Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Size: 20" FrenchChange
Price:$35.14 - $49.00

Sometime you just have to get back to the basics. Sometimes, it's the simplest design that works the best. Sometimes, all those fancy, additional features offered are just not worth it.

I think that this is the perfect example. This rolling pin is so simple, so basic - yet so perfect. The price is perfect too. It does the job. Period. It's light, beautiful, easy to clean, easy to store, not big and bulky. I think that it is absolutely perfect and I cannot find any faults to it. There are a lot of options when it comes to rolling pins and now they even make silicone ones that won't stick to the dough. I think those are excellent products as well. But I'm a little more traditional and here is a very beautiful and simple wood one...and in this case, I prefer the wood to the silicone. Maybe because making bread items is so basic and so traditional...so the wood in this case just "fits" into the whole feel better. If I were to splurge though, I'd have both in my kitchen...even though I see no need for two pins - I did say "splurge".
11 comment65 of 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 25, 2000
Much easier to use than traditional rolling pin because instead of gripping the handles, your handles glide over the top making rolling much less effort. The tapered thin rolling pin enables me to have more control over the thickness of the dough. I can press down hard or use a light hand.
0Comment41 of 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2005
The other reviewers are quite right that this pin will get your pie dough smooth and round without all the fuss you are accustomed to. However, you will truly feel tears of joy and gratitude welling up in your eye sockets the first time you roll out a batch of tortilla dough with this handsome little devil. Hallelujah!!! Nothing is more embarrassing than presenting your guests with unshapely flatbreads (burnt because you toiled so long on each that the previous one was neglected on the griddle). This beauty gets it done with speed, dignity, and a touch of sass.
0Comment64 of 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2008
I ordered this without knowing the dimensions, which were not given in the description. The Vic Frith French Rolling pin was smooth and well made, but too short, too thin, and the taper began right at the middle, so that the center section was not flat, which made it difficult to roll pastry evenly. I measured the Frith dimensions as 20 inches long by 1 1/2 inches in diameter, and then ordered a larger model made by Fantes, 20 1/2 by 1 3/4 diameter, which worked much better.
77 comments76 of 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2006
I agree that this is a great rolling pin.

I have had many different types over the years including marble and ones with gears inside. I purchased this because it was "easier on the earth" with less manufactuing involved. AND, there was nothing to break. I am happy to say that I really do love it and it works better than my previous rolling pins. The only downside is that it is much longer than rolling pins with handles so finding a spot for storage might be a problem. Other than that it is perfect -- nicely made and very smooth.
on October 5, 2000
My daughter requested a rolling pin "just like Mom's" for her birthday - but finding a duplicate of my 30-year-old model was nearly impossible until Vic Firth stepped up to the (pie) plate and hit a home run. The roller is smooth maple; the handles are comfortable to grip, both for my daughter's small hands and my large ones; the ball bearings make rolling quick and effortless; the barrel's 3" diameter means less work is needed to get the goodies from bowl to oven to mouth; the weight is good for multiple dough types, from light pastries to fluffy biscuits to hearty breads. With a product like this, pie baking may be rescued from its "lost art" status!
VINE VOICEon February 1, 2007
This rolling pin is a heaven-sent piece of kitchen equipment and I would like to send my former teflon coated rolling pin to some other non-heavenlike place...

Rolling dough with this is very easy and it stays coated with flour quite well. I usually have a ton of problems with dough sticking to my rolling pin, but not with this one... AT ALL.

Also, it rolls the dough extremely evenly - which is a nice bonus.

The shape is really simple too, so clean up is a snap.

This is a real winner for beginners and experts alike. I highly recommend it. It would make a great gift for someone who loves to bake as well.
For some reason, this tapered rolling pin excels at rolling out pastry dough. I think you can apply more pressure in the middle of the rolling pin and that makes the dough spread out more easily than just continuous even pressure of a normal rolling pin.

I tend to use both the old-fashioned traditional rolling pin and this one. I use the traditional one for rolling out dough I need in a square/rectangle shape and the tapered one for rolling out pastry dough and tortillas.

So, if you are wondering why it is so hard to roll out pie crust, try this rolling pin and I can promise you will have a smile on your face! French pastry makers have this one covered!

~The Rebecca Review
review image
on December 16, 2008
I got this rolling pin to replace my old cylindrical pin, which had wobbly handles. I figured a pin that was made of a single piece of wood would be sturdier and easier to control.

In practice tho, the steep taper makes it much more sensitive and more difficult to control, so it's actually harder to get an even thickness. The small diameter (less than 2 inches) doesn't help either. Maybe if you're working with very hard and difficult to shape dough this would be a good pin to use, but then I'd probably want something heavier.

Overall it's a functional but awkward pin.
on September 9, 2005
I believe this company's other claim to fame is the manufacture of wooden drum sticks. When I have the time (and the patience) I am going to test this $9 pin against my $44 silicone pin. I suspect this one, due to its high degree of maneuverability, may come out on top.

Do remember to have very clean hands though and keep them dry. Sweaty palms will force you to adjust the salt in your recipe. :o)
0Comment16 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse