Vetericyn Ophthalmic Gel 2.0 oz
Price:$26.50 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Update: Since the writing of this review, I had another chicken suddenly develop eardrums that were swelling up like tiny balls with a black spot in the middle that looked like a "plug". I googled this and everyone said you will need surgery amd they can continue to swell as large as her HEAD when this happens. I smeared this on both of the swollen areas. Went back a few hours later they were gone...totally deflated. She scratched her ears for a day as they itched when healing, but I only applied it once for a total cure. HOLY. WATER. This kills everything bad and maintains the health of everything good.

Original review: When one of my chickens (a pet as much as my dog or cat) suddenly lost all sight for no reason I'd given up hope. Everyone said they won't see again. I couldn't find one example anywhere of anyone who had success when something had gotten so bad so quick that both their eyes just went...Not one story in all my research of a blind chicken seeing again.
She was put on antibiotics with no results. Her eyes soon swelled shut. I taught her to lean down to eat when I made a clicking sound and she leaned down and drank when I went SSS.

But my heart just broke seeing her not move and so confused.

Someone at the feed store mentioned this in passing when I actually asked for an antibiotic ointment (Tetramycin) that all the experts said to use on a blind chicken. (Bear in mind no one who used Tetramycin on a blind chicken had success, as I mentioned. So I asked questions, read the bottle. The salesperson said "But it's really pricey" Like a blind chicken isn't in many ways...) The problem with diagnosing chicken blindness is that steroid drops can make an infection worse and it could be caused by virus, bacteria, or spores. Antibiotic drops don't cure all three of these and often don't even cure the one they are supposed to. This said it cured all in 30 seconds. No steroids, no antibiotics needed. "Safe as water"? A huge claim. All antibiotic drops take days. Not something I want to risk with blindness. So I bought it. A risk considering no one had ever apparently tried this before for treatment for eyes bad enough to reach being blind but in all my researching what CAUSED blindness (bacteria, virus, spores if not genetic) this seemed to make way more sense.

As always when I messed with her eyes to wipe or help, she fought horribly hard as I tried to put the first drop of ointment in her eye. Oddly as soon as I did she totally relaxed. In fact she didn't fight me AT ALL when I put it in her next eye. I took this to mean pain must have been there and stopped. (as the bottle claimed it would.)

10 minutes later I was on the floor talking to her sweetly as I always did when I cleaned her eyes after this happened to her--telling her how brave she is, trying to offer any comfort and soothing that I could verbally down at her level on the floor. For the first time, she turned and looked at me! She then brought her face right up to mine, almost touching my nose, and turned her head back and forth as I spoke like a dog does when listening to you. I put a treat down on the floor--she went and got it! I just blubbered like a baby. I thought it impossible. I then used a flashlight on the wall and she followed it!

Bear in mind, she wasn't just partially blind. This chicken was so blind I could put a finger almost on her eyeball and she wouldn't blink. Anyone touching her scared her badly because she didn't see it coming and didn't know if it was a person or a hawk. She couldn't find her food bowl at all unless I moved it around a bit as she tried to peck and find it after I made my "food" noises to alert her it was there.

It wasn't so easy that she was just cured. The next morning her eyes were swollen again and goopy. (probably healing) I applied more. I saw no change instantly though as I had before and I had to leave for work. I came home at lunch as I always did to feed her and her eyes were open. She seemed to see some but I wasn't sure. I applied another dosage (putting a big glob on my finger worked better as long as my finger didn't touch her eye, just the glob). She then began picking out her favorite grains (the reddish ones) from the feed a few minutes later. I had to leave back to work, but left feeling very hopeful as it appeared to be clearing everything out..

I came home and not only did she look right at me but the raspy breathing she had had was gone (possibly clearing something from leaving her eyes to her nasal cavities). Both eyes were open. I took her out of her indoor hospice (the guest bath) and outside. When I did this before she would just lay down in fear. Today she began eating grass. Finding bugs, exploring and digging, following me as I walked. Taking grass blades I held out for her! I got so excited I called everyone.

I prayed and prayed for this chicken. She is only a year old. It broke my heart. I feel like this is my holy water. What every expert told me--to cull her (never!!) or allow her to just learn her way blind went unheeded by me as I am way too stubborn. I wouldn't give up on her. I first researched the causes like mad and although the symptoms are all the same and no one healed them, I felt that this experimental treatment seemed to treat the causes far more so than the things suggested that NEVER WORKED on anyone else with a blind chicken.

I should add EVERY time I used the drops the same thing happened. She fought me hard trying to handle her eye but as soon as I did she relaxed and eventually even OPENED her other eye to be soothed as well! Soon she she learned to open both eyes readily, happy for the relief she knew was coming.

I took pics of her blind swollen eyes when trying to get help. So I took more pics as she healed. I will post them.

Whatever bacteria, virus, or mold spore that attacked her and didn't respond to antibiotics or at least not fully, instantly was hit on first use. Continued use resulted in a crazy unexpected fast CURE!!

I am their biggest fan. You can't put a price on what I just gave back to that hen. I found story after story on the internet of people asking for help for a blind chicken. I found no story of anyone who had ever cured one...and I will, therefore, shout at the rooftops about this in hopes that it may help more chickens who would, instead, become unprotected from predators, unable to find food, unable to have just a simple calm life...

That said, the only negative I can say is that I looked at the expiration date today and it's next month! Bought at Buck Moore feed store in Austin not here) because of the cost, this actually sat on the shelf I guess too long. The price is steep. But in my mind it's like buying 3 medications. So it's cheapER. Plus nothing else is instant. I hope the price goes down for that reason. It was also expensive for me to have to go home from work daily to feed her and water her and spend evenings trying to heal her and calm her so in my mind this is a bargain...but still, in comparison to other ointments I'm not sure what the price is. Since she slung a bit off each time, I had to use globs so it doesn't last forever either.

That said, my last chicken vet bills were $700 with no cure.

It may sound crazy to hear all this on a chicken but she is as smart and sweet as any companion animal. She learned to eat and drink on cue afterall! Any life is worth effort when in one's care. And her trust in me quadrupled. This chicken was my only one that didn't always run to greet me as I entered the run. Now she is my biggest fan and I can pick her up, carry her...that chicken fell in love with me when I went through this and cured her! They KNOW. It was sheer bliss to sit there watching her see again. To get right up to me in amazement to finally view the voice that had been coaching her softly all along

I swear this may be just a mere review to anyone else among my hundreds of other reviews but I will never forget that look and moment. It was like witnessing a miracle.

I am the biggest biggest fan of this. I don't know how it works and I don't care. I watched it happen. It kills me that I found it by chance and NO ONE knew about it for a cure...I don't know if it's lack of marketing, that no one but me every tried it to treat this, or if it's just too new but I'm a very vocal person. Believe me.

Here's my thought...so it's been days after treatment and my chicken is still cured. I kept her inside still for observation. I want to clean the coop out though in the event that she is just more sensitive to something in it I keep the coop clean but still, something happened.) I despise that most people use bleach as it is known to be slowly toxic to animals. They won't live as long as those who don't breathe in the fumes. Why isn't there a cleaner made with this? Cost? To clean a coop after a sick hen was in it?

Someone...invent! I'm not beyond squeezing this stuff on a rag for the nesting box though...it's happen.

(and yes, I'm writing the company this same story. Vets NEED to know their non-cure antibiotic drops are a non-cure and this can cure blindness which even their website doesn't mention.)

Who knew a chicken could also be a guinea pig?!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: Because somewhat wrote me who thought this was "saline solution" and a reviewer mistakingly said it can't cure things, I copied this from the website since there is no way I could explain what it does or kills in my own words. It even kills staph infections in 30 seconds. So....yeah it does:

Name of Organism Time to Kill Percent Reduction
Staphylococcus haemolyticus 30 seconds 99.9999%
Staphylococcus homins 30 seconds 99.9996%
Staphylococcus saprophyticus 30 seconds 99.9999%
Streptococcus pyogenes 30 seconds 99.9999%
Bactericidal and fungicidal activity (suspension tests)

The antimicrobial activity of our technology has been demonstrated against a variety of microorganisms in several in-vitro studies.

Our technology has been tested against a variety of organisms, including the five most common bacteria found in hospitals (Mangram, 1999): Staphylococcus aureus, Coagulase-negative Staphylococcus spp. (such as Staphylococcus epidermidis), Enterococcus spp. (such as Enterococcus hirae), Escherichia coli, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Our technology demonstrated a 106 reduction after 15 seconds of exposure against all five organisms.

An in vitro time kill evaluation was performed using our technology versus challenge suspensions of 50 different microorganism strains (25 American Type Culture Collection [ATCC] strains and 25 clinical isolates of those same species) as described in the Tentative Final Monograph. After exposure for 30 seconds, there was a reduction of the bacterial load >5 log10 in the following samples: Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Escherichia coli, Enterococcus hirae, Acinetobacter baumanni, Acinetobacter species, Bacteroides fragilis, Enterobacter aerogenes, Enterococcus faecalis, Vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus (VRE), Haemophilus influenzae, Klebsiella oxytoca, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Micrococcus luteus, Proteus mirabilis, Serratia marcescens, Staphylococcus aureus, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Staphylococcus haemolyticus, Staphylococcus pyogenes, and Candida albicans (BioScience Labs, Bozeman, Mont.). (Gutiérrez 2006).

Bactericidal and fungicidal activity (carrier tests)

In various tests, the bactericidal and fungicidal properties of our technology have been tested in accordance to EPA DIS/TSS guidelines. Under these conditions, our technology has totally inhibited the growth of the following microorganisms: Mycobacterium bovis (OT #105401) in 5 minutes; P. aeruginosa (ATCC #15442), S. aureus (ATCC #6538), Salmonella choleraesuis (ATCC #10708), Methicillin-resistant S. aureus (MRSA, ATCC #33592); and Trichophyton mentagrophytes (ATCC #9533) in 10 minutes; and Vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecalis (VRE, ATCC#51299) in 15 minutes (ATS Labs, Eagan, MN).

Virucidal

Our technology was tested to determine the virucidal characteristics against the Human Immunodeficiency Virus type 1 (HIV-1), Strain HTLV-IIIB, in accordance with the U.S. EPA DIS/TSS-07 guidelines. The virus was applied as a dried film on sterile, glass Petri dishes, followed by exposure to MCN for 10 minutes. Subsequently the virus was separated from the test substance by gel filtration and titrated by serial dilutions for infectivity assay. Conclusion: per dilution groups (7 groups: 101 through 107), 8 samples were observed and in no sample infective activity was detected. The reduction in viral titer was ' 3.75 log10 for all samples. Under the conditions of this investigation, our technology demonstrated complete inactivation of HIV-1 following a 10-minute exposure time, in accordance with virucidal requirements as defined by the EPA. [ATS labs, U.S.]

Other viral inactivation studies have shown that our technology reduces ' 3 log the load of Influenza A virus (A/HK68), Rhinovirus type 37 (ATCC VR1147 and Human coronavirus (ATCC 740) after 30 seconds of exposure (APPTEC - ATS labs, U.S.).

Sporicidal

Our technology was tested to determine sporicidal characteristics against spores of Bacillus subtilis (ATCC #6633). The test was conducted in accordance with the BS EN 14347:2002 `draft' standard. A spore solution with a concentration of 108 - 109 spores/mL was prepared from a purchased spore suspension. Test samples contained 1 mL of the spore solution, 1 mL water and 8 mL of our technology. The spore solution was exposed for 15 minutes to our technology, after exposure the samples were plated and incubated for four days at 36 ± 1 °C.

Conclusion: Under the conditions of this experiment our technology was sporicidal against Bacillus subtilis spores. The reduction in spores was 6.5 log on average, thus completing the requirements of the applied test method. [Micromed Laboratories Inc., U.S.]

Our technology does not kill spores by inactivation of some component of the spore's germination apparatus, but by damaging the spore's inner membrane such that our technology treated spores lyse rapidly upon spore germination. Our technology also appeared to inactivate at least one enzyme, CwlJ, located in the spore's outer layers. Our technology killing of spores was not accompanied by the release of the spore's large pool of dipicolinic acid (DPA). (Rose et al, 2006; Paul M et al, 2006).

The preceding data is based upon testing done on the Microcyn® Technology platform and does not necessarily infer that similar data would be generated in testing on various Microcyn-based products or formulas under development.
review image review image review image
6464 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have to admit, I normally use and buy Terramycin, in the event my animals need an antibiotic ophthalmic ointment, however after running completely out of Terramycin, and not being able to find it stocked, we purchased this product instead. It works great! Actually I am even more impressed, because it claims to not only work on bacteria, but also fungi and viruses! It also helps address the itching, burning and stinging that goes along with eye inflammation. With that being said, I will still continue to purchase my old standby, Terramycin, but I see no reason not to keep this product on hand either! It may be more costly than my Terramycin, but the 1.5oz bottle will last a long time, and it is well worth it!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 21, 2011
Unbelievable! Mom was ready to euthanize little maltese, Beauregard, to get him out of pain. He screamed constantly as his dry eye syndrome faciltated growth of bacteria and who knows what else! His eyes were swollen huge, fire engine red, and glops of gunk poured down his fuzzy little face! $1,600 in the hole to her veterinarian and devastated that her baby was suffering so, I started doing some research on Vetericyn because I have seen customers treat their pet's eyes problem quite successfully with it! 1 hour after the first application Beau stopped screaming and rested for the first time in 2 MONTHS! 2 weeks later, mom has her adorable, loving baby back without red eyes, pain and tons of glop and gunk!! The film of glop and gunk was so thick over his eyes, one could not tell if he actually had eyes!! NOW we can see his little cataracted eyes and eyelashes! He looks like a little dog again! THIS STUFF IS AMAZING BEYOND COMPREHENSION!
on December 22, 2011
My cat had been suffering through conjunctivitis for nearly two weeks. I kept her eye clean and flushed out, but it wasn't helping her. And antibiotics from the vet didn't do anything either. Bought this stuff and it cleared COMPLETELY within 3 days. Highly recommended. A must have for a pet medicine chest.
on December 11, 2012
Verified Purchase
My cat has a herpes virus. Since he was born wild and hand-raised by me, I really don't know much of his history. I know his mother and siblings and they all seemed to have bad eye-infections which I initially treated with Terramycin ointment. When this cat got stressed out before, during and after neutering 18 months ago, he developed a nasty eye infection, which the vet said was caused by the herpes virus that flared up. It was evidently passed on to him by his mother and his immune system can't seem to fight it. I have 2 of his siblings as well and they show no signs of this problem. I ordered the Vetericyn out of desperation to help this poor cat. His eyes are watery and itchy, red and inflamed 5 out of 7 days a week and if it makes me nuts to see it, I'm sure he's miserable too having to live with it.
The Vetericyn seems to relieve itching more than anything, but the redness and watery discharge remain no matter how often I use it on him. The good thing, it doesn't sting when applied and doesn't seem to cause more problems, but when I told my vet, she said it was the equivalent of putting bleach water in his eyes. It does contain sodium hypochorite which is the ingredient that kills the bacteria. She said short term use won't cause trouble, but with the long term, it could damage his eyes and cause blindness. She basically told me to use it at my own risk (or his), but to be cautious using it for a long period of time.
Even though the bleach content is miniscule, it can still have negative side effects later on. I'm not sure I would recommend the eye gel but the skin products are very effective and the vet did endorse that for healing cuts and surgical wounds. Think about it before using this on your pet - if it's a minor irritation it would probably be more effective for that, but for a herpes or conjunctivitis infection, it doesn't heal the problem and doesn't provide long term relief.
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 19, 2014
Desperately, I went to Petco to buy this gel ($40!!!..last one on the shelf) for my 13 year old Shih Tzu who was suffering! This is how his cornea ulcer started: At first he started rubbing his eyes, then it turned into a blood shot swollen eyeball (with tons of mucus and it was so swollen that his eye was sticking out more than usual), and lastly it seemed like there was a circular laceration on the outer layer of his eye. Everywhere online was advising that we make the trip to the vet which would have costed us $$$. It wasn't until I read about this gel in a blog that I decided to try it as a last resort.

After a few uses, his eye still looked terrible but my dog showed immediate itching relief. After 1 week of applying the product, my Shih Tzu's eye was 3/4 there towards his recovery. Now he's fully healed although there's a light cloudy layer (could also be cataracts) but he's no longer suffering. I still have about 3/5 of the contents left in the bottle.

Here is what I did:
1) Wipe off all the mucus on the eyeball with a soft tissue
2) Apply a generous amount of the gel directly onto the eyeball
3) Close the eyelids and gently rub in the gel (massage the eyeball)
4) Don't wipe off the remaining gel. Just let it sit in.
*Did this 3-4 times a day

I've read lots of reviews on how the product doesn't work. I know we are all dog lovers which is why you are reading this review right now (and that I'm taking the time to type out this review). I can only suggest that you be patient when using this product. Give it some time to kick in. It definitely beats running to the vet to be slammed with a huge bill.

*I hope this helps. I can't stress how amazing this product really is. The reason why I'm being so detailed is because I was so desperate to find a solution and didn't find much direction. Good luck!
on November 10, 2012
Our pug puppy pricked her eye with a pine needle while outside we took her to the vets who gave us Teremycin gel after 14 days it looked horrific and we were told she would be blind in that eye and to keep up the Teremycin for another 7days and if it didnt get any better they would remove the eye!

not good enough for us so we looked online in the car and found this on the way home from the vets we bought it from the feed store
i will post pictures we did this for 7 Days look at the before and after shots THIS STUFF IS AMAZING!!
and Caysee has 100% sight in her affected eye back!!! just a small scar as the puncture was deep, but its hardly visible!
review image
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 17, 2012
Verified Purchase
I bought this product for my cat who has a bad right eye that he's had since we found him at 3-1/2 months old. He looks like he's blind in that eye, but the many Vets he's seen over the years, say, "No". His eye didn't start flaring up until about two years ago when he was 10 years old. His Vet has prescribed antibotics (NPDex Opth) and it never really cleared up the problem. And I bought Terramycin at our local feed store, but that didn't clear it up either. These products helped but didn't make it go away. So after reading through the reviews at Amazon; especially the gal who healed her blind chicken, I decided to try the Vetericyn gel. I used it on him 3x daily for two weeks. It relieved his condition a tad but didn't make it go away. So back to the Vet we go again. I like the ease I had in using this product. It's a nice sized container and easy to hold. Just give it a good shake each time you use it and that will make the gel come out smooth rather than in one big blob that shoots across the room. I washed my hands each time and then used a finger to apply it to the lower lid. Put a dab on your finger when your "lovey" isn't looking. After a bit, I didn't let Mikey-Boy see the container, so there was minimal stress and he didn't take off running to hide. Cats don't like to be touched around their eyes. This way it was quick and easy and my cat was okay with it. Afterwards I hugged him and told him how much I loved him and he was happy with me. And I did clean around the outer eye a tad with tissue and all was fine. Hope this review helps somebody.
on June 29, 2012
Verified Purchase
All three of my cats had an eye infection at the same time. As I am currently laid off I could not afford to take all three cats to the vet at the same time. Lucky one of my vet friends recommended this product to me. It saved me alot of cash for vet appointments and medicine. It worked so well.
on June 7, 2012
My ten year-old doxie had been having a problem with his eye tearing on and off. One day he started having sticky mucus out of that eye, and within a couple of hours of waking up, the eye was red, oozing mucus constantly, and poor dog was squinting.

"Great!" I thought. Another trip to the vet and $$$. I took him outside and a neighbor took one look at him and told me to get this stuff at the local pet supply store, and that it had worked well for his dog's eye infection. I went and bought the Vetericyn right away - the gel formula, not the liquid. After one application my dog's eye was visibly better. By end of the day, his eye looked completely better. But I continued to use it for the next couple of days to be safe.

The bottle was not hard to use. I put some gel on my finger and spread it gently along my dog's eye, holding the eye open a bit. It did not bother the dog at all. It is not greasy or smelly either. The expiration date on the bottle is two years from now, so I'm very glad I found this and will keep it in my doggy first aid kit from now on. Glad to see Amazon carries it - of course it's cheaper on Amazon as well. I'm reviewing it here because I love Amazon and I like to spread the word on products that work.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations