Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

84%
16%
Format: Hardcover|Change

on May 25, 2011
Growing up I wasn't at all into the fairy thing; tiaras, pink, wands, ballet etc but make-believe - yes, exuberance - yes, star performance - yes, spunky kindness - yes! So while naturally I have never gravitated towards princess stories, I simply love the Very Fairy Princess books by Julie Andrews Edwards and Emma Walton Hamilton. It is the character, Gerry, who tugs on my heartstrings. Sure, I love the tomboy side of scabby knees and undone sneakers, but it is the confidence and determination not to allow other people or circumstances to rob her of that core identity - that inner SPARKLE. The first book sets the scene, but for me, the sequel really sees Gerry's character developing and maturing. Her humor, mischievousness, charm, grit and kindness sparkle through her tribulation of being cast as the court jester instead of the Crystal Princess in the ballet show. I think I too would have lost a good dose of my sparkle at this obvious miscasting!! - And the ignominy of having to wear a green and yellow jester suit, including silly hat (under which she hides her tiara). I won't spoil how our princess enables the show and cast to sparkle despite a mid-show crisis, but needless to say Gerry more than rises to the occasion.

In this book Julie and Emma have included just the right amount of similarities with the prequel to reassure us that we will enjoy the second as much as the first, yet thrill us with the exciting new on-stage plot. The delightful asides remain (I just HAVE to say these out loud, even when I am reading to myself!) and an effective use of capitals for emphasis. I always appreciate this duos' commitment to strong vocabulary in their children's books, not fearing to add a couple of words that I am convinced will be memorized by young readers and reused in their own stories. I have already ordered more copies for my younger friends!

This is a resoundingly successful sequel and I can't wait for more in the series. Christine Davenier's illustrations capture Gerry's indomitable spirit and sweep us through the pages with playful grace. If I am anything to go by, I think Gerry appeals to tomboys and princesses alike. As an adult the story makes me check that my own inner sparkle is still shining. I just wish they made the pyjamas in my size!
on July 15, 2011
Perfect little book for the perfect little 5 year old princess (at least SHE thinks she is)granddaughter. It is a sweet continuation to the Very Fairy Princess that gently deals with disappointment. It will be a favorite bedtime story for me to read to her when she stays with me...NOT to go home with her to get torn up or sold at a garage sale. The perfect book to be read with a loving adult.
on August 10, 2011
What a delightful little book! And the main character - so charming! My little six year old granddaughter was thrilled with this book. I would highly recommend it.
on July 26, 2011
Well written and illustrated, teaching children (especially girls) about self confidence and believing in yourself. Good self values lessons in this series.
on October 27, 2011
I bought my granddaughter The Very Fairy Princess book and she loves having it read to her over and over again. When I heard there was a sequel, I knew I had to buy it for her birthday. She will love it!
on February 23, 2013
This is not my first purchase of The Very Fairy Princess stories.
I'm saving this for my granddaughter until her dance recital in a few months.
I think she will find a kindred spirit in the Very Fairy Princess.
on August 12, 2013
The very fairy princess, Gerry, is excited when she learns that her ballet class is going to perform a ballet dance on stage! It was called "The Crystal Princess", and Gerry knew she would make a PERFECT princess - she was a natural, of course.

Tiffany got the part. Gerry didn't. Gerry got the part of the jester. With a silly hat, and shoes, and costume... And stick. Worst of all, Gerry has lost her sparkle. How can a fairy princess get her sparkle back?

My sister Josie LOVES these books. I have to say I really like the very fairy princess stories too because of the messages in the books. They are perfect for young kids. Ms. Edwards and Ms. Hamilton are awesome at assessing what young children think. I can totally understand how Gerry feels about not getting the princess part and having to settle for being a jester. Plus, I like the theme of this book. I like plays and musicals and ballets (not that I do ballet! No no no) a lot, so I like how this book takes place on stage. :) I think this is a great book for younger kids!

**NOTE I got this book as a gift
on February 3, 2014
As an actor I loved reading this story to my niece!! It shows that there is glory in not always playing the "lead"!! Sometimes the fun & quirky characters are the ones we remember most of all :)
This is such a delightful series and one my little girl adores. What's not to love about Gerry. She loves to dress up, do nice things for others, help people out and she enjoys letting her sparkle out when she sings and dances. She such a fun, relatable character to read about.

Gerry wants nothing more than to be the Crystal Princess, a coveted spot in her ballet class's up coming performance. When she loses it to Tiffany, and instead becomes the Jester, not surprisingly she becomes upset. But in a true fairy princess manner, Gerry ends up stealing the show when she does something to help Crystal out and saves the performance. Not only does Gerry feel happy about what she's done, but her parent's and brother are very proud of her as well.

This is a great sequel to the beloved book A Very Fairy Princess and I highly recommend picking these books up. They have such a great message in their fun, elegant stories, and the illustrations are adorable.
on December 19, 2011
"Hi! I'm Geraldine.

I'm a fairy princess.

I know that I'm a fairy princess
because I FEEL it inside---
a sparkly feeling of just KNOWING in my heart."

Geraldine's ballet class prepares for a big show and Geraldine is horribly disappointed to wear the jester costume instead of the sparkly crystal princess costume.

Geraldine is every pink princess girl in the world, full of spunk and with a desire to be sparklingly beautiful.