4.0 out of 5 stars Simple operation but bulb replacement is pricey
Customer Video Review     Length:: 4:03 Mins
Published 11 months ago by M. Erb

Published 10 months ago by J. Witmer

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple operation but bulb replacement is pricey, September 30, 2013
This review is from: Verilux VT20WW1 HappyLight Liberty Natural Spectrum Lamp, 10K Energy (Health and Beauty)
Length:: 4:03 Mins

The Verilux Happylight Natural Spectrum Energy Light (fluorescent) is the antidote to Seasonal Affective Disorder, or more simply the winter blues. It is basically a broad spectrum light that is similar to light from the sun. The photoreceptors in the eye are more stimulated with this type of light and the result is a generalized improvement in mood, energy and function for people affected by the lack of sun in the winter, or who experience a lack of sunlight in general no matter the season.

The lamp is lightweight and has a small footprint. It's operation is simple. Plug it in (6' polarized power cord) and turn it on. There are two intensity levels, low and high. There are also two different "lenses", a "comfort" lens that allows 5000 lux of light to pass through and the other lens is the "high energy" lens that allows 10000 lux of light to pass through. The lenses are changed very easily by using a coin or finger to remove the magnetically attached lens frame from the lamp body. The lenses simply slide in and out of the frame.

The light is meant to be no closer than 6" and no further than 24" away from your face for best effect. You don't want to look directly into the lamp. You should place the lamp slightly off-center. The user guide explains all of this in great detail.

The bulb is rated to last for 10000 hours which is a long time. But replacement bulbs are a bit on the pricey side should you need to replace the bulb. Bulb replacement is very easy and only requires the removal of two thumb screws.

This light is not meant to be used all day. Rather it is to be used from 30 minutes to 1 hour per day. It's not a light that everyone would need or benefit from, but if you are someone who is affected by the winter blues due to lack of natrual sunlight, this may help a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brightens my day, January 3, 2013
I bought this light directly from Verilux right when it came out. I've now had it awhile and I'm glad I bought it. I have a severe mood disorder that worsens in the winter, so on top of my medication and therapy, I bought this light to help with the lack of sunlight. My recommendation if you have this light and want it to work better is to make sure it's close enough, always use it on the higher setting, and replace the comfort lens with the high-energy lens. The comfort lens only lets out 5000 lux whereas the high-energy lens lets out 10,000 lux, and if you're paying good money for the brighter bulb, you might as well use it to its full capacity! Yes, it's bright, and initially it's annoying, but I grow used to the light now after a minute or two and forget it's there.

I typically use my light while on my computer for at least an hour in the early afternoon. They do say you're better off using it in the morning, but that doesn't work with my schedule so I do it later. I'd say do it as early as you can, and longer amounts of time are better than shorter. You have to experiment to find out how much time in front of the light you need. Since using this light, I feel a noticeably better, but more importantly, it helps with my sleep. I used to fall asleep on the train all the time and would nearly miss my stop, but I have more energy during the day and my mood is improved. I will say that I experience a mild withdrawal when I skip a day of my light and get a little agitated, which I believe indicates that the light does indeed have an impact on one's mood and it should help most people.

As for the construction of the light, it feels pretty sturdy to me. Overall, I'd say it's worth trying this light. It's a very safe and easy treatment for Depression and Seasonal Affective Disorder, and very cheap if you find it helps! Most of all, I find that it works!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good price, good light, November 14, 2012
So far so good with the Verilux Liberty.

The light is bright and simulates sunlight well; I liken turning it on to stepping out in to the sunlight without glasses after a week of cloudiness... it takes a second to get used to, but very easily settle in to using it. It's a very white and natural light, not yellowish, which I read on reviews of some others, nor the flourescent office-type lighting. It has a cover that softens the glow and puts out about 5,000 LUX, according to the paperwork, and using that cover means you may need to duplicate the amount of time you're in front of the light... without the cover it's about 10,000 LUX. It's my first light and after 20 minutes of use in the morning I do find myself a little more energized throughout the day- afternoons in the Northeast are usually tough this time of year, and I have already seen some slight improvement. I've has it 5 days. Amazon did a great job shipping- it was sent out the same day and arrived 2 days later, which AMazon said it would be.

4.0 out of 5 stars You will need to pretest this...Please read first paragraph for health information, November 6, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Well, I learn something new every day. I was surprised when I began reading the manual for the Verilux VT20WW1 HappylLight, & learned that it is recommended to perform a pretest to determine if you have a sensitivity to light treatment. I performed the test & am happy to report that I don't have a light sensitivity. The light also contains magnets. If you have a pacemaker, implantable defibrillator, insulin pump or other type of electro-mechanical device, or brain shunts that contain magnets, keep sufficient distance (about 6") between your device & the lamp.
A few more warnings: certain drugs might induce light sensitivity (e.g. anti-depressants) which may cause discomfort or hyperactivity. If you have a pre-existing eye condition, contact your doctor before using the HappyLight.

The city I live in usually has a LOT more cloudy days than sunny ones; however, ever since I received the Happylight, our city has had very nice weather which makes me happy, but also makes it difficult to test the light because...I've been happy! Now that the time has changed, I will have an opportunity to test the light & will update my review. The HappyLight will receive another test, the supreme test, when family members travel 1/2 way around the world. They will be experiencing so many time zone changes that jet lag will surely overtake them when they arrive back home. I will be waiting for their return & will have this light with me. I will update my review in a few months to let you know how/if this light helps with their jet lag. (I will be researching to learn how to use light therapy to lessen jet lag)
UPDATE: Trip has been postponed so I will update my review when the trip has been completed.

Natural Spectrum Light therapy has been proven to help reverse symptoms of the Winter Blues. Verilux VT20WW1 HappyLight fulfills the requirements needed to provide natural spectrum light therapy.

How to use:
The HappyLight needs to sit on a flat surface above, at or below eye level. It needs to be anywhere from 6" - 24" of your face. It might be necessary to use the light's tilt feature to receive the desired result. The HappyLight can be hung on a wall too. Don't look directly into the light. Your eyes must be open to achieve full benefit...no napping. Tinted glasses will reduce the light's effectiveness.

If you ever experience edginess or are over-stimulated, move the light farther away or reduce session times.

Summary:
The HappyLight features a choice between two lenses, a high/low switch & a tilt feature. The light provides up to 10,000 Lux of bright Natural Spectrum light with the high-energy lens & up to 5,000 LUX with the comfort lens. HappyLight can be used on a flat surface or hung on the wall. It includes an energy efficient 36 watt bulb that should last for 10,000 hours. an electronic ballast, Flicker Elimination Technology, no buzz operation & instant-on.

I'm giving it 4 stars right now. If it works for jet lag, and/or to improve my mood during the bleakness of winter, I'll add a star.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works for me..., January 11, 2013
Kim (Washington D.C.) - See all my reviews
This was my companion purchase to the Philips Wake up Light... the combination of the wake-up light and this "happy light" installed in my bathroom have made a huge (positive) difference in my attitude toward the dark days of winter. I've been using this for about 3 months now. I have it hanging on the wall next to where I put on my make-up in the bathroom, turn it on when I get into the shower (it lights up the room)... and it doubles as a nice makeup light to boot.

It really does help me feel more awake as I get ready for work, and my mood seems much better too. I loved it so much I bought a second one to put at my desk in my home office, so when I am working from home I can benefit from some "light therapy" on demand. I recommend this to anyone who gets down in the winter time, or has trouble getting going on winter mornings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Already in love with this light!, September 21, 2013
Quickbeam (Oconomowoc, WI USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was very lucky to get this full spectrum lamp through the Vine program and even luckier to get delivery on an incredibly gray and dreary weekend. Wisconsin careening towards winter is not a fun place to be.

Set up of this attractive lamp is a snap. I like the tilt features, the controls and the generous size of the light face. There are two lenses which are very easy to swap out. ( It is easier to change out the lens with the bezel down on a flat surface). There is also a low and a high setting.

Both my husband and I felt immediately energized with the light on in the room. I found the light terrific to knit by and he also commented that it made for excellent reading. In spite of our miserable weather we had a definite uplift in spirit.

I am looking forward to an extensive test of this lamp over the winter but right now we could not be more pleased. Highly recommended to those in northern latitudes who endure low light months.

Edited to add: we have now had this light for 2 weeks and use it every day. My husband noted that since we got the light he no longer has tension headaches. Not one. He previously had daily headaches. I believe this light has made a difference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light therapy works, September 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Let's face it, winters are difficult in colder climates unless you enjoy outdoor activities. It's dark out when you go to work and again when you get off. And to keep utility bills down, the shades are drawn to keep the cold out on days when I am at home. As I get older my tolerance for heat or cold is narrowing. Now I'm keeping the shades drawn in the summer to keep the heat out and staying indoors more often. So for a good chunk of the year I feel like I'm living in a cave and it definitely makes it more difficult to deal with my depression.

Years ago I got laid off during the winter and couldn't believe how much better I felt sitting in a corner by 2 windows, letting the sun hit me while reading a book. Even though I was jobless, I felt more relaxed. So I was thrilled when I got the chance to try this.

You get 4 different levels of light strength; 2 via a switch and 2 different covers. One cover allows for 5,000 LUX and the other 10,000. I'm still using the lower setting and cover, but building up on my time. The light is definitely more natural looking than a florescent bulb and it's more comfortable to read by.

The light does not have to be positioned straight at your face. It's probably better that you don't. It was directly in front of me for the first few days and it's awkward to do anything else and still keep it within 2 feet. You just need the brightness from the light to be within 2 feet of your eyes to get the benefit of it.

I'm writing this in the fall, so I'm still getting more sunlight than I will this winter. Can I claim to be happier and bouncing around with excess energy? Not quite. Yes, a little more energy and a tad more upbeat. The biggest thing I've noticed is that I'm more mellow about some things that I'd found extremely irritating before I started using this. I'm hoping all of these increase as the time and strength of light I use goes up. I expect if I started this in the winter when my depression is the strongest, the results would be a great deal more noticeable.

You can split up your time for multiple sessions during the day and you are still supposed to get the same results as getting an hour straight. What would make this type of item even better would be something smaller and more portable that maybe you could dangle from your neck so you could be mobile and do other things while getting the extra light.

Amended: Well it's February and I went for a couple of months without using it. Not because I was avoiding it, but because I got busy and forgot about it. When realizing how depressed and irritable I was and realized what the issue was, I got back to using it again. What a difference.

3.0 out of 5 stars just a bit too bright, you may want to consider a lesser strength in the Verilux brand, November 15, 2013
Light was just a bit too bright for me even on the lowest setting. (There are two settings available.) My doctor recommended the 10,000 lux settings but it was too much in combination with the overhead light in my office. There was a glare cover on the light that was nice. The on/off switch was on the front of the light, which is nice. An older happy light I had had the on/off switch on electric cord, which was awkward.

That being said I have a older model happy light (came in a twin-pack) that seems to work better for me. It's bright without being overwhelming so I have returned to using it, and I can tell the difference in my mood and energy the days I use it. I usually leave it on several hours since I have meetings and end up walking away from it for periods of time. I highly recommend the Verilux Happy Light brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars happy with the Happy Light!, December 20, 2012
I have used the larger happy light in the past but the new, smaller light is convenient and less intrusive on the desk. As always the full spectrum light helps "the winter blues" greatly

5.0 out of 5 stars Brighten up the rainy season, November 27, 2013
Ste (Eugene, OR USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've used a Philips goLITE for years and found it to be useful in the darker months and on overcast days, but the blue light isn't the best to work by, and the lamp itself is very small. This Verilux Happylight is amazing in size and performance. It emits a very pleasant white light that is bright yet soft. The GoLite feels like a chore to sit in front of for a half an hour, but this Verilux Happylight is fantastic to just leave on. I use it first thing in the morning while doing yoga, and again when I return to my desk. And it's great to turn it back on at low points throughout the day as needed. A lot of folks in the Pacific Northwest could benefit from this lamp!

Rate and Discover Movies