Top positive review
3,026 of 3,094 people found this helpful
an honest review
on December 4, 2010
I love Amazon because of the reviews. For the most part, the reviews are honest, detailed and very helpful, especially when a true defect or some other "quirk" is described. However, many of the reviews for this item are really...bizarre! I have to wonder what some of these reviewers were actually thinking. Also, are they are realistic in their expectations? It is what it is - an inexpensive humidifier. It WILL make some noise, It will NOT humidify your entire house, it WILL require cleaning and care, it will NOT last forever, etc.
1) This item is being shipped from a warehouse to your home. If it arrives broken, cracked, leaking or damaged in any way, contact Amazon- they offer one of the best return policies around. This is an issue with whoever shipped it, not a reason to leave a one-star rating.
2) This is a HUMIDIFIER and uses tap water and electricity to create a heated mist. Should you be horrified to find mold or mildew? NO. Does it require regular maintenance and cleaning? YES. There is no way around it. If you allow water to sit, mold will grow. If you use tap water, there is a good chance you will have mineral deposits. Inspect the humidifier each time you fill it.
When you re-fill the tank, give it a good rinsing out. It if smells, add a teaspoon of bleach, swish it around and dump it out.
If it has deposits around the heating element, pour vinegar into the bottom, let it sit for a few hours, take a small toothbrush to it and rinse it out.
If it has deposits on the plastic pieces, remove them from the unit and soak them in vinegar, same as above. It is not difficult to disassemble at all.
It is a fact of life, humidifiers need to be cleaned and maintained.
3) This is a very INEXPENSIVE humidifier. Is it helpful to compare it to a humidifier that costs 5x as much? NO. That is like comparing a Toyota Corolla (MSRP 25K) to a Bentley Continental (MSRP 175K).
4) This is an electrical device. Like anything that uses electricity, it has the potential to start a fire. Even though it has an automatic shut-off, I wouldn't bet my house on it. Pay a little attention to it and treat it like any other electrical device.
5) Seriously, having to carry it by it's handle with the plug on top is a big issue? Would you carry a bottle of water (or any liquid with a screw cap, for that matter) upside down? As for the leaking, screwing the cap on tightly and carrying it by it's handle would probably help.
6) Will it last for a lifetime? NO. Does any inexpensive product last beyond a few years? NO. Will the gaskets dry out if it is stored for long periods of time? It's entirely possible. Again, this is an INEXPENSIVE humidifier.
BOTTOM LINE: It is very reasonable priced, does a good job and lasts a couple of years if you take care of it. I am about to make my 4th purchase of this exact humidifier. I read the reviews to see if anything changed or if a better, similarly priced unit was introduced into the market. The answer is NO. This is the best deal for the money.
****UPDATE**** 11/19/2011 Almost one year later, last week I pulled out the humidifiers and gave 'em a nice, thorough cleaning, set 'em up and they are working perfectly. I am going on at least my 5th New England winter with the first one I bought, and it still works like new - whisper quiet, zero leaking, couldn't be happier for the price! From the looks of it, Amazon's price hasn't changed much either (although it does fluctuate day-to-day). It's still the BEST YOU"LL FIND in this price range!