4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific for toddlers
Published on March 27, 2000 by Ann M. Huebner

1.0 out of 5 stars Too small!
There was nothing in the header description of this item to indicate it was a "Miniature Version". This should be stated clearly. The book is ridiculously small.
Published on August 10, 2010 by Alison Andreasen

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific for toddlers, March 27, 2000
This review is from: The Very Busy Spider (Board book)
My two-year-old and I love this book. It's about a spider who blows in, lands on a fence post, and spends the entire day building a web. She keeps working as various animals tempt her to do other things. At the end of the day, she catches a fly in her web and then falls asleep, tuckered out from her busy day. This book has several things going for it. First, it is a very simple narrative, making it one of the first stories that your child will be able to understand. Second, it is repetitive. Toddlers LOVE repetition and it is good for them. It helps them stay focused on the story, and gives them a chance to "read" something themselves, because they will naturally recite the repetitive bits as you come to them. Last of all, this book has several animals and the noises they make--very important for that fund of knowledge you are building. Oh, and I forgot the kicker: The spider web is made of some sort of 3D glue, making it tactile. My son loves running his fingers along it. I would have given this book 5 stars, but I love Carle's THE VERY HUNGRY CATERPILLAR even more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully illustrated story for young children., July 10, 2000
This review is from: The Very Busy Spider (Board book)
I love this story of the determined spider who is blown on a fence and begins to weave her web, too busy to play with the other animals. She catches her fly at the end. The typical farm animals are represented and young children will be able to identify the animals by the pictures and can make the noises of the animals portrayed. The web can be felt with the fingertips, although my son was never and is still not impressed with this feat, although his mother is. Eric Carle is a masterful illustrator and story teller. If you have never read his books to young children and seen the fascination of a 2 year old sitting and waiting for the page to be turned, you are missing out. He does not have one bad book. His illustrations are stunning. We have a LOT of books at our house and this one is chosen at least once a week for a bedtime story. Highly highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars a beautifully spun tale!, August 22, 2001
By A Customer
what an amazing book. as usual, eric carle's illustrations are outstanding, and the text is simplistic and includes animals that all children can identify with. the story features a spider who gets blown onto a fence post located on a farm. there she begins to spin her web (which is embossed on the page and allows the child to feel the story)and is tempted by many of the farm animals to stop. she however, continues to busily craft her magnificent web in the end catching her fly and falling fast asleep. the book is so perfect for toddlers that my two year old can now read the book to me! this is a must have for any child's library.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for your toddler's book collection, January 26, 2000
My daugther received this book when she was 1 and loved it from the start..We never got through the story itself...we just went through and did all the animal noises. Now my daughter is 4 and now she reads the book to me. My son is now 16 months and it's the first book he's been interested in. Again, we don't get through the story, just the animal noises, but, similar to his sister, I'm sure we'll graduate to actually reading the story. If you get this book, you won't be dissapointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too small!, August 10, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars A story that never gets old, February 16, 2002
This review is from: The Very Busy Spider (Board book)
For a very long time this book was my daughter's favorite. She loves having it read to her (especially when you do all the animal voices) and she thoroughly enjoys running her fingers across the raised spider's web on every page. We have shared this book together dozens and dozens of times. It is especially endearing to the 2-3 year old crowd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for ALL ages!, March 16, 2003
Nicole (De Forest, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Busy Spider (Board book)
We started reading this book to our 5 month old son and he loved it from the beginning! Every page has a different animal with the specific noises each animal makes. My son laughed at each page and especially loves the last page with the owl hooing. We read it almost every day!

5.0 out of 5 stars I consider this a classic!, May 21, 2002
This review is from: The Very Busy Spider (Board book)
While a spider weaves her web, animals of the farm come and ask her to play. The spider is too busy spinning her web. Adorable.
Several things make this book a true winner. First the repitition. The repitition is an excellent way for pre-readers and early reader to learn to read. (A whole language approach, but it gives kids some success.) Second, the tactile approach- as the spider spins her web you can feel the strings of the web and the fly that is buzzing around. This is a fun book to read and my son loves to touch the pages. The illustrations are adorable.
When I taught Kindergarten I always had a unit worked up around this book. There are so many creative and fun things you can do for activities and learning with this book. Now that I'm at home with my kiddos, we still do many of these fun things after we read this book. We made spiderwebs out of glue on black paper.
Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Very Busy Spider, March 24, 2001
"intentaccess" (Boca Raton, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
Yes, this book is about a spider but what it does is teach your child through enjoyment. This has been my son's favorite book since he knew what a book was and he is now age five. I even had to get the board book so he could take it everywhere, as I know I have sat down on the kitchen floor, outside on the driveway, in the middle of the supermarket because it was time to read the spider book. My son has two older sisters' who also did enjoy this book but I see the difference between girls and boys. A book my son never could sit still and listen he had to get up and mock each animal and sound. This is not just for the youngest child as my daughters learned to read and it is a great early reading book. My son has this memorized and does read it to all his friends and preschool class. This is just another wonderful book by Eric Carle. The author who has the most extraordinary way, of teaching the youngest child about life and all through his wonderful pictures! Thank-you Eric Carle for the many hours my children have enjoyed!

5.0 out of 5 stars My chldren love this book!, March 6, 1999
By A Customer
This is a great book not only because of the wonderful colors Eric Carle always uses, but because throughout the book children can feel the spider's web that goes across each page while you read the story to them. It keeps even the youngest of children interested and curious in what the web will become at the end of the book.

The Very Busy Spider
The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle (Board book - August 16, 1995)
$11.99 $7.07