Published on February 20, 2011 by mtnmedic

3.0 out of 5 stars Fatal Flaw - Keyboard Layout
It is what it is, and works so far. I mean, its a bluetooth keyboard and pairs with my iPad, and the keys I press make it to the device. Its small, though not as small as I'd like. Don't get me wrong, its small, and folded it fits in more places, bit its thicker than my ipad and you really need a bag for it.

The fatal flaw I mentioned in the title is the...
Published on July 7, 2011 by Aaron Horne

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best portable bluetooth keyboards out there. An exhaustive review., February 20, 2011
mtnmedic (Wasco County, OR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Verbatim Wireless Bluetooth Folding Keyboard - iPhone iPad (All), iPod Touch, Kindle Fire HD (All) Google Nexus, Samsung Galaxy, other Android Tablets, Piano Black 97537 (Personal Computers)
I'm trying this keyboard out with my iPad. I have the Apple wireless keyboard and I really like it. But I saw this keyboard at Fry's Electronics this afternoon and thought I'd give it a try. I hope you won't mind me comparing the two, as the Apple keyboard is the predominant bluetooth keyboard for iOS devices. One thing that inspired me to check it out is the fact that the Verbatim keyboard folds up into a small package (about the size of a really thin paperback book). I have a nice simple case for my iPad (it's actually a netbook case) with a slip pouch on one side. This keyboard, when folded up, fits very nicely into that pouch and only adds just under 1" of thickness to the whole thing,which is pretty good, considering the iPad itself isn't thick at all. As much as I love the Apple wireless keyboard, there's no way I'm going to be able to tote it around in this case, much less in a coat pocket or something like that. So this keyboard's ability to fold up for extra portability is a big plus. By the way, there is a sliding switch that locks the keyboard so that the two halves don't inadvertently flip inward while typing on a less-than-solid surface.

I do agree with prior review comments regarding the differently-sized keys that are on each side of the keyboard split (particularly the "G" key being 1/3rd smaller than the "H" key next to it and the "B" key being a 1/3rd smaller than the "V" key next to it). I'm sure there's a reason for this but...looking at the keyboard carefully I can't figure it out. But it does feel a little weird. For the most part, the keys are basically the same size as those on the Apple wireless keyboard, although they're all right next to each other as opposed to the spacing between the Apple keyboard's keys. Overall, the whole feel is like typing on a small netbook keyboard. I'm a touch typer and I do about 100 words per minute. This keyboard slows me down considerably with errors only because the key sizes and placement are a bit off from what I'm accustomed to. However, I expect that from a much smaller and more portable keyboard. It's just a matter of time and acclimation so I'm not terribly worried about it. It's an acceptable trade off as I can still, for the most part, touch type with relative ease. I noticed the top row of number keys and some special character keys are pretty small. They're half the size of the row of the small special function keys on the Apple wireless keyboard. They're just big enough to accommodate the touchpoint of a fingertip and that's it. That definitely will take some adjusting to, particularly for a touch typer with regard to numbers. But all of these smaller keys are for characters and functions you wouldn't very frequently use in the course of typing a document, so it appears at least some thought went into that with regard ot the small design. The "Del" (delete) key is all the way down on the lower left corner next to the "Ctrl" button. The "BS" button (backspace, though it would be cool to have a key that calls out bunk just when you need it to) is one of those really small keys at the top row of number keys and it's all the way in the right upper corner. However, it's the same reach with my right pinky finger as would be with the Apple wireless keyboard albeit it's small. There is a dedicated "Fn" (function) key that's totally useless for iOS devices (but would work for PC and Android devices?). There is a dedicted "Alt Gr" (aside form a dedicated "Alt" key) key but again, there really isn't any use for it with iOS devices, so one would assume they'd work with PC and Android devices. There are two "Menu" buttons, which, when used with certain other keys, create shortcuts for certain functions (outlined in the user manual). This means that instead of the usual PC keyboard's "Ctrl+A" for selecting all text, "Ctrl+C" for copy, "Ctrl+V" for pasting, etc., the "Menu" key is used instead of the "Ctrl" key for those functions. The biggest adjustment is the fact that there isn't a full spacebar. Instead, there are two smaller, rectangular "space" keyboards, one on each side of the keyboard split right about where your thumbs would rest. Other than that, the placement of the keys-in terms of characters-is the same as any other keyboard, for the most part. Just that the number, special character and command keys are all pretty small. The usual play/ff/rewind buttons and volume up/down buttons are there, though off to the side of the keyboard keys, which is pretty nice, actually. Unless there is a keyboard combination I'm not aware of, there isn't any way to adjust the iPad/iPhone screen brightness as you would using dedicated keys on the Apple wireless keyboard. That's really kind of a non-issue, though.

Most interesting, however: 1) There is a dedicated "home" (little white square with rounded corners) key as well as a "home" command button. They both do exactly what the "home" button on an iPad or iPhone would do, even bringing up the multitasking menu on a double-click or whatever you've set for the triple-click, which is pretty cool. As far as I know, the Apple Wireless Keyboard doesn't even have this feature. 2) There is a dedicated "@" key (in addition to the "@" as the upper case character on the "2" key as usual) on the bottom row right next to the "home" key, which is unique. 3) There is a little "keyboard" key at the upper right corner next to the backspace key. Raising an eyebrow, I pushed it and...voila! The iPad's on-screen virtual keyboard popped up! Very interesting, indeed! Apparently, this toggles enabling/disabling of the on-screen virtual keyboard. You see, one thing I've experienced with the Apple wireless keyboard is that as long as it's on, the iPad's on-screen keyboard is disabled and doesn't come up as usual. That means if I just want to use the on-screen keyboard to tap a few things, without the keyboard, I either have to turn off the Apple wireless keyboard or turn off bluetooth on the iPad, neither of are terribly convenient if you want to return to keyboard typing. That's solved by this keyboard's dedicated "keyboard" key. Pretty neat.

I had a "What the..." moment when I was looking for the included iPhone stand. I combed through the box, the included carrying case, etc. for this item and couldn't find it. Stupid me not reading the enclosed manual. Just before I would give up looking and consult the manual, I noticed an indentation along the top right leading edge of the keyboard. I put my thumb into that indentation and pushed out/up and...voila! The little iPhone stand popped out. Slick. A neat little feature. However, I don't have an iPhone but it would work with my EVO 4G. Sadly, it doesn't acommodate my iPad. Now THAT would've been sweet. But any iPad stand, no matter how small, requires greater bulk, size and/or heft that the one included in this keyboard. That would be an amazing feat of engineering to accomplish, given what little usable space there is inside the keyboard case. Sadly, I'll still have to carry around my portable iPad stand or prop the iPad up against something for now.

Bluetooth pairing is simple but the most important thing to remember is, after turning the keyboard on (which initially presents with a very rapid-blinking blue light), you have to use a pen point or paper clip to depress the "pairing" button that is recessed in a little hole (which slows the blue light blinking rate) in order to affect the pairing with an iOS device. No biggie. There is a sliding switch to turn the keyboard on/off. There is a low battery indicator light as well as a bluetooth connectivity light. The latter, for some people, can be annoying or distracting as it blinks once every eight seconds. The Apple wireless keyboard doesn't do this (it just has a tiny, steady burning "on" light). That's perhaps a very small complaint for some folks and I haven't formed an opinion on it one way or another, yet. The batteries are easily accessible and replacable. Stuff like this is handled differently on the Apple wireless keyboard but there really isn't any advantage to either. As far as battery life goes, I'm not sure what that is for this keyboard so. I'll have to check with the manufacturer as to what their rating of it is. I imagine it'd be a long time like the Apple wireless keyboard.

Size-wise, this keyboard is about 3/4" wider on each end, about 1.5" narrower (from top to bottom edges) and about twice as thick (not counting battery compartments on either keyboard) than the Apple wireless keyboard. In a confined area (for example, an airplane drop-down seatback tray), this keyboard takes up less space, which is important. The weight is about the same for both. As for construction, well, there is a signficant difference between the two. Apple's is mostly solid aluminum, just as the iPad's casing is, with some plastic backing and keys while the entireity of the Verbatim keyboard is medium-impact plastic (though it feels reasonably solid). As for the keys themselves, I truly prefer the flat, "chiclet" type used on the Apple wireless keyboard as opposed to the ones used on this keyboard that have downward-sloping edges, which are typical fare for most keyboards.

FOLDED dimensions are: 6-1/4" long, 4" wide, 3/4" thick

I have only three complaints about this device. 1) Because of the split in the middle of the keyboard, it creates a chasm between the keys straddling the split. That space sometimes creates a problem if my right or left index finger should dip low around the split: it snags the underside of a key's corner. It's happened several times. But then, that's the price of having a folding keyboard and requires a bit of discipline in finger placement and movement as well as wrist position when it comes to typing. 2) Most importantly, while this keyboard has little rubber feet on the underside to keep it from sliding around, it has NO flip-out feet on the underside that would lift the top edge off the table to a more comfortable typing angle. This is one thing I would certainly lobby Verbatim to put in the next generation of this keyboard. For the life of me, I can't figure why they didn't do this in the beginning. I understand there's a lot going on in the inside of the case, but the actual internal keyboard itself is pretty thin and I can't imagine there isn't just a little bit of space between it and the bottom of the casing to put in a couple of small hinged kick-out feet near the corners. Such feet wouldn't need to be very big or even adjustable: they just to be enough to give the keyboard SOME kind of angle instead of it laying completely flat, which can be uncomfortable for some folks. 3) The price. $80. Really? C'mon. That's $10 more than Apple's wireless keyboard, which is more robust, much nicer looking, well-designed (in terms of key size, type and placement), thinner and has a built-in means of angling from the table, albeit it's NOT folding. I can see spending $60 for this keyboard, but not $80. A "gotta HAVE it" price for this keyboard would be more in the neighbourhood of $40-$50 and I doubt it cost even THAT much to produce. However, this being such a new device (it JUST came out), it won't be long before the price comes down as competing models emerge and new versions of this keyboard are developed. The included carrying case is a nice touch but certainly not worth the price differential.

I have to admit, this first entry into keyboard hardware from Verbatim-a longtime data storage solutions company-is quite a remarkable one. It should prove to be a popular alternative to other bluetooth keyboards, especially ones that are designed to be portable (because they're really small and their keys are just ridiculously too small for any serious, long session typing. Trust me, I've tried a lot of them.). If you're looking for a truly portable keyboard that offers generously sized keys and some interesting features-particularly those geared for iOS devices, you owe it to yourself to check this one out.

By the way, I typed this entire review on my iPad using the Verbatim Wireless Mobile Keyboard. :-)

In all, if you're looking for a decent PORTABLE keyboard to take with your iOS device, Android phone or whatever, this is the one to get. Big points for its ability to fold in half yet provide you with generously-sized keys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Android Pairing Directions, June 2, 2011
I won't go into the pros and cons of this keyboard.

There are no directions for pairing with an Android device, so here are the steps:

In Android:
Turn on blue tooth.
Scan for devices.

Keyboard:
Turn on the keyboard.
Push the "Pair" button with a pen.

Android:
Select the keyboard.
It will ask for a 4 number password. Enter any 4 numbers.
Press OK

Keyboard:
Enter the same 4 number password you entered in Android.
Press Enter.

Also, this keyboard is nearly exactly the same as the "Freedom Pro Bluetooth Portable Folding Keyboard". It looks the same and has the same internal packaging. The only difference is that the Freedom keyboard has a switch to change from HID to SPP. From the directions, I gathered that SPP is for Blackberries. Also, the printing on the keys was different. Otherwise, they're twins. Oh, and the Freedom is thirty dollars more expensive. I bought both.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fatal Flaw - Keyboard Layout, July 7, 2011

The fatal flaw I mentioned in the title is the keyboard layout. Its sort of laid out like a standard keyboard, and they tried to make up for its size by making the letter keys larger and the number and function keys smaller. Even so, the relative positions are off slightly from a standard keyboard, and not all the letter keys are the same size. The V key for instance is twice as wide and the adjacent B key. The 1 key is centered of the W, not slightly to the left of the Q, that's where the escape key is on this one. Also the tiny backspace and tab buttons throw me off and I find I often am hitting keys I don't intend. I have only used it for a few hours, but I still haven't gotten used to it. I can't seem to keep my fingers over the keys I expect them to be over and I find that even if I watch my hands while I type, its still a bit cumbersome. I am very familiar with typing on a keyboard, so this isn't a user-related problem.

Bottom line is that I got this for the tactile feedback of a real keyboard while using my iPad and trying to avoid sacrificing the portability. The reality is, that it is easier to type on the iPad than on this keyboard.

If I find I get used to it, or if I find it so unusable that I decide to return it, I'll come back and post an update.

**UPDATE** 8/12/2011
I couldn't get used to it. I returned it.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so awesome!, September 22, 2011
Walter Victor (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I've read several reviews and looked for other alternatives before purchasing this item. I usually check more often the negative reviews, cause they tend to be true when there's some consistency on the reviews.

There was nothing very bad for this item, so I decided to give it a shot, given it's not a high investment.

From the moment I opened the package, I was happy with the product. The packaging has a good presentation. The product just made it even better. Great material, sturdy and the good attention to detail.

The item also comes with a little travel bag to protect it, which is a nice touch.

Now for the keyboard functionality, usability, etc....

The keyboard is a full keyboard with some changes to accommodate the portable design. Top and bottom keys are smaller than the middle ones, but adaptation is not that hard. I have small hands, so it's hard for me to tell how good/bad it is if you have big hands.

I've been using this with my iPad and the bluetooth connection is almost instant. It pairs very fast, especially after the first pairing.

One very cool thing about the keyboard is the integration with iPad media keys, like volume, preview/next, play/pause and also a button that corresponds to the home button on the iPad.

The keyboard is like a laptop keyboard as far as touch and feel goes. And once you start getting used to it, adaptability is definitely not hard, especially if you know how to type fast. You might have to slow down a bit at the beginning, but nothing that would compromise performance.

Also, I don't really consider it a downside in the product, because there's not really much more you can do with limited, compact space. That's why I chose a small keyboard in the first place!

So I'd say for me the only downside is that there's no rechargeable battery, something that could be charged via USB, like other bluetooth devices, such as headphones. But the battery life is supposed to be something along the lines of 3000 stand-by hours, so that's pretty decent. And I can use two AAA rechargeable batteries anyway, so that's fine.

Bottom line is, if you want a compact keyboard to use with your iPad/iPhone or smartwhatever, this is a really good choice. It will have some limitations due to the size, but that's a really good solution for a full keyboard in such a small device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad/iPhone, April 23, 2011
I wasn't sure which bluetooth keyboard to get for my new iPad 2. It seems like there are many more manufacturers and models now but very few reviews. I was looking for a portable keyboard to pair with my iPad and iPhone when I don't need to bring my MBP (i.e. on vacation or during grad classes).

I think this keyboard is very well designed for the iDevices because it incorporates the home button and the mac shortcuts. I agree with some of the reviews that there is a slight learning curve based on the different sized keys but still think this keyboard is great. The only challenge with the learning curve was with the number key's 1-3. They're shifted to the right to make space for the ESC and ~ keys. so you won't be able to use your left pinky or ring finger to hit them.

The build quality is fine and fairly sturdy. I'm a touch typist anyways so I didn't find any issues with the keyboard bouncing or flexing in anyway.

The keyboard is a good size when folded and the carry case is a nice addition to store it. There's also a tray that slides out and can be used as a stand for your iPhone or other smartphone. The pairing process is pretty easy but you do have to re-pair if you want to switch between iPad and iPhone. I think this would be the same case for any other bluetooth device.

Overall, I'm very happy with this purchase especially based on the price point of $67. It's even cheaper now so I just ordered another one as an early Father's Day gift for my Dad. If you're looking for a portable bluetooth keyboard, especially for iDevices, then don't hesitate to buy this.

I was also looking at the Macally, Zoom, and Targus keyboards but decided to give this one a try and I'm glad I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice keyboard that also works with Android, OS X, and Windows, February 20, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I don't own a single iOS device. No iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch. I wanted a small bluetooth keyboard and didn't even realize that this product was for iOS until it arrived at my house (trust me, I felt pretty stupid). Fearing that I might just be out of luck, I took a chance with what I do own - with great success!

This keyboard paired up with my Droid X, MacBook (running OS X 10.4), and my Windows XP laptop. It works quite well with all of them. It was a bit quirky with the MacBook when I tried it out with some keys being repeated three times, but sometimes my Apple bluetooth keyboard is that way, too.

While the Droid X has pretty good interfaces for entering text, such as Swype and speech-to-text, I wanted a keyboard for when I'm typing out longer e-mails and such. This keyboard works pretty well for that. I also run my MacBook and Windows laptop with external monitors and keyboards, so having one that I can use remotely is nice.

There are several pros to this keyboard, with the highlights listed below. There aren't many cons, but I want to highlight one here. The keys are not equally sized, and some in a strange way, IMO. As examples, the "H" and "V" keys are wider than others, and the "G" and ":" keys are slimmer. The space bar is also significantly more narrow than normal in order to fit more keys along the bottom. If you're a hunt-and-peck typist, this likely won't matter one bit to you. I've been a touch typist for decades, though, and I still haven't quite adjusted to this keyboard because some of the keys aren't where my brain expects them to be. I'm guessing that there's a good reason to make some wider and some more narrow, but I just can't figure it out.

Based on my experience, here are some pairing suggestions (maybe not needed, but they worked for me):
- Droid X (perhaps all Android phones): The instructions say that the keyboard needs to enter a pairing code that will be provided by the phone. With my Droid X, the phone asked me for a code to do the pairing as opposed to providing one to type in on the keyboard. So, I entered a four-digit code on the phone ("0000", I think), hit enter, then typed that same code on the keyboard and hit enter. Bam...all paired up.
- MacBook: If memory serves, this paired just like my Apple bluetooth keyboard, so I don't have any special instructions.
- Windows (at least XP): This wasn't flawless, but it might be my older laptop. The computer stated that the driver (that it found itself) wasn't Microsoft certified, but I told it to proceed anyway. The keyboard still didn't work, so I restarted the laptop and repaired the keyboard. Worked perfectly after that.

Pros:
- Pretty good touch feel to the keys.
- Built-in, removable holding tray for your mobile phone. I think that's one very cool feature. It will hold your phone at an angle (almost like a laptop screen) to make it easier to see while you type. It holds my Droid X in the horizontal position perfectly, but the Droid X is a bit too heavy for it to hold vertically. Please note that the stand won't hold the phone well if you just pull it out of the keyboard and use it - you need to lift the plastic face up and swing the metal bar around to hold that face up at an angle.
- Hard back shell makes it so that you don't need to set this on a hard surface to type (e.g. it's easy to use on your lap).
- Sliding lock keeps the keyboard from folding closed.
- Comes with a pretty nice carrying case.
- Batteries are included (it's the little things that count, right?).
- Nice looking and feeling outer surface. It's a fairly smooth and shiny black.

Cons (or at least things that I'd change):
- The key sizing that I mentioned above.
- The bright blue led that blinks periodically to let you know that it's connected. I figure if I can type, it's connected...so I don't want a light blinking at me all the time.
- There aren't any flip-up tabs that would put the keyboard at an angle when set on a flat surface (like most regular keyboards have). Not shocking that they aren't on this, but with all the other nice touches that Verbatim added to this keyboard, I would have liked to see these, too.
- I wish that the carrying case had a belt clip attachment so that I could carry it around next to my phone.

Overall, this is a pretty good portable keyboard that has some nice added touches. Value is subjective to all of us, but for me, this is a good value at about $30. For the current asking price of $80 (which I suspect will drop), I'd say get it only if you really need a portable bluetooth keyboard for your device(s). For around the house, there are other options that are less expensive with better ergonomics (such as the Apple wireless keyboard).

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good for the Price, May 19, 2011
I bought this keyboard to pair it up with my rooted Nook Color and my Droid X. After taking it out of the box, it only took about 5 minutes to get everything set up. I did have just a little bit of trouble getting the keyboard to pair AND connect until I realized that I had to enter the passcode on the keyboard as well. For anyone buying this for use on an Android device, what I had to do was make my Nook discoverable, then search for new devices. Once it found the keyboard, I entered the passcode 0000 on the Nook, hit enter on my device, then I just hit 0000 on the Verbatim keyboard and hit enter. It paired and connected with no problem. I followed the same procedure to connect to my Droid X. Also, as the instructions will say, you have to use a pen or something similar to press the indented button on the keyboard to make it discoverable to begin the whole process. I am satisfied with the keyboard so far. It is a bit large, but still portable, and some of the key sizes are a bit strange as others have said. However, as is the case with most of these keyboards, it just takes a bit of getting used to. By the way, if it matters to anyone, my Droid X is not rooted, and I am running CM7 off an SD card on my Nook Color.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent portable keyboard with a few caveats: Recommended, September 22, 2011
I am a long-time PDA owner and user--I go back to the Palm III. I have used a foldable keyboard for most of my PDA's, all of them being the Think Outside and its various re-branded ones.

This keyboard works great. It was easy to pair up with my iPod Touch 3G. It is a very responsive keyboard. Compared to the other foldable keyboards I've owned, it is not quite as large as a laptop keyboard, but it is still nice and has a similar feel to a laptop keyboard. I do agree with other reviewers that the smallness of the "B" key takes some getting used to.

Also, the left Shift key because of its position, takes getting used to. Going from left to right, there is the ?/ key, then the arrow up key, then the Shift key. I frequently hit the arrow key and as I am a touch typist, I see how it messes up with my document. If I were to redesign something, I would swap the Shift key and the arrow key. But I am getting used to that as well.

Construction seems to be of high quality. A great feature is that it locks together for transport and it has a lock for when you have it on your lap. I also really like the pull-out stand it comes with. I also like the auxiliary keys on the left side to operate the music. I also like the two Home keys that operate your device's Home key. There is no problem for the Enter or the Backspace key for me.

I really love how when you are typing and my Touch goes to sleep, it immediately wakes up when I start typing. So I never miss a beat taking class notes. I also like how simultaneously pressing the Ctrl or Menu key with the right or left arrow key puts my cursor at the beginning or the end of a line. Likewise, the combination of Alt plus a left or right arrow key puts my cursor at the next/previous word. Ctrl or Menu and the up or down arrows take me to the very beginning or end of a document. This keyboard plus Word in DocsToGo allows me to leave my laptop at home. Very, very slick.

They ship it with batteries. Nice touch. And it comes with a nice carrying case.

I highly recommend getting this keyboard. It is the cheapest here on Amazon.com.

***UPDATE 4/8/12

Well, I've been using this keyboard now for 6 months, now, and I love it even more. I've become used to the keyboard and it is a joy to use. I look for excuses now to use it. Again, I really like how I can leave my laptop at home altogether and just take my iPod Touch and this keyboard to school to take notes. In addition to creating Word documents, I also use the OneNote app to take notes. Works great. OneNote syncs to the cloud via Microsoft's Skydrive and when I get home, what I typed on the iPod Touch is now on my laptop. Using this keyboard has opened up a lot of possibilities. What else makes it great is that I can put it in one of my cargo pockets in my shorts and off I go to school with no backpack on some days. Still highly recommend this keyboard!

1.0 out of 5 stars Unless you can adapt to the keyboard layout, stay away!, April 17, 2013
I've been a typist for years and unless you watch your fingers while you type this keyboard is a nighmere. Everything else about the keyboard is fine. Nice size (folded), good size keyboard (opened), locks into position (though it's still a little wobbley), comes with a nice carrying case (though after spending about a good 1/2 hour trying it out I gave up and sent it back so I never used the case).

Here's what I didn't like about the keyboard:

They put the right shift key over one key to the right of the up arrow. So everytime I went to hit the shift key I hit the up arrow and found myself typing in the middle of the previous line. Tried to mentally overcome this but couldn't do it. Maybe some can.

Secondly the space bar key is split so the placement of your thumb is critical. I personally only use my right thumb on the shift key so it's smaller to hit. Also, because the keys are not raised above the edge of the keyboard (like in a normal PC keyboard) I would then hit the keyboard I wouldn't depress the spacebar hard enough to register a space. So my words were constantly running together. It took a deliberate effort to press the space bar. I also tried putting something under the front of the keyboard to elevate the back and give they keyboard an angle but this didn't really help.

So, those were the two issues I had. Sorry it didn't work out as I loved the size and portability. Hope you find this review helpful!

4.0 out of 5 stars Phone + keyboard = the shrinking computer, February 27, 2012
I use this keyboard with Cyanogenmod on an HTC phone.

GREAT THINGS:

* I quite like the hardware, the packaging and the slip out cellphone stand. The pairing with Cyanogenmod was straightforward.

* I touch type on Dvorak and this keyboard works quite well. There are a few oddities, but nothing that really hampered my typing. I might be biased as I use a netbook with a smaller keyboard as my main computer.

A few keys are different, but they seem like fair compromises for incorporating the folding advantage.

POTENTIAL IMPROVEMENTS:

* The mechanical response of the keys could be sharper. I prefer keys which have a good degree of travel, a nice impact and a stronger return spring than the Verbatim, more like the ASUS Eee netbooks. Again, this could be my user bias, but I really enjoy the Eee keyboard.

* The complete key layout is not picked up in Android and it behaves like a generic bluetooth qwerty keyboard. It seems that a lot of customization has gone in for iOS devices. Nonetheless, to get things started, I wonder if they can provide a keylist text file for setting up the keys on Android. It's really a dead simple file to provide on their part.

I used the following method to shift the layout to Dvorak [...] but I have none of the hotkeys mapped since I don't know the key codes for them. Having a sample keylist file would simplify life tremendously.

* The cell phone stand is a bit laid-back and doesn't hold my phone in portrait mode. The phone just falls down.

The stand holds the phone at a fairly laid-back angle, and I would prefer a more upright position. For now, I'm using a small wooden block to prop the stand up from one side and make it upright. In that position, my HTC Glacier / T-mobile MT4G can be supported in portrait mode.

* The folding locking notch could be designed better. It's a little fidgety and difficult to operate, but definitely not a dealbreaker.

CLOSING COMMENTS

My lifestyle sees me using a device (phone/netbook) for emails, IM, note taking, general browsing, RSS feeds and music. With this keyboard, I find a drastically reduced need to pull out my netbook.

This is a commendable step in the right direction towards portability and lower powered devices for leisure/communication, and having such keyboards really extends the usability of a smartphone. It feels great to have a desk on which the computer is not the center of attention. Just a phone on a stand with this keyboard will suffice for many activities. Leaves space on the table for thinking on paper, drawing and books. I kind of like that.

Of course, I still return to a big desktop for office work, coding and heavy-duty web-browsing. Thankfully, this keyboard is shrinking time spent staring at a machine.

Coupled with smartphones, I find this to be a good purchase. There is scope for lots of improvement to make it a great product and I really hope Verbatim could move in that direction. Though I really have no idea if people like me are a sizeable market.

My $0.02.