When reading reviews on this product it is important to take note who the seller is. Please everyone mention who you bought it from. Why? There are some that are selling a similar product ... same processor, OS, and so on but is not quite what is pictured.

Published 24 months ago by An Engineer

1.0 out of 5 stars What is pictured is not what you get and terrible hardware
Published on November 30, 2012 by macuser

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars What is pictured is not what you get and terrible hardware, November 30, 2012
This review is from: 4GB Version Rikomagic MK802 III Dual Core Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Rockchip RK3066 1.6Ghz Cortex A9 (Black) (Electronics)
It says the product is called MK802 III and the pictures show the unit with that name on it. But what you get is something called the UG802. Apparently the same specs, so I guess it won't matter for most. Second, you don't get an HDMI cord, which is a hassle. If your TV is mounted to the wall or positioned some way that it's difficult to plug the unit in, then you're going to be spending $20 on an adapter. It's just ridiculous that the advertisement is so misleading and false.

I eventually plugged it into a smaller TV I had laying around, just to test it out. And it actually works great. I can use Chrome to browse the internet, and I can download any Android apps from the Play Store. It pretty much puts an android tablet on your TV screen, which is pretty cool. But a big issue that I and a lot of other people have had is the WiFi. The way the wireless antenna is setup, it gets terrible reception, so the unit needs to be close to the router.

UPDATE: After about two and a half weeks of use, I unplugged the cord from the Micro USB port, which is how the unit is powered, and the port/power supply just broke right off. You would think maybe I pulled too hard (even thought that should never be an issue), but no; it's just terrible hardware. I Googled the problem, and countless other users have experienced the same thing. They unplug the Micro USB cable, and the port comes out with it. I looked for a fix, but the only one I found is basically impossible to do, unless you're an expert at soldering. After spending a total of $100 on this unit, I'm left with something that's not even good enough to be a paper weight. What's even more disappointing is that the item is backed by Amazon! Yeah, never trusting that again.

My advice: Go with something else or at least a different seller or something. I've read the MK808 is an upgrade but it apparently doesn't work on all TVs and also has WiFi problems.

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT THE PRODUCT DESCRIBED, December 12, 2012
I did a lot of research before buying this item, and I finally decided that the MK802 III was the way to go, and what I recieved was an UG802 instead, like the other review said, no HDMI extensión cable... the worst part it was shipped overseas, is cheaper for me to buy another one than returning it

I know is the same processor but is really dissapointing to get a different thing that the one you ordered... mine was bought from T & S Online

4.0 out of 5 stars ok but note that different sellers are performing a little bait and switch, December 26, 2012

In my case I purchased this product from 'Suntactics' and it came from overseas and wasn't quite the product listed here, the differences were:
1. the molded case and markings were not the same as pictured
2. I did not get the HDMI extension cable pictured (thought I contacted Suntactics and they give me a discount to then buy one online)
3. the OS is the same version mentioned here

All in all it was still worth buying but note that when reading reviews the reason why they differ is because the sellers on this listing are selling a slightly different variation. Take this in consideration when making your purchase.

Happy Shopping!

UPDATE 1/2/2013: I had a few weeks to use the Rikomagic and I found some things were a little quirky. It seems the WiFi doesn't have the range that it should. Thought I like the concept so much for my living room TV as a TV/PC that I wanted to buy another. This time I tried a different version and like it much more ... I got this one:

MK808 Dual Core Android 4.1 TV BOX Rockchip RK3066 Cortex-A9 Mini PC Smart TV Stick

Why do I like the 'Mini PC Smart TV Stick' better?
1) it has better WiFi performance
2) I don't need a hub as it has two USB ports built in. I use one for a keyboard and one for a USB to Ethernet adapter
3) it seems to have a little better performance. I cannot put my finger as to exactly why as it has the same processor and the same amount of RAM
4) it does have twice the storage at 8GB

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product for Making a Smart TV, November 24, 2012
I used this product to upgrade an older Sony flat screen TV to a "smart TV". I was able to use this instead of hooking up my PC to the TV. Video is good and I can check email, browse the net and stream video and download and stream MP3 as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars UG802 instead of MK802, December 29, 2012
As others have stated, I received the Chinese knockoff version of the Rikomagic MK802 III. It had several chinese programs pre-installed along with other seemingly random programs that were not on my friend's authentic Rikomagic. I purchased from T&S Online and they accepted my return with no issue, so I can't complain about that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sucks!, November 9, 2013
Not sure if this is the real Rikomagic... Cheap for a reason. Wireless sucks, drop connections very easily. if you launch any app, it crash after a while

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy, September 29, 2013
Worked for 10 minutes then stopped working. Won't get past the startup screen. I would probably not buy this or get a newer version

5.0 out of 5 stars Good as described, September 11, 2013
Working just fine with fullHD 1080p videos, except the real resolution supported is att HD720p.
But with the price, that's a good deal!

1.0 out of 5 stars mini computer, August 17, 2013
Cool.. this is an interesting little Android product. It works as described and the price is very reasonable. Not a powerhouse but with micro SD it is easy to load videos.

2.0 out of 5 stars Work fine for a few weeks, July 30, 2013
Sergio Ysasis (Rhode Island, Usa) - See all my reviews
I'm buy 2 device of this products.

One sent to my daughter. Its working fine for a few weeks, great video quality, internet browser faster internet connectivity Bluetooth share apps and more, all setting is possible, But a few weeks after setting its go. Its only star and show google logo and no run no respond its died.

Second one: Save for me. Install on my led 42" Lg smart I thinks is the great combination device but im wrong. a few meter to wifi router the signal coming up and down, have a Cisco router 1 GB my other device are connect normal but its not.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›