5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the Best Minimalist shoes
Published on February 27, 2013 by Noah B.

3.0 out of 5 stars Design is flawed
Published 17 months ago by Steven J. Bunch

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the Best Minimalist shoes, February 27, 2013
I recently wrote a review for the Merrell Vapor Gloves and deemed them one of the greatest minimal shoes available (with a few exceptions). Vibram, however, does it perfectly. Perfect ground feel, perfect fit - these are the closest you are going to get to the ground without taking off your shoes and hitting the road absolutely barefoot. Straight out of the box, I slipped the shoes on and went on a 10 mile road run, and here are my thoughts:

Some have noted that the heel feels like it could potentially slip off. I didn't have this issue as the shoe, to me, always felt snug. Vibram opted to go with a strapless model closer to the Classic, which therefore results in a slightly tighter fit in the shoe. This, to some, can result in a shoe that feels too tight, or constricting. Again, I didn't have this issue. I will say that after 10 miles, the lip at the heel of the shoe 'did' slightly dig into my achilles tendon to make it a bit sore the next day. But in my opinion that is probably something that will dissipate as the shoes stretch a bit more.

All in all, great minimalist shoe for weight-lifting and road running!

5.0 out of 5 stars 2nd Pair, August 28, 2013
I bought a pair of Bikila LS about 6 months ago and I've worn them all day, every day since I opened the box. I work in retail and am on my feet for 8-12 hrs a day. Before the Bikilas, I had back and knee pain all the time. After, it's minimal. Most days, it doesn't exist. Needless to say, I fell hard for Vibrams.

So, I started shopping for a new pair a few weeks ago, since my job requires black footwear and dress code was becoming an issue around the shop. I landed on the EL-X. I sized down one size to get a tighter feel because these are built much different than the Bikila. The soles are the thinnest that Vibram offers and are made with what I assume is a vented Neoprene upper.

Sizing down turned out be a good choice. They fit like foot gloves. To describe them, they're literally rubberized armored socks. They give alot of ground sensation and you can flex the toes like you're wearing almost nothing.

If you're new to Vibram Five-Fingers, you may want to start with a thicker sole. They're a much different feel than wearing a conventional shoe. If you've had a pair or are feeling like diving in headfirst, get the EL-X. They don't disappoint.

3.0 out of 5 stars Design is flawed, September 23, 2013
I really do love these shoes, the way they fit and how much easier the are to put on than a previous pair I had. Since I've owned these particular pair of vibrams I've had to super glue the sole on both shoes 4 times. Once l glue them back they work great, but it's really annoying that this is happening. I should have retuned them the first time it happened, but I didn't so live and learn I guess

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits like a glove, works well on the trail and in the office, April 13, 2014
A. Skinner (Cleveland, OH) - See all my reviews
I've used FiveFingers for years now, mostly for hiking and general purpose use. I've been wearing the EL-X as a daily work shoe (office desk job), and it's been great. I often will sit cross-legged in my seat, and these shoes don't present a problem doing that.

I also took them on a challenging hike with a wide variety of terrain - lots of boulders, small rocks, through a creek multiple times. They performed admirably.

They have good ground feel, but provide enough protection that walking on rocks isn't going to present a problem. I think the tread and suppleness of the sole worked very well when hopping from rock to rock due to the quality and amount of surface area it presents.

They're easy to slip on and off, but haven't "come off" on my unintentionally. By simply putting one foot on the heel of another to decouple the heel and then doing the same with my toes, I can slip out of these shoes without touching them with my hands. The same cannot, of course, but said for getting them back on. This is unlike most KSO-style VFFs, which require you to deal with a velcro strap or laces.

If I only had one set of VFFs, this would be it. It's a great everyday shoe, and while it doesn't have the higher level of protection or tread found on the Spyridon, it's got a better ground feel, lower cost, and still works very well on the trail. What remains to be seem (at least by me) is how it compares in the wear department. My first set of VFFs, the kangaroo leather clad KSO Trek, has just this past year (after about 5 years of hiking) started to need repair.

More than any of my other VFFs, this model fits like a glove. I really like it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love em'/Hate 'em, July 30, 2014
Nevermindme "tyrantxii" (Patterson, NY United States) - See all my reviews
If your considering this shoe at all then you are aware of the benefits of barefoot or something like it, so we nee not get into that area.
This shoe, with it's thin sole, makes for a pretty good tool if your looking for foot strength or to transition to completely,honestly barefoot hiking. It provides adequate protection from hidden stones and pointy things that would make a normal barefoot hiker spew multitudinous obscenities, but not so much protection that the foot does not get effected and become a bit tougher from the pain.
They completely fail in two areas however; leaf covered hills and wet surfaces. You want to stick to fairly even and dry terrain, which is not to say avoid all hills and wet conditions. Just wet rock and dry, leaf covered hills. They are also definitely not a water shoe, lack of wet rock grip aside, they're just not made for it.
After many miles in these shoes they are falling apart, so I would not recommend them based on lack of durability. These shoes would however, be excellent for a runner who knows how to run barefoot, IMO.
Sizing: Check the Vibram five finger homepage for decent guidelines. I went one size larger than recommended...wish I had gone two. Still a bit tight on second toe.
So they're overall good, just not for me. Even though I still like 'em.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am not a barefoot runner - part II, February 16, 2014
***UPDATE 9/10/14***
I have skated the heck out of these shoes and they are holding up extremely well. Visible wear is close to zero. I longboard an average ~ 24 miles per week. I remain very pleased and will buy them again if they ever wear out.
******

I'm a skateboarder. I ride a 48in x 16in ungripped homebuilt wooden fish board. These have replaced my beloved Merrell Vapor Gloves as my favorite longboard shoe. The Merrells are great, but these are better. I don't run, although I have used them on the treadmill at the YMCA and have walked a bit in them. I believe I 'd want more cushioning for any serious running or walking, but for longboarding these are the absolute best I have found. Sizing is a bit problematic: I typically wear a size 10.5 shoe and have a wide foot. The sizing wizard on the manufacturer's site suggested a 42. I ordered a 43 and am very glad I upsized. I initially thought these were too small, but am now very pleased with the fit. They broke in over a few weeks and now slip on easily and aren't too tight and feel secure on my feet. Love the slip on design sans laces or straps.
My application is a bit specialized: I want an absolute minimal barefoot shoe to help me emulate surfing. These are the best shoe I've found for this app, and it's difficult to imagine a better shoe. I don't like grip tape and these shoes provide all the grip I need. To sum up: I love these shoes, and recommend them, but give size selection some thought and understand that the EL-X is very, very minimal footwear.

2.0 out of 5 stars Falling apart, April 16, 2014
I've worn these shoes - Inside only while I do massage therapy. about 40 days. Now they are falling apart. The toes are peeling away from the soles on both shoes. I really like the way they fit and feel. Too bad they don't last. I like to wear them, but won't buy another pair because they are not durable

5.0 out of 5 stars Last of the TRUE Fivefingers?, December 18, 2014
I guess Vibram decided to change their business model after the horror stories of injuries and the class action lawsuit, but they seem to defy their own logic as of late. One of the pioneers of minimalist footwear seems to introduce shoes with more substantial outsoles and more and more EVA midsole every year. This shoe is the lone exception to the recent change in Vibram's product offerings (at least for men). Very minimal sole substance (under 3mm) and no-frills design -- just like the KSO that brought Vibram into the spotlight in the first place.

I've had several pair of Fivefingers, and these are my absolute favorite. Not only is groud feel outstanding in these (just as good if not better than the original KSO's), I find the stretchy quality of the upper to lend itself well to both fit and ease of entry. They are also extremely lightweight -- I barely notice they're on when wearing these.

Whether you're a die-hard fan of the old "toe shoes" or just now trying them out, I believe the EL-X to be the best of what Vibram has to offer. Buy them while you can before Vibram adds them to the growing list of excellent shoes that have been discontinued.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly snug, May 13, 2014
I'm a Massage Therapist and I specifically ordered these shoes for an event and for future use in doing massage however, after ordering what I thought was my correct size, they were still slightly snug. More than likely I'm going to end up ordering a bigger size AGAIN!!!!! Other than trying to get my right size I really do love these shoes.

I would recommend these shoes to anyone, besides trying to figure out the right size to get they are actually comfortable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as Secure as Other Models, November 20, 2013
This is my fifth pair of Vibram FiveFingers. I have worn other pairs for running, training, and just every-day wear. While these look good and are reasonably comfortable, whenever wearing them I can't get over the feeling that they are just going to pop off at any moment, which they occasionally do. I miss the original styles.....

Vibram FiveFingers EL-X Men's Running Shoes