Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale

on October 4, 2013
Pros:

Absolutely silent, and makes good use of the FireWire 800 port, transferring files and close to peak possible speeds. And with USB 3 it'll get even faster when I put upgrade my computer to one with that port, so it was a good future-proof buying decision for me.

Cons:

I use this with my Mac, and at first I formatted it using the application Verbatim includes with the drive. Within a day I started experiencing bad file accesses, and Apple's Disk Utility warned me the drive needed to be reformatted.

In all fairness, I can't say for certain that the problem was caused by formatting with Verbatim's app, and sure enough I was able to copy all of the files off of it before reformatting again, so no harm no foul, just some time lost.

When it came time to reformat I used Apple's Disk Utility, and ever since this drive has been working like a champ.

Bottom line:

Given its silent and efficient performance I would recommend this drive, with the caveat that if you're using it on a Mac you may want to format it using Apple's Disk Utility rather than the included Verbatim app.
on July 15, 2012
I've had this hard drive for about 3 days and I haven't had any problems. It comes preloaded with Verbatim software, but I don't use it. Came partitioned as Fat32. It's fast as you would expect with FireWire and USB 3.0, however the cables that it came with are really short. The USB 3.0 cable is maybe 1 foot long and the FireWire about 3 feet, which is why I gave it 4 stars. Other than that I don't have any complaints, it's fast and has a lot of storage.
on September 25, 2014
Every drive I have owned has allowed you to "daisy chain" them together ... this does not. After buying three drives, I now find I cannot use them. Very disappointing, as this is not a difficult function. Information should specifically state that these cannot be chined together.
on July 12, 2015