5.0 out of 5 stars Ivoryline Sophmore Album Sucess
Published on July 29, 2010 by Richard J. Montoya

3.0 out of 5 stars Ivoryline Hard Christian Rock Music
The value of displaced music for the Christian soul is hard to think that The Man upstairs can appreciate this. The band had its grass roots in a small Christian town in Tyler, Texas and has performed the music in studio and live events. They are very eccentric when it comes to morals, alcohol, homosexuality, smoking of any sort...well you get the picture of basic sins...
Published 18 months ago by snowwhited23

5.0 out of 5 stars Ivoryline Sophmore Album Sucess, July 29, 2010
This review is from: Vessels (MP3 Music)
I am normally not a reviewer for products, but for this CD, I had to make an exception. I have been a fan of Ivoryline for about a year. There first CD was great. They mix rock with just the right amount of religious undertones to make a very satisfying album. This CD improves on that greatly. There is definitely some deeper religious issues examined within this CD, but they don't ever lose touch with the rock that originally attracted me to their music. This CD feels like an improvement on every level for the band. Instrumentally, they have improved, and the passion in the lead singer's voice is unrivaled.

As far as specific tracks go, I have listened to the CD 3 times through, and there is no track that I didn't enjoy. The ones that really stick with me are "With the Daylight", "Instincts" and although slow, "Made from Dust" is incredibly written, both lyrically and musically.

If you are looking for another great Tooth and Nail Record, you've come to the right place. If you don't know what Tooth and Nail is, check it out. The record label has led me to many of my favorite bands!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music review, August 10, 2010
This review is from: Vessels (MP3 Music)
Overall the cd is amazing, and a must have. It is a little less catchy than their first release, but it sounds much more mature, and the lyrics are very heartfelt, and beautifully developed.
there are many great songs on this album for example..
the healing
instincts
hearts open
walking dead
naked
this is just to name a few, the songs are all very christian influenced, and all of the songs have a very strong message. Also the album artwork is amazing and it has to be one of my favorite cd covers ever! Go buy the cd now!

EDIT: I can't beleive the lack of reviews for this cd so I decided to extend mine. I am really impressed with this cd. I got it on its release date, and ever since i have been listening to it. It is definately one of my favorite cds of all time, and it is a step up from their other album, which was also a very impressive first release. In fact this cd is so good, that Amazon.com rated it the #5 christian cd of 2010! I wish i knew the link to prove it, but take my word for it. Trust me if you buy this cd you will not regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!! I love it!!!, August 18, 2010
This review is from: Vessels (Audio CD)
I heard a song on Love 89, our local Christian radio station here in Knoxville, Tennessee, and I was like, "wow I've got to check these guys out. Well I did by downloading their newest album, "Vessels" and when I listened to it I was like "wow I'm so glad I checked these guys out" because it was so stinkin awesome. There was not one song I didn't really enjoy. The vocals are awesome and I love how these guys are not afraid whatsoever to express their faith in every one of their songs. The music is awesome too. I love their style. If you like Christian rock, or rock for that matter, do not pass up this CD. It is a must have and I am so glad I downloaded it off here.

5.0 out of 5 stars They have nailed it..., August 3, 2010
This review is from: Vessels (Audio CD)
Ivoryline released their debut "There Came A Lion" in 2008. The album included a lot of Pop-Punk influence, and was filled with heartfelt lyrics, and catchy choruses,but the album did come out as repetitive though. In the following 2 years, they toured in support of their album, and obviously started writing for their next album, which would turn out to be "Vessels". I will honestly say that I wasn't that excited for the release since I didn't like the first album much. But then, they released their first single "Instincts", and that has to honestly be one of the strongest songs Ivoryline has written. The sound was a much different sound compared to their first album, porting a rather Alt-Rock sound, compared to a Pop-Punk sound. After hearing the single, I was definitely getting more excited for the release. Ivoryline then released a few other songs before the release date, namely "Made From Dust", "Vessels", "The Healing",and ""With The Daylight". These are definitely the strongest tracks on the album. After listening to the whole album, I can honestly say that they have definitely brought an excellent release. And just like any other release, there are some weak spots on this album, but then again, there isn't any perfect release. So I would definitely recommend this album to anyone who likes Alternative Rock music, and even if you didn't like the first release like I, give this album a try, you will definitely be surprised.

Recommended Tracks: With The Daylight, Instincts, Hearts Open, Vessels, Made From Dust, Naked

5.0 out of 5 stars Blew Me Away!, November 14, 2010
This review is from: Vessels (Audio CD)
The first time I listened to the songs on this album, I instantly loved each of them. It's not often that I can be this impressed over music. Ivoryline has simply outdone themselves on their sophomore album. They grew considerably in their faith from their first record, and it is very evident in each song, one of the things I appreciate most about Vessels. All of the songs are very thought provoking and deep; you can tell the band put a long of heart and soul into to the making of this, they wanted to touch people's hearts. I may be sounding a bit sentimental here, but this is what I felt when listening to the record. I not only love the fact that the band held on to their faith, but they also put out and amazing sound that easily makes them one of my top (if not the top) alternative Christian bands. Every song stays in your head and makes you want to listen again. I can't wait to hear even more from this amazing band, but I think this release will be hard to beat. Possibly my favorite album of the year so far!

5.0 out of 5 stars Close to Perfection, April 9, 2014
This review is from: Vessels (MP3 Music)
Ivoryline isn't so much interested in stunning with epic riffs as they are with creating a stirring, infectious sound. This album is in a class of its own when it comes to sonic cohesiveness. The lyrics are well-written and well-delivered, and the music is put together and played just as well as it was on, if not better than, There Came a Lion. This album is Ivoryline, improved. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Are you kidding me, January 5, 2014
This review is from: Vessels (Audio CD)
This has to be THE BAND that is on the Tooth and Nail label in my opinion. Much improvement from their first release "There Came a Lion". It's better in terms of melodies and the message the lyrics have.

Can't wait to see what they'll come out with on their next album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Listen To It, August 9, 2013
This review is from: Vessels (MP3 Music)
Amazing. Great riffs, soaring vocal lines, and a powerful message. Can't stop listening to it. Just go ahead and buy it already.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like the heavier side of rock music at all, this album is a must, August 18, 2011
This review is from: Vessels [+Digital Booklet] (MP3 Music)
I originally posted this song-by-song review/album analysis on my blog... in three parts. If you want to get to the main point look at the last paragraph, but if you want the details of exactly why every song on this album is amazing, please just read on. I hope you enjoy the review!

Right from the start, Vessels hits you hard with "The Healing," which, in my opinion, is the album's strongest track, and the best song the band has recorded to date. The dual guitars come in full force and unbelievably epic vocal harmonies between Jeremy Gray (Ivoryline's lead singer) and guest vocalist Jason Vena are, quite simply, unmatched. I don't think I've ever heard two voices come together in a rock song as powerfully as they do on "The Healing," and when you add in the fantastic lyrics, it's a simply phenomenal track. The chorus simply repeats, "You didn't earn My love/ no you never could" over and over again, while the verses seem to be an encouragement to have faith in God and "live a life worthy of the calling you have felt inside." That chorus is such a powerful reminder that we can't do anything to earn God's love, and of course the music hits you so hard that the point is forcefully driven home.
"But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ - by grace you have been saved." (Ephesians 2: 4-5)

"With the Daylight" is next, and is probably the most encouraging song on the record, exchanging hard conviction for singing purely about hope with a chorus that sings, "Though grief is heavy tonight/ joy will break out with the daylight." I also love some of the other lyrics in the song, especially when they say, "Even now, your whole life's being fought for/ by the one who calls Himself I AM." It's an amazingly encouraging song, especially if you're in a hard time in life, as it is a hopeful reminder that God is with you, and He alone can bring joy and peace that does not depend on circumstances.
"Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning." (Psalm 30: 5)

The third track, "Search Me Out," is one of the band's hardest musically, and lyrically it's fittingly honest and desperate. It's a desperate cry out to God to purify us from sin ("Get it out, get it out right now"). The song's most powerful line, though, is in the pre-chorus, which warns, "The greater you know yourself/ the more darkness you've missed/ you still find a trace of hell." How true is that! The greater we believe ourselves to be, the more we are missing the darkness within. It's in the humility granted by the grace of God that we can realize how wretched we are and how holy He is, and then beg Him to purify us of our sin so we can be more like Him.
"Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin! For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me." (Psalm 51: 1-3)

"Instincts can't keep me from falling." Song #4, "Instincts," is a strong reminder that we can't stay afloat if we live by our own instincts. Ultimately, God is in control; no matter how well we think we are able to do things, we are still prone to falling. For this reason, the lines, "Don't look left, don't stray right/ narrow is the gate that leads to life," fit in very well. When we take our eyes off Christ and turn from the narrow road, we tend to fall. But when we focus on Him, see with His eternal perspective, and trust in His power to help us, He is faithful to work for His glory and our good.
"Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God." (Colossians 3: 2-3)

Following four loaded rockers, Vessels quiets down for a moment with "Hearts Open," a contemplative and worshipful piece that focuses on our need for God with a chorus that sings, "Everyone here can be sure of one thing/ we're all in need/ our souls are aching but our hearts are open/ we're all in need." It acknowledges our need for God's help in the chorus, while the verses focus on our actions and attitudes that are in need of changing, all while giving the band a chance to show that they can write and perform calmer songs as well as heavier ones. But the best part of the song has to be the ending, where the band acknowledges that God is powerful and sufficient enough to fill that desperate need we all have. "Thank you, Father, thank you for who You are/ You're all I need."
"Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!" (Romans 7: 24-25)

The title track, "Vessels," returns to the record's heavy roots with a chorus that blows the other songs to smithereens in terms of sheer force, while headache-inducing guitars simply floor you and Jeremy Gray begs you to contemplate, "What does it mean to be salt and light in a world that's tasteless?/ Salt and light in a world of darkness?" There's an evident desperation to truly be salt and light in the midst of the constant struggles against the flesh. Thankfully, as the band has already covered in the previous song, we serve a God who fills all of our needs and shortcomings and works through us despite our inability.
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden... In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 5: 14, 16)

The record's only romantic sort of love song, entitled "No One Else," is next. Surprisingly, but also not surprisingly, it's another heavy rocker, and really one of the most genuine and powerful love songs I've ever heard. The chorus reveals a sincere, burning desire to truly love despite the distorted image of love that the world offers with the lyrics, "You and I will not conform to this world of lust/ we'll live by love/ we decide to build our lives with foundations in trust/ we'll live in love." That sincerity and true picture of love make this song great.
"Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh." (Genesis 2: 24)

"Walking Dead" is loaded with more conviction and criticisms of our world today. This time our tendency to water down or avoid the truth is under examination: the band's conclusion? "A living, breathing generation of the walking dead/ believing nothing is wrong but everything always is." When we deny the truth of who God is, we lose the truth of who we are in the process, and in the end we are unable to have true life, which is knowing the one true God, and then we're just a society of "walking dead." There are several other potent lyrical moments in the song, including the bridge, which says, "All the things we think we need/ all the things we need/ have taken His place." We've tried to find satisfaction in things that are temporary, when God is the only one that can truly satisfy. Before the final chorus comes around, though, there is a cry out for help: "God descend, trade for flesh these hearts of stone." Only God can give us the new heart and life we need.
"And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh." (Ezekiel 36:26)

A longing for Christ's return seems to permeate the next song, "Broken Bodies." The chorus sings, "Come back down, we're all ready now/ we're all drowning in our follies, broken hearts and broken bodies." This song matches what my heart longs for so well: to be delivered from this body of sin, for Christ to return and make all things new, and to live with Him forever and ever.
"He who testifies to these things says, "Surely I am coming soon." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!" (Revelation 22: 20)

"The Greatest Love" is mostly a song about Christ, plain and simple. It reflects on what He did on the cross, which in effect describes what He was willing to do out of His great love for His people. It is interesting, though, that parts of the verses seem to be about a more romantic sort of love... perhaps that reveals Jeremy Gray's desire to love his wife as Christ loves the church ("I will live my life with your pure, sinless heart as my guide"). Sounds familiar... My favorite line, though, is definitely from the bridge: "Make yourself known in all your glory / and steal our breath / Our eyes now opened to the story / we've been made to live."
"Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her..." (Ephesians 5: 25)

The shortened version of the album ends with what might be the record's most poignant track, "Made From Dust." Until the last couple minutes, it's actually a quieter track, and Gray's voice shines as he seems to simply pour out his heart in the beautiful lyrics. If I quoted all the lyrics I love from this song, I would end up with the entire song. That is not a joke, this song is simply beautiful. The lyrics that stand out most, however, are the ones that get repeated frequently: "The final time I close my eyes / I will open them in Paradise." In the midst of realizing all of our sins and shortcomings and longing to be rid of them, we can always cling to the hope of eternal life in Christ, because when we die, we will be with Him in Paradise. All you need to do is completely trust in Christ's sacrifice to cover your sin and make you righteous before God, and you can have that hope if you don't already. If you're going to listen to one song from Vessels, make it this one.
"And he [one of the criminals crucified with Jesus] said, `Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.' And he [Jesus] said to him, "Truly I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise." (Luke 23: 42-43)

What I prefer to call the real version of Vessels (what is listed digitally as the "deluxe version") includes two more fantastic songs that measure up to more than just tacked on bonus tracks that didn't make the cut; in fact I consider them just as much a part of the album as the rest of the songs. "Naked" is the first of these songs, and it returns Vessels to its heavy sonic blows for an epic musical ride. The song is about Adam and Eve and the fall of mankind, and about how God is the only one who truly knows us, and all of who we are is laid bare before Him. He knows even the deepest intentions of the heart, and there's nothing we can do to cover it up. But those who have faith in Christ to cover their sin can joyfully sing along with the bridge, which says, "One day I'll stand before you / and joy will flood my soul / and all of me will know / I am made whole in you."
"And you, Solomon my son, know the God of your father and serve him with a whole heart and with a willing mind, for the LORD searches all hearts and understands every plan and thought. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will cast you off forever." (1 Chronicles 28: 9)

The album comes to a close with the unique "You Bring Fire," which hardly sounds like anything else from Vessels. I actually didn't like it very much for quite some time, but in the past couple months the quality of this song has finally hit me. I love how the chorus describes the life God gives us when it says, "You bring fire to my bitter and drafty soul." Without the Spirit in us, our souls truly are bitter, drafty, and overwhelmingly cold. God brings "fire" to our cold souls that makes us truly alive. "You Bring Fire" closes the album out on a unique and unexpected note, while still delivering deep and honest lyrics.
"And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross." (Colossians 2: 13-14)

After almost a year of owning this album (I'm pretty sure I got it literally the minute it came out), I can still listen to it and enjoy it just as much as I did the first time. I've never heard any other record that's so honest, convicting, encouraging, and powerful all at once, set to heavy hitting rock music that doesn't sound at all like screamo (sorry screamo lovers, I'm just not a fan of that style of music). I remember reading somewhere that the band's prayer in writing these songs was that they would be vessels to be used by God in some way; the final product makes it abundantly clear that God answered that prayer. Well, they have made an impact on at least one person's life. If you like the heavier side of rock music, I can't recommend this album enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music and message, March 27, 2011
davehuns (Mays Landing, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vessels (Audio CD)
Great singing and instrumentation. Love the lyrics. Wondering why I never heard of this group in the Christian music genre before. Purchasing every CD I can of theirs ASAP. You won't be disappointed.