5.0 out of 5 stars New Orleans
I bought this book for my husband who used to live there. He really likes it. He is a former lucky dog vendor so it was nice to see that they had been adressed in the book as well as other areas that he is familiar with. I would definately recommend this book to people who are familiar with N.O.
Published on May 12, 2007 by Carrita Lee Campbell

2.0 out of 5 stars Very, VERY little text content. Mostly a cartoon book.
Published 16 months ago by artemis47

5.0 out of 5 stars New Orleans, May 12, 2007
This review is from: Very New Orleans: A Celebration of History, Culture, and Cajun Country Charm (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Still the " Big Easy", February 16, 2007
Donna Resta (Hillsborough, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This was a great book for the seasoned visitor or someone going for the first time. The info was right on and the artwork thruout the book was beautiful. BUY THIS as some of the proceeds go to Katrina relief. A lovely tribute to one of the greatest cities in the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Orleans Foodie, March 23, 2006
Ann Lee (Santa Rosa, CA) - See all my reviews
I've been to New Orleans 9 times and we're again going in 3 weeks. This book was very informative, even to someone who's been there many times. I loaned it to a friend of mine who's a New Orleans native and she loved it. She lives here in California and it brought back many memories for her. This is the perfect book for the person going to New Orleans for the first time or an old timer. I'd highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice little intro to NOLA, March 19, 2009
Diana Hollingsworth Gessler doesn't live in New Orleans and it shows a little. She has also written a Very Charleston and a Very California.

Yet this is a nicely illustrated, well-packaged, interesting collection of factoids. Filled with trivia, history, idea starters, and more, it makes a nice read and a good gift.

Did you know that John J. Audubon perfected his signature style in NOLA? That the St Charles Streetcar Line is the oldest in the world? That the giant, ancient live oaks grow about 1.5 inches in girth per year? Hundreds of those....

I could quibble with some of it, but these are minor points: Uptown was not settled in teh early 1900s, but 20 years earlier; the Faubourgs were indeed ORIGINALLY 'suburbs' but they are within the city limits and today are just as 'urban' as the areas closer to the river, NOLA is more "Creole" than "Cajun" (there's a difference), etc. And there are plenty of very obvious omissions.

But overall, this is a great little book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very, VERY little text content. Mostly a cartoon book., November 30, 2012
I was very dissapointed when I received this book. I fell in love with New Orleans years ago, and just recently bought a property there, so I purchased this book hoping to learn more about the history of my new home. When the book arrived, however, I was very dissapointed to find it was little more than a cartoon book, with a few words or maybe a phrase or two attached to each cartoon drawing. While the pictures are quaint, and I learned a new random fact about the city every 10 pages or so, it was not worth the purchase. Truly, there is more text in the description of the book on amazon than there is in the actual book itself.

If you are looking for a cartoon book with images of some iconic characters and locations about new orleans with very minimal explanatory text, this might be a good book for you. Otherwise, save the money and go with another, more content-rich book. One possible great use for this book would be if you wanted to introduce a child to the city or get them excited about an upcoming trip there, as the cartoons are lovely, and the verbiage is un-intimidating.

4.0 out of 5 stars What not to miss in NO., January 24, 2011
A great little book, worthwhile if you're going to New Orleans - this was our second time there and the book brought to light things we'd not seen or done before.
However, I odn't always agree with what I read and after having been there before, some of things that the authored raved about - I really have to disagree with.

Our first visit was like a kid in the candy store - wide eyed, excited but our 2nd trip to NO wasn't anything like that - it was more oh, ok - well, I see. - not impressed with the folks, customer service - not the friendly, outgoing people we'd seen on our fist trip.

Despite all the bad, I'd say go ahead and buy this book if not for the information of where and what you might want to see, but also for the history of N.O.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this Book, November 4, 2010
I think this is my favorite book that I own. I have it on display next to a photo of my time in New Orleans. I just love the art work and the love put into writing this book. I wish I had one for every city I've ever been to! This book is really special to me, and I consider it a work of art and much more than just a travel book.

It also has a great simple overview of the culture of New Orleans and what needs to see. It is simple and what I want my travel books to be like. It is not overwhelming and I enjoy looking at it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it so much I had to buy it!, December 3, 2008
M. Clark (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
I first saw this book in the library, but once I checked it out, brought it home, and got a good look at it, I knew I had to buy it for myself. The artwork makes it look like a "lightweight", but don't be decieved! Among the cute drawings and clever musings is some good, hard info about New Orleans and the surrounding area. I have already bought a second one as a gift, and I recommend it highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent souvenir!, November 13, 2008
tb "tb" (CA United States) - See all my reviews
I have this author's California book and I recognized her style right away when I spotted this book while strolling through the French Quarter! I loved the Ca. version and knew from flipping through the N.O. version that it would be a great souvenir! Regular travel guides can be a bit too much but this was perfect with just the right amount of information to go along with her wonderful drawings. I'm buying one to give to my Katrina mission trip leader as a thank you for her organization and leadership while we were in New Orleans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart & Beautiful, February 21, 2006
Very thoughtfully written and beautifully illustrated. Great gift for any New Orleans fan -- whether traveller or native.

ARRAY(0xa1e342a0)

Very New Orleans: A Celebration of History, Culture, and Cajun Country Charm
Very New Orleans: A Celebration of History, Culture, and Cajun Country Charm by Diana Hollingsworth Gessler (Hardcover - January 20, 2006)
$16.95 $12.85