Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD

on June 25, 1997
This is a great book of short stories. If you like Maeve Binchy's short stories you will have a wonderful time. But be warned, this book has been published in the United States as "London Transports." If you've read one, you've read the other
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 6, 2000
I really enjoyed this collection of short stories. Often I would stop reading and think to myself, "Why is this so familiar?". This book was actually published in the US under the title London Transport....and I had read it! In this collection Maeve Binchy looks into the lives of the many people who come and go on London's underground every day. This book offers up a wonderful cross section of society and engaging characters. Binchey is at her best describing people and their frailities. There are no clear cut heros or villians, rather the people are infused with a humanity and humor that carry you along. If you're a Binchy fan this is a must add to your colection (unless you already have London Transport). A treat to read and to reread.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 13, 2012
Just thought there may have been a bit more to it. I was disappointed that the endings of each title were not concluded. Maybe I'm just spoilt through the authors other novels and wanted the stories to have an actual ending.

Still, the warmth was there.
on May 5, 2013
I chose this book only because it was written by Maeve Binchy and it was one that I had never read. I didn't want to put it down as I felt it would close a chapter of my own life, one in which I have so enjoyed all of her books all for the same reason. Her style is so natural and she makes every character come alive. She is a true storyteller and as I read the book I felt as though I was having a cup of tea with her as she told me all her stories sitting at the kitchen table. Maeve will be so missed by thousands of people like me who cherished every word she wrote.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon May 31, 2015
I have always enjoyed Maeve Binchy's books and this one was no exception. I purchased this book in order to have a book of short stories to take on a little trip that we made recently. I have been delighted with this book. The stories are excellent, thought provoking and very memorable. I even discussed one of the stories with my son as we traveled home. He thought I was telling a true story about something that I had seen or encountered. All of the characters are great. They are, to me, real people that I might meet somebody. Maeve Binchy has such a wonderful imagination and such a gift for writing. After I read one of her short stories, I really want to know more about the chief characters and what happened to them. I want to know if the lady who shop lifted ever got caught. I want to know if the new girl in the apartment with the girl in the wheelchair ever figures out what is really happening. I also want to know about Rita and her television star boyfriend and her husband in prison. Maeve Binchy keeps me wondering about all of these interesting people. I want to go to Ireland and look all of them up and ask questions. She makes them seem so very real. Five stars for sure for Miss Maeve. She is a delight.
on August 15, 2012
I'm so disappointed: I'd thought this was a Maeve Binchy collection I hadn't read yet, but it's all repeats from other books. I should have read the other reviews!

It contains these stories:

Oxford Circus
Tottenham Court Road
Chancery Lane
on January 19, 2014
I really enjoy Maeve Binchy books, but I think I like her novels better. She has a very simple writing style, that is easy to understand and unpretentious. I feel that I am there, either as a participant or an onlooker. Most of her books do have flawed characters trying to get by with whatever situation they find themselves in, so they tend to be somewhat sad or depressing. This set of short stories seemed to be more that way than her novels. It was enjoyable, and I did finish it, but if you've never read Maeve Binchy, start with a novel. My favorite is Evening Class.
on January 18, 2011
While I have enjoyed Maeve Binchy's books, must confess that I am not keen on short stories and should have taken more time to check out the title info. If I have time to sit and read, prefer to have a story that I can get into and get to know the characters a bit more. However, the short stories did have some interesting perspectives on people in general and made for very light holiday reading.
on January 2, 2013
great book by a great author, i love anything maeve binchey writes!!!! this is a book of short stories that she does so well, a must have for the maeve binchy collector,i have all of her novels and this one must have slipped through the cracks because i hadent heard of this book or saw it advertised, i am a follower of her work. i wasnt dissapointed with this quick short read
on January 30, 2013
I've read every book this author has released so far. I enjoy them all. I like the one story books better than her short stories. I really like the way she has woven a lot of the characters from different novels together with new characters in her newest books. She will surely be missed by a lot of people. If you like Irish stories, you'll love Maeve Binchy.