5.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas, Very doable, Very thorough
Howdy, I garden..too much some say... close to 2 acres of intensive vegetable beds in Vietnam, so I'm always growing 12 months a year
I own just about every gardening book amazon sells, Most books are good for a few Ideas and that's fine
Published on May 5, 2011 by C. Fowlkes

2.0 out of 5 stars General advice but little specifics of vertical structures
Published on May 31, 2011 by J. L. Maurer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas, Very doable, Very thorough, May 5, 2011
This review is from: Vertical Gardening: Grow Up, Not Out, for More Vegetables and Flowers in Much Less Space (Paperback)
but this book goes into great detail on vertical gardening with some very thorough explanations for vegetables and flowers and many different ways to go about it.
He also gives an honest interpretation of heirlooms and hybrids seeds, I love heirlooms but hybrids get an unnecessary bad rap these days from misinformation.
the author clears that up nicely, he also mentions some varieties that have worked very well for him(Always appreciated)That along with a new Compost tea recipe that I've never seen anywhere else and won't have you going nuts trying to find the ingredients as well as Some very Good and NEW info makes this an easy 5 stars, I'll be changing existing beds and putting up new vertical Beds from the info provided in this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars General advice but little specifics of vertical structures, May 31, 2011
I expected this book to focus on making/buying and using vertical structures in the garden, and was disappointed. Only 30 pages or so cover vertical structures, there are no details for making your own, and most of the ideas were familiar ones. Much of the book covers general gardening topics, like seed starting and compost-making, at a VERY superficial level. There is a good section about which types of plants and varieties grow vertically. This might be a decent book for an absolute beginning gardener who is limited to a small space and currently knows very little about gardening or plants' growing habits. Given the disconnect between my expectations and the actual contents, I returned the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice book for the intermediate level gardener, September 25, 2011
I've been a home gardener for several years now and I've read lots of gardening books. Most of the books I read now seem to tread over the same info I've already read or discovered on my own. They all seem to be designed for a beginning gardener who needs to know the most basic info about gardening. I still read these books because I like reading about gardening and looking at pictures of plants. This book actually seems to be well thought out and have tips and tricks for an intermediate level gardener. The focus is on vertical gardening, but it has lots of other content too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good innovative book., May 3, 2011
The book gives some very good information for gardeners. The author does not give too many specifications and measurements for building some of the equipment, which would help in building your own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Earnest, straightforward and helpful, May 28, 2011
This is a good, interesting resource. However, don't expect a riveting read. It is just a Puritan-ethical serious as you might think. The illustrations tend to look a little ramshackle (i.e. the neighbors would b!tch), but the principles are great and could easily be used in dressier, more neighbor-friendly ways. There are some pretty unsubtle pitches for the author's own hardscape products, which was a little bit offputting, but on the whole this is a good idea book. After all, no one is ever going to write a book about how best to use my specific garden in my particular neighborhood! I would say this is a better book for promoting thoughts about vertical gardening than for adoptng as verbatim recommendations, but after all, creativity is the fun part of gardening! I do feel that I need to say that if anyone is considering purchasing it specifically for information about the potato-tomato plant as I did, it isn't the book you want; the idea here is growing one up and one down to support each other, not to grow a fantastically useful hybrid.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the perfect book for the beginning gardener who wants to know about vertical gardening ..., March 6, 2012
Everyone who has a yearly garden has attempted pole beans at one time or another, but seldom thinks about the possibility of trying the same thing with spaghetti squash ('vegetable spaghetti'). Derek Fell rates this particular squash "as one of the easiest vegetables to grow vertically from seed," and, if you are selling your produce, one of the more profitable. This book by no means attempts to guide one or give plans as to how to make trellises or other vertical gardening accessories such as arches. These items are commonly sold in gardening supply stores or even at your local hardware store. If you are interested in making them, you need to look elsewhere. This book is all about Fell's experience with vertical gardening, one in which he shares his tried and true methods with us.

Once I got the drift of what this book was and was not about, I was amazed at the amount of information tucked inside these pages. Yes, trellises and arches are discussed. I learned where to best incorporate them in my garden and what plants grow best on them. For example, "simple arches are ideal to support quick-growing annuals like ornamental gourds and morning glories, but you should not use them for aggressive vines like wisteria." A brief textual and visual lesson shows you how vines actually climb, something you'll definitely want to be aware of when you go vertical. Planters and supports systems include bamboo supports, builder's wire, Cascade Gardens adjustable-height trellis, chain link and other fence supports, a fan trellis, bag gardening, plastic pouches, upside-down planters, trellis netting, maypoles, obelisks, and more.

The center section of this book is one of those dream sections with full-color photographs. There are numerous , very informative line drawings that will give you a lot of information to work with. Once again, there are no plans, but you will get the idea of what you want by browsing them. For example, in the composting section you can take a look at three different types of composting bins and commercial. If you really want a good one you could spring for the Tumbleweed Rotating Compost Bin (not mentioned in this book, but highly recommended).

No, this book would probably not appeal to the seasoned pro, but for those who want a basic introduction it's a perfect starter. Rodale books don't tend to cater to the pros, but rather to those who need basic information or, in this case, could be armchair gardeners. In the back of the book is a clear, concise index and "reputable garden suppliers" that can be found on the Internet. Pros can steer clear, but for beginners this book is a winner!

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, considering the format limitations. (Kindle), September 28, 2011
Mr. Fell's book is pretty comprehensive for a beginning gardener. He covers most of my questions regarding the "How", if not the "Why". I'm adequate at jackleg carpentry and plumbing - at least enough to figure out how to make most of the stuff he describes. My problem is that sometimes he seems to confuse things due to inadequate proof-reading. In addition, his home stomping grounds (New England and Florida) leave a vacuum in the information for anyone living in "Fly Over Country" - which is perhaps 2/3's of the continental United States.

My other complaint has more to do with the medium than Mr. Fell, per se. Kindle is quite limited in providing a means to emphasize words, chapter headings, etc. Mr. Fell chose to use the "Lighter Ink" method. Bad choice. The print does not appear against a white background, but rather more of a medium gray background. "Light Ink" tends to disappear due to lack of contrast. This is especially true for the information associated with his photos and drawings - much of which becomes illegible. He would be better off to use "Dark Ink" and provide no emphasis at all - at least the basic information would be available without the need to "study" the groups of letters for some time to identify them.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed in fl, March 2, 2012
Would probably be a good book for those who don't garden at all, but as a more seasoned gardener and avid web researcher, I found the book fell short and most info could have been found on the internet. Probably good if you want a one-source book to keep on the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my view of growing food, December 12, 2011
I really enjoyed this book. I've been using The Square Foot Gardening techniques and I can't wait to combine the two methods. My husband and I are building a whole new garden area to grow "up". There is a lot of information and the book is well written. I borrowed this book but I'm buying it so I can keep it for a reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite garden books., January 22, 2013
I am an experienced gardener yet I still enjoyed this book. For years I tilled and worked the ground which was very hard work. I became disabled and am no longer able to garden that way, so my sons put in several raised beds for me. I did pretty good the first year but didn't have near the space from previous years gardening in ground so I got less produce. The following year I bought this book for ideas and ways to garden better with my raised beds. I loved this book and got many helpful ideas from it. My produce tripled from the year before. It covers many topics on gardening and is well written. It also has several picture illustrations throughout. Last year I also expanded my garden to include several types of containers based on some ideas from this book. I highly recommend this book for anyone that has little space or raised beds.

$23.99 $17.63