5.0 out of 5 stars Rhino Records does it again!!
There is a lot more to Ben E. King than just his seemingly one hit wonder "Stand By Me". Of the many collections of Ben E. King, this one from Rhino is the best one.

Published on March 24, 2006 by Rykre

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed
CD arrived in good condition. I guess my memory of Ben King's performances overshadowed my choice of this CD. It was less than I expected, but the choice was mine.
Published 23 months ago by Robert W. Tribble

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Rhino Records does it again!!, March 24, 2006
Rykre "The Rogue Scholar" (of the vast Western Dystopian Wasteland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Very Best of Ben E King (Audio CD)

I'll admit, I wasn't expecting much more than just a great remastered recording of "Stand By Me", and "I (Who Have Nothing)". This collection even jumped to the seventies and included Ben E. King's (probably forgotten), Top Ten Hit "Supernatural Thing". I cherished the radio religiously during the early to mid seventies, so having this one Ben E. King seventies hit is a real treat. (It was also in Rhino's "Didn't it Blow Your Mind: Super Hits of the 1970's" collection.)

But, what makes this "Very Best of Ben E. King" collection so much better is that it includes Ben's first few hits with The Drifters before he went solo. Plus, if you didn't know, Ben E. King recorded the original hits of "Spanish Harlem" and "Don't Play that Song (You Lied)", later made into bigger hits by Aretha Franklin.

Some of Ben's more crooner styled recordings were his songs "On the Horizon" and "Amor" which became my most favorite songs on this CD. However, I could do without "How Can I Forget".

Rhino Records, once again, proves to be the leader in releasing the best, "Best of..." CD collections.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ex-Drifters lead singer made great solo music, March 15, 2005
This review is from: Very Best of Ben E King (Audio CD)
Born Benjamin Earl Nelson but known as Ben E King by the time he achieved fame as lead singer of the Drifters, Ben did not have many big solo hits but he nevertheless made an important contribution to popular music.

This compilation begins with five of his American hits as lead singer of the Drifters. All five are brilliant but the most famous is Save the last dance for me, which has been recorded by a multitude of singers in several different styles of music. It has also been translated into several languages and many great covers have been recorded in France, Germany and elsewhere.

Following the success of Save the last dance for me, Ben opted for a solo career. He had fewer hits as a solo artist than his former group had without him, but Stand by me (later to become the theme song of an eighties movie) ensures his place in pop music history as a solo singer, while his other great solo records include Spanish Harlem, Amor, Don't play that song and I who have nothing. Ben made a brief comeback in the American charts with Supernatural thing in the mid-seventies. Ben's first (minor) UK hit, First taste of love, is missing but although I'd like it to have been included, it's not essential.

This is a wonderful compilation that contains all the important tracks from Ben's career, whether as a Drifter or solo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best singer of all time..., April 20, 2005
WeezyBoPeep (RUSTIC NORTHERN MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Very Best of Ben E King (Audio CD)
This is one compilation that really gets the essentials to you and doesn't overdo the Drifters material. Ben E. King was such a gifted singer that in my opinion, he has still yet to be equalled. But ask someone to name some great singers and you may not hear his name. Pick up this album: a wonderful mix of r&b, soul, and country. Pure class from one of the greats.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ben E. King's superlative baritone voice, September 5, 2011
Matthew G. Sherwin (last seen screaming at Amazon customer service) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Very Best of Ben E King (Audio CD)
Ben E. King, an esteemed music icon, still enjoys great popularity and success as a recording artist and entertainer; and on this album we get a great deal of his very best, high quality music. The quality of the sound is excellent.

The first five tunes come from the time when Ben E. King was a member of The Drifters; and he does each one so well as the lead singer of the group. "There Goes My Baby" has a fine melody; and Ben's sensitive delivery makes this sound great even all these years later. "Dance with Me" is most romantic and Ben (together with The Drifters) never let go of a single superfluous note! "This Magic Moment" continues to showcase Ben E. King's ability to carry a group as a lead singer; and I am particularly fond of "Save the Last Dance for Me," a true gem on this CD. "I Count the Tears" is also very well done.

And now we get ballads by Ben as a soloist. Ben's rendition of "Spanish Harlem" is easily one of the best I've ever heard; his sense of timing enhances his performance all the more. "Stand By Me" was a huge hit for Ben E. King; and his excellent diction makes his delivery truly classic. The percussion is used to great advantage, too. "On the Horizon" is well done; and listen for another gem when Ben E. King sings "Amor" with all his heart and soul. I could listen to "Amor" anytime--this music is all THAT good.

"Young Boy Blues" has Ben E. King squarely front and center--which is right where he belongs! "Here Comes the Night" gets the royal treatment from Ben who handles complex tempo and key changes like the pro he is while "Don't Play That Song (You Lied)" has a beautiful `50s flavor even if the lyrics aren't all that happy. "How Can I Forget" is very poignant and I really like "I (Who Have Nothing)." "Supernatural Thing, Part 1" is a highlight from Ben E. King's `70s work and the CD ends strong with Ben performing "Do It in the Name of Love." "Do It in the Name of Love" has some backup vocals and they harmonize well; but this talented man never really needs backup--his natural talent always carries him through.

Ben E. King fans would do well to get this excellent CD; and it makes a fine starter album for people just discovering the man and his artistry. Catch him in concert if you can!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Singer Not To Be Forgotten, October 1, 2004
This review is from: Very Best of Ben E King (Audio CD)
I would challenge the previous previewer on "I(Who Have Nothing)" or even Ben E. King's 1970's works as being true "hits",considering how many copies were sold. This takes nothing away from Ben E. King who is best remembered as the REAL lead singer of the Drifters (despite Clyde McPhatter's earlier stint and 7 others after King). The songs on this CD whether hits or not make this item a real bargain for a collector. The quality of this man's work cannot be questioned. To think, if the other members of the Drifters had showed up for a certain recording session as they were supposed to, would Ben E. King have stayed with the group instead of his record company releasing the just-recorded tune under his name only and launching his solo career? Note to Stephen King and Rob Reiner: "Stand By Me" first came out in 1961, not 1959 as depicted in a certain movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ben E. King, September 8, 2008
Most of the tracks brought back a lot of good memories. The sound reproduction is excellent!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cannot recommend highly enough, July 1, 2014
This review is from: Very Best of Ben E King (Audio CD)
Exactly what I was looking for! I had no idea until I played this C.D that Ben E King was a former member of the Drifters!
Every track a classic..Cannot recommend highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings back great memories, June 19, 2014
This review is from: Very Best of Ben E King (Audio CD)
I had forgotten just how any hits Ben E King had. It makes me wish I was 18 again. Great CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, April 8, 2014
PinkPearls (Central Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Very Best of Ben E King (Audio CD)
This is a great album of the unforgettable voice that is Ben E. King with classic songs like "Spanish Harlem" and many others to enjoy, this album is a must for anyone's collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars great cd, January 31, 2014
This review is from: Very Best of Ben E King (Audio CD)
I just love his music. what an entertainer, even 2 day he shines above all the rest. what memories this cd brings back.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Very Best of Ben E King
Very Best of Ben E King by Ben E. King (Audio CD - 2009)
Rate and Discover Movies