Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Version
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lori Mckenna Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Audio CD|Change

on June 7, 2008
Mark Ronson's a busy man. He's been producing for Amy Winehouse, Lily Allen and Robbie Williams, yet has still found time to focus on his own studio album.
Comprised of new versions of old classics, it's a very entertaining listen from back to front, featuring the likes of Amy Winehouse, Ol' Dirty Bastard, Daniel Merriweather and Kasabian, all helping Ronson put his considerably fresh and funky twist on familiar tunes.
Highlights include the late ODB rapping to the Britney Spears refix of Toxic, Winehouse making vast improvements on the original with 'Valerie' and Phantom Planet singing an uber cool version of Radiohead's 'Just'.
Impressively suited for a party play through, this is definitely one to pick up for the nearing summer months.
With "Version", super-producer Mark Ronson has set out to prove that pop voyeurism and experimentalism don't have to be bad things using his own unique re-interpretive style.
Hence, he has assembled an album of spectacular cover versions that deliver very alternative versions of modern classics from Coldplay, The Charlatans, Radiohead and The Smiths.
Some listeners will undoubtedly write it off almost instantly as disastrous. Others may take some convincing.
But for many, "Version" is a brave, bold, blast of an album that almost always gets things right.
Ronson, for his part, emerges as a musical artist of the highest calibre -a music innovator whose funk-strewn re-interpretations effortlessly place themselves on the right side of cool.
On the whole, "Version" is a cut above most cover version compilations, as well as a darn fine party album for the approaching summer season. It probably won't impress the die-hard cynics - but for those willing to open their minds, or anyone in search of some expert funk, it delivers the goods in style.
My picks: "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face", "Oh My God", "Valerie", "Pretty Green", "Amy", "Just" and "Toxic".
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon April 26, 2007
Mark Ronson is a UK DJ/producer, and on "Version", he takes other peoples songs, some hits, others obscure, and does his version. The general sound is rich in horns, set to a funky, danceable rhythm, and loads of guest artistes on vocals.

Lead off single, and #2 UK hit "Stop me" is a lovely remake of The Smiths' "Stop me if you think you've heard this one before" which segues into The Supremes' hit "You keep me hanging on" over Hip hop beats. It features the lovely vocals of Australian Daniel Merriweather

Amy Winehouse (whose brilliant "Back to black" album he produced) guests on the sunny Motown-like "Valerie", which was originally done by The Zutons.

Lily Allen (whose lovely album "Alright, Still" he also produced) guests on the retro funk sounding "Oh my God", a remake of the Kaiser Chiefs song.

Britney Spears' hit "Toxic" is slowed down and almost unrecognizable, featuring vocals by Tiggers and a rap by ODB.

The Maximo Park song "Apply some pressure" is given a slight ska feel, set to an almost marching beat. Vocals by Paul Smith.

Kasabian show up on a funky remake of their "L.S.F", while Coldplay's "God put a smile on your face" gets the big horn section treatment.

Robbie Williams (his "Rudebox" album was also produced by Mark) shows up on the Shaft-like remake of The Charlatans "The only one".

I like it!!!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon July 10, 2007
Mark Ronson is a DJ/producer, and on "Version", he takes other peoples songs, some hits, others obscure, and does his version using guest vocalists. The general sound is rich in horns, set to a funky, danceable rhythm, and loads of guest artistes on vocals. The album has already hit #2 in the UK.

Amy Winehouse (whose brilliant "Back to black" album he produced parts of) guests on the sunny Motown-like "Valerie", which was originally done by The Zutons.

Lily Allen (whose lovely album "Alright, Still" he also produced parts of) guests on the retro funk sounding "Oh my God", a remake of the Kaiser Chiefs song. It is currently in the UK top 20.

Kasabian show up on a funky remake of their "L.S.F", while Coldplay's "God put a smile on your face" is an instrumental which gets the big horn section treatment.

Robbie Williams (his "Rudebox" album was also part produced by Mark) shows up on the Shaft-like funky remake of The Charlatans "The only one".

I like it!!!
on March 1, 2008
With his smug smirk, his quirky accent (not quite British, not quite east coast American) and his irritating habit of dropping celebrity names into every interview I've certainly seen of him, Mark Ronson is a man I've found difficult to like.

But the producer & DJ to the stars (he played at Tom Cruise's wedding, apparently) makes darn good music, there's no running away from that. He was responsible for half of Amy Winehouse's Back to Black, produced a track on Lily Allen's Alright, Still and a track on Adele's 19, which I'm really getting into at the moment.

On this album - a selection of cover versions - he displays an incredible talent for musical reinterpretation. I've been resisting this album ever since it came out but eventually caved in. I'm so glad I did. I feel like I already own it anyway, as I know all the singles he's released from it so far (from the radio) and really love the innovative and thought provoking videos he put out to promote them.

The man is certainly eclectic, going over tunes by the likes of The Zutons, Coldplay, Radiohead, The Jam, Britney Spears, Kaiser Chiefs and Kasabian, just to name a few, and reinterpreting their music in ways that I personally find very difficult to categorise. It's good stuff though; modern with a hint of retro with some banging beats. My favourites include "Stop Me" featuring Daniel Merriweather, "Valerie" featuring Amy Winehouse and "Oh My God" featuring Lily Allen. They all sound much better on my system at home than they did on the radio or on MTV Base. His version of Coldplay's "God Put A Smile On Your Face" featuring The Daptone Horns (Ronson definitely loves his horns) is also really cool and currently being used on practically every reality/factual TV programme here, or so it seems, and I also enjoy "Amy" featuring Kenna and "LSF" featuring Kasabian. I thought I'd like "The Only One I Know" featuring Robbie Williams (Ronson is reported to be working on Williams' forthcoming album) but I didn't, no matter how hard I tried to. His version of Britney Spears' "Toxic" featuring Tiggers (and O.D.B.) is certainly hysterical if nothing else and I'm just starting to like his new single "Just", the old Radiohead song, which on here, features Phantom Planet.

The man's done good and has had a very good run. "Stop Me" made it to #2 on the UK Top 40, he won a producer of the year 2008 Grammy the other day for producing his portion of "Back To Black" and won best male 2008 Brit Award - the first time the award has been given to someone who didn't actually sing on the winning album - and "Valerie", which also made it to #2, is currently the longest reigning single in the UK Top 40. It's been there for 32 weeks and currently stands at #13. I think we'll be seeing and hearing more of Ronson in the years to come. I'm sure he'll grow on me eventually ;)
Mark Ronson has been around for a while but really skyrocketed up the "it" list after producing Lily Allen's "Alright, Still" and Amy Winehouse's "Back to Black" to stardom in 2006 (but released in the US in 07), so it didn't come as a surprise that he would put out another album (after 2003's Here Comes the Fuzz).

On "Versions" (14 tracks, 46 min.), Ronson continues the semi-throwback Motown/Stax sound he so aptly crafted for Allen and Whinehouse, only he applies it to covers of other artists, mostly with great result. The first half of the album is outstanding, After the instrumental opener, a cover of Coldplay's "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face", which features the fantastic Dapkins, Ronson calls on Lily Allen for a delightful version of the Kaiser Chiefs' "Oh My God". Even better is an almost unrecognizable version of Britney Spears' "Toxic", which is my book is miles better than the original. Amy Winehouse is called in on a terrific version of the Zutons' "Valerie" and Maximo Park's version of "Apply Some Pressure" ends a fabulous first half of the album, which I rate 4.5 Stars. After a short instrumental "Inversion", the second half starts, and it is intriguing but not as good. The Ryan Adams cover of "Amy" is a bit too close to the original, as is the Kasabian's cover of "L.S.F." I rate the second half of the album 3.5 stars.

In all, "Versions" is an enjoyable and fun album, no more, no less, with not much pretension other than to get people to move to the music, and of that, Mark Ronson does a great job.
on July 17, 2007
Mark Ronson's latest album could be one of the best albums that i have heard this summer. His fresh beats that he mixes with every track are unlike anything I have heard in a long time. Whether it's Coldplay, Amy Winehouse, Lily Allen or Kasabian each and every track has it's own flare. I went to a concert in Manhattan just last week and I am telling you his music is just as good if not better in person. I highly suggest buying this album!!!
on September 5, 2008
Mark Ronson is one of those Americans who can do no wrong in the UK at present - and this album shows why he won an award at the 2008 Brits. It is THE most perfect cover album, brilliantly executed with a great supporting cast, even the interludes are totally fitting and act as leads into the various stellar vocal tracks. As a Brit the standout tracks are Lily Allen covering the Kaiser Cheifs' "Oh My God", the much-troubled but supremely-talented Amy Winehouse on the The Zutons' "Valerie" and the lead single Daniel Merryweather's "Stop Me" medley. If you don't own this album, why not? Go and buy it immediately, you will not be disappointed. I just wish the label would do a DVD of the tracks as they too are superb. Top album from a top producer!
on December 15, 2007
I bought this cd for Amy Winehouse's cover of Valerie, Which is so ridiculously good. Looking at the track listing was Intriguing, but I wasn't sure if I would know many of the songs. The Coldplay cover by the Dap-tone horns is really cool, I feel like I'm in "Snatch" or another British caper movie when I hear it. I think this cd has a good range of different sounds on it, and I love the rebirth of 60's Motown style. I would recommend this for any Amy Winehouse fan, as well as fans of UK style Electronic/dance music. I might also recommend Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings too, her voice parallels Ms. Winehouse, but she has more experience, less drama, plus the horns are awesome
on August 17, 2008
Surprise package. I had only heard the Radiohead 'Just' cover once before and bought the album on spec. A great eclectic mix with a mix of horns, groove, soul and funk.
on April 5, 2008
I like this cd. The songs that are good are real good but over half of the cd is kind of "what the hell is this". But its a good cover album, its still a good buy.