 and 3.5.2. I was very satisfied.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent price, OK performance., August 22, 2012
I ordered this SSD based on four criteria: price, capacity, read MBps, and write MBps. The first drive I received was DOA, so I needed to do an exchange, but amazon is always great about that. So far I'm satisfied with this drive, however there are a couple things that I find odd:

1. The drive is bulky for an SSD; I had to use the bottom screw holes on the drive when mounting it to my Thinkpad W510's hard drive tray.

2. The max read/write MBps may be overstated as the Windows experience index gives this drive a score of 7.5, whereas other SSDs I've used (all corsair) score 7.9. Using the Windows command "winsat diskformal" I got the following statistics for read performance:

> Disk Sequential 64.0 Read 264.49 MB/s 7.6
> Disk Random 16.0 Read 150.79 MB/s 7.4
> Responsiveness: Average IO Rate 0.78 ms/IO 7.9
> Responsiveness: Grouped IOs 8.72 units 7.4
> Responsiveness: Long IOs 2.20 units 7.9
> Responsiveness: Overall 19.14 units 7.8

It could be that my Thinkpad W510's hard drive controller isn't fully taking advantage of the drive, but just thought that I would share my findings/experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, December 29, 2013
It was cheap when I bought it. Performance of my desktop improved by leaps and bounds. My only regret is I didn't go for the 240 GB version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Professional Drive Controller in a Consumer Package, November 6, 2013
Excellent drive! Windows XP Pro SP 3 was able to initialize, partition and format the drive just fine with the older mobo drive controller on my MSI KAG Neo 2 mobo installed, as is, from the factory with no BIOS flash upgrade or overclocking enabled. It does all of this with a plain vanilla-flavored MSI BIOS. It's been running fine now for over a year.

Research on this drive shows it has the professional grade buffers and drive writers used in their military grade and server grade SSDs. The price is reasonable and it makes a great C drive. All my data is on D anyway, so I don't need a ton of space. Really the only reason for 120Gigs is to give some breathing room for Windows virtual memory management and for temp folders created by various programs. Otherwise, Windows XP SP3 doesn't take much room at all, less than 30G. Even with Pinnacle's Studio 13 Platinum fully loaded with all the accessory plug-ins (a 10 disc set), I'm only using about 40% of the drive space. Considering that Pinnacle's Studio 13 is a pudgy program, I think I'm doing well. Edits on the video timeline in Studio 13 are going way faster a smoothly with this SSD under it.

Standard platter drives are a thing of the past when installing a new C drive because of the speed and reliability of SSDs. This drive allows Symantec's Endpoint Protection to run much more quickly than a standard HDD. A startup scan only takes about 15 minutes now instead of an hour.

One word of advice...all manufacturers of SSDs say not to defragment your SSDs, so DON'T, you could mess up the FAT and maybe even the partition. Older versions of Windows cannot manage defrag of newer SSDs, just like DOS can't really manage CHKDSK real well on big regular drives of today either. So just don't use it on the Verbatim, or any other SSD. It's not necessary, really. Just make sure you format using NTFS file structure to allow maximum file packing management in Windows. I have not tried this drive under a 64 bit architecture. My review here is based on 32 bit only.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›