5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!
Published on May 8, 2004 by csm

3.0 out of 5 stars The Very Lonely Firefly
Published on December 17, 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, May 8, 2004
csm (The great Midwest!) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Okay, don't even hesitate on this book, just buy it! The fireflies light up at the end of the book and there just couldn't be any child anywhere that wouldn't be thrilled with this book. Mine just played and played with it and couldn't put it down. Still is one of his favorites and has to be read VERY frequently! This is such a cute, cute book and very well done. Plus, it has fireworks in it - another household favorite! It goes through and shows the many things that light up at night, explaining them very well. Just grab it and run - you won't be disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great First Bedtime Book, April 23, 2003
CR (Texas, United States) - See all my reviews
I've been sharing this with my daughter since she was about 7 months old. She was a little antsy the first time through, but when we reached the lights she fell in love with the book. It is her favorite of the Eric Carle books (although she really likes sticking her fingers in the holes of The Very Hungry Caterpillar.) My daughter is now 20 months old and asks for this story every night. Her vocabulary is growing with each rereading and she is able to point out most objects (firefly, candle, lantern, dog, cat, flashlight, lights) to me. I am surprised at how much she enjoys it and find this is one book I don't mind reading every night.
The batteries are the only problem. The first set finally died after a year of steady use, and the second set didn't last very long. (I suspect she left the boook open all day.) I am having trouble finding replacements that don't cost more than the book, but the book is so enjoyable I don't mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars A sparkler!, April 23, 2001
"intentaccess" (Boca Raton, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Lonely Firefly (Hardcover)
This is an information book about a lonely firefly searching for other fireflies. The search leads him to other sources of light such as light, candle, and flashlight. The text may be a little weak but that is what gives you time to add science discussion or what we feel like when we are feeling lonely. The last page is the best and sparks in those little eyes makes it all worthwhile!

3.0 out of 5 stars The Very Lonely Firefly, December 17, 2000
This review is from: The Very Lonely Firefly (Hardcover)
My children (ages 2&4) adore this book. The text is a bit boring, but they look forward to the last page. They also have a tendency to leave it open, and the batteries have been replaced twice in the last 5 months -- (it takes 4 batteries that retail for $2-3 each, and I've only been able to find them at one electronics store). This seems to be too much maintenance for a children's book -- especially given that we enjoy Eric Carle's "no-maintenance" books just as much or more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every child I know loves it--great surprise on last page, November 23, 1997
This review is from: The Very Lonely Firefly (Hardcover)
Eric Carle's books are enduring favorites with our family.This one isparticularly fun because when you turn the last page, all the fireflies flash their lights. Great for bedtime with the lights down low!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Little Book, September 7, 2004
My 3 year old daughter enjoyed this book a great deal when she was 2. It hasn't held her attention in quite the same way as other Eric Carle books (Brown Bear,etc. or Polar Bear, etc. for instance). But the colors and lights entranced her, and we still read this book once in awhile.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok... not his best story, February 12, 2007
This review is from: The Very Lonely Firefly (Hardcover)
My daughter LOVES Eric Carle's books. They are consistently her favorites ones to read. I bought this for her for Christmas. It's now February and she just started requesting this at bedtime. She likes the lights at the end. I think the story would have been better without the little dialogues from the characters. I understood what they were talking about, but I didn't think it was relevant to the actual story. So I don't read them anymore.

As an adult, I would have to say this is definitely not Carle's best work. The dark illustrations are not typical of his other books (but I understand why they have to be dark - it's a firefly at night - duh) and some of the characters are angry looking (dogs and cats fighting).

So I gave this a 3 out of 5. I wouldn't say don't buy it, but I would say don't go out of your way. Go out of your way for the other Carle books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever effect but weak text, August 11, 1999
By A Customer
This book is cute and the special effect of flashing lights on the last page is clever. But the text is less interesting than in the author's Spider and Caterpillar books. I'm not looking for brilliant text, but this is downright boring. I'd get the other two first and get this one only if your kid loves the others.

4.0 out of 5 stars A BEAUTIFUL AND WONDERFUL BOOK...BUT WHAT IN THE WORLD WERE THE DESIGNERS THINKING...or where they?, December 19, 2010
This review is from: The Very Lonely Firefly (Hardcover)
As with all the works of Eric Carte, this Firefly book is an absolute delight.

A young Firefly is born. He is lonely and goes is search of friends; his own kind. In his flight of search he encounters a candle, Lantern, flashing lights, a dog, a cat, an owl, cars and so much more. This is all well and good but the poor little guy knows what he wants...his search continues.

Of course the book has a very happy ending...he finally finds other fireflies and all is well.

This one is a favorite of the wee ones. The text is quite simple, bold fonts which are easy to see and read and the design of the book makes it quite easy for the little ones to turn the page. The art of course is dark and bold (after all, it is night time), but not scary. The illustrations are large and well defined being easy on the eye for group reads. The text and the illustrations go perfectly together and are absolutely delightful.

Now there is a problem though; a problem expressed by other reviewers here and a problem I encountered myself with this book. The last page is supposed to light up with firefly light. This of course necessitates the use of batteries. And here in lies the problem...from my own experiences.

I bought this book used. It was in great condition but alas, the lights would not light up. Being very crafty and well versed the use of electronic devices (I am not telling the truth here...I am clueless), I figured out quite quickly that the batteries must be dead.

My search began! This book uses a battery size designated as "2X1.5V L1131 Cells/AG10/LR1130." Now I have absolutely no idea what these numbers mean and I can assure you that the majority of clerks at various stores in S. Missouri do not either. I finally found them at a not so local Radio Shack store is a distant town. I was shocked! We are talking four dollars a shot here! That is over twice what I paid for the book!

Well no problem I thought, it will be worth it. I took the battery home and spent an eternity trying to get the battery installed in the book. Folks, when you are tool challenged like I am, this is a major, and I mean MAJOR project! I dare not repeat the language I used during this agonizing process here, but suffice to say that my wife banished me from the kitchen where I was working to the catacomb I call my office and threatened me with a bar of bad tasting soap. Even the dogs avoided me.

Anyway...

I did get the lights on the book to finally work; I was proud! It was glorious! I took the book to school the next day as it was my turn to read during reading period...a class of first graders. The kids absolutely loved the book and I was called upon to give it three readings....wow! Then I made a big, big mistake. I placed the book on the book shelf within easy reach of grubby little hands. For the rest of the day the book was swarmed.

Yup, you guessed it...at the end of the day the battery was as dead as the six day old possum road kill I walk by on the country road near my house each day...no life...gone....dead....!

I note that other reviewers have had the same problem.

Now I cannot give this work a one or two star rating because it is a wonderful book; well done, visually charming, well written text and the kids love it. On the other hand the battery situation is completely unacceptable. I mean what were they thinking when they designed the electronics of this thing?

So I am going to give this one four stars...the book itself; the art, story and text deserves at least six but the functional aspect deserves far less than one star.

Wonderful book, but buyer bewares!

Don Blankenship
The Ozarks

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a wonderful book for children of all ages., May 19, 1998
This review is from: The Very Lonely Firefly (Hardcover)
My son and I have checked this book out of the library many times. We are now going to purchase this one along with the "very Quiet Cricket" and the new one coming out this year. I would recommed these books to anyone who loves Eric Carle books.

The Very Lonely Firefly
The Very Lonely Firefly by Eric Carle (Hardcover - June 1, 1995)
$24.99 $17.95