Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: NEW Version Ultra-thin Quad-band Watch Mobile Phone FM/MP3/MP4 2M Camera
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on October 9, 2010
As the fourth user of this product in the whole world (based on the total number of reviews published), let me start by saying how odd I feel being the first kid on my block when it comes to owning a real Dick Tracy watch. Having a cool gadget on my person is very atypical for me. I'm a classic late adopter (cheapskate). But I've always liked the idea of a gadget that plays MP3s, tells time and makes calls. The camera, voice recorder, calculator etc. clinched the sale. Does anyone recall the watch OS MS was developing years back? That was exciting. Anyway, the reaction I've been getting to this thing is "wow, that's neat!" versus "man, you're such a loser!"

Basic observations along 4 lines: cost/value, form/fit, convenience and usability.

Cost/value: I paid nearly $200 on Amazon. That's what happens when you get excited and reach for your credit card. I later saw it for sale for $110. Is it what I wanted? No, not really. I wanted a watch phone that would allow me to leave leave the house with empty pockets. Unfortunately, the logistics of bluetooth, combined with severe battery life issues, relegates this to the "phone backup" and "gee-whiz" bucket. Is there a lot of value here? Yup. This gadget truly works as a worldwide phone, takes pictures and plays MP3s... for as long as the battery holds out. Despite several flaws, I would buy this product again at the price I paid.

Form/fit: I have small wrists, and the rubberized watch band is no problem (gets a little sweaty). You can shut off the sci-fi blue backlight on the keypad, allowing the socially astute among us to pretend nothing weird is going on and that they're just into tacky sports watches. As expected, the keyboard was designed for a chipmunk. But by growing my thumbnail a bit long, I am able to navigate it with considerable difficulty. The only change I would suggest is to the up-down-right-left keys that flank the selct button; I would widen the "up" key a little - it's narrow almost to the point of being unusable. Beyond this, there are no serious ergonomics issues. As other reviews have pointed out, the watch must be paired with a bluetooth headset. I splurged and bought the Plantronics stereo one - truly a thing of beauty. And happily, the watch ships with a chintzy little bluetooth earpiece which I will use as a spare.

Convenience: miniscule battery life kills this product. Ideally, you wouldn't have to charge your phone away from home. Here, you get a total of 6 hours life from both batteries - carrying the USB charger is a necessity. Power-off is not exactly elegant: the watch announces: "Low Battery - Shutting Down!" and 3 seconds later you're looking at a dead watch. Oddly, a fully charged spare battery is little help; it may show full power but only last 2 hours. Apart from the awful battery situation, day-to-day use of the device isn't bad. I miss calls while fumbling to put on my bluetooth headset, but that's my issue to work out.

Usability: I wish there were a "vibrate" mode instead of a noisy little midi when a call comes in. My shirt sleeve sometimes initates a phone call on its own - a one-touch keyboard lock feature would be nice.I wanted the ability to control what comes up when I press one of the up-down-right-left buttons. I wanted to use my bluetooth headset for FM radio. I wanted a slideshow option for photos (the touch screen comes close to this). And I wanted some basic MP3 player functions, like "random". But in light of the camera and everything else, some of these are nits. The most unhappy thing is the text input SW they chose: typing in any langauge is painful (I am a chinese linguist and sad to say, pinyin input is a nightmare - and from a chinese manufacturer!) A standard SMS message will have you switching from English caps to English lower case to number input to symbol input...and every time you change, your will scroll endlessly through french, german, italian, arabic etc.

One final comment: my refusal to read any sort of printed product documentation is vindicated here. The manual is totally useless - the information is wrong, missing or misleading to a laughable extent. I very nearly destroyed the watch by following the instructions for removing the battery. I was also unhappy that there is no mention of customer support anywhere at all in the product. If something went functionally wrong with the product today, I still would have absolutely no idea how to get in touch with the manufacturer.

But we're hardy souls, breaking new ground. And for all these cool features, the price is right - so I hope this review doesn't come across as too harsh. I say again: I like what I bought, and it exceeded my price-performance expectations. Yes, it is handicapped in a couple of areas. But overall, my sincere kudos to the product manager in charge of this thing. It's a game-changing product, primarily due to the low price tag, but also in large part to the long list of technologies stuffed into it. Congratulations on a very reasonable contender in this fascinating product category. If you like the idea of a general all-in-one device, and aren't too hung up on reliability and usability, go for it!
55 comments|107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2012
ok, I want to say first that I like the watch and find it pretty comforatable on my wrist ( medium sized ) and it's not too heavy. The watch functions all work fine and the phone functions works fine as well. So, my only complaint so far is that the watch will just randomly shut itself off... It is annoying and it shouldn't do that...but I can live with it I guess. So, for grins I removed the batter to see if the contact pins were losing contact and they didn't seem to be loose or having any issues. I then tried to power the phone on without the battery and the phone turned on.... HUH? I guess there is an internal battery on this phone that I didn't know about...and come to find out that the external battery pack didn't work due to a broken wire. I can remove the battery while the phone is on and the battery icon will show the same amount of charge no matter if the battery is in or out.

Phone function is descent and the speaker phone works great if you don't have it too loud... then the caller on the other end will hear their own voice.

Video/camera function is ok for what it is and the better the lighting, the better the video/picture quality.

PM4 player works well after figuring out the software that is on the watch. I used the 3pg format and you have to use the 177 x 144 setting in order to get the videos to work properly. There is an option ot use MP4, AVI, 3GP for you video format.

MP3 player works well either through the speaker or you can use the included bluetooth headset. File transer is easy once you plugged your watch into the usb jack on your computer. Just drag and drop files into the appropriate folder and you are good to go.

I would of given this product 5 stars if it didn't turn itself off every once and a while and knew that the batter pack actually works as a battery.

UPDATE 6/11/12

sometime around the 1st week of June the watch just up and died on me. It was working around 6am and by 9 am it was gone. I just figured it was a dead battery and I went to charge it up and.....nothing. It wouldn't even try to charge the battery. $150 gone in 3 months.... and I bougth another one to replace it...let's see if the second one will last longer than the first. I really liked the watch, just hope I don't get burned a second time.
on March 31, 2011
This is one of my first reviews - but the product sure deserves a review - so here goes:

I tried it out for quite some time now trying to get the most out of the battery life since that is the only drawback the phone has. So i prepared a few numbers for you guys so you can decide based on those numbers.

Standby (no bluetooth): ~ 2 days and more
Standby (bluetooth): ~ 2 days MAX (more like 1 1/2 day)
Full battery - music playtime (BT): ~ only about 2 1/2 hours
Full battery - talk-time (BT): ~ about 2 hours as well

With numbers like that you can imagine that you can only use the phone for about a day if you really use it (as mp3 player in a train...for talking to your friends...using it like a mobile phone really).

So even though you get 2 batteries you would have to charge them BOTH every night so you don't have to fear that your phone dies after half a day and you wont be able to reach anybody.

The phone is great dont get me wrong there - it's just the battery life that kills the fun kinda. Maybe you can use/buy a batterypack for USB to enhance the battery life.

Hope the review helped. Drop a comment if you wanna know more
22 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2011
This watch was definitely a topic of conversation for all of my friends. However when it stopped working you could still talk about it just not through it. A true testament to Chinese engineering and quality standards. Stay away from this one.
on May 1, 2011
In two words, Battery Life. Every thing else is good. Battery life stinks. Also would be nice to have computer software to manage phone list and access to rest of phone's features. Still get people crowding around me to look at it in college. Its neat, guess we have to wait for new battery technology to come along for this to be a great idea.
on April 25, 2010
The video player runs as smooth as a dvd. Can entertain my kids with cartoons I download. GREAT!
on February 6, 2011
I got the GD910 because I am really tired of buying belt clip holders for my cell phone. I have broken six of them and as the phone design continue to change, finding replacements is getting harder. So I reviewed a lot of alternatives and the GD910 for the price and capabilities was a logical choice.

The GD910 cellphone watch is a GSM (Global System for Mobile Communication). It should work in nearly every country in the world without swapping out your SIM card. There are US carriers who do not support GSM, unless you pay an additional fee. I have had Verizon since they were Air Touch, and they do not support this phone without purchasing additional service. Verizon purchased Alltel a GSM service and changed their own service to be CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) which is a regional cell phone service.

Now back to the phone. It is a pretty cool device. The watch screen is a little bit UGLY, ok a whole lot UGLY, but it functions. The manual that comes with the phone is of little use, but you can download a readable version from the "Light-in-the-Box" web site. The Wired stereo earphones with built-in MIC and clip is very fragile at the point it inserts into the cell phone watch and it a few inches too short to be comfortable for extended ware. My headset arrived broken. I am in contact with the vendor to provide a replacement for the Wired stereo earphones with built-in MIC and clip without me having to return the entire product.

I have found that the GD910 Cell Phone Watch works flawlessly with a CONSUMER CELL service. They sent me an activated SIM card, I installed it and the phone started working. With CONSUMER CELL service the GD910 works all over the US, in Canada, in Mexico and all over Europe and anywhere else where Global cell phone service is available.

The key pad is a little difficult to type on, but once the oddities are learned, you can get by. The contact system leaves a LOT to be desired. The voice is a mechanical generation that is sometimes annoying. The Home entry has a HOME, MOBILE, BUSINESS, etc, entries, where other cell phone systems only have home number. You really don't need anything but a HOME NUMBER for your HOME entry.

The Bluetooth feature works very well and pairs very easily. I have many Bluetooth devices, but I have a Emerson Bluetooth device that works without any problem. The Emerson goes into sleep mode and must be reactivated by pushing the button twice, but the phone recognizes it quickly.

Like a few others I purchased this phone directly from the manufacturer at a substantially lower price. That makes the phone well worth the price. Other then the obvious language differences and the fragile head set connection, I have really no negatives to say about the GD910 or the Light-in-the-Box provider.

I considered five stars, BUT there are the problems with the fragile Wired stereo earphones with built-in MIC and clip, the rather odd Voice Response system, and the really poor manual that comes with the phone, so I could not justify the highest rating.
on November 3, 2010
I bought this product as a matter of convenience so I would not have to walk around with 2 cell phones. The product was shipped and received quickly and in good condition. It does everything it says it does, however, there are some issues had I known about before, would have affected my decision to purchase. 1) the battery life is not long enough to last through the whole day. After all, it is a small battery and the phone with all its features commands alot of power. You're good probably for about 3 hrs max and that is NOT continuous talk time. 2)If you plan on texting, don't bother buying this item. Apart from needing 20/20 vision and small fingers to see and operate the small keypad/buttons, one hand now becomes useless to help type because you're wearing the watch on it. 3) The phone shuts down and reboots on it's own whenever it feels like it.....and with that sometimes all your personal settings are reverted back to default settings. And last but not least 5) Users will need to use a bluetooth headset with this unit as the speaker and mic on it does not do justice. The speaker makes it very hard to hear the person on the other side. Oh and if you plan on buying this, I hope you have very large hands. ;-)
on January 16, 2012
Videos and pictures taken with this unit are of such low quality that it is a waste to even try. The battery barely lasts 4 hours of reasonable use. It is useful as a phone and the call quality is decent. No complaints from anyone that they could not understand me. Do not rely on the built in speaker. One should use a blue tooth device. It does not recognize all blue tooth devices though. I am on T-Mobile and it worked right away.
The FM radio is decent but requires a proprietary head phone connection. It does not use a standard micro USB port so if you lose the USB cable that comes with it you will have a non functioning conversation piece. It takes micro SD cards up to 4GB. It did not appear to recognize a 16GB card I tried. It says it plays MP4, but I could not get it to work. It did play MP3's.
If the battery lasted a day (12 hours) and took decent pictures and had a standard micro USB connection I would recommend it. At this point it is only an interesting curiosity.
Forget about contacting the company that either makes or distributes it in the U.S. There is no physical address, e-mail address or phone number so if you need assistance or a replacement USB cable you are out of luck.
on November 4, 2012
I received the item and traveled out of USA.
Charger is not working as I recived first battery dead and second died after 10 minutes.
tried to charge it with no luck. Not sure if it is the USB or Charger problem.
at the end I paid for it and never used from start.
Tried to call the company, they said must go back thru amazon and in case I wanted to return it.
It will cost more than cost to replace it.....SO , I buy it again.
Really bad product.