Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 23, 2009 8:38:59 AM PDT
I'd be interested in hearing from readers who could compare this biography to David Herbert Donald's of about a decade ago. Differences in emphasis, style, or analysis? One better than the other?

Posted on May 24, 2009 11:25:02 AM PDT
Paxton says:
Downloaded it a while ago when it was a reasonable $9.99. Now the Kindle price is outrageous. Plus, he turned OFF the text-to-speech feature, so the visually-impaired will be out of luck. I would not buy it now for either of those two reasons.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2009 5:00:41 PM PDT
I'm debating between "A. Lincoln" and Donald's "Lincoln" too. Have you reached any conclusions on which you found more interesting?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2009 1:37:57 PM PDT
I believe White is a more facile writer than Donald, but the latter is far superior in research, particularly about Lincoln's early life. An equally reliable chronicler of Lincoln is Douglas Wilson who together with an associate has gathered the research of Billy Herndon in a book titled Herndon's Informants. Wilson has also written Honor's Voice about Lincoln's early life. It is good to keep in mind that much of what we know about his early life was written by people through the prism of his Presidency.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Apr 23, 2009
Latest post:  Jul 11, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A. Lincoln: A Biography
A. Lincoln: A Biography by Ronald C. White (Paperback - May 4, 2010)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (164)