5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the perfect picture book. :)
Published on November 5, 2007 by Jake's Mama

3.0 out of 5 stars Book is alright
My boys aren't into it (almost 3yo); probably because the colors are bland/ not bright and the book isn't exciting. Maybe they'll like it when a little older.
"My truck is stuck" and "goodnight construction site" and Dr.Seuss are hits though. If you have boys I recommend those.
Published 21 months ago by S. Winters

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the perfect picture book. :), November 5, 2007
Jake's Mama (Cheltenham, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Very Hairy Bear (Hardcover)
We loooooove the very hairy bear. This book is the perfect balance of whimsical fun and almost poetic loveliness. Both the pictures and the words are fun and entertaining enough to make my 2-year-old laugh out loud, interesting enough to keep his attention, and at the same time, so simple and beautiful. I love all the pictures, especially the bear rolling with happiness in the blueberries, and the silvery fishes sleeping at the bottom of the pond. We'll take a walk through the seasons with the very hairy bear and his no-hair nose over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully illustrated picture book with a whimsical bear, September 5, 2008
This review is from: Very Hairy Bear (Hardcover)
My 3.5 year old loves story books with lots of illustrations and "Very Hairy Bear" turned out to be a big hit! The hairy bear who is blessed with lots of hair all over , except on his "no-hair" nose:) journeys through the seasons, and gets into all sorts of exploits - fishing for salmon in the spring, sticking his nose into a honey tree and munching on blueberries in the summer, looking for acorns in the fall, and snoozing through the winter.

I love the rhyming style in which this story is written, e.g. ""A very hairy bear doesn't care if the squirrels scold. He eats all the acorns he can hold." The gorgeous watercolor illustrations by Matt Phelan enhance the narrative and make for fun reading. Highly recommended for preschoolers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable!, December 29, 2007
This review is from: Very Hairy Bear (Hardcover)
The illustrations are wonderful and the story is fun. A delightful trip through the seasons with an entertaining protagonist.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine approach to a bear's easy life is presented, January 8, 2008
This review is from: Very Hairy Bear (Hardcover)
A very hairy bear doesn't mind getting stung by bees or when his nose is wet from salmon fishing, but he does have his limits: what does bothering him? A fine approach to a bear's easy life is presented in a smooth rhyme about the talents and vulnerabilities of having a `no hair' nose in this whimsical tale, spiced by watercolors from Matt Phelan.

5.0 out of 5 stars A favorite to give.., July 25, 2010
This review is from: Very Hairy Bear (Hardcover)
I don't have kids, and am always very careful about buying kid books for gifts, and this is one that I buy often and it is always loved and enjoyed.
It's CUTE (I hate an ugly kid book!! I won't buy them!!)and has great verse and story.
You can't go wrong with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written and illustrated - this one won't get old, July 15, 2014
jrreader (WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Very Hairy Bear (Paperback)
I bought this when my grandson turned 3, and we both still enjoy it a year later. The illustrations are absolutely lovely - and humorous - as is the rhyming text. Although it's not long, there's a lot packed in there, including the bear's activities throughout the seasons. Each word is chosen carefully, not just for meaning, but for its sound, making it a delight to read out loud. I find it hard to find good literature for this age, but this one's pure poetry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great drawings and somewhat educational, November 11, 2013
This review is from: Very Hairy Bear (Paperback)
The book featured great pictures that were drawn in an interesting way for my 5 year old to look at. The rhythm is a bit hard to get at first because it doesn't follow the most common rhyme scheme. The subject matter is based on reality and can be educational to a small extent. All in all it was good purchase and I recommend this book.

Side Note: I got this book because the author also wrote The Little Blue Truck which I thought was one of the best children's books that I ever purchased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Art and Words, May 27, 2013
This review is from: Very Hairy Bear board book (Board book)
I love reading this book to my son. He loves the pictures and I love the easy, flowing rhythm of the words.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1 1/2 year old loves this book, May 8, 2013
This review is from: Very Hairy Bear board book (Board book)
My 1 1/2 year old loves this book. He is a big fan of the Little Blue Truck books and although the style of this book is quite different he still seems to enjoy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Book is alright, April 13, 2013

Very Hairy Bear board book
Very Hairy Bear board book by Alice Schertle (Board book - October 4, 2011)
Used & New from: $2.58