Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Very Fond of Food: A Year in Recipes (From Season to Season)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on September 1, 2012
Your criteria for cookbooks may differ, so I thought I'd lay mine out so you know how I am evaluating this cookbook:

1. Are the recipes do-able and practical for people who work a day job to pay the bills? YES. Recipes that call for 20 ingredients, and 2hrs of prep time don't make the cut and thankfully, most of Sophie Dahl's recipes are very do-able. I've made 7 of them on a worknight without feeling jammed for time. Cleanup isn't too much either, and this is important. The idea of having to use 11 pots and pans and other assorted equipment and then cleaning it up later kills most good cooking intentions in this house. I've also never taken a cooking class, and am merely an oft-harried, usually exhausted cook trying to put-together a meal for the family. These recipes are do-able, you don't need to be an expert to execute them with good results.

2. Are the results delicious? Yes, yes, and yes. Here, it's very subjective, but not only do I like the types of food featured, but I like her set of flavor combos. If your favorite flavor-gestalts are different, you may not like this, but for me (a lover of Mediterranean flavors, a lover of ingredients from Japanese, South Asian, and East Asian cuisines, as well as a smattering of classic English & French type flavors), her recipes really hit the sweet spot.

3. Do the recipes capture my imagination and transport me to some other time/place? Yes, they do. The author weaves in a brief anecdote with her instructions, and explains why a particular recipe is included. She does this without getting too wrapped up in the anecdote, but with just enough storytelling to infuse the recipes with whimsy. It's good to feed the imagination as well as the belly.
on January 14, 2014
A really charming book, full of personal tales and delicious recipes. I admire Miss Dahl's candor and bravery in stepping in front of what could be a critical audience for cookbooks, and she does carry it off well. You feel she's walking along beside you as you create her treats, and the stories behind them are often hilarious and usually heart-warming. She also freely uses slightly more unusual ingredients, and I for one am sufficiently intrigued to try them out.

The photos are beautiful, a sort of dreamy ideal country-chic home and garden with rough edges and full of antique cooking implements and jars of flowers. Even if the recipes weren't all that great, I'd enjoy this book for the stories and pictures, but actually the recipes are great, so I love it. Have given a copy of this as a gift to a friend just starting out cooking, as inspiration. Brava Miss Dahl!
on February 24, 2015
This cookbook is a joy to own in every way. The warm and inviting writing by the charming Sophie Dahl, the heavy matte pages, the beautiful photographs, the way that it is divided by the seasons make it a pleasure to read, to touch and to view. Anytime I need a lift and an encouragement to cook, I open this book and am inspired all over again. Seriously.
on March 28, 2014
A lovely read for those who enjoy reading cookbooks with more than just a list of ingredients and directions.The tapioca with apricots and apples is spectacularly delicious, it has become our new favorite breakfast. The photos are beautiful and the recipes written in a way that anyone can jump in and have fun in the kitchen with Sophie Dahl. This book is a wonderful addition to my cookbook library, so happy to have discovered Ms. Dahl, and I look forward to getting my hands on more of her books.
on February 17, 2013
I read this cookbook as if it were a novel. Have already smeared and spattered several pages. Very readable. Soothing at night when I can't sleep, inspiring when I am hungry and don't know what to make for dinner. Thank You, Ms. Dahl.
on March 20, 2013
This has to be one of the most beautifully done cookbooks I have ever seen. It is very visually stimulating and satisfying. The pictures make you want to cook. The recipes are also delicious. I love how she uses REAL food. I also love how she divides the book into different seasons. There are many benefits from eating food that is in season. That's how we were created to eat. Wonderful cookbook to add to the collection.
on March 12, 2013
Disclaimer, this was given as a gift to foodies who loved it, but I snuck some peeks inside for my quick first impressions before gift wrapping it. Really nice book, reads more like a novel at times than a traditional cookbook - which is why we bought it. The photos are rich and interesting as well, I'll be getting this one for myself too!
on April 11, 2012
This is a very unique cookbook. The author tells a story or adds her memories of the particular season that she's showcasing. Then the recipe is from what she remembers eating during that season.
The author is British, so some of the recipes are not what we might typically find here in the USA. But the ingredients seem fairly easy to find and the recipes are straight forward. I think the only problem someone might have is in converting the measurements from the metric system.

It's a cute cookbook. I just wish I had it in print instead of on my kindle so I could enjoy the pictures and flip through it to find favorites. It just doesn't have the same feel on the kindle.

I received this book free of charge from Edelweiss in exchange for my honest review.
on July 25, 2012
Absolutely gorgeous book! I loved Sophie Dahl's first book and I was excited to find out she had a second book. I live her style of cooking--gorgeous healthy recipes that celebrate ingredients and the season. I definitely recommend this one!
on July 3, 2014
Wonderful book, put together so beautifully! Her recipes are easy to follow and delicious! A must try is the roasted tomato soup, under summer dinners section - it is absolutely delicious!