5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful mystery!
Victim is a beautifully written mystery with a great plot and characters. It seems as though the setting is one of the characters, it's so alive and real! I loved the legend of walking bear and the native philosophy especially from Agnes Lake. I can't wait to read more so I can find out what happened to Emily Taylor in Vancouver.
Published on January 17, 2012 by Nana

1.0 out of 5 stars not so much...
One star for great editing (very few errors) and the interesting use of tribal provenance.

The rest:

Published on May 27, 2012 by Christine Staeven

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful mystery!, January 17, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantabulous!, January 7, 2012
This review is from: Victim (An Emily Taylor Mystery Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely loved this book and the entire series. I've never been much of a mystery reader but Mrs. Astolfo broke the mould for me. Her style is so poetic and weaves such an inlaid tapestry of character development and mystery that truly does keep you guessing. Her red herrings are not obvious so you aren't sitting there at page 10 with the ending already known. I was so impressed and hooked that I read it in one sitting and then regretted it because I missed being with the characters. Luckily she has more than one book. I love the integration of history and mythology as well as the sense of community and how wonderful all the characters are. They are so textured and real that you put the book down and expect to be able to greet them as they pass you on the street, a new or old friend. I recommend this book to anyone; mystery lover or not.

1.0 out of 5 stars not so much..., May 27, 2012

The rest:

There are over 30 characters included in this tale. Each is described in minute detail every time we encounter them in the book. Many are cardboard cutouts of each other due to the lack of original adjectives author uses to describe. Strong, muscular, almond or almond shaped, round, stocky, straight black hair, broad, are all adjectives used multiple times to describe women characters. Only the main character (petite), Frances (mused) and Ruth (red haired beauty) are (seeming) unique women. The men are weak character wise (Henry, Basil, Peter all snivel at some point) . Each scene is described with such minutiae it is like walking in hip deep boring mud. There is just a real lack of originality with regards to the descriptions (thus, making them just a bunch of gobbing goop to skim over after a while) . How many times DOES a reader need to be told how much Emily loves her home (and all the details)? Apparently, MORE than 4. Problem with that? Nothing changed with each time we have to read it. How many times can we hear about Langford's soft hairs? More than 3. How many times do we need to read that Frances is mused? At least 3. How many instances can an author use a running scene wherein the character has to strip off and put on layers of clothing? 4. How many times can an author use snotty running from nose in a scene in a book. At least 2 times. May is described no less than 6 times (but nothing changed in her appearance) . Freida at least 4 times. Oona is described at least as many times and related to Freida, May, and Agnes. It went on and on with the detailed descriptions of mud, frost, sky, each room in each residence (as well as the complete inventory of all the plant life in yard) . The reason so much of this is not good is due to fact that, aside from the ONE shrub encounter, none of the minutiae drove the plot, the scene, or developed either of those to a furthering degree either. It was a painful read. I felt as if I was sitting in the first week of first semester writing course for freshmen. Remedial at best. It took me LESS time to read "Game of Thrones" which has over 800 pages.

The plot was original idea to me. But much was not presented while story was going through paces. Likely pushed aside for all the gobbing detail that did not further plot. Instead, we get a summary near the end about key stuff that happened that we never knew about (but would have been great plot devices IN the tale). The blanket swatch was something that would have served better were it shown as it happened, not TOLD to us later. There are a number of things hinted at in book that never lead anywhere (well, to another book...blech) .

I do not recommend this book for reasons stated above. I again got sucked in by rave reviews. Further study of the reviews shows that ALL BUT ONE appear to be friends and /or family that did NOT disclose the nature of relationship in review. Partiality is questionable in such instances. Sorry - but it is.

Cbristine

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, June 28, 2014
This review is from: Victim (An Emily Taylor Mystery Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Very worth reading. Give is try, hang in there......Interesting book, good plot, very well written, keep going with series.. looking forward to next book!

3.0 out of 5 stars good book, March 3, 2014
This review is from: Victim (An Emily Taylor Mystery Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Pretty good book. A bit too much foreshadowing and referencing past events. One character has 2 different names and it gets confusing at times. Supposedly it will get cleared up in book 4. Since this is book 1, that is a longways to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Victim"by Catherine Astolfo, January 16, 2014
This review is from: Victim (An Emily Taylor Mystery Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I couldn't put it down.
The legends with their twists and turns made for exciting reading.
I like learning of different regions and the people who live there.
I recommend reading this book and I'll be buying the series of EMILY TALOR MYSTERY BOOKS.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enoyable, April 7, 2013
This review is from: Victim (An Emily Taylor Mystery Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Would have gotten a five star but misspelled words drive me crazy. It was a good story line and kept my interest to the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and well crafted mystery!, March 2, 2013
This review is from: Victim (An Emily Taylor Mystery Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Catherine Astolfo kept me up all night with book #2 in the Emily Taylor series. The protagonist, the amateur sleuth, Emily Taylor, becomes involved in many adventures, some of which are dangerous. When her assistant's Native Canadian aunt goes missing, Emily is on the case. The reader along with Emily, learns the traditions and myths of the Ojibwa tribe. Astolfo tenderly introduces us to the tribe members, their traditions, and their life styles.

Astolfo also gives us the greedy outsiders that are building a subdivision near the village and near tribal land. The greed of the outsiders and the opposition by the tribe and village is vividly portrayed.

The scenery and weather (which plays an important part to the story) are wonderfully described. Astolfo reminds us that Mother Earth must be protected and her resources used wisely.

If you want a good mystery with a few thrills tossed in, I recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another enjoyable Emily Taylor mystery, February 28, 2013
This review is from: Victim (An Emily Taylor Mystery Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
This is the second Emily Taylor mystery and I enjoyed it as much if not a bit more then then the first book, The Bridgeman. The reason for that is I enjoy learning new things when I read and while I know that the legend of Walking Bear is fictional the description of the Ojibwa and their customs and history is interesting and entertaining.

I'm enjoying getting to know Emily and Langford (Will) a little better with a few subtle hints into their past and I can't wait to get to the 4th book which tells their story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Victim was wonderful., July 27, 2014
This review is from: Victim (An Emily Taylor Mystery Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I love the history of the Canadian Indians. The story took wonderful turns and I didn't want to put it down.

Shenandaigua

Victim (An Emily Taylor Mystery Book 2)
$3.99